Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

UP AND ADAM posted:

The Witcher 3 is better than any Fallout game in any aspect you could name.

Number of friendly robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've read a lot of the fallout lore, and played the 4 canonical games a ton each, and its pretty obvious that the war was caused on purpose. Good old US Patriotic Paranoia wanted to scour the earth clean and so the Enclave formed within the US government to facilitate the war and building of the American Future. West Tek, Vault Tek, RobCo and other big corporations were in on this and were building technologies to help the Real America survive (the Elites and those who had the right beliefs) and enable the Enclave to overpower anyone who may be left after the bombs dropped. It didn't go perfectly because the Chinese launched first so there wasn't time for everyone to get to where they needed to go. Not to mention places like the Sierra Madre which would have been pretty much a Galt's Gulch for the Elites didn't function in the way their creators intended because they had insane scientists building everything.

Plus the whole Vault Project was revealed to be a series of social experiments. Some were control, but most had some thing that was meant to be studied. You can't argue thats not obvious because its literally in every vault in 3 and NV. There is a weird thing that all this was to test humans on long term space travel.

Sharkopath posted:

Number of friendly robots.

No Big Iron or Johnny Guitar.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Not sure why Bethesda doesn't just offer to let Obsidian collaborate with them. Obsidian is perfectly willing to do so with inXile and seem eager to work on Fallout again. Why not give them the chance?

maybe they think their own product is perfectly serviceable in any imaginable way.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

UP AND ADAM posted:

Setting, characters

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Jimbot posted:

I rather Obsidian team up with CDProjekt. The Red engine seems to actually be well made and not broken (still prone to the jank, though, which is fine). Having great facial animations makes a world of difference and Obsidian's writing make use of that really well.
The Witcher 3 is very well written; there's nothing for Obsidian to improve. Obsidian should cooperate with developers that aren't good at writing, such as Bethesda.

I think Obsidian should do the next Elder Scrolls game, at least in partnership with Bethesda. Skyrim's story was a yawner for me. The only great thing about Skyrim is that it's great for mods.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

cthulhoo posted:

maybe they think their own product is perfectly serviceable in any imaginable way.

Yeah but getting a few of them as contractors to do writing, art and logic programming for a few extra side quests can be nothing but a good thing. it's just making more content. obv. they think their poo poo smells so good it doesnt need to be watered down but a proper collaboration like that could work on this.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Why wouldn't Bethesda just hire new blood if they need someone else? There's nothing to gain from getting people from Obsidian specifically, and considering the two devs are at the opposite costs of the United States, it'd be kind of a logistical nightmare too.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Why wouldn't Bethesda just hire new blood if they need someone else? There's nothing to gain from getting people from Obsidian specifically, and considering the two devs are at the opposite costs of the United States, it'd be kind of a logistical nightmare too.
Why doesn't every developer just hire great people? Why do bad games exist?

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014
I know I'll be unable to resist trying it, even though Bethesda has never caused me anything but absolute searing agony. I think something is broken inside me that I continue to give them money even though I hate everything about them and all of their works.

I came here because I need to say what I bet a lot of other people have said earlier in the thread, that I've never felt so alone as when I speak rationally about how abominable Bethesda games are, particularly in the narrative-and-dialogue department, and it was a genuine moment of bliss to see the piece on "Fallout 4's Best Dialogue." I don't think anyone's ever...agreed with me on that before.

twistedmentat posted:

I've read a lot of the fallout lore, and played the 4 canonical games a ton each, and its pretty obvious that the war was caused on purpose.

didn't one of Bethesda's nightmare fuel Fallout 3 DLCs imply that aliens had caused the nuclear war? I have never been so furious about any creative decision in my entire life as I was when I heard that

crawlkill fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 7, 2015

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

UP AND ADAM posted:

Not enough guns.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

crawlkill posted:

I know I'll be unable to resist trying it, even though Bethesda has never caused me anything but absolute searing agony. I think something is broken inside me that I continue to give them money even though I hate everything about them and all of their works.

I came here because I need to say what I bet a lot of other people have said earlier in the thread, that I've never felt so alone as when I speak rationally about how abominable Bethesda games are, particularly in the narrative-and-dialogue department, and it was a genuine moment of bliss to see the piece on "Fallout 4's Best Dialogue." I don't think anyone's ever...agreed with me on that before.

didn't one of Bethesda's nightmare fuel Fallout 3 DLCs imply that aliens had caused the nuclear war? I have never been so furious about any creative decision in my entire life as I was when I heard that

You seem really cool.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

crawlkill posted:

In Fallout 2 I think there was something about a rogue supercomputer AI that triggered the war for some reason (you learn this in Chinatown). I prefer to consider these as crackpot conspiracy theories dreamed up by madmen and fools. In the timeframe of the games, the War happened a long time ago so the true causes have been twisted in memory.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

uhhh fallout 3 has a 91 metacritic and new vegas only an 84, clearly bethesda is better than obsidian at making fallout games

_________________\|

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
The fact that people think bethesda games are good gives me stress hives and heart fibrillation

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Shugojin posted:

uhhh fallout 3 has a 91 metacritic and new vegas only an 84, clearly bethesda is better than obsidian at making fallout games

which as you probably know cost Obsidian royalties on the game (they needed an 85 or something to get royalties, which is, and they admit it, an INSANE way to do business). they ended up having to lay a bunch of people off over that. so EVEN THE ONE GOOD THING TO HAPPEN TO FALLOUT SINCE BETHESDA CAME ALONG HAS A SOUR TASTE TO IT.

the really irritating thing is that New Vegas is just "Fallout 3 improved in every way." it's crazy that the score is lower, and I hate that we live in this world.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Shugojin posted:

I say it's down to lack of originality. If a sequel is not a dramatic change on the previous installment, game journalists will actually lower their scores for lack of originality. Perhaps they saw New Vegas as a glorified expansion pack. It's unfair. I think the Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty series have suffered from this. People are pissing on CoD games not so much because they're badly designed but because they are too samey.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

crawlkill posted:

which as you probably know cost Obsidian royalties on the game (they needed an 85 or something to get royalties, which is, and they admit it, an INSANE way to do business). they ended up having to lay a bunch of people off over that. so EVEN THE ONE GOOD THING TO HAPPEN TO FALLOUT SINCE BETHESDA CAME ALONG HAS A SOUR TASTE TO IT.

the really irritating thing is that New Vegas is just "Fallout 3 improved in every way." it's crazy that the score is lower, and I hate that we live in this world.

Yeah that contract was idiotic and it hosed them out of royalties and pretty much any chance of doing another game for Bethesda.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Baron Bifford posted:

I say it's down to lack of originality. If a sequel is not a dramatic change on the previous installment, game journalists will actually lower their scores for lack of originality. It's unfair. I think the Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty series have suffered from this. People are pissing on CoD games not so much because they're badly designed but because they are too samey.

I agree that that's probably the logic that was going on, but it's mentally exhausting to tally the reasons it's invalid applying to New Vegas, in particular. I can understand diminishing satisfaction when basically the same game is being released annually, but New Vegas was ACTUALLY GOOD. like, characters spoke words, and you got a sense of their personality! you could remember them! what you did made a difference, but you weren't some bizarre Messianic hero bringing magic water to the wastes! New Vegas came in the same poo poo shell that Fallout 3 did, but in terms of what was being done with that bugfuck engine, the difference was light and day.

I'm sure you agree, I'm just venting here

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

They've been doing it for three games. They'll do it for a fourth.

It's so lazy. At least make it so you can't engage combat with the immortals.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Shugojin posted:

Yeah that contract was idiotic and it hosed them out of royalties and pretty much any chance of doing another game for Bethesda.

it ALMOST made sense, though. I mean, if I were a dreaming optimist at Obsidian, I'd go, "hey, look, everyone loved that terrible game, and we know we can do better! it's a sure thing!"

of course sure things never actually are

Kurtofan posted:

It's so lazy. At least make it so you can't engage combat with the immortals.

this was the moment I realized everything everyone said about Bethesda was wrong. Oblivion had been out for a while, I hated it, kept trying to understand why anyone liked it. I get the assassin's guild missions, have to do some despicable stuff, but I figure, okay, they've got this Night Mother figurehead--I'll sully myself so in the end I can take her down. they even develop a plot about a guy trying to do exactly that! "okay," I think, "the game's building up to let me choose to take her down or side with her at the end." get to the end, where you meet the Night Mother in a little grotto and the traitor attacks her--no option to join him. I run the encounter several times, him attacking ME instead of her for some reason as -I- try to cut her down. eventually, I turn on the console, select her and 'kill.'

"The Night Mother has fallen unconscious."

Bethesda is trash for trash people.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
One thing that pleased me about New Vegas is that it had farms. Fallout 3 had no agriculture whatsoever, which left me wondering how the gently caress all the people of Megaton and the aircraft carrier were feeding themselves. Obsidian clearly put more thought into their world.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

SunAndSpring posted:

Not sure why Bethesda doesn't just offer to let Obsidian collaborate with them. Obsidian is perfectly willing to do so with inXile and seem eager to work on Fallout again. Why not give them the chance?

Why would they want to? It made sort-of sense to bring them back to make a West Coast story, but Fallout 3 made it clear that they can do a Fallout game that audiences enjoy. If they want to come back to do a LA/Boneyard story, fine, but keep them on a tight leash.

Unrelated: I want to play Fallout 3 since I haven't in a while, but reading the wiki tells me I didn't really check out everything in Old World Blues but I really don't want to reslog through NV to get to a level to do it.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Baron Bifford posted:

One thing that pleased me about New Vegas is that it had farms. Fallout 3 had no agriculture whatsoever, which left me wondering how the gently caress all the people of Megaton and the aircraft carrier were feeding themselves. Obsidian clearly put more thought into their world.

Rivet City somehow produces all the food in DC for every settlement. No really, that was their lovely excuse.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

but I really don't want to reslog through NV to get to a level to do it.

just cheat? I'm sure you can console command yourself to an appropriate level and gear-place easily. I thhhink you can start OWB at any point, don't need to progress the story or anything.

don't replay Fallout 3. you're better than that. I don't know who you are, but you're capable of speaking in complete sentences, so you're better than that.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

MisterBibs posted:

Why would they want to? It made sort-of sense to bring them back to make a West Coast story, but Fallout 3 made it clear that they can do a Fallout game that audiences enjoy. If they want to come back to do a LA/Boneyard story, fine, but keep them on a tight leash.

Unrelated: I want to play Fallout 3 since I haven't in a while, but reading the wiki tells me I didn't really check out everything in Old World Blues but I really don't want to reslog through NV to get to a level to do it.
reminder that this person has trouble with world of warcraft quests

crawlkill posted:

don't replay Fallout 3. you're better than that. I don't know who you are, but you're capable of speaking in complete sentences, so you're better than that.
I have bad news for you, speaking in complete sentences is not a prerequisite for working cognitive functions.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
I like Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas.

I will buy Fallout 4 and have a good time.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I have bad news for you, speaking in complete sentences is not a prerequisite for working cognitive functions.

I'm trying to save a life here, let me have some optimism (also you got that backward it would be working cognitive functions that weren't a prerequisite for speaking in complete sentences, jeez, try and get your weary insults right)

crawlkill fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 7, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

crawlkill posted:

I'm trying to save a life here, let me have some optimism (also you got that backward, it would be working cognitive functions that weren't a prerequisite for speaking in complete sentences, jeez, try and get your weary insults right)
I don't think you know MisterBibs

I'm pretty sure his early-development education consists solely of the back sides of cereal boxes

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
I once met someone who liked Mothership Zeta.

We argued for three hours.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I don't think you know MisterBibs

I'm pretty sure his early-development education consists solely of the back sides of cereal boxes

you keep editing your posts to try and make them more specifically insulting but the minimal bite has actually diminished each time

you should stop doing that

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

crawlkill posted:

you keep editing your posts to try and make them more specifically insulting but the minimal bite has actually diminished each time

you should stop doing that
Are you sure you're even replying to the right person here

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

reminder that this person has trouble with world of warcraft quests

You keep bringing this up, and you keep forgetting that I loved WoW questing. I had a bunch of alts just because I liked leveling. The only time I had a 'problem' with questing was trying to find cave entrances. Questing was my wheelhouse. Way better than standing next to a large boss hitting a rotation for 10-15 minutes at a time getting loot that'll be replaced by questing greens the next expansion.

crawlkill posted:

But I liked Fallout 3 (way better in exploration and setting) and really don't want to walk through empty deserts while hearing Johnny Guitar for the billionth time.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 7, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

LEGO Genetics posted:

I once met someone who liked Mothership Zeta.

We argued for three hours.

It's me, lets go.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Aliens are cool and rayguns are cool and spaceships are cool, your turn.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

it wasnt royalties it was a cash bonus. still sucks but gently caress guys.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Sharkopath posted:

It's me, lets go.
Mothership Zeta is fun if you use the mod that fills every square foot with aliens

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Mothership Zeta is great there's nothing like an appallingly slow spacesuit sequence and then getting stuck because you decided to make a friendly robot and now it's frantically trying to open a door and causing a dialogue window to pop up every second

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Shugojin posted:

Mothership Zeta is great there's nothing like an appallingly slow spacesuit sequence and then getting stuck because you decided to make a friendly robot and now it's frantically trying to open a door and causing a dialogue window to pop up every second
:agreed:

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

But I liked Fallout 3 (way better in exploration and setting) and really don't want to walk through empty deserts while hearing Johnny Guitar for the billionth time.

never mind, Anime Schoolgirl can insult you in whatever way it prefers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

crawlkill posted:

never mind, Anime Schoolgirl can insult you in whatever way it prefers
I'm sorry Bethesda broke your mind so much that you try to look for reasons to argue with people who actually agree with you :(

Just play Morrowind again and pretend they never made anything after that

• Locked thread