Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
How come Robert led the rebellion against the Targs? The Baratheons were close enough to the that he had a claim to the throne via some relative, right? What made him angry enough to revolt?

Fake edit: oh right it was R+L

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Well, Robert didn't really 'lead' the rebellion at first even though he was the most prominent military leader on the rebels side, the rebellion was first called by Jon Arryn as a response to the mad king demanding the execution of Robert and Ned who were Jon Arryn's wards, this was preceded by R+L and the mad king executing the heads and heirs of many of the rebel-to-be houses who went to King's Landing to demand the return of Lyanna. Aerys brought his own downfall essentially, although there's a cause to think that Aerys' paranoia wasn't entirely unfounded and that the rebel houses were making plans to secede.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Blind Sally posted:

They're not? Bran and Meera and Jojen are hanging out with some.

Right. I forgot about that. So they built a big rear end wall so they could not use it?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

PittTheElder posted:

From the Politically Loaded Maps thread:

Hawaii: the new worst state.

Wyoming and South Carolina: very surprising.

Chako, who hosed up, posted:

Were you expecting Khaleesi (Emilia Clarke) to rule our users’ hearts? We did, too.

No, I wasn't expecting that at all, but I guess I should have :eng99:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Syncopated posted:

How come Robert led the rebellion against the Targs? The Baratheons were close enough to the that he had a claim to the throne via some relative, right? What made him angry enough to revolt?

Fake edit: oh right it was R+L

Robert was just one of the leaders of the rebellion but the only one that had anything resembling a claim on the throne. House Baratheon is practically a cadet house of the Targaryens since it's founder was the bastard brother of Aegon the conqueror. Also Roberts grandmother was Rhaelle Targaryen the daughter of Aegon the Unlikely.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yes the riverlands weren't one of the seven kingdoms during the time of Aegon's conquest, they were ruled by the iron islands via king Harren the Black whose seat was in Harrenhall.

The titular seven kingdoms were the stormlands, the reach, dorne, the north, the iron isles, the vale and the westerlands.

Nope, wrong. The Iron Isles weren't part of the Seven Kingdoms, they were their own weird Viking poo poo even during the Targaryens. The Seven are the Stormlands, Riverlands, Reach, Dorne, Vale, North, West.

The Riverlands were ruled by Harren but they were part of the Seven, which is an Andal cultural/religious thing more than anything else. The Seven Kingdoms are basically the Andal-dominated mainland Kingdoms, plus Dorne (who at least follow the Faith) and the North (which doesn't and is like half First Men) for some reason. The Iron Islands never have been largely because they're even more religiously distinct than the North, plus the whole Island thing.

HELLO LADIES fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 6, 2015

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Anyone who thought people would still be Dany fans after being subjected to almost all of her ADWD plot is a damned fool

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Anyone who thought people would still be Dany fans after being subjected to almost all of her ADWD plot is a damned fool

Like that guy who was honestly surprised that Darkstar wasn't an intriguing figure?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

syscall girl posted:

Like that guy who was honestly surprised that Darkstar wasn't an intriguing figure?

Hey let's go easy on GRRM.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
I barely remember Darkstar from tge books. can someone explain why hes so bad? he was the guy who attempted to kill myrcella?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

He is of the night.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Aatrek, Loosechanj, and A_H walk into a bar.

Granos calls the police.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Aatrek, Loosechanj, and A_H walk into a bar.

Granos calls the police.

drat that's rough

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

TommyGun85 posted:

I barely remember Darkstar from tge books. can someone explain why hes so bad? he was the guy who attempted to kill myrcella?

He's M*A*S*H's Colonel Flagg: the guy who breaks his leg making a dramatic exit out a first-floor window.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Who is this "Dany" you're talking about? The character's name is clearly stated to be Khaleesi.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TommyGun85 posted:

He is a dude that gets a lot of buildup then gets chumped by a little girl.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

TommyGun85 posted:

He's like an anime character (complete with unique weird hair and brooding mysterious personality), that is curiously dropped into your fantasy novel, and his special dormant super saiyan power is to murder 12 year old girls, and he fucks that up and just cuts half her ear off.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Is it not weird that there were like 17 years of unbroken peace in Westeros until Robert carked it? With the nonstop, churning back-stabbings and front-stabbings that followed Robert's death, isn't it a little strange that there were basically no problems for almost two decades with an incompetent drunk in the throne?

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

ozza posted:

Is it not weird that there were like 17 years of unbroken peace in Westeros until Robert carked it? With the nonstop, churning back-stabbings and front-stabbings that followed Robert's death, isn't it a little strange that there were basically no problems for almost two decades with an incompetent drunk in the throne?

I always thought of it as a little bit like the Concert of Europe - people meeting behind the scenes to keep things running smoothly slowly built up a shitload of pressure that got released all at once.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

ozza posted:

Well there was the Iron Islands rebellion.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

bartlebyshop posted:

I always thought of it as a little bit like the Concert of Europe - people meeting behind the scenes to keep things running smoothly slowly built up a shitload of pressure that got released all at once.

the aristocrats

and kelly c shits on the floor

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

syscall girl posted:

mind the walrus posted:

Hey let's go easy on GRRM.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AtAt-de-fay posted:

He's M*A*S*H's Colonel Flagg: the guy who breaks his leg making a dramatic exit out a first-floor window.

lol

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TommyGun85 posted:

it's partly how he's a stereotype of the bad boys grrm writes, partly that a little girl pwned him, and partly that he's of the night

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

HELLO LADIES posted:

Nope, wrong. The Iron Isles weren't part of the Seven Kingdoms, they were their own weird Viking poo poo even during the Targaryens. The Seven are the Stormlands, Riverlands, Reach, Dorne, Vale, North, West.

Actually you are wrong, King Harren ruled the kingdom of Isles and Rivers, which consisted of the Riverlands and the Iron Islands. Follwing the conquest, that kingdom was split into the iron islands, ruled by House Grayjoy and the riverlands ruled by house Tully.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't get what real world culture the first men are analogous to

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

The....Cappadocians?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

A Major Fucker posted:

i don't get what real world culture the first men are analogous to

Probably Germanic tribes pre-Viking age.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Krinkle posted:

The....Cappadocians?

It's the Britons. The Andals couldn't have been more Saxon if they'd tried.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I was thinking building a giant ice wall and putting aquaducts everywhere were similar but I guess they didn't do either so nevermind. I like what Knuc said.

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum
I think of the Dead whenever I hear Darkstar.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
okay first men were definitely prehistoric celts and andals were saxons, i was just confused because it said first men had bronze and runes but nobody ever used both of those at the same time

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

They're not a 1:1 representations of the Britons. There's a bit of other cultures in there as well. Just like how the Dothraki are obviously based on Mongols and other Altaic horse people but they've also got a bit of Amerindian in them. I've also heard that the Dornish are based on Moorish Spain and Wales but I'm not sure what aspects are borrowed from the Welsh.

Also the Valyrians are a bit like Rome in that they had a huge empire and the core area of that empire collapsed into a bunch of city states and they built really good roads but they seem to have been a lot less centralized than Rome was and relied on dragons and sorcery instead of legions and poo poo. The king called "The Conqueror" being Valyrians also suggests a bit of a Norman connection, albeit a very loose one.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 7, 2015

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I always thought Dorne was pretty clearly Cornwall, which remained separate when the Vikings invaded England together with Wales and Scotland.

Meaning that instead of sexy Spanish, the Dornish should have West Country English accents.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

FreudianSlippers posted:

They're note 1:1 representations of the Britons. There's a bit of other cultures in there as well. Just like how the Dothraki are obviously based on Mongols and other Altaic horse people but they've also got a bit of Amerindian in them. I've also heard that the Dornish are based on Moorish Spain and Wales but I'm not sure what aspects are borrowed from the Welsh.

-The use of the princely title. Historically, the heir to the English or British throne has been the Prince of Wales since around 1301, and Wales is a principality.
-Existing as a cultural group distinct from their ruling class
-Occasional rebellions and attempts at independence
-The Dornish Marches are analogous to the historical Welsh Marches, which were the borderlands ruled by English lords where most of the fighting happened. Lots of castles there.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Did some quick research and apparently there was a time in the middle ages when Wales was a (mostly) independent principality and there were marcher lords in the border counties whose job it was to keep the Welsh in line.

e:
Posted before I saw your post. Yours was better.

This has made me realize that I don't know nearly enough about British history. My knowledge is basically:

??? -> Britons being British -> Romans invade -> Boudica burns London -> Romans eventually leave -> Saxons, Jutes and Angles invade -> ???? -> Great Heathen Army -> Danelaw -> ???? -> William the Conqueror, the bastard, conquers -> ??? -> Magna Carta -> ??? -> 100 years war -> ??? -> ??? -> War of the Roses -> ??? -> Henry VIII starts his own church with blackjack and hookers -> ??? -> ??? -> Oliver Cromwell -> ??? -> ??? -> Glorious Revolution -> ??? -> ???? -> Victoria.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 7, 2015

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

kill you are self posted:

I think of the Dead whenever I hear Darkstar.

i think of stokely "dark star" mcnair in infinite jest

he was also of the night, but more of a junkie prostitute than an ear cutter

could grrm have used a name that was more synonymous with incest and anal? stay tuned

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

syscall girl posted:

i think of stokely "dark star" mcnair in infinite jest

he was also of the night, but more of a junkie prostitute than an ear cutter

could grrm have used a name that was more synonymous with incest and anal? stay tuned

TWOW will introduce a new POV character, Ser Caligula. His sigil is a dual goatse on a field of lavender and sky blue.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

His dark star became the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I always thought of the CSN song by the same name.