Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

30.5 Days posted:

It's hazy, because it's going to be accompanied with hype, have a ton of new features, etc. I'm really serious about getting it out by the end of June. Talonos is killing himself clearing out a ton of bugs and I've got a couple tasks left for it but new stuff pops up every day as he realizes one of his bugs isn't really HIS bugs, so I step in to ASM something. The new version is going to have a lot of cool stuff, like an end-game taint-cleansing machine, a real end to the game that feels awfully satisfying and is probably the most satisfying ending of any "story" minecraft ANYTHING I've seen, a brand new botania questline with some custom junk I contributed, a WAY better food integration with a new hunger overhaul falloff curve, new foods, and golem compatibility for HO wheat/barley, some map improvements like making taint not ruin deserts, better ITT compatibility, fixed extraTiC bow stats, totems of dawn catch up to where they should be when they reload after being unloaded for awhile, a brand new death punishment system that drops your mission outlook rep instead of using HQM's life system, and on and on and on.

The game is definitely in a really good spot to play right now, as long as you're cool with JUST having a great thaumcraft & blood magic quest lines. If you don't want to wait, you shouldn't. But if you're interested in playing it through all the way to the end, and ESPECIALLY if you want to play with friends, I'd consider waiting until the official release, it's just too good. On the other hand, if you're the kind of person who played ag skies a couple times or whatever, the different starting locations adds some replayability to the pack, so that + the new stuff might make you want to play it twice. I'm not real big on replaying packs myself, though, so I wouldn't.

I hope this end-game taint-cleansing machine is called 'The Taint Stomper' and that it does indeed stomp taint, I guess we'll find out once the update comes around and hopefully this time I won't get so bloody lucky and get fusewood on my first sapling pack followed by bloodwood on my second sapling pack!

Also Botania along with Forbidden Magic....TAINTHISTLES ARE GO!

I'm guessing the blood magic questline doesn't kick in until you reach the eerie island's scouting location? It looks like the intended way in would either be through some thaumcraft stuff I do not know about or the time-old tradition of nerdpoling up.

Krakatoah fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Krakatoah posted:

I hope this end-game taint-cleansing machine is called 'The Taint Stomper' and that it does indeed stomp taint, I guess we'll find out once the update comes around and hopefully this time I won't get so bloody lucky and get fusewood on my first sapling pack followed by bloodwood on my second sapling pack!

I'm guessing the blood magic questline doesn't kick in until you reach the eerie island's scouting location? It looks like the intended way in would either be through some thaumcraft stuff I do not know about or the time-old tradition of nerdpoling up.

Well you can just dig in through the wall once you have a good enough pick.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

You can also make a thaumic harness or something and fly around. Enchant it somehow to improve the speed on it, it's very slow to begin with.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
So, due to more pointless loving changes in mods, I'm once again completely stumped as to how to perform what used to be a basic task.

The offending mod is Thermal expansion/Thermal Dynamics and itemducts.

Where you used to be able to just set a pipe junction to either input ot output (blue or red arrow) and install a pneumatic servo for sorting, now you can't change a junction at all, and have to build a "servo" and install it to pull items out of a source. That's all good and fun, I made one and have it on my quarry tesseract so the items will flow out of it. The problem is that need to set itemduct junctions to output with a blacklist/whitelist so it will keep the ore and junk everything else. I have no loving clue how to do this. There are no blue arrow servos that are craftable, and there's nothing I can do with junctions in the itemducts so I have no idea how to set up a filter.

I've said it before, but I'm continually amazed by the number of completely unnecessary changes to mods. It's like modders have some aversion to people becoming too proficient with their mods. Everytime I learn things well enough to get by without Youtube or a Wiki they change poo poo up for no reason.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mr Scumbag posted:

So, due to more pointless loving changes in mods, I'm once again completely stumped as to how to perform what used to be a basic task.

The offending mod is Thermal expansion/Thermal Dynamics and itemducts.

Where you used to be able to just set a pipe junction to either input ot output (blue or red arrow) and install a pneumatic servo for sorting, now you can't change a junction at all, and have to build a "servo" and install it to pull items out of a source. That's all good and fun, I made one and have it on my quarry tesseract so the items will flow out of it. The problem is that need to set itemduct junctions to output with a blacklist/whitelist so it will keep the ore and junk everything else. I have no loving clue how to do this. There are no blue arrow servos that are craftable, and there's nothing I can do with junctions in the itemducts so I have no idea how to set up a filter.

I've said it before, but I'm continually amazed by the number of completely unnecessary changes to mods. It's like modders have some aversion to people becoming too proficient with their mods. Everytime I learn things well enough to get by without Youtube or a Wiki they change poo poo up for no reason.

The item you want to craft is called a "filter". There are also Retrievers that will pull items to them, like the opposite of Servos.

I don't really get why ducts lack auto-output functionality, myself, even with a redstone signal. It might have something to do with further streamlining the block, so that computation is easier?

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 7, 2015

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Thermal Dynamics Servos have the blacklist/whitelist feature built into them, with varying slots depending on what tier they are. To access it you right-click on the servo with an empty hand.

The pipes should output or input automatically based on what the block setting for that face is. If it's a block that doesn't have face-settings then it will only input unless you put a servo to pull from it.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Thanks guys, I figured it out eventually, but I still don't understand why they felt they needed to change things around.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Theres also the amazing Thaumic Horizons, which lets you thaumically engineer a pig into a blight feeding machine. :getin:

I really hope that ends up added as a way to beat back the blight. That, and a option to set fire to the world. :flame:

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Dunno-Lars posted:

You can also make a thaumic harness or something and fly around. Enchant it somehow to improve the speed on it, it's very slow to begin with.

Speaking of thaumcraft I haven't gotten used to it's warp mechanic yet and it makes me nervous because I can't expect when it's going to bugger me sideways with an eldritch guardian out of nowhere, should I even be worried about it in the long term?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Here's another question:

I've always avoided Thaumcraft because I've been more interested in industrial kinds of things in Minecraft. I'm now thinking about getting into it cause it looks interesting.

My only question is what exactly does it offer? I know it's a magic mod, but if you were to try to sell me on it, what are the selling points?

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 7, 2015

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

StealthArcher posted:

So Mine/ModTweaker doesn't seem able to modify Thermex recipes for the machines anymore. Anybody ever worked with adding them another way? *Is* there another way?

E: Yes, this was tried with most recent updates with both, B:AllowRecipeOverwrite=true is set for all the relevant machines.

I've tried messing more with this, but I've still got nothing to show for it. Would really like my MTweak stuff for the new OMPi version to work. Nobody knows anything about this?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Krakatoah posted:

Speaking of thaumcraft I haven't gotten used to it's warp mechanic yet and it makes me nervous because I can't expect when it's going to bugger me sideways with an eldritch guardian out of nowhere, should I even be worried about it in the long term?

No. Because if you stay away from maddening effects for long enough, you'll be fine. The severity and frequency fades away until it never happens again. If you get any source of madness after that however, you go right back to fully snapped.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Here's another question:

I've always avoided Thaumcraft because I've been more interested in industrial kinds of things in Minecraft. I'm now thinking about getting into it cause it looks interesting.

My only question is what exactly does it offer? I know it's a magic mod, but if you were to try to sell me on it, what are the selling points?

GO UTTERLY MAD. Use a wand to electrocute a creeper! Build a magical mining Laser thats powered by holes in reality that slowly seep magic into the world. Discover a creeping fungoid death, writhing and wiggling and spreading. BECOME COMPLETELY INSANE. Build a multiblock smelter that is Free to use!* Craft magical samurai armour and look like a loving badass! LOSE YOUR MIND. Travel to a faraway magical place of corridors, headcrabs and monstrous creatures created by the diseased mind of a faraway god!

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 7, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Krakatoah posted:

Get a ring of runic shielding or two and some half-decent armor (even iron would work with runic shielding). The shielding rings give you 5 hits where you literally take no damage and recharges from your wand, this activates on anything: poison, lava, etc. the shielding will take the damage first (and on poison/wither it regenerates fast enough that it will eat about half of the poison ticks anyways).

Next get a lightning focus for your want and upgrade it. Congratulations, you have won Minecraft combat, even eldritch guardians have been reduced to annoying squatters and non-threats who appear in your house, create "spooky" mist and go "OOoooOOOooo" until you find and zap them.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
in agrarian skies 2 what is the earliest item i can get that acts like the vacuum hopper from the first one? Is there an easier item to build then having to wait until I can create a hungry chest from Thaumcraft?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Mr Scumbag posted:

Building a circular room of little tanks and having tiny straw men pull jars of essence out and fill them up underneath a giant altar with a spinning stone cube that has the potential to ruin your whole base if you don't build symmetrical fun is so much more satisfying than "okay so now I build a big reactor again and have a terminal that stores all my items."

Scanning and researching and slapping together aspects of the world in order to be able to build more stuff is surprisingly fun (for a while) and will take up a lot of your time.

Wand of Equal Trade will mean you can pick up anything (other than bedrock) that you want by replacing it with trash from your inventory; pour water over a lava lake and turn it into obsidian, then convert all that obsidian into oak saplings, watch them fall into lava, then convert the next layer of lava again and again.

Putting a barrier around a rare Hungry Node and launching a bunch of crafting benches into it from a magical mirror to turn it into a monstrous source of power is fun; using that source of power through your base turns "boring pipes and conduits again" into "I have literal laser beams everywhere focused through dope-rear end crystals."

And golems golems golems jesus christ, throw down a harvest and a gather golem near a small field of wheat and some reeds, never worry about paper or food again.

(Also, make and eat Triple Meat Treats. They're gross and cheap!)

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Whalley posted:

Wand of Equal Trade will mean you can pick up anything (other than bedrock) that you want by replacing it with trash from your inventory; pour water over a lava lake and turn it into obsidian, then convert all that obsidian into oak saplings, watch them fall into lava, then convert the next layer of lava again and again.

I especially recommend using the Wand of Equal Trade with fences and/or railroad tracks. Looks horrible, but it's oh so fun.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mr Scumbag posted:

Here's another question:

thaumcraft is probably the most industrial of magic mods, for what that's worth

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

30.5 Days posted:

It's hazy, because it's going to be accompanied with hype, have a ton of new features, etc. I'm really serious about getting it out by the end of June. Talonos is killing himself clearing out a ton of bugs and I've got a couple tasks left for it but new stuff pops up every day as he realizes one of his bugs isn't really HIS bugs, so I step in to ASM something. The new version is going to have a lot of cool stuff, like an end-game taint-cleansing machine, a real end to the game that feels awfully satisfying and is probably the most satisfying ending of any "story" minecraft ANYTHING I've seen, a brand new botania questline with some custom junk I contributed, a WAY better food integration with a new hunger overhaul falloff curve, new foods, and golem compatibility for HO wheat/barley, some map improvements like making taint not ruin deserts, better ITT compatibility, fixed extraTiC bow stats, totems of dawn catch up to where they should be when they reload after being unloaded for awhile, a brand new death punishment system that drops your mission outlook rep instead of using HQM's life system, and on and on and on.

The game is definitely in a really good spot to play right now, as long as you're cool with JUST having a great thaumcraft & blood magic quest lines. If you don't want to wait, you shouldn't. But if you're interested in playing it through all the way to the end, and ESPECIALLY if you want to play with friends, I'd consider waiting until the official release, it's just too good. On the other hand, if you're the kind of person who played ag skies a couple times or whatever, the different starting locations adds some replayability to the pack, so that + the new stuff might make you want to play it twice. I'm not real big on replaying packs myself, though, so I wouldn't.

Awesome to hear. I've already played it a bit so I'll just wait for that big deal release. :)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

StealthArcher posted:

I've tried messing more with this, but I've still got nothing to show for it. Would really like my MTweak stuff for the new OMPi version to work. Nobody knows anything about this?

It doesn't work in 1.7, fullstop. The recipe modifier in MT for TE was a port of the one in 1.6, but TE was heavily refactored in 1.7 so it just doesn't work anymore. It would require modifications by MT people or TE people (or both) to be fixed.

My "workaround" in Progress was just making the recipes for machines in other mods (usually EIO) to fill the gap.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Darn, now I want to play Blightfall having never tried it before, but I want to wait for the big release since it'd probably require (or "require") restarting. Bluuuh.

(Thaumcraft in Blightfall requires the stupid research game, right? I'd frankly rather use the Stealth Archer idea and give myself hundreds of every aspect in research and go at my own pace.)

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Mr Scumbag posted:

Basically, in the old version you had routing logic and all that poo poo in the pipes themselves, which was awful. Now all of the sorting and routing logic lies in the items so you don't have to worry about your round-robin sorting getting hosed up because you want two inputs into the same system with different sorting logic. It makes so much more sense to keep all of that isolated to just the input/output points, and having different items keeps the servo interface from being a massive clusterfuck.

It's a really minor tweak when you think about it, and the learning curve for the new version isn't trawling wikis and youtube videos, all you have to do is type "Thermal" into NEI and read the tooltip for the new items. These items even look like the old red/blue arrows, so it's even easier to spot.

Sumac fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 7, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://github.com/Azanor/thaumcraft/issues/1778

Welp. Can I turn off cofhtweaks on the server or will poo poo run real slow?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
So hoppers are terrible, but is there a replacement that only takes up one block and can hold more? I keep using them because I can't figure out another way to just simply 'hold inventory, output in direction'.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
When I played Blightfall the concept of the world being hostile was neat, but digging for ores in caves was a pain because the taint covered the ores. Something like a throw able potion that clears crusted taint in an area temporarily would be handy

just anything in the somewhat early game allowing me to climb up a little easier

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Blind Duke posted:

When I played Blightfall the concept of the world being hostile was neat, but digging for ores in caves was a pain because the taint covered the ores. Something like a throw able potion that clears crusted taint in an area temporarily would be handy

just anything in the somewhat early game allowing me to climb up a little easier

The little silver flowers worked well enough for that once you go exploring a bit, unless they changed that. Just drop a few down and come back in a bit.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
The only thing I don't like in blightfall is the swarms. They're a stupid mob, hard to kill because of their hit box, uninteresting, and gah, I just hate them. They make things challenging, but in a very annoying manner. There are other mod packs with blighted ground and swarms disabled. Those worlds are still hostile, but not in a cheesy way.

I guess I also don't like the spice of life without pam's harvestcraft, but I guess the major update planned is taking care of that.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Falcon2001 posted:

So hoppers are terrible, but is there a replacement that only takes up one block and can hold more? I keep using them because I can't figure out another way to just simply 'hold inventory, output in direction'.

EnderIO item buffers. 9 slots can push or pull to/from any side.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Falcon2001 posted:

The little silver flowers worked well enough for that once you go exploring a bit, unless they changed that. Just drop a few down and come back in a bit.

It's hard to judge where the caves are underground when I place the flowers

they also take a while and are a somewhat permanent solution. I just want to clear some crust away for a little bit to see if that's an ore I want or not

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

bigperm posted:

EnderIO item buffers. 9 slots can push or pull to/from any side.

Yesssss EnderIO wins again!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Blind Duke posted:

There is exactly that. Silverleaf potions or whatever. You have to advance in thaumcraft a bit to unlock them.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Falcon2001 posted:

Yesssss EnderIO wins again!

If the machines weren't so slow even with Octadics I'd mostly not bother with Thermal Expansion anymore, personally. Ender IOwns

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Blind Duke posted:

It's hard to judge where the caves are underground when I place the flowers

they also take a while and are a somewhat permanent solution. I just want to clear some crust away for a little bit to see if that's an ore I want or not

The Idea is to use the silverleaf flower in the cave, place it down, go back to what you were doing before for a few minutes comeback to the cave and everything is uncovered.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

reignonyourparade posted:

The Idea is to use the silverleaf flower in the cave, place it down, go back to what you were doing before for a few minutes comeback to the cave and everything is uncovered.

Honestly I just clear out huge swathes at a time and then come back. It seems to only spread along open block faces so you can be pretty confident on how it will spread back.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Falcon2001 posted:

Honestly I just clear out huge swathes at a time and then come back. It seems to only spread along open block faces so you can be pretty confident on how it will spread back.

I steal the totem at the redwood tree, then I only use flowers and the totem in loaded chunks.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Are there any mods or mod packs where you can do stuff with AI people, like recruit people to harvest things for you?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Danith posted:

Are there any mods or mod packs where you can do stuff with AI people, like recruit people to harvest things for you?
In minecraft 1.8.x this is literally a vanilla feature.

ComputerCraft can do it, thaumcraft has (had? havent' seen them in ages but I never do thaumanything) golems that do that stuff, there are various machines/blocks/tricky setups that do it. Nothing quite like what you are implying.

Oh, in Attack of the B Team there was some mod where you could necromancer up little slave dudes that mined and stuff. I didn't really mess with it because it had all kinds of bugs that could crash the server and stuff. I don't remeber what it's called.

edit: Apparently it's called Necromancy and there's no 1.7.x version in that thread. Oh, 1.7.10 version. No idea how stable it is.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 8, 2015

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Danith posted:

Helpful villagers mod. You'll never find it on a server though because it's really laggy.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Mr Scumbag posted:

So FTB Infinity doesn't seem to have modular powersuits. What's does it have that's the best equivalent?

Angel rings and Flux imbued armor with loads of enchantments :)

Or resonant armor with thaumcraft

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'd really love to play Blightfall in multiplayer, but it needs a lot of updating and stability fixes first. It's a fun mod though and I played a bunch of it in singleplayer on the first release. Thaumcraft is just such a good mod, despite all its faults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrenceJ
Jul 2, 2007
Mmmmm, Pac Dots

Danith posted:

I use a Mod called Ancient Warfare. Exactly what you describe.

You can hire people to run farms, do mining, make buildings, and even warriors to help protect your base. There are also couriers that can take/deposit items from inventories, so if you really wanted, you could create a fleet of NPC's and use them as a sorting system.

It has quite a nice progression system involving Research (that you can hire an NPC to do for you if you wish), that opens up different parts of the mods, and also includes things such as portcullises, and drawbridges.

New NPC villages are also created on worldgen, Including massive villages, that are thankfully made completely flat, and have walls around them. They also include custom buildings such as churches and 2-3 story houses. There are also windmills and water mills that generate RF (VERY SLOWLY mind)

Castles and Bandit camps also generate in the world, with hostile NPCS (and much loot) as well as trading posts with multiple tents and a Pub (with friendly trading NPCs)

All in all, its a great fun mod, and looks to be just what you are looking for.

Depending on the version you are running, means you will have different things. The 1.7.10 version includes what I described above. The 1.6.4 version dos'nt have the villages, but has war machines such as ballistas, catapults, and the like. These have not made it to 1.7 yet.

TrenceJ fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jun 8, 2015