Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Got to love metal pikes. So much more fun than the bow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Reason posted:

I am really, really impressed by how often they are making GBS threads out updates at least. Thats how EA stuff should be.

As am I. It's apparently due to the fact that this game actually has a "real" development team behind it that is apparently somewhere between 40-50 people. It was mentioned earlier in the thread. That being said I got curious and my Google-Fu isn't strong enough to confirm this. Can't find any listing of Studio Wildcard's size. Maybe it's listed in a credits section of the game I missed? Anyone got any more info on this?

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!
just picked this game up. Will be joining you guys shortly.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

This rubberbanding is awful, apparently it's due to underspecced servers.

Should we try to find a better server?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Gamesguy posted:

Yes. Or I'd donate $5 towards a private server, I think they're $1/slot.. If those are even specced properly.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Well it's about time for me to upgrade my graphics card anyhow. What are people generally using for this and Witcher 3? I'm not looking for anything top of the line

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

here's and irc chan for nobody to join

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Maybe there should be a second goon server. something for goons if 40 is full. Any suggestions?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I mean some of the guys on 40 have been playing for 9 hours! god drat.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

In game as Tenchrono if I could get an invite, in mumble also.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I keep logging in and trying to play whenever it updates, hoping I can play at a decent fps.

Alas

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Jackard posted:

Well it's about time for me to upgrade my graphics card anyhow. What are people generally using for this and Witcher 3? I'm not looking for anything top of the line

Get a GTX 970.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

lilspooky posted:

Get a GTX 970.
How well does a 960 work? Was eyeing one earlier today.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

lilspooky posted:

Get a GTX 970.
I know this is one of those perpetual revolving door things, but know that a new generation of nvidias come out in 2016 and is "10 times more powerful" or whatever marketing buzz nvidia is throwing on it. So keep that in mind before you dole out big money for a card.

That said def get a 970, the 980s arent worth an extra 150$$ and they are better than 960 for the price difference.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Couldn't tell you for sure. I jumped from a 660ti to a 970 about 2 weeks ago and I'm quite happy with it. Just in time for Witcher 3. I'm sure the 960 will still be fine.

Edit: As Rexicon says you might wait too. Of course it's always the usual "wait for better or buy now" game like he mentions.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Rexicon1 posted:

That said def get a 970, the 980s arent worth an extra 150$$ and they are better than 960 for the price difference.
The 980 was a ridiculous $600,

:yikes:

the 970 was $350 and the 960 was only $200

LoopyJuice
Jul 5, 2007
Definitely get a 970, I just loaded up for the first time at 2560x1600 and with ultra/high in most things except AA, shadows and post processing i'm getting 25 FPS which I was shocked at after reading all the bad press, I'm sure the performance will get better in time.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Jackard posted:

The 980 was a ridiculous $600,

:yikes:

the 970 was $350 and the 960 was only $200

The 960 is a perfectly great card if you're on a budget. Don't even blink an eye at it if you don't want to spend the extra on a 970. And 980, lol

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

So whats in the new patch? There's like no information on Steam.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/615086038673012583/

They post all patch notes in this thread whenever they release a new one. So far it's updated right before it drops so it's actually quite helpful.

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

Jackard posted:

So whats in the new patch? There's like no information on Steam.

Upcoming Version:
* No longer lose performance after singleplayer savegame loads!

Current Version:
* Fixed some remaining blackscreen/connection cases! (hopefully all of them)

Also, if we get user names we can check to see when those pubbies are online using the steam server list.

You can do this by going to the server list and choosing "view server info"

And you can scroll the player list from there

The only user name I have confirmed is Maj of the pubbies that raided us last night.

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

Got a small group of Aus goons playing on OC Official 148, hit us up on mumble:
108.61.213.25:4881

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

LoopyJuice posted:

Definitely get a 970, I just loaded up for the first time at 2560x1600 and with ultra/high in most things except AA, shadows and post processing i'm getting 25 FPS which I was shocked at after reading all the bad press, I'm sure the performance will get better in time.

Fair warning, the 970 has that hosed up split VRAM debacle. It may not be enough to turn you off from it but you should definitely look that poo poo up before buying.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
What level do you need to get the triceretops saddle recipe?

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

All cave locations marked: http://i.imgur.com/qFHvHK7.jpg

ist
Mar 9, 2007
lurkin since '01
Goon Cave tower status: ladder is up and running from the top of the cavern to the middle ledge.

I will build the tower from the middle ledge to the bottom of the cavern tomorrow and wall it up for safety from bats.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

A word of warning for the cave in the northwest: it hangs over the ocean, to get down to it you have to do down a slope with three jumps the way down it's nothing the way back up you can barely make it. so we'll need a ladder set up if we ever want to do that one safely. also most of the cave seems to be crouching room only.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Gamesguy posted:

quote:

I've found that on 100% of servers with >15 people, there is a server side performance problem that causes the rubber banding. You can easily check this by seeing if you can punch a turtle to death as a fresh spawn by merely circle strafing. On a 0-person server, the turtle fucks you up instantly. On a every >15 person server I've tried, I can circle strafe the turtle and we both warp around a lot rubber banding and I can punch it to death being hit maybe once.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Hihohe posted:

I mean some of the guys on 40 have been playing for 9 hours! god drat.

I think I logged in around 1030AM. It's now 1130PM. On the plus side, I went from level 26 to level ~38. Caves are cool.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Dropped my resolution to 1280x720 and I was getting 50FPS on Low Settings so I bumped it up to medium and I can actually play on Medium with 30fps now.

Jimb posted:

Fair warning, the 970 has that hosed up split VRAM debacle. It may not be enough to turn you off from it but you should definitely look that poo poo up before buying.

970 also has a gimped L2 Cache that Nvidia hides from GPUz and Bios and doesn't like to talk about.

VarXX fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 7, 2015

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

VarXX posted:

Dropped my resolution to 1280x720 and I was getting 50FPS on Low Settings so I bumped it up to medium and I can actually play on Medium with 30fps now.

970 also has a gimped L2 Cache that Nvidia hides from GPUz and Bios and doesn't like to talk about.

Is that an issue with the 960 as well? Or a feature unique to the 970?

Also, here is your steam dev tracker concerning ARK:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/wildcarddrake/posthistory/

Edit: One of the key things noticed is that they plan/hope to raise the server cap to 100 from the current 70 in a few weeks. http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/615086038676466096/#c615086038676467347
That will be interesting. Just 30 more people is going to cause more people bumping than there is now. And our base will probably look more like an ant hill in activity.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 7, 2015

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^

Jackard posted:

Players can steal from everything else, I would expect so. I've seeded, watered, and poo poo in my own plot. With these haNDS!!

But never seen any results. Dunno whether the plants die out, if people are taking them, or if it's just bugged.

i think its something like 1 in game week for each stage of growth. my sapling took 2? actual days to grow after i irrigated and fertilized

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Last-gen fertilizing systems have nothing on the Ark's newest member!

A multi-hour decision was made on the spur of the moment when a level 1 bronto appeared near an intense group raptor taming session and someone decided to start punching it.

Almost...there. (I just showed up toward the end when some pubbies poked their noses into our business)

Success!

And after a successful swan dive of glory:

The highest grade poo poo, on demand. Now to fill the valley with these fucks.

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/615086038675762491/#c615086038677652805

quote:

We're gonna deal with this in an updated, probably Monday. Specifically it'll make Caves unbuildable areas in PvP. And the fix will also automatically clear out any player structures within those zones, and by clear I mean destroy ;)

Cheers,
Drake

To the goons building in the caves, don't store anything super rare. The post was about PVE servers, so I'm guessing he meant PvE rather than PVP, but I can't be sure.

EDIT: Ignore this, its only on pve servers: http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/615086038677596911/

minchar fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 7, 2015

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!
GOONTANA 3.0 has started construction. Come assist in the center of the lake and build the thing as high as you can!

ROFLSAWS
Mar 28, 2005

You can't hide forever, Methuselah
College Slice
General chat in this game never gets old

ROFLSAWS
Mar 28, 2005

You can't hide forever, Methuselah
College Slice

shankerz posted:

GOONTANA 3.0 has started construction. Come assist in the center of the lake and build the thing as high as you can!

Gilligoon's Island?

Lord Booga
Sep 23, 2007
Huh?
Grimey Drawer
Didn't realise the 1000 weight in singleplayer was a bug. I figured it was just making up for the lack of other people. Makes single player painful.

As much as this is supposed to be multiplayer, some SP features would be nice. NPCs maybe. Something to address the fact that you are screwed without other people.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Lord Booga posted:

Didn't realise the 1000 weight in singleplayer was a bug. I figured it was just making up for the lack of other people. Makes single player painful.

As much as this is supposed to be multiplayer, some SP features would be nice. NPCs maybe. Something to address the fact that you are screwed without other people.

Even though the performance in SP is horrible, I'm still playing and enjoying this game.

The thing is though, it definitely is not a SP game. It's a MP game that can be hosted in a local server, which truthfully is not what was advertised on the steam page, and it very much feels like it'll get old fast. Of course it's EA, so later on they may add a true SP mode, and change it around a bit to make it a bit more forgiving.

I had a seed on a small crop farm go from seedling to midling today, after about 5 hours of straight gameplay in SP, that is just insane. If I get one berry out of this crop, it'll be totally not worthwhile farming in SP. On the other hand, I now have a little Dilo buddy, and a Parasaur to do some long haul running to supply drops, and that is making the game a heck of a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Wait how does one get into a cave?