Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.

Jimb posted:

Fair warning, the 970 has that hosed up split VRAM debacle. It may not be enough to turn you off from it but you should definitely look that poo poo up before buying.

I got a 970 and play all on ultra. True its the 3.5 meme card but I can see it keeping me happy till next gen of cards. I recommend it for good value for buck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

SweetBro posted:

Wait how does one get into a cave?

First you find one, then you murder anyone dumb enough to be guarding it, then you load up with a shitload of weapons, supplies and water, then go berserk on hordes of nasties that spawn in the rooms of the cave. it's fun and the exp is great

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I have to comment and say the guys who are working in the caves are doing a really loving awesome job. Just wandered over there before logging off and you guys have that poo poo locked *down*. Totally agree we need to keep it forever, fortify it, and train a million of those bat things.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
So I just bought this and I have a nvidia 660m graphics card. Will I run into any major problems or will it just not be as pretty? Also were on server 40 right? Is there room on that server or is there another von server I will need to join?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

ScorpioMajesty posted:

So I just bought this and I have a nvidia 660m graphics card. Will I run into any major problems or will it just not be as pretty? Also were on server 40 right? Is there room on that server or is there another von server I will need to join?

Right now, with a 660m you will get 5-10 fps on the lowest setting until they optimize it. sorry

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
That's fine it won't be perfect but that's not too much of a problem for me, I'm playing on a laptop so I can't replace the graphics card but as long as optimization is on the way I'm content.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

This game is gonna be so good :allears:. Goon raid on a dudes plantation resulted in a bunch of dead dinos and a bunch of sweet loot.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

This game is gonna be so good :allears:. Goon raid on a dudes plantation resulted in a bunch of dead dinos and a bunch of sweet loot.

I haven't decided how this game will feel when the server cap is raised and the rubberbanding stops. I am unsure if it'll be awesome to fight things not bouncing around or will it be more difficult because they can hit back readily as well.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Random pubshits drew the ire of Jurassic Ark. Cue bloodthirsty destruction spree.

Target 1: pubshitter HQ

The ignorant, hopeless fools sadly managed to mount a desperate counterattack and, by unleashing 2 carnos, a half dozen raptors and a stego, struck down our valiant trike. RIP in peace. We killed every single one of their dinos and all of them however, so it was an acceptable loss.

Filled with righteous anger, we brought a second trike to salt the earth their base stood on.

Wanton destruction for the win!

Found another poor bastard's lair on the way home.

There were no survivors.

TL;DR gently caress yeah, chaotic neutral!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Exactly how playable and FUN is this game right now?
I'm fiending something fierce for a GOOD dinosaur game.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

queeb posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/arkgoons

Threw that together quickly, feel free to join. I'll pretty it up later.

Edit: apparently a performance patch just went out?

edit2: yeah, definitely seeing some performance gains, mad props to these devs.

Thanks, I'll hop in here later today

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Deakul posted:

Exactly how playable and FUN is this game right now?
I'm fiending something fierce for a GOOD dinosaur game.

You'll have to run it at a lovely resolution probably, with settings on low, but its loving amazing. Goon tribe or bust, thought.

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.
Todays raid was loving awesome. Flying mounts to scout is insanely good, and as soon as another good on a scorpion joined me we chased them into their little house. That was suicide since the rest of the horde was on it's way. The dinoclash was insane though. Got hectic for a minute.

We got so much loot, and the bane of many goons was the first victim. The raptor menace "sally", or whaterver it's name was, is now dead. Lvl 38 raptor.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Picer posted:

The Lvl 38 raptor is now dead.
At last!

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjCv5WHqWf0

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Can I run this game with
i5 760 2.80 GHz
and a nVidia GTX 460?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Maybe but you won't be happy

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Anyone on now? Just logged into 40.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

There's a huge, well-built base on the other side of Metal Mountain. They have mammoths and trikes already, so we need to take them out before they expand and wreck the metal base that has all of our good poo poo.

It's bigger and better-built than our raid target earlier. We need to wreck this thing today sometime. Hopefully this evening before they can get the first hit on us.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Google Butt posted:

Maybe but you won't be happy

I'm already not happy :(

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
I have a relatively beefy server sitting mostly unused (Xeon E5-1620, 64GB ram), I don't mind hosting a goon server, but not sure if it would have good routing for most people (Montreal, Canada).

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

ScorpioMajesty posted:

don't expect to play any newer games on a craptop my man

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

37th Chamber posted:

I have a relatively beefy server sitting mostly unused (Xeon E5-1620, 64GB ram), I don't mind hosting a goon server, but not sure if it would have good routing for most people (Montreal, Canada).

I suppose it's a question of whether or not ping issues would be better or worse than the current issues that might be better in your server.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

lol you can throw poop

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Moving to private server is a gamble. On one hand the rubber banding is horrific and ruining the game for me. On the other, you risk being the only people playing on it, although our current numbers might attract other players.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Posted in PGS, password protected just for testing right now: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3724645

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

THE PENETRATOR posted:

don't expect to play any newer games on a craptop my man

It runs the Witcher 3 just fine on medium

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
The biggest risk in the game right now is losing your poo poo to other goons. You will most likely wake up naked every day.

ist
Mar 9, 2007
lurkin since '01
Waking up naked every day shouldn't come as too much of a shock. You could have logged on to see your house demolished because some goon wanted that real estate and some quick building materials.

But it's okay because everything is "community property"!

It really is sort of fascinating to see the differing perceptions on ownership. Both for materials/weapons/armor and for tamed dinosaurs. Particularly with the complete inability to track who takes things and the ability to re-name dinosaurs.

Given the complete lack of security on storage, you'd assume everyone would band together to share resources but people still cling to the notion of personal property and get upset when their waterskins get taken while they're offline.

Meanwhile I just run around naked killing dinosaurs with spears until I die because the only thing truly lasting is exp!

Also -- if you're going to log off for say 3 hours, just afk in the mountain outpost while lying prone (hit X) instead to get free bonus exp from people crafting stuff nearby. Your food/water drains extremely slowly so you'd come back with a few hundred exp if goons have been crafting much. Obviously drop your stuff off in a crate first if you're doing this overnight since you will die eventually.

ist fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 7, 2015

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I'm never worried about others taking or using my stuff. It's for the glory of the tribe!

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I just checked out my rig and it meets the recommended requirements so after its optimized I should be fine. Do what should I name my Dino dudarino? I missed out on the mad max name thread so I'm up for suggestions.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

I'd be willing to move to the private server, anybody else up for it?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Nope.

EDIT: Yep.

Givin fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 7, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I went spelunking in a cave with a friend today, it's loving huge and we didn't make it much further than 10-15 snakes, a boatload of bats and a scorpion before we ran out of supplies and had to head back. Next time we'll bring extra water skins and wood/repair materials for our bows.

The stuff down there drops loot though which is cool, lots of extra arrows for the bows and the scorpion actually dropped a metal hatchet so that was nice. I'm fully expecting our cave basecamp to be gone in the morning though.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
How do you obtain metal and how do you obtain crystal? Can't make the spyglass because it needs crystal.

Also I haven't been to caves yet but it seems pretty common for people to wall the entrances off and "own" them. How badly will this affect the game in the long term? Are there vital resources inside that will pretty much cause you to plateau if you can't access them? I'm just thinking that long term wise if that's how it is there will usually be some clans on servers that control those areas and nobody will be able to remove them because of that and so everyone else will get pissed and eventually quit.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've been watching this game on streams and such and it looks pretty fantastic. Should I go ahead and get it now or wait for some more optimization? I have a 970 but I'm not expecting to max it out or anything close really at this point in development.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
It's great now and the performance is getting better by the day, honestly.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

The base on the other side of metal mountain is not a problem - or a base - anymore. Goons roll poo poo when they get off their asses.

lilspooky posted:

How do you obtain metal and how do you obtain crystal? Can't make the spyglass because it needs crystal.

Also I haven't been to caves yet but it seems pretty common for people to wall the entrances off and "own" them. How badly will this affect the game in the long term? Are there vital resources inside that will pretty much cause you to plateau if you can't access them? I'm just thinking that long term wise if that's how it is there will usually be some clans on servers that control those areas and nobody will be able to remove them because of that and so everyone else will get pissed and eventually quit.

Second paragraph answered your crystal question. For metal you need a metal pick and to hit rocks high up on mountains. As far as "control" goes, explosives exist in the game, and if a clan is completely dedicated to locking down a cave with multiple rows of metal walls/doors then they aren't going to have poo poo for power projection anywhere else. If we lock down both exits of the valley such a cave is located in, that spells doom for the clan in question. TL;DR not a huge problem because there are many caves and it's hard to lock one down longterm.

The caves contain some of the artifacts required to summon the "final boss" monsters.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
What region of server 40 is the goon presence in? I've been wandering and getting randomly killed forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Northeast. I think your best bet is spawn North 3? If you head to that part of the island and ask around the mumble server someone can point you right.