Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So apparently, Nayuta no Kiseki has been getting translated.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/nayuta-no-kiseki-english-translation.373365/

Anyone know anything about this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I haven't played it, but it's an action-rpg like the Ys games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez-v9MDNDQM

It's supposed to be more story-focused than the usual Ys game, which is why Falcom used the "Kiseki" name. It's not related to all the other Kiseki games though.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Well, it certainly looks as if the success of their various PC ports and translations has had an effect.

I'm actually a bit curious how the success of the various Ys games compares to Trails.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

is there any way to head back to town from the area right before ernst in napishtim

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh yeah, someone translated the MSX version of Sorcerian: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2348/

That's a series I've always wanted to try/get into. A goon did a really good LP of the IBM DOS (I think) version a couple years back, I need to find and watch that again.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

kirbysuperstar posted:

That's a series I've always wanted to try/get into. A goon did a really good LP of the IBM DOS (I think) version a couple years back, I need to find and watch that again.

Yeah that LP was really good!

Also if you're daring there is a version of Sorcerian Complete (or whatever the final remaster was called) on iOS available internationally (Japanese text only though). Aeria Games published it, which is a little weird but hey whatever.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Cake Attack posted:

is there any way to head back to town from the area right before ernst in napishtim

Nope. I think the game warns you a million times before you get there that you can't go back. I tried on the steam version with warping and its disabled there as well.

I've been replaying Ys Seven since last week and I'm not sure why people feel its the weakest game. I'm not including games that have been remade, and I think Seven is still far more playable (and replayable) than 1, 2, 6 and maybe even Origins. Sure its unpolished compared to Celceta but so was Napishtim compared to what followed. PPSSPP fixed most of the earlier bugs with it (the minimap being a black square, a dungeon being entirely in the dark when it should very clearly be lit up, etc) and I'm contemplating giving it a go for an LP.

The only things that irritate me about Seven is the button combination for guarding and Aisha's attack voice. At least you can turn the latter off or just not use her.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Hoohah posted:

Nope. I think the game warns you a million times before you get there that you can't go back. I tried on the steam version with warping and its disabled there as well.

I've been replaying Ys Seven since last week and I'm not sure why people feel its the weakest game. I'm not including games that have been remade, and I think Seven is still far more playable (and replayable) than 1, 2, 6 and maybe even Origins. Sure its unpolished compared to Celceta but so was Napishtim compared to what followed. PPSSPP fixed most of the earlier bugs with it (the minimap being a black square, a dungeon being entirely in the dark when it should very clearly be lit up, etc) and I'm contemplating giving it a go for an LP.

The only things that irritate me about Seven is the button combination for guarding and Aisha's attack voice. At least you can turn the latter off or just not use her.

I think how much you like Seven is dependent on how much you like the break from platformer-Ys to party RPG Ys.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Hey guys how long of a game is trails in the sky, I just grabbed it since I've heard really good things. The PC controls are actually pretty good, but I have like 2 weeks until the FFXIV expansion comes out, just wondering if I'll have enough time to get through it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

queeb posted:

Hey guys how long of a game is trails in the sky, I just grabbed it since I've heard really good things. The PC controls are actually pretty good, but I have like 2 weeks until the FFXIV expansion comes out, just wondering if I'll have enough time to get through it.

Pretty long. I think my clock read like 40ish hours by the time I beat it?

EDIT: Just checked Steam - 46 hours.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you can do it in 30 if you hustle, 40-50 is probably more realistic depending on how many sidequests you do

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I know I broke 50 hours which is probably more than most people.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

queeb posted:

Probably 40 hours, but it could be a lot higher. 60 hours if you really, really like talking to NPC's.

It depends a lot on how much you like talking to NPC's. There is a crazy amount of dialogue - almost every single NPC in the game has a name and personality, and after every major main plot beat, the NPC's get new dialogue.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Hoohah posted:

You can block in Ys Seven? That probably would have been good to know when I was playing it.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

King of Solomon posted:

You can block in Ys Seven? That probably would have been good to know when I was playing it.

You have to hit both of the shoulder buttons. You know, including the one that makes you use your extra skill, so you have to get into the habit of holding the right shoulder before hitting the left. I played through the game the first time knowing you could somehow do it from watching a video, but it is literally never explained in the game at all so I figured it was something you pick up / learn later, but I got all the way through and they never explained it. I had to look up how to do it, which made it even more amusing that someone said 'god why didn't you do the tutorial, they teach you!' when they actually don't tell you how (I checked on this play through to be sure). It also requires close to perfect timing, and you can't just hold both buttons down. You have to hammer one of the two buttons while you're getting hit to keep guarding longer attacks, and it tremendously slows the FPS down (I think its intentional to do so). If you miss a guard, you have to wait a couple of frames before you can try again and usually get hit if you were only a few frames off, so for a lot of attacks its easier to dodge roll out of the way.

The benefit is you gain both SP and Extra while doing it, and for like 3 attacks after a successful guard you get guaranteed crits. Nice to use for certain bosses before you bust out the extra attack. Some bosses have attacks that you can intentionally stand in to build up both really fast, and makes them a lot easier. For example, the worm extra boss in the desert has a sink hole kind of attack, it does a damage check on like every frame, if you get hit by it it skips a few frames so as to not obliterate you. If you stand in it and spam guard, you can top up SP much faster than doing charge attacks and makes him fairly trivial. Also maybe its just me but it makes the really satisfying "use skill" sound for every frame you block so I feel like I'm playing properly when I do it. Once you get to going to the Sanctums, the bosses in there are much easier if you can learn the block timing for their attacks. There's a certain boss that has a non-warning super attack that appears you can't block it, but everything else I've run into seems just fine.

The first boss is one of the best in the game to practice guarding, since you don't have extra skills yet and he has a variety of attacks to help you learn timing. Play it on Hard or Nightmare since certain attacks change how they work on those difficulties. Celceta fixed both dodge and block by making block a button you can hold down to mitigate damage, and giving you flash guard and flash dodge if you time things just right. Refinements that I really wish were present in Seven, since flash dodge was sometimes a lot more powerful than flash guard.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Hoohah posted:

well i beat it anyway. only managed to beat Ernst by equipping offense gear at the expense of defense so I could actually do more than 8 damage a hit even though i was taking 100 per hit, and ended up needing to take advantage of being so close to a level i would level mid fight by killing a fairy, and the full revive item so i functionally had three lives.

naphistim was really easy, comparatively

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

toddy. posted:

Also if you're daring there is a version of Sorcerian Complete (or whatever the final remaster was called) on iOS available internationally (Japanese text only though). Aeria Games published it, which is a little weird but hey whatever.

Alas, I am an Android user. Well there's a hundred other versions of it to experience :v:

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Oh I missed this post last night.

RadicalR posted:

The game is almost completely translated! SkyeWelse was leading the whole thing iirc.

It's a spinoff of the trails series that plays like a Action-RPG Platformer akin to the Zwei games and Gurumin. Some mystical fairy world got its seasons all screwed up and it's up to some kid and a fairy that shoots stuff to murder everything that moves.

I like it a lot, though it is really easy on the lower difficulties.

Also SkyeWelse approached BoF games about finally finishing the Zwei 2 translation patch so we may see that in the future as well after two years with no word from the patch team.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

King of Solomon posted:

Think of it like earth guarding in Oath in Felghana but you get it immediately without notice and once you learn how to do it (it's really easy) you will tear through bosses.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

RadicalR posted:

I have played through the entire game with this translation. It is rough, but legible. Nayuta no Kiseki is really awesome. Play it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

keep in mind that unless there was another nayuta translation, the guy who did it by his own admission barely speaks japanese

i don't think anyone cares about the story in nayuta though so it's not a dealbreaker

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 10, 2015

Wendell
May 11, 2003

So did he just make the script up then?!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i have no idea, i'm guessing it's google translate combined with guesswork and what he does know

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Cake Attack posted:

keep in mind that unless there was another nayuta translation, the guy who did it by his own admission barely speaks japanese

i don't think anyone cares about the story in nayuta though so it's not a dealbreaker

how does this even work

e: actually this reminds me of how tearring saga was "translated" from japanese to english by a vietnamese dude who barely knew either haha

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
He *really* wants this game translated. I'm sure if a translator stepped up, he'll be glad to insert their translations in.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Hoohah posted:

You have to hit both of the shoulder buttons. You know, including the one that makes you use your extra skill, so you have to get into the habit of holding the right shoulder before hitting the left. I played through the game the first time knowing you could somehow do it from watching a video, but it is literally never explained in the game at all so I figured it was something you pick up / learn later, but I got all the way through and they never explained it.

You must have skipped the tutorial, because I'm like 99% sure they make you do it there.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

SC Bracer posted:

how does this even work
a bilingual dictionary and a basic understanding of japanese grammar can get you p. far

doesn't make for a good translation, but you can make most of it work

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

SC Bracer posted:

how does this even work

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Last Celebration posted:

You must have skipped the tutorial, because I'm like 99% sure they make you do it there.

They don't, Ys 7 never tells you blocking is a thing.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lol dark fact is so dumb

i ended up winning when i got stranded on a single tile in a corner and survived long enough for him to run into me and die

Faroush
Mar 21, 2009

Amashing

Cake Attack posted:

lol dark fact is so dumb

i ended up winning when i got stranded on a single tile in a corner and survived long enough for him to run into me and die

Holy hell that sounds amazing

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Cake Attack posted:

lol dark fact is so dumb

Dark Fact's encounter design hasn't really been updated since the 80s, and it really shows

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

SpaceDrake posted:

{Ys I Boss}'s encounter design hasn't really been updated since the 80s, and it really shows

I'll be honest they're all pretty bad except maybe Pictimos he's almost passable.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Have some e3 Cold Steel clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1WwHknto90 Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA_rlrhGg5E Battle Clip, shows off some translation for you people who are insufferable spergs about that.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i am an insufferable sperg about that, considering i'm probably gonna spend more time reading than playing the translation better be good. xseed has never disappointed me there though so whatever

anyway, the graphics are about as rough as i expected, but the concept art of the walled city with all the traintracks leading into it was cool. those are my thoughts.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

also that blue-haired girl with the sword about her size seems cool

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zaggitz posted:

Have some e3 Cold Steel clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1WwHknto90 Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA_rlrhGg5E Battle Clip, shows off some translation for you people who are insufferable spergs about that.

This looks good and I want to play it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

toddy. posted:

I'll be honest they're all pretty bad except maybe Pictimos he's almost passable.

Nyltiger is pretty solid. I mean, you probably forgot about him since he dies in thirty seconds, but still.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Levantine posted:

This looks good and I want to play it.

Yes

Is there going to be voice acting? There isn't any in that clip and I kind of like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Paperhouse posted:

Yes

Is there going to be voice acting? There isn't any in that clip and I kind of like that

There's no voice acting in the clip because they're just starting the recording process. There will be voice acting and it's going to be English only.

• Locked thread