Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

vulturesrow posted:

What size pack would be good considering I probably won't be doing anything over a weekend any time soon?

For packs, its sort of personal preference depending on how much you want to carry. Weekend trips take about the same amount of gear as a weeklong backpacking trip, the biggest difference is the amount of food and clothes you bring. For weeklong trips, I prefer something 50-70L. If you have to carry gear for your kids, you might want to get a slightly bigger pack to accommodate the additional gear. You can always pack less, but its hard to pack more than your pack can hold. I try to avoid overpacking by keeping a list of things I didn't use on my last trip. Over time you figure out what you can do with or without.

I've collected a few packs over the years for various reasons, I also travel with my packs since I hate suitcases but top loading packs get annoying to travel with.

Mountainsmith Circuit - 85L monster which was my first backpacking pack, learned what I did and didn't like about it so I changed it out after a while). I loved the shoulder straps, back panel and hip belt as they were one of the most comfortable systems I've ever used. Didn't like the external pockets which created a lot of unnecessary weight/bulk and encouraged overpacking. This has become a loaner pack for newbie friends.

Mountainsmith Cross Country - 70L (more like 60 without the detachable day pack) which is my current primary backpacking pack. What I love about it is that its smaller than the circuit but has the same comfortable shoulder/hip/back panel system. The U zipper front access is really nice as well, makes packing a breeze. The only thing I don't like about it is one of the cross straps is too high but thats about it. It was around $200 but backcountry has one for $107 right now. I bought mine around $150 on sale, now that its an older model, its much cheaper. http://www.backcountry.com/mountainsmith-cross-country-3.0-backpack-4302cu-in?rr=t

Gregory Savant 58 - This is my newest weekend pack, I'm trying to turn it into my primary backpacking pack if I can shed some weight/bulk from my current gear. Its small enough that I've brought it as a carry on and fits in the overhead compartment just fine. Has top and front U zipper access like my MS CC, nice shoulder straps and hip belt, just not as comfortable as my Mountansmith stuff.

vulturesrow posted:

What trails in the Pasayten are you looking at?

When we were in Pasayten, we hiked from the Canyon creek trailhead and did a northbound out and back, we had a first timer so we didn't get very far, just a little past Jackita Ridge. We spent a day trying to ascend Crater Mountain but decided to call it quits just shy of the summit because the scrambling became more difficult/dangerous than we were willing to tackle. I would say this specific trail probably isn't very good for families because you hit a section of switchbacks within 30 minutes of leaving the car which will make you curse your mother, the god you believe in, and all your stupid friends for agreeing to do such a hike. It took us several hours (4 - 5 I think?) to get through them. I think you go from 1500 ft to 5600 ft in the process and it is literally non-stop back and forth switchbacks the entire way. Once you get past them it gets much nicer, gentle alpine meadows, easy to tackle peaks, mountain views for 360º. The way down isn't much better though. My knees were on fire after going back down the switchbacks.

I've got a few books on washington trails, primarily the north cascades so I can look through them but really there's so much out there you can't go wrong no matter where you go. You could always drive out to Harts pass and hike from there as well. The drive is pretty nerve racking though especially if you're not a fan of heights. You could also just car camp closer to North Cascades NP before you get to Pasayten.

Verman fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

king of the bongo posted:

Have you checked out Deuter bags at all? I am really happy with my speedlite by them and find that their bags can fit a lot into them for their size. Not sure if that holds up the same for their larger trekking bags but it might be worth checking them out. My speedlite has also been abused a bunch for daily commuting and it still keeps ticking.

I have a Deuter ACT Trail 30 and it's a near perfect daypack. It has a really cool feature where the entire front can unzip open like luggage, which makes getting stuff from the bottom of your bag super easy, and I think it's a standard feature on most of their packs. Very handy in winter where the top of the pack is not easily accessible due to the extra gear you're carrying.

talktapes fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 9, 2015

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

BaseballPCHiker posted:

You're in British Columbia right? Every time you post photos it looks amazing. I have to get some time clear to go up there one summer and spend a month. Instead I'm stuck in Minnesota and Alaska until winter.

If you were headed up there for the first time what areas would you recommend exploring first?

Yeah, as was stated, I'm in Southern Alberta, but I've done a bunch in the BC Rockies too, the provincial border is partly drawn along the continental divide.

I can't say not to go to the big two famous National Parks: Banff and Jasper. They deserve the recognition they get. But I like the lesser known ones too. Those are Yoho and Kootenay, both in BC. BC Rockies also has a few provincial parks with no vehicle access. Assiniboine is a great one, you either backpack or fly in by helicopter.

I spend most of my time in a place called Kananaskis. It's the eastern ranges within an hour or two drive of Calgary. There's a lot of hiking, backpacking, scrambling, and paddling opportunities, often with fewer restrictions than the national parks. The mountains are smaller, so most are scrambles and can usually be done in a day including driving from the city and back. I totally love it there.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

alnilam posted:

Vulturesrow: normally I'd say 50ish, add others said, as that will take you up to several-day trips and encourage you to learn to pack light. But are you going to be going on backpacking trips with your kids? Are they old enough to carry much or are you going to be carrying a significant amount of their stuff?

This is a good question and probably something I should've addressed. The ones that are likely to go on an overnight/multi-day backpacking trek are old enough to carry at least "their stuff"and a little more. I do like the idea of going a little bigger just in case. I will definitely look in to the options some of you have mentioned.

Thank you everyone for taking so much care in answering my questions. Unfortunately, you've ony encouraged me to ask more. Is there a way to get charts online at a high enough resolution to make them printable?

bunnielab posted:

Yea, once I started buying good rain gear for work I rarely have a problem staying dry while walking around a show site all day. It is no where near as strenuous as hiking so I don't sweat too badly but I do bike around the farm during storms and even with sweating I am still pretty dry when I get home.

Edit: The farm goats escape a few times a year and I have had to go fetch them. They do sort of follow us but they absolutely will stall and wander to eat interesting things so you need to get a loose rope on them.

What rain gear do you use?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

vulturesrow posted:

What rain gear do you use?

Most recently a Marmot Artemis (that I got for like $75 thanks to some link one of you lovely people posted a year or so ago!), a pair of Kokatat kayaking pants, and whatever waterproof hiking boots I currently own.

But I have found that any of the actual gortex jackets from decent brands will keep me dry for a long long time. I destroy jackets at work so I tend to buy any jacket that I see for 50-75% off and just stockpile them around, I keep one in the car, one in my jobbox, one in my small workbox, one around the house for chores, etc. I probably own 4-5 good rain jackets at any given time.

I went years just wearing a dickies hoodie all the time because all I had experience with was cheap trash bag jackets that made me sweat to death.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember

evil_bunnY posted:

It's a great emergency shell IMO. No pit zips so you will sweat it out quick like.
Thanks, I'll give it a try sometime and see what it's like because while I realize hiking in the rain while wearing a waterpoof jacket will mean sweating I can always use it as a regular rain jacket for non hiking related activities.

I received a gift card for a local store that specializes in hiking/outdoor activities, time to go look for a new backpack, my first tent or hammock. Osprey makes good backpacks correct?

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Osprey packs are good, though they're not the lightest. Their guarantee is awesome and they will repair/replace damaged packs forever.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

whatupdet posted:

Thanks, I'll give it a try sometime and see what it's like because while I realize hiking in the rain while wearing a waterpoof jacket will mean sweating I can always use it as a regular rain jacket for non hiking related activities.

I received a gift card for a local store that specializes in hiking/outdoor activities, time to go look for a new backpack, my first tent or hammock. Osprey makes good backpacks correct?

I absolutely love my Osprey Volt 75. It's a budget pack with the basic features of higher end stuff, and the perfect capacity to carry everything on the inside (especially if you're hammocking). I previously had a Kelty external, which was great for organization/easy access, but didn't have the internal capacity to carry my hammock setup

The type of cinch they use for the waist belt is awesome, and helps you torque it down easily.

Like everyone else said, a gore tex type jacket is a good impermeable outer shell for temperature/wind protection, but you'll still wind up soaked inside from condensation. You just have to adjust your expectations that anything waterproof is only mildly breathable.

Still great to have, just look for one with pit zips to help alleviate moisture buildup. Most important is what you wear undeath--wool or synthetic fabrics will wick water so you dry faster.

Pushing the hammock agenda here, but
Hennessy hammocks is having an awesome sale right now.
My buddy just bought the whole setup, converting from an REI quarter dome tent + neoair inflatable pad + Kelty Cosmic Down bag.

Just my two cents, but I always see people convert to hammocks eventually, and never the other way around. Buy it right, buy it once.

e: nvm, sale's over with I think

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 5, 2015

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

OSU_Matthew posted:

e: nvm, sale's over with I think

Aww :(

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember

OSU_Matthew posted:

I absolutely love my Osprey Volt 75. It's a budget pack with the basic features of higher end stuff, and the perfect capacity to carry everything on the inside (especially if you're hammocking).
If I buy a new pack I'm most looking forward to a 2-3L water bladder, definitely beats carrying one bottle and using water treatment or carrying multiple bottles.

quote:

Most important is what you wear underneath--wool or synthetic fabrics will wick water so you dry faster.
I can't say I've ever been cold on a hike so I don't own any fleece or wool layers but do have synthetic (running) shirts.

turevidar posted:

Osprey packs are good, though they're not the lightest. Their guarantee is awesome and they will repair/replace damaged packs forever.
Good to know, what brand(s) are good for lightweight?

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

So my wife up and decided to get a pair of these sleeping bags. - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IS8DGAW

$25, synthetic fill, 40 degree rating, so nothing very substantial. But for 3-season hammock camping in Texas, I think it's about right. Also, they weigh 1.75lbs and pack down to about the size of a football. I could see overnighting with one of these.

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006
whats a fyad :(

whatupdet posted:

Good to know, what brand(s) are good for lightweight?

It all depends on what support you want. The magic number for a fully supported pack is about 2 pounds, you cant really get below that without making the pack out of expensive and not durable material like cuben.

The ULA Circuit is the "numba 1 pack" in the fully supported 2 pound range, but I really, really like my Osprey Exos Pack and it weighs a little less and costs a quite a bit less.

Unsupported packs aren't really my thing, so someone else will have to chime in there.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I have a Jetboil that prepares boiling water but gets totally hosed up if I try to cook in it. I tried using and reusing one Mountain House pouch to rehydrate stuff (like couscous or oatmeal that doesn't need continuous heat) but this is pretty unhygienic and untasty. What's the best option - freezer bags to cook in, a titanium bowl, or just get a stove that simmers and a cookpot? I think having the ability to do real cooking would be kind of fun, if I have the energy by the time I camp.

Thanks for the help with this, several of you. I got an Olicamp aluminum pot with a heat exchanger and a tiny Snow Peak stove. The igniter is not the most reliable - i'll still carry a Bic - but it boils water real fast, it's fine to eat out of because I can clean it easily, and i can do some light cooking with the aluminum surface and variable power valve. It's worked well for one trip at least.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 6, 2015

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
I went for a short hike to Devil's Head Fire Lookout today. I only got pictures on the way down because my ghettofabulous hyperlapse setup [iPhone 6 fastened to my backpack strap with cloth tape :j:] ended up with some gnarly overexposure.

IMG_1600 by WestslopeBruin, on Flickr
The card the ranger, Bill Ellis, gives you in the lookout tower.

IMG_1601_2 by WestslopeBruin, on Flickr
Ranger Ellis

IMG_1604_2 by WestslopeBruin, on Flickr
The meadow below the lookout, where the ranger cabin is located.

IMG_1603_2 by WestslopeBruin, on Flickr
Pano toward the west. Pikes Peak is to the north, but was obscured by clouds today.

IMG_1606_2 by WestslopeBruin, on Flickr
Traverse to the stairs.

IMG_1611 by WestslopeBruin, on Flickr
The stairs up. He goes down to the cabin once a day for lunch.

IMG_1619_2 by WestslopeBruin, on Flickr
The lookout from the meadow.

IMG_1622_2 by WestslopeBruin, on Flickr
Poor photograph, but that's the cabin Mr. Ellis has called "home" every summer for 31 years. He works 5 days on, 2 off.

IMG_1627 by WestslopeBruin, on Flickr
The trail goes down through a neat cleft in the Pikes Peak granite.

IMG_1635_2 by WestslopeBruin, on Flickr
View west from the trail.

The lookout was built in 1912, and continues its function today. The trail is very well maintained and only 1.5 miles one way with about 1,000' of gain, but it's a pain to get to. The entire Rampart Range area is gorgeous and has great hiking as well as a number of sport and trad climbing routes and great camping areas. Trying to convince my posse to head down there with me next weekend.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
I climbed up Mt James today, straightforward yet steep at the end, 16.5 miles, 4700ft elev gain.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Finally got my ALPS Lynx 1 tent after months of it being out of stock :D Can't wait to break it in here in the Tetons asap!

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Smoove J posted:

I climbed up Mt James today, straightforward yet steep at the end, 16.5 miles, 4700ft elev gain.

That's a great view!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Hungryjack posted:

So my wife up and decided to get a pair of these sleeping bags. - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IS8DGAW

$25, synthetic fill, 40 degree rating, so nothing very substantial. But for 3-season hammock camping in Texas, I think it's about right. Also, they weigh 1.75lbs and pack down to about the size of a football. I could see overnighting with one of these.

Please report back on this. I am a week or two out from buying myself a bag and that looks perfect to get me through the summer and fall until I can figure out what I really want.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

bunnielab posted:

Please report back on this. I am a week or two out from buying myself a bag and that looks perfect to get me through the summer and fall until I can figure out what I really want.
drat that is some serious value there.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Welp, nothing like bailing out 100 feet from a summit cause someone didn't think I'd need crampons (it was me).

White Cloud mountains, Castle Peak on the right

Stupid still solid snow

2.7 miles and 3400 feet one way on that.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You dudes that climb mountains are my heroes. I have no idea how you do it, but it's amazing. I'm still trying to get the whole "go upwards" thing down after living in Florida my entire life.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Internet Explorer posted:

You dudes that climb mountains are my heroes. I have no idea how you do it, but it's amazing. I'm still trying to get the whole "go upwards" thing down after living in Florida my entire life.

I mostly grew up in Florida and I'm pretty sure that's why I love Washington so much. The diverse terrain and weather just blows me away.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Summits are the greatest. It's been too long since I've been up, thanks to broken bones, broken cars, and various other things.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I've got a list of summits I'm wanting to do this summer. I know no one here is in Idaho but if you're in for some scrambling, scree skiing, and summitting, it's going down this year. Come on out!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Smoove J posted:

These pictures are incredible! Are these climbs the kind with ropes, picks, and the whole nine yards? Or is there more or less a route that's able to be tackled without special skills and equipment (beyond high endurance)?

I'd love to plan a trip to tackle something like this in the next couple of years, but I don't have the experience or equipment to do any real rock climbing.

Hungryjack posted:

:catstare:

I think three season might be an optimistic assessment here. At 1.5 lbs of synthetic fill, this is probably just as good as a light fleece jacket--I'd be surprised if you're comfortable below 70-80°.

A cheap bag is very tempting, I made that mistake with my first backpacking bag before I knew what to look for, and wound up buying a nicer, more expensive bag in short order. I guess you're not out much at that price, but I'm firmly in the camp of a sleeping bag is not something to skimp on. Good bags will have full length draft tubes that run down the entire zipper length to prevent cold air from gushing in there. Also look at the baffles--where the bag is sewn together it creates cold spots with no insulation. Offset baffles prevent this by using diagonal dividers between chambers to spread out insulation and keep it in place, but leave a full offset layer between stitching. A mummy style with hood is also pretty much mandatory if you're going out in any real cold (unless you're using something like a quilt and toboggan cap to sleep in). Other bits like a quality zipper and drawstring around the opening are also key things to look for.

For summer in Texas I'm sure you'll be fine for awhile. Just getting out and realizing what works for you and doesn't is a great way to pick up good stuff over time, and a great incentive to go back out to try out your new kit.

One more quick thought, pick up a cheap fleece sleeping bag to augment the one you have now if you're finding it's not quite doing it for you. That might help get you by till you can pick up a good bag. Also don't forget your bottom insulation. A closed or open cell foam pad (blue eggcrate foam) is only ten bucks and will keep the air/ground from sucking away all the heat away from you. Eventually you can spend in nicer stuff like inflatable pads, or underquilts, but foam will do the job cheaply and nicely.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

OSU_Matthew posted:

These pictures are incredible! Are these climbs the kind with ropes, picks, and the whole nine yards? Or is there more or less a route that's able to be tackled without special skills and equipment (beyond high endurance)?

I'd love to plan a trip to tackle something like this in the next couple of years, but I don't have the experience or equipment to do any real rock climbing.

Thank you, it's impossible to capture the true views with a camera, I don't have the skills, at least. I had an ice axe and crampons with me, and I would have brought a 30m glacier rope but I decided if the ice was found to be that steep and sketchy, I shouldn't be taking my novice partner on it in the first place. I cut some steps on steeper stuff in the morning, but by late afternoon it was soft enough to stomp a good footing into. I'll bring those two pieces of technical gear with me year round, the ropes are very situational. In Glacier Park there are 260+ named summits, in August when the snow is gone, I would estimate that one could find non-technical routes up 90% of them, the rest require the guts to deal with exposure and the knowledge that comes with experience concerning mountaineering skills.

I didn't feel comfortable doing any technical stuff until a few years ago. I could climb non-technical routes up peaks, but then I found some people willing to show me the ropes, so to speak. Sessions at a climbing gym built up strength and technique, the rest I learned and continue learning through mountaineering with people much better than myself.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

:catstare:

I think three season might be an optimistic assessment here. At 1.5 lbs of synthetic fill, this is probably just as good as a light fleece jacket--I'd be surprised if you're comfortable below 70-80°.

A cheap bag is very tempting, I made that mistake with my first backpacking bag before I knew what to look for, and wound up buying a nicer, more expensive bag in short order. I guess you're not out much at that price, but I'm firmly in the camp of a sleeping bag is not something to skimp on. Good bags will have full length draft tubes that run down the entire zipper length to prevent cold air from gushing in there. Also look at the baffles--where the bag is sewn together it creates cold spots with no insulation. Offset baffles prevent this by using diagonal dividers between chambers to spread out insulation and keep it in place, but leave a full offset layer between stitching. A mummy style with hood is also pretty much mandatory if you're going out in any real cold (unless you're using something like a quilt and toboggan cap to sleep in). Other bits like a quality zipper and drawstring around the opening are also key things to look for.

For summer in Texas I'm sure you'll be fine for awhile. Just getting out and realizing what works for you and doesn't is a great way to pick up good stuff over time, and a great incentive to go back out to try out your new kit.

One more quick thought, pick up a cheap fleece sleeping bag to augment the one you have now if you're finding it's not quite doing it for you. That might help get you by till you can pick up a good bag. Also don't forget your bottom insulation. A closed or open cell foam pad (blue eggcrate foam) is only ten bucks and will keep the air/ground from sucking away all the heat away from you. Eventually you can spend in nicer stuff like inflatable pads, or underquilts, but foam will do the job cheaply and nicely.

Don't get me wrong. I know it's a cheap bag and I'm not endorsing it as anything else. My wife got them without telling me so I'm making the best of things. Texas summer nights rarely get below 70. Since I'll be in a hammock with airflow above and below me, you can probably take another 10 degrees off of that for perceived temperature at night. So, with that in mind, I'm camping out at Colorado Bend state park (in Texas, not Colorado) over 4th of July weekend and I will be testing these out. There is nothing about this bag that convinces me it would be acceptable anywhere near 40 degrees, but for my situation, I think it's worth making a go of it. They come with their own compression sacks and the size/weight combo looks to be about right. As my wife said, for $25 how wrong can you go? If I were in a colder place, I might think twice, but I think it's a safe gamble trying this thing out in July. I'll report back on my findings.

I genuinely appreciate your concern. Don't worry. I already have a 15 degree two-person and a bulky 0-rated single which I hardly ever use. I won't take this thing out in any situation where I could get myself in trouble.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Yea, I am interested in one for DC summers, which are like 60-70 and just as humid.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Anyone have recommendations for water flavoring/additives on the trail? I'm going to be doing a 9-day desert trek in a few months and I've found in the past that I start craving lemonade or fruit juice after a couple days on the trail with nothing but water. I figure since I'll doubly need to stay hydrated in the desert I should bring some flavoring along for the water, but I'd rather not end up with something that tastes like cheap sugar powder.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
Crystal Light Fruit Punch is pretty good.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I've done good ol country time lemonade before.

Whatever you get, make sure it has real sugar and isn't sugar free. Anything with zero calories is a waste of space/weight on the trail :colbert:

ronaldreagan
Mar 25, 2005
I just got a box of these True Lime packets and they do taste pretty much just like lime and not like weird sugar or citric acid. It's not a strong flavor but I always want something to cover up the swampy taste of lake water and I'm hoping these will do the trick.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
For the longest time I always used the powdered crap. The problem is that it gets everywhere and causes a mess. It is also creates garbage and can be a pain in bear country if you aren't fully careful.

I have since moved onto those little squeeze bottles of concentrated drink flavoring:

They dont make a mess, weigh less than sugar and are extremely easy to mix. Just put a squirt inn your water bottle and you are usually good.

I especially like it since I don't need/want super sweet water and just something to mask the taste of lovely water. If you want legitimate lemonade it may not be the best option.

A friend of mine also used jello mix in a nalgene as some sort of energy booster on the summit day on Rainier. However that seemed to be more of a one-time energy boost rather than something I would recommend for extended periods.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

The Mio water flavor liquid seems the best to me. A lot stronger and tastier than say those Kool-Aid ones. One little squirt goes a long way, one usually lasts me months. They also have ones with vitamins and crap.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Sierra Nevadan posted:

The Mio water flavor liquid seems the best to me. A lot stronger and tastier than say those Kool-Aid ones. One little squirt goes a long way, one usually lasts me months. They also have ones with vitamins and crap.
I'm on the mio train when I'm outside doing outside things. Perhaps not specifically Mio, most of the store brands are good too, though I'm not sure how much the fitness variants actually do anything other than at times bring slightly more or less (when warm) palatable than water. Doesn't really add much in the calorie department but hopefully isn't a waste of space/weight.

I don't put it in my water bladder though, only bottles.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Does anyone have any experience with Alpaca base layers? Thoughts? Recommendations?

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Pryor on Fire posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Alpaca base layers? Thoughts? Recommendations?

their fur is sufficient layering already

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Discomancer posted:

their fur is sufficient layering already
Badum-tsssssh.

But to answer the question, alpaca is like wool: it's not so much the material as its quality that determines value. Coarse alpaca can be horrible, fine (~20 micron) alpaca without guard hair is comparable to great merino.

Bones81
Oct 28, 2014
Going hiking in Switzerland in a few weeks and looking for daypack recommendations. Overall, I'll be on the trails for 7-8 days but staying in hotels every night, so no need to haul much more than clothes, water, and a bit of food. The 3 I'm strongly considering are:

Osprey Kestrel 32
Deuter ACT Trail 30
Gregory Z 35

Hopefully my local REI has these in stock and I can check them out in person, but would welcome any feedback you may have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Bones81 posted:

Going hiking in Switzerland in a few weeks and looking for daypack recommendations. Overall, I'll be on the trails for 7-8 days but staying in hotels every night, so no need to haul much more than clothes, water, and a bit of food. The 3 I'm strongly considering are:

Osprey Kestrel 32
Deuter ACT Trail 30
Gregory Z 35

Hopefully my local REI has these in stock and I can check them out in person, but would welcome any feedback you may have.

That size is the sweet spot I'm looking at as well. Please keep me posted on what you pick and why.