Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Sankis posted:

I'm sure it's concurrent with or after Fallout 3. That game had the same issues in regard to the setting. It was 200 years after the apocalypse but the world was like the bombs fell only a generation ago. It's why I like the progression of Fallout 1 -> 2 -> New Vegas so much. There's a progression of people adapting to their new environment even if things are still immensely hosed.

Fallout 3 also overdid the 1950s thing way too much. It's like they thought it was literally the 1950s instead of the future as seen by popular science in the 1950s.

NV's issue is that it talks about new socieites, but everything is still run down like it was a generation after the bombs fell. Abandonded buildings are everywhere despite it being more than 200 years after the bombs fell and places where people live, like Aerotech Park and the various barracks in places like Nellis and Crimson Caravan, are filled with trash. Even Vegas, which is supposed to be some sort of jewel in the oasis, looks very run down and has a barrier surrounding it that looks like it was made by an army of hobos, not killbots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Fallout makes my brain all gooey and is one of those games my fiance will also play with a stranger fiery conviction.
I want to believe this will be a good game.
The trailer did look a bit janky though.

I think the only stuff that looked off was the prewar stuff, compared to the rest of the trailer, the level of detail and textures is way lower than the game in the wasteland proper.

If you wanted to be optimistic maybe it's just a first pass permutation of the starting area of the game, and they didn't bother with it much because its an area only used for the intro, but still wanted it in the trailer because of the visual contrast of the two times.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 7, 2015

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So with the conflict between the Brotherhood and the Institute probably forming the central civil war quest of the game, which side is going to take which nazi traits? The Stormcloaks were all Aryan superiority Kristallnacht against the elves while the Empire had the Altmer SS officers committing Nord holocaust.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

What if theres.... three factions..... even four............

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I hope there will be some references to Mr House, considering he was a MIT graduate.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

ShadowMar posted:

Bethesda meetings after The Witcher 3 came out are probably just Todd Howard screaming at everyone about how much better Skyrim was and how they need to attach the word radiant to more things for Fallout 4.

"Guys, after The Witcher 3 and Watch Dogs graphical downgrade debacles our best course of action is to show the worst loving visuals of 2015 right away. How's the dog going? Can you make the fur look like absolute poo poo? And stiffer animations, I want people to think maybe it's a lovely robot dog and then realize it's actually a normal dog that doesn't move fluidly at all"

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

closeted republican posted:

NV's issue is that it talks about new socieites, but everything is still run down like it was a generation after the bombs fell. Abandonded buildings are everywhere despite it being more than 200 years after the bombs fell and places where people live, like Aerotech Park and the various barracks in places like Nellis and Crimson Caravan, are filled with trash. Even Vegas, which is supposed to be some sort of jewel in the oasis, looks very run down and has a barrier surrounding it that looks like it was made by an army of hobos, not killbots.

I dunno. The trash makes some sense to me because these are mostly people who don't even have electric lighting. Same goes for the strip, which is mostly run by the families, who are tribals what've learnt to be Disney park Mafia types. I can totally buy people squatting in pre war buildings and not minding their own trash.

But I do agree that it would've been much better if we'd seen NCR architecture. I mean they do have an established style that's all round edges and clay. It's genuinely really striking in Fallout 2 when you reach the capital and it's all adobe and fresh pavement and force fields. I guess it wouldn've been a bit expensive to come up with the art assets but it would've made the NCR war more distinctive.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Republican Vampire posted:

I dunno. The trash makes some sense to me because these are mostly people who don't even have electric lighting. Same goes for the strip, which is mostly run by the families, who are tribals what've learnt to be Disney park Mafia types. I can totally buy people squatting in pre war buildings and not minding their own trash.

But I do agree that it would've been much better if we'd seen NCR architecture. I mean they do have an established style that's all round edges and clay. It's genuinely really striking in Fallout 2 when you reach the capital and it's all adobe and fresh pavement and force fields. I guess it wouldn've been a bit expensive to come up with the art assets but it would've made the NCR war more distinctive.

Actually just about everyone seems to have electric lighting thanks to fission batteries.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Personally, I hope the lack of effort spent on textures and animations means more of it is spent on resource intensive things that actually matter to gameplay. Like making sure you don't have to strip out all the Powder Gangers in Primm on the PC version because playstation ran like poo poo.

Also, I'm from Massachusetts so I don't care about how bad anything's going to be, this is super exciting.

Ever seen a third world nation? This is a rapidly developing frontier region that had been populated entirely by dirt poor people just trying to scrape by and survive until less than a generation ago.

What's more things like "fresh paint" are probably a luxury even back in the NCR, so people are entirely used to flaking crumbling facades. It's just how things are to them. People develop different standards about these things depending on what they're used to. And most people in New Vegas are used to living in squalor.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
There better be a flamethrower guitar in this game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zoe posted:

There better be a flamethrower guitar in this game.

I'm completely okay with Bethesda filling the game with Fury Road references.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Actually just about everyone seems to have electric lighting thanks to fission batteries.

Do they? I don't really see proper light in most communities up until after Helios 1. It's almost always super dim. But I play with darker nights and simple streetlights, so that probably has an effect.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

ThaumPenguin posted:

I hope there will be some references to Mr House, considering he was a MIT graduate.

After getting deep enough into the Institute's quest line, you come to a big computer monitor and DUN DUN DUN it's Mr. House, and he's been 'working' with Institution Men for years just waiting for an opportunity to seize direct control. (with your help of course) :eyepop:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

chitoryu12 posted:

I think rope kid has said before that they made sure to have a load of power sources and water sources all over the place to show the player how important those things are in NV's setting and by extension how important Hoover Dam is.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Do they? I don't really see proper light in most communities up until after Helios 1. It's almost always super dim. But I play with darker nights and simple streetlights, so that probably has an effect.

The easiest way to see it is right after you leave Doc Mitchell's house. Before you head down into Goodsprings, look on the porch and you'll see a fission battery hooked up to wires to provide lighting on his porch. All of the working streetlights in places like Freeside use them as well. There's also plenty of lights that don't have one but are usually in buildings with running generators. Fusion and fission power mean that fuel is pretty much a non-issue for anything pre-war.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

The easiest way to see it is right after you leave Doc Mitchell's house. Before you head down into Goodsprings, look on the porch and you'll see a fission battery hooked up to wires to provide lighting on his porch. All of the working streetlights in places like Freeside use them as well. There's also plenty of lights that don't have one but are usually in buildings with running generators. Fusion and fission power mean that fuel is pretty much a non-issue for anything pre-war.

I know about the hookups, but not every building has 'em. Either way, not everyone is supposed to have power, which is what The Lucky Old Sun is all about. Maybe I was just extrapolating too much from what quest NPCs said rather than paying attention to where they actually stick lights.

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????

The Vegas Strip was renovated as quickly as possible when House saw the NCR moving in. Before the NCR invasion, Nevada was still dominated by tribals. That's why the Strip is just a couple of heavily armored blocks, while most of the city is ruled over by the Kings. What we see in New Vegas is the remains of displaced locals clashing against the influx of immigrants from the NCR. It's a slum.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Kawabata posted:

"Guys, after The Witcher 3 and Watch Dogs graphical downgrade debacles our best course of action is to show the worst loving visuals of 2015 right away. How's the dog going? Can you make the fur look like absolute poo poo? And stiffer animations, I want people to think maybe it's a lovely robot dog and then realize it's actually a normal dog that doesn't move fluidly at all"

Sad thing is, they probably actually think graphics are the relevant thing....

if they have even one character interaction of the quality of geralt/ciri/triss/yenn/djikstra Bethesda could make up for 20 years (?!?!) of beautiful games with no memorable characters

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Do we think Harvard (or alternate universe Harvard. Not sure whether the franchise would be allowed to use the title "Harvard University") survived the apocalypse?

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Turds in magma posted:

Sad thing is, they probably actually think graphics are the relevant thing....

if they have even one character interaction of the quality of geralt/ciri/triss/yenn/djikstra Bethesda could make up for 20 years (?!?!) of beautiful games with no memorable characters

wait that's not true

I remember this guy in morrowind who was supposed to be a friend/relative that lived in the first town and either didn't have a shirt or didn't have pants on him

he was a half naked middle aged dude with plenty of character

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
re: talking about how everything still looks ruined a few centuries after humans reemerged

Rome went from a metropolis of millions to a medieval city of something like 50k. People lived in and next to the ruins of vast portions of it and they mostly let it be unless they were looting it and recycling it. its not going to get magically cleaned up and much of it is going to be, yes, abandoned. People kinda had more important things to be doing.

Also, the population isn't going to magically skyrocket exponentially from when human beings leave the vaults. Its going to be handfuls of tribes and out post settlements that gradually build back into larger towns and cities, but the population is not going to reach prewar levels even within a few centuries. the environment is harsher than before, teaming with radiation and monsters, and lacking many of the things that enable our present teaming billions; like infrastructure, hospitals and industrially supported agriculture.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 7, 2015

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

QuoProQuid posted:

Do we think Harvard (or alternate universe Harvard. Not sure whether the franchise would be allowed to use the title "Harvard University") survived the apocalypse?

In my mind a lot of universities survived and started forming frat-based raiding tribes, all of which died from either alcohol poisoning or alcohol withdrawal a few weeks later.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

MIT did, and they're like under a mile from each other. Wouldn't be surprised if they'd been taken over/obliterated by The Institute though.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

The thing for me is that I always felt like the Capital Wasteland was the superior ENVIRONMENT. The world, the wasteland, the towns, the capital mall, everything in CW felt better than in NV to me.

Of course, NV balances it out (And moreso) by having better NPCs, more quests, and better gameplay mechanics.

I guess I ought to look into TTW one of these days...

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

MIT did, and they're like under a mile from each other. Wouldn't be surprised if they'd been taken over/obliterated by The Institute though.

I imagine "The Institute" is MIT though, its name just changed because people are lazy or some paint on a sign went missing and everyone just rolled with it.

I imagine Harvard will also fit the same stereotype of any higher place of learning in sci-fi and look innocuous but actually be 100% evil when you get to know the mad scientists who run the place and presue their own experiments with reckless abandon. Or be an entire faction of nothing but lawyers. Which ever is worse.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

khy posted:

The thing for me is that I always felt like the Capital Wasteland was the superior ENVIRONMENT. The world, the wasteland, the towns, the capital mall, everything in CW felt better than in NV to me.

Of course, NV balances it out (And moreso) by having better NPCs, more quests, and better gameplay mechanics.

I guess I ought to look into TTW one of these days...

I think the relevant concept is stage design. The Capital Wasteland is better staged, complete with very super-scripted, super-linear moments (like how your first proper encounter with a mutant is supposed to be in the metro after dodging the raider/mutant cross-river fight by the entrance). New Vegas conspicuously doesn't do that. Hence the very abbreviated tutorial.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I imagine "The Institute" is MIT though, its name just changed because people are lazy or some paint on a sign went missing and people just rolled with it.

I imagine they'll also fit the same stereotype of any higher place of learning in sci-fi and look innocuous but actually be 100% evil when you get to know the mad scientists who run the place and presue their own experiments with reckless abandon. Or be an entire faction of nothing but lawyers. Which ever is worse.

Yeah, I mean I wouldn't be surprised if MIT had taken over all of Cambridge or put Harvard to the sword.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Harvard will be the Ayleid Ruins of Fallout 4 which, by the point the game takes place, will be inhabited by racist old intellectuals who can be identified by their mortarboards made of pages torn from encyclopedias (which give them their +2 boost to Intelligence). You will delve into its ancient underbelly, sorting through dusty wizards cloaks and Bigfoot skulls in a quest to retrieve an eternally-luminescent crystal ball from the lightless archives built by pre-man. "Cantabs"--blind, frail, hydrocephalic creatures with translucent skin stretched over alien frames--will inhabit the ruins, serving to impede your progress.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Harvard will be the Ayleid Ruins of Fallout 4 which, by the point the game takes place, will be inhabited by racist old intellectuals who can be identified by their mortarboards made of pages torn from encyclopedias (which give them their +2 boost to Intelligence). You will delve into its ancient underbelly, sorting through dusty wizards cloaks and Bigfoot skulls in a quest to retrieve an eternally-luminescent crystal ball from the lightless archives built by pre-man. "Cantabs"--blind, frail, hydrocephalic creatures with translucent skin stretched over alien frames--will inhabit the ruins, serving to impede your progress.

:eyepop:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Yeah, I mean I wouldn't be surprised if MIT had taken over all of Cambridge or put Harvard to the sword.

Harvard and MIT will be the two factions you have to choose between. The Crimson Legion vs The Institute

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
NV wants you so desperately to care about the stupid story. Just gently caress off with that and let me snipe raiders and wear their bondage gear jfc.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
On an unrelated note, seeing some of the things in the trailer such as the house with the door missing as well as windows you can clearerly see though and the garage with the bay door wide open, it makes me wonder if Bethesda has somehow managed to figure out how to make seamless transitions or load more at once to create more of an open world.

There was one house in NV that existed like that, somewhere unmarked somewhere to the north-west of the city IIRC. It was the only house like it and it almost seemed like an experiment, to see if it could be done.

Of course the trailer is likely to have little relation to what the final game is like and the sequence with the dog probably isn't even done in the game itself. Would be nice though as that house looks pretty rad.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Flaky posted:

NV wants you so desperately to care about the stupid story. Just gently caress off with that and let me snipe raiders and wear their bondage gear jfc.

Well, the gameplay in New Vegas is better than 3 (marginally), so go ahead.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Delsaber posted:

In my mind a lot of universities survived and started forming frat-based raiding tribes, all of which died from either alcohol poisoning or alcohol withdrawal a few weeks later.
I hope the people of Diamond City look like the baseball gang from The Warriors, in fact I wish all the gangs in the Fallout 4 take a cue from The Warriors and have a ton of unique raiders tribes/groups/cliques

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I guess I'm late to the party but didn't the Gambryo company go under a while back so it's no longer supported and everybody was sure that Bethesda was going to use iD engines for future games featuring dragons and wizard staffs?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

RVWinkle posted:

I guess I'm late to the party but didn't the Gambryo company go under a while back so it's no longer supported and everybody was sure that Bethesda was going to use iD engines for future games featuring dragons and wizard staffs?
Yeah that was a pretty hilarious time and soon after that everyone realized that Gamebryo is simply a renderer and they were actually using the same logic and animation engines as far back as Morrowind :allears:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

On an unrelated note, seeing some of the things in the trailer such as the house with the door missing as well as windows you can clearerly see though and the garage with the bay door wide open, it makes me wonder if Bethesda has somehow managed to figure out how to make seamless transitions or load more at once to create more of an open world.

Since they aren't restrict to less then a 1GB of memory since they're not doing this on the Xbox 360 or PS3 anymore, it should be more then possible.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
During a flashback, you will take control of a civilian in the moments leading up to nuclear annihilation. In order to progress, you must make your way to the fallout shelter at the center of the town. However, you are scripted to stumble and fall on the way there; you are trampled and begin to black out.

An unseen blast overturns a truck full of Robco refrigerators; one snaps open and lands on you. The screen frosts over until you can see nothing but glittering white, and the sound of your shivering breath drowns out a distant, world-shaking rumble.

Title Card: Three hundred years later...

The door snaps open and a handsome (albeit filthy) man comes into view. "I'm really a robot," he says to you, studying your makeshift prison. "And from the looks of things, you've been in here for a long time." He grabs your arm and pulls you out and onto your feet. "Better bring you up to speed: The world has been ravaged by nuclear apocalypse. The water is poison--don't drink it. The world is filled with monstrous mutated beasts. The government--our former government--prowls the sky in techno-Zeppelins and terrorizes survivors with complex schemes to destroy the planet."

The man seems to perceive that the player isn't understanding his new, frightening environment. "Come on, I better take you to see the others. We've got to come up with a good cover identity for you, though, or there'll be too many questions. We'll call you...Fraser" (but he pronounces it "Fray-zee-er").

From that point on, the first half of the game is mostly a play-for-play retelling of Encino Man.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Delsaber posted:

"break out the random pile of grenades and dynamite in my inventory despite my lovely explosives skill" and then just lob that stuff everywhere and hope it all hits. Lucky thing those squads only spawn outdoors.

This has been the default tactic to many hard battle in Bethesda, second only to running away backwards or using world or item geometry to stay out of melee-attack range (another reason linear tunnels with few obstructions are good) and why it's odd to me that people focus on the RPG elements held-over from the isometric games as importabt to the combat - the 3D open-world makes it trivial to outsmart the AI through geometry abuse or other unintentional cheats like dropping agro through exiting the world space. The proof of this is the popularity of sniper-style characters, precisely because they tend to suffer from this the least and hence break gameplay immersion the least.

I would like to see some thought spent on trying to address these problems through creative design rather than upping HP or level scaling which also breaks immersion. Things like traps are a great design choice because they use geometry against the player and basically the only way to avoid them is save-scumming. Which is ultimately the thing that ruins most games (although there are recent exceptions like Day Z)

I think the reason there is a bipolar response to tunnels is because they at once confine players who are normally used to ambushing, and also tend to re-use a quite limited set of assets which can make them samey. I feel this worked well in F3, because at least most of the tunnels interlinked with each other, but it really didn't in Skyrim because they still ended up looking almost identical and tended not to lead anywhere, even if you exited them somewhere different to where you entered them.

From the looks of it, the world-spaces featured in the trailer look just as small and sparsely populated/separated by invisible walls or instanced in F4, so I don't think any of these issues are really going to be absent, regardless how big the overworld is.

The Gamebryo/Creation whatever engine is clearly capable of using physics to enhance gameplay - just look at the craze for home-decoration in all these games.

ED. clarity. VVVVV noted, thanks.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 7, 2015

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

achillesforever6 posted:

I hope the people of Diamond City look like the baseball gang from The Warriors, in fact I wish all the gangs in the Fallout 4 take a cue from The Warriors and have a ton of unique raiders tribes/groups/cliques

I hope the citizens of ruined boston will randomly shout out "GO SAWKS" in boston accents and that they still hate yankees fans

Flaky posted:

This was and has been the default tactic to any hard battle in Gamebryo, second only to running away backwards or using world or item geometry to stay out of melee-attack range (another reason linear tunnels with few obstructions are good). These are by far the most characteristic elements of combat in Gamebryo games, and why it's so silly to pretend that the RPG elements held-over from the isometric games are really all that important to combat in Oblivion/F3/NV/Skyrim - the 3D open-world makes it trivial to outsmart the AI through geometry abuse or other unintentional cheats like dropping agro through exiting the world space. The proof of this is the popularity of sniper-style characters, precisely because they tend to suffer from this the least and hence break gameplay immersion the least.

This is just inherent to how the engine works, so I would like to see some thought spent on trying to address these problems through creative design rather than upping HP or level scaling which also breaks immersion. Things like traps are a great design choice for precisely this reason - they use geometry against the player and basically the only way to avoid them is save-scumming. Which is ultimately the thing that ruins most games (although there are recent exceptions like Day Z)

I think the reason there is a bipolar response to tunnels is because they at once confine players who are normally used to ambushing, and also tend to re-use a quite limited set of assets which can make them samey. I feel this worked well in F3, because at least most of the tunnels interlinked with each other, but it really didn't in Skyrim because they still ended up looking almost identical and tended not to lead anywhere, even if you exited them somewhere different to where you entered them.

From the looks of it, the world-spaces featured in the trailer look just as small and sparsely populated/separated by invisible worlds or instanced in F4, so I don't think any of these issues are really going to be absent, regardless how big the overworld is.

The Gamebryo engine is clearly capable of using physics to enhance gameplay - just look at the craze for home-decoration in all these games.

gamebryo is the name of a middleware they used from Morrowind to Fallout 3new vegas. it's not the name of the bethesda engine. Games like RIFT, Bully, Civilization 4, and defense grid also used it.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If there aren't a bunch of obnoxious ghoulified Red Sox fans that you can shoot in the game, well that's definitely a mod I would pay for.

• Locked thread