Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Best value might be to just go through a dealer and get Quicksilver brand, which is basically Mercury OEM. Might be a little more expensive, but if it's work related and/or for your boss(es) the few extra dollars for maintenance parts wouldn't be a bad move. We always had trouble getting Merc parts in correctly from places like Sierra.

If you do want to go aftermarket, call up a boat repair place in your area that specifically ISNT a Mercury Authorized service center and ask them about getting parts.

I probably should have been more specific, this is for us to stock the store I work at, so we're limited to whoever the company is partnered with. Store manager has 0 experience with marine stuff but still wants to sell it, so I volunteered to look it all up. Our marine stuff comes mainly through sierra, thus my problem. Though looking at mercury's website for parts, it mentions something about a classic parts catalog that goes up to 1989. Perhaps in 1990 they took all their parts in-house after doing a huge model refresh and thats why I can't find anything in the sierra catalogs or similar.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Elmnt80 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI0ve18j0TQ

Have some roadkill playing with boats! :toot:

Thats some good poo poo. Anybody know of other stuff like this? Somebody getting a ratty old sailboat and fixing that up would be especially interesting. "Hold Fast" is related, and is definitely nautical insanity.

Edit: If you want a good example of their insanity, skip to around 17 minutes, where they step the mast using a $$$ yacht's dinghy davit.
Moar edit: Apparently the "Anarchist Yacht Clubb" has made more docus, will report back if any are good.
Also, infosec goons, you may recognize the dude in "Hold Fast" as the author as sslstrip.

CBJamo fucked around with this message at 11:02 on May 15, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Elmnt80 posted:

I probably should have been more specific, this is for us to stock the store I work at, so we're limited to whoever the company is partnered with. Store manager has 0 experience with marine stuff but still wants to sell it, so I volunteered to look it all up. Our marine stuff comes mainly through sierra, thus my problem. Though looking at mercury's website for parts, it mentions something about a classic parts catalog that goes up to 1989. Perhaps in 1990 they took all their parts in-house after doing a huge model refresh and thats why I can't find anything in the sierra catalogs or similar.

Have you phoned mercury?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Elmnt80 posted:

Ok...wow...seems like kind of an odd thing to specialize in. For outboards, we stocked common things like impeller kits, fuel filters, anodes, other common wear items depending on motor/horsepower/year. Anything else we ordered in as necessary because things barely moved off the shelf and we didn't try to keep huge $$$ in inventory. Sorry but I can't really recommend anyone but Sierra as we were pretty much OEM for Merc/Yamaha/OMC and only went with Sierra aftermarket if we had a customer that insisted on saving a few bucks on his parts.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ok...wow...seems like kind of an odd thing to specialize in. For outboards, we stocked common things like impeller kits, fuel filters, anodes, other common wear items depending on motor/horsepower/year. Anything else we ordered in as necessary because things barely moved off the shelf and we didn't try to keep huge $$$ in inventory. Sorry but I can't really recommend anyone but Sierra as we were pretty much OEM for Merc/Yamaha/OMC and only went with Sierra aftermarket if we had a customer that insisted on saving a few bucks on his parts.

Its a major chain car parts store, but we're close enough to the gulf that we get a few people in looking for shared parts like fuel/water separators and plugs. Boss wants to step it up with other common wear items (Impellers and water pump kits. Maybe carb kits if there is a decent amount of overlap between models), thus I'm trying to figure out what will sell. Low to mid HP Evinrude/Johnsons, Mid to high HP Yamahas and the mid to high HP Mercs is kinda what I'm thinking just based off what I've seen in my area.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 16, 2015

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
A commercial fish tug trawling off the end of Long Point in Lake Erie yanked a 75 foot mast out of a sunken schooner wreck last week. It's sitting on the pier while authorities figure out what to do with the thing. The town museum has a nice collection of shipwreck artifacts but this one won't fit in their building.

The Simcoe Reformer posted:

Captain Glenn Spain of Port Dover and crew mates Gorden Morin and Doug Baguley snagged the relic near the deepest part of Lake Erie southeast of the tip of Long Point. The tug was trawling at about three miles an hour and pulled up the giant hunk of lumber with hardly a stutter.

On Wednesday, Spain said he towed the mast into the harbour to spare additional damage to his gear.

“My only way to get rid of it was to get out my knife and start hacking away,” Spain said. “It would have cost me about $6,000 in net. As it is, my net wasn't too badly damaged. It turned out to be bigger than any of us thought.”

http://www.simcoereformer.ca/2015/05/13/mast-a-blast-from-the-past

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
In my never-ending quest to video-document most of anything I do with the boat, here's the part where I actually get the boat in the water.
Presented by my wife and myself chatting along over dinner. This is longish and not very well-spoken at all, do with it as you please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6Ba0wKeAzM

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Nice! I enjoyed it, good discussion of what you've done.

I just got back last week from a week long sail in the British Virgin Islands with a bunch of friends. We did bareboat charters for two catamarans through Voyage Yachts, with me skippering Freedom Seeker, a Voyage 500 (50-foot cat!) and my friend who helped organize the trip with me skippering Holoholo, a Voyage 440P (44-footer).

The deck of my boat while moored at Norman Island just north of The Bight:

Some of my friends on the deck as we motored from Norman Island to Cooper Island (the wind was directly against us and we needed to make sure we got a mooring ball that day, so didn't feel like tacking back and forth the whole way!)

My perfect parking job at the Bitter End Yacht Club in a slip that was barely 10 feet wider than my boat (I'm inordinately proud of this as it was only the second time I'd ever had to back into a slip on a catamaran like this and I was dealing with a headwind the whole time):

Holoholo at sail from Cooper Island toward the Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor (Spanish Town):

Freedom Seeker at anchor the last day of the trip, at Sandy Cay, just southeast of Jost Van Dyke:

I'm already working on getting the contract signed for my next charter: I'm taking Christelle, a 2001 Beneteau Oceanis 505, on a 4d/3n trip around the San Juan Islands in September.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Pulled my in-laws Hobie 16 out from under a pine tree, put the mast up, rigged it, and took it out a little over the weekend. First time it's been in the water in several years.

The old, sun baked tramp developed a small tear, and most everything that moves sticks at some point or another.

Also, I haven't sailed in 10+ years, so I need to figure that out again.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Pulled my in-laws Hobie 16 out from under a pine tree, put the mast up, rigged it, and took it out a little over the weekend. First time it's been in the water in several years.

The old, sun baked tramp developed a small tear, and most everything that moves sticks at some point or another.

Also, I haven't sailed in 10+ years, so I need to figure that out again.

Make sure you get some new battens for that main and you'll have a much better time out there. Missing the lower batten especially hurts your power.

Does the jib have battens pockets as well? I have a roller furling jib on my 14 and I don't know much about the 16s.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Beach Bum posted:

Make sure you get some new battens for that main and you'll have a much better time out there. Missing the lower batten especially hurts your power.

Does the jib have battens pockets as well? I have a roller furling jib on my 14 and I don't know much about the 16s.

Pretty sure all the battens were there, if not, there is a second sail and boom too.

And yes, the jib has battens as well.

Some of the batten pockets need sewing up, much like most of the boat, lots of little things, but nothing that makes it unsailable.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

Kenshin posted:

Nice! I enjoyed it, good discussion of what you've done.

I just got back last week from a week long sail in the British Virgin Islands with a bunch of friends. We did bareboat charters for two catamarans through Voyage Yachts, with me skippering Freedom Seeker, a Voyage 500 (50-foot cat!) and my friend who helped organize the trip with me skippering Holoholo, a Voyage 440P (44-footer).

The deck of my boat while moored at Norman Island just north of The Bight:

Some of my friends on the deck as we motored from Norman Island to Cooper Island (the wind was directly against us and we needed to make sure we got a mooring ball that day, so didn't feel like tacking back and forth the whole way!)

My perfect parking job at the Bitter End Yacht Club in a slip that was barely 10 feet wider than my boat (I'm inordinately proud of this as it was only the second time I'd ever had to back into a slip on a catamaran like this and I was dealing with a headwind the whole time):

Holoholo at sail from Cooper Island toward the Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor (Spanish Town):

Freedom Seeker at anchor the last day of the trip, at Sandy Cay, just southeast of Jost Van Dyke:

I'm already working on getting the contract signed for my next charter: I'm taking Christelle, a 2001 Beneteau Oceanis 505, on a 4d/3n trip around the San Juan Islands in September.

Nice! I have been down there a few time on a bare boat with the family. How did you like the cat? We have always been down on a monohull but are looking at a cat for next time. Always found we were motoring more than sailing given the number of fishing nets and reefs around. Glad to see you actually shook the sails out. I can't remember seeing too many cats with the sails out.

I hope you found the snorkeling spot at Norman Island! I think it is one of the best on the islands for easy accessibility. Also make sure you get to the Baths if you did not on your last trip. Very worth the trip!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ZincBoy posted:

Glad to see you actually shook the sails out. I can't remember seeing too many cats with the sails out.

Why would someone rent a sailboat, and then not sail it? Why not just rent a powerboat instead?

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

The Locator posted:

Why would someone rent a sailboat, and then not sail it? Why not just rent a powerboat instead?

Why are many sail boats called trawlers on a stick? :) Plus power boats cost more to rent for a given length/beam. The last time I was down there I started to see a lot more "power cats" which are just catamarans without the sail bits and a bigger motor(s).

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

ZincBoy posted:

Nice! I have been down there a few time on a bare boat with the family. How did you like the cat? We have always been down on a monohull but are looking at a cat for next time. Always found we were motoring more than sailing given the number of fishing nets and reefs around. Glad to see you actually shook the sails out. I can't remember seeing too many cats with the sails out.

I hope you found the snorkeling spot at Norman Island! I think it is one of the best on the islands for easy accessibility. Also make sure you get to the Baths if you did not on your last trip. Very worth the trip!
I prefer cats to monohulls. Much more space, more comfortable. Better for a real vacation, especially in a place like the BVIs where the shallow draft comes in handy.

We did lots of sailing, and I saw a lot of other catamarans sailing too. I think we sailed almost every day aside from motoring from Norman Island to Cooper Island. Highest speed we hit during the trip on sail was 9.2 knots on a close-reach on a pretty stiff ~22 knot apparent wind.

And yeah, we went to The Baths. :)

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
So I just impulse bought a bass boat with my father in law. It's a 1987 Bass Tracker Tournament 17ft with a mercury 50 outboard. Paid a pittance for it, $900 was my share with trailer.

I know next to nothing about boats though, I only have ever wrenched cars. It was purchased off his friend who maintained the heck out of it. Starts right up and drives smoothly from what I can gather. I had it out on the water today and it was pretty drama free. The only thing not working right is the trolling motor. The foot pedal makes it go but it won't turn. Otherwise the body is perfect, no rips in the upholstery, leather seats look new.

Anything I should do right away with this thing assuming it was maintained well? Or just enjoy it while learning about boats? Any particular resources to check out?

I'm thrilled. I love fishing but was getting sick of shore fishing, so it rules being out on the water. Seems like a good enough use for my $900!

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 6, 2015

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Anything I should do right away with this thing assuming it was maintained well? Or just enjoy it while learning about boats? Any particular resources to check out?

I'd change the water pump impeller and change the gear oil in the lower unit if you don't know when the last time they were changed. Gear oil should be an annual thing, and the impeller is every other year at least, depending on how much you run it.

Outboards aren't complicated at all, and almost everything is easy to get to.

Edit: those seats aren't leather, they're vinyl.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I'd also sea foam it, via the intake. I'm assuming it's a two stroke? Then change the plugs.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Boat's in the water now, and we put the mast on this past weekend.

Mast loaded onto the boat, ready to head over to the crane to put it on.

The crane is a modest home-made affair. It's only about half as tall as the mast, but that's not really a problem; as you can see the line hooks up to the mast just beneath the shroud spreaders about a third of the way up. Then you get someone to hold the foot of the mast down while raising it up.

Holding the mast hanging from the crane while they're fastening it and tightening up the shrouds and stays etc. The winch has a serial number plate informing me that it was manufactured in 1965 in Düsseldorf, West Germany. Still going strong!

All done. Annoyingly, moments after this photo was taken we discovered the windex was put on backwards, so now we need to find somewhere with a better crane you can climb up into to adjust it, because gently caress taking the mast down again just to fix that.

We put the boom on too so now it's just a matter of trimming the rig a bit and it's all ready for a sailing trip. Weather has been pretty poo poo so far though.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

TheFluff posted:

All done. Annoyingly, moments after this photo was taken we discovered the windex was put on backwards, so now we need to find somewhere with a better crane you can climb up into to adjust it, because gently caress taking the mast down again just to fix that.

Just get a bosun's chair and have someone winch you up the mast to fix that instead of yanking the whole thing down.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

So I just impulse bought a bass boat with my father in law. It's a 1987 Bass Tracker Tournament 17ft with a mercury 50 outboard. Paid a pittance for it, $900 was my share with trailer.

I know next to nothing about boats though, I only have ever wrenched cars. It was purchased off his friend who maintained the heck out of it. Starts right up and drives smoothly from what I can gather. I had it out on the water today and it was pretty drama free. The only thing not working right is the trolling motor. The foot pedal makes it go but it won't turn. Otherwise the body is perfect, no rips in the upholstery, leather seats look new.

I'm thrilled. I love fishing but was getting sick of shore fishing, so it rules being out on the water. Seems like a good enough use for my $900!
Water Pump Impeller - Every year or two at the most. It's made of rubber and will degrade over time so even if you don't use the boat much, every 2nd year is a safe bet. Get a water pump repair kit instead of just the bare impeller. When you take it apart, there should be a metal plate that the impeller sits on. If this has a bunch of deep grooves, it can cause a lack of water pressure, and will need to be replaced. New one should come in the kit. Also the gaskets the kit comes with should be replaced.

Lower unit oil (gearlube), change it whenever you change the impeller. Probably holds 1 quart or just under/over 1 quart, look it up based on year/model to be specific.

Fuel filter in the engine should be replaced with impeller kit. Also, you should install a boat-mounted water/fuel separating kit if the boat doesn't have one already. This is plumbed in between the tank and engine, and is as simple as mounting a bracket to a bulkhead, cutting the fuel line from tank to engine, and then putting the hose ends on the fuel line barbs.

Spark plugs, to be safe, change with water pump impeller, or after seafoaming.

As with any engine, look up Youtubes or DIYs for your specific model (which is on the Serial Number tag on the engine) for exact specifics. Things like making sure the throttle is in neutral when dropping the lower unit, "burping" the gearlube, etc. Most of the big engine manufacturers put maintenance intervals on these things at 100 hours/annually, but every other year is usually ok once you have a baseline. On an older engine you can be looking at things like coils, relays, stator, etc. but those parts you won't really replace until they fail.

As far as the trolling motor, it sounds like the cable broke or the ends snapped that control the side to side movement. The cable is somewhat similar to what is used for bicycle brakes. Call up a marine service center near you and ask them if there is a trolling motor repair shop they'd recommend. Their rates will easily be half as much as a full boat repair place.

Enjoy the boat!

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Well it's been a hectic final push in the ~*scraping saga*~, but I made the launching window on the very last day. Here's a rundown of the past week:

Fourth and final coat of epoxy primer on, Tuesday evening.

First coat of anti-foul, black, Wednesday morning.

Final coat of anti-foul, blue, Wednesday evening.

In between I found time to shine up the old bronze screw.

And somehow also found time to install a raw water strainer (bottom left). I had to put it on the "wrong" side of the engine, so the hoses are long as poo poo, but I don't think that should be a problem. Just extra peace of mind that the heat exchanger doesn't clog up with mussels and jellyfish over time.

Yoink, Thursday morning.

Plop. In the right element and running nicely. :)

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
Oh wow, seeing all the pictures of the bow before I assumed it was a planing hull with an outdrive, but it turns out to be a cute and economical double-ender. Color me happily surprised.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Oh, also, this past Saturday I stripped the reservoir plug on the power tilt trim on my Yamaha C85 while trying to top up the fluid. Couldn't get the plug back out, so I've ordered a new reservoir, plug, and associated o-rings.

Did manage to successfully get the water pump impeller and gear oil changed though. Just as a reminder, they do sometimes include extra gaskets and o-rings in the kit that your particular motor may not need so that they can cover more models with the same impeller kit.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Bibendum posted:

Oh wow, seeing all the pictures of the bow before I assumed it was a planing hull with an outdrive, but it turns out to be a cute and economical double-ender. Color me happily surprised.

It's actually a semi-planing hull so it can sort of go fast as well, with enough power. Traditional nordic "snekke" design over the water line... you could say it's a sleeper. :)

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

You know what turns out to be loving hard? Living on a sailboat after you tear all the ligaments in your ankle playing soccer and have to use crutches. Ugh.

I haven't fallen overboard or down the companionway yet but its just a matter of time

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So, I go to replace the tilt/trim reservoir, and surprise surprise the head of one of the bolts comes off. So, now I'm going to soak that fucker in penetrating oil, cut a slot into the nub that's left, and hope it comes out.

Also, didn't take the tilt/trim unit all the way off because the bottom engine mounting bolts are in the way of taking out the bottom tilt/trim unit bolts. Was able to get it loose and gain access to all of the bolts for the reservoir, but now I'm also going to have to pull the bottom engine mount bolts to pull the tilt/trim all the way off to get that headless bolt out.

At least the boat is clean and waxed, after I spent most of Saturday working on that.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So this is a pretty awesome video to spend 12 minutes of your life on. Construction of the Fairlie 55, combining some very traditional ship-building with modern materials and tools, and producing a beautiful result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDgKIPaW5xY

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

The Locator posted:

So this is a pretty awesome video to spend 12 minutes of your life on. Construction of the Fairlie 55, combining some very traditional ship-building with modern materials and tools, and producing a beautiful result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDgKIPaW5xY
That's a cool video. What were they doing before flipping it over, where they put some kind of mesh over the wood and then put the green stuff on it? Is that a kevlar/fiberglass and epoxy resin reinforcement layer?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

That's a cool video. What were they doing before flipping it over, where they put some kind of mesh over the wood and then put the green stuff on it? Is that a kevlar/fiberglass and epoxy resin reinforcement layer?

I believe the mesh/resin was fiberglassing it, and I assume by the way they were sanding it after the green stuff, it's a filler to ensure no dips or bumps show on the final product. It was a crying shame to see that beautiful planking get covered up though. :)

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Picked up an old 84 Kawi JS550 and I've been working on getting it ready for the water. I've got new mats for it and a new hood gasket (aka hood seal). Is the hood supposed to sit on top of the gasket and compress it downward? Or am I supposed to leave a gap between the seal and the lip on the hull so that the hood goes between, and the hood contacts directly with the hull?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Gorson posted:

Picked up an old 84 Kawi JS550 and I've been working on getting it ready for the water. I've got new mats for it and a new hood gasket (aka hood seal). Is the hood supposed to sit on top of the gasket and compress it downward? Or am I supposed to leave a gap between the seal and the lip on the hull so that the hood goes between, and the hood contacts directly with the hull?

Congratulations on buying the best and most fun water toy ever made. I owned the 89 JS550 - the last of the pure JetSki. They went "SX" model after that and it was never the same.

The hood will rest right on top of the gasket squishing it down eventually leaving it's own crease. This image shows what I mean:

(some of these images can be clicked for big)

The most important stuff you'll want after that is a handle pole spring, which greatly reduces the weight of the handlepole:

finger trigger throttle ('84 probably has a thumb throttle): 84 might have the old model trigger throttle, the wide plastic one.

straighter handlebars (stock bars hit you in the dingdong at full lock)

Bad stock bars:

Good aftermarket bars:

And if you still have the dashboard cover flap installed, you'll need about a dozen of those little 0-ring grommets that keep the flap stuck into the hood release lever.

They fit in that hole on the right side of the pictue and wear out all the time.

Ditch the choke and replace it for a primer. Install a high power bilge pump for all the submarines you'll be doing.

Find an old copy of "JetDream" on VHS and relive my glory days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeEO0wf8k1w

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

AnimalChin posted:

Congratulations on buying the best and most fun water toy ever made. I owned the 89 JS550 - the last of the pure JetSki. They went "SX" model after that and it was never the same.

The hood will rest right on top of the gasket squishing it down eventually leaving it's own crease. This image shows what I mean:

(some of these images can be clicked for big)

Thanks! I'm loving working on this machine, I've had a great time restoring it back to a semblance of it's former glory. I've got some experience with riding these back in the day, my brother owned a 650sx with some aftermarket stuff on it. It amazes me that stand ups don't get the popularity they deserve, but then again people just want to get on a sit-down and hammer the throttle and "have fun". I get bored on those within minutes.

AnimalChin posted:

finger trigger throttle ('84 probably has a thumb throttle): 84 might have the old model trigger throttle, the wide plastic one.

straighter handlebars (stock bars hit you in the dingdong at full lock)

Bad stock bars:

Good aftermarket bars:

Mine has the throttle on the front of the handlebar, so it's a finger? It's different than the one on my bro's 650sx, which was more like a thumb "paddle". Or maybe someone rotated the thumb throttle around to the front, not sure. It also has the stock handlebar, which I agree is no good at all. I like wide bars, same as on a motorcycle. Definitely going to look into the spring as well.

AnimalChin posted:

And if you still have the dashboard cover flap installed, you'll need about a dozen of those little 0-ring grommets that keep the flap stuck into the hood release lever.

They fit in that hole on the right side of the pictue and wear out all the time.

Ditch the choke and replace it for a primer. Install a high power bilge pump for all the submarines you'll be doing.

Find an old copy of "JetDream" on VHS and relive my glory days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeEO0wf8k1w

Funny you mention that flap. My new mat kit has a dashboard pad that goes on the hull behind the flap, but the way the piece is cut I would have to remove that flap (permanently), or cut the foam piece to make it fit. The flap is riveted to the hull. Also, the tab on the flap doesn't line up with any holes, not even the hood latch. Am I missing something? Is it common to remove that flap? I'd rather not do anything that cannot be reversed.

The other issue I'm having with the mat kit is it's a Hydro Turf and because of the infinite wisdom of their marketing team they decided to put logos on the side pads which are oval cutouts. This wouldn't bother me but those cutouts are near the top of the side rails when the pad is installed, so when I bend the pad over the rail, the seam from the cutout makes it so that the pad doesn't bend around the rail very well, if that makes any sense. I am only in the test fitting stage and haven't used any adhesive yet.

Another thing I need to do is check the charging system. Can this be done with the ski out of the water, assuming I don't let it run for more than 15 seconds?

Primer kit, flame arrestor, and maybe a ride plate are also on the list but I'd like to get her baselined first. Thanks for all the information!

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Gorson posted:

Thanks! I'm loving working on this machine, I've had a great time restoring it back to a semblance of it's former glory. I've got some experience with riding these back in the day, my brother owned a 650sx with some aftermarket stuff on it. It amazes me that stand ups don't get the popularity they deserve, but then again people just want to get on a sit-down and hammer the throttle and "have fun". I get bored on those within minutes.

Yea those are super lame compared to a proper standup.

quote:

Mine has the throttle on the front of the handlebar, so it's a finger? It's different than the one on my bro's 650sx, which was more like a thumb "paddle". Or maybe someone rotated the thumb throttle around to the front, not sure.

Nah, you've got the older style finger trigger throttle, which is much better than the thumb paddle.

quote:

Funny you mention that flap. My new mat kit has a dashboard pad that goes on the hull behind the flap, but the way the piece is cut I would have to remove that flap (permanently), or cut the foam piece to make it fit. The flap is riveted to the hull. Also, the tab on the flap doesn't line up with any holes, not even the hood latch. Am I missing something? Is it common to remove that flap? I'd rather not do anything that cannot be reversed.

There should be a spike on the flap which punches right into the hole on the hood latch, unless it's been modified. The flap is there so you don't jam your toes/feet up into the controls which is pretty helpful. Even with good mats your feet will get really slippery and jam up into the dash and hurt real bad. I always wore wetsuit booties while riding and it was a big help. Lots of folks just remove the flap altogether, but I liked the look and function so I left mine on.

quote:

The other issue I'm having with the mat kit is it's a Hydro Turf and because of the infinite wisdom of their marketing team they decided to put logos on the side pads which are oval cutouts. This wouldn't bother me but those cutouts are near the top of the side rails when the pad is installed, so when I bend the pad over the rail, the seam from the cutout makes it so that the pad doesn't bend around the rail very well, if that makes any sense. I am only in the test fitting stage and haven't used any adhesive yet.

I would think that the adhesive should do a good job of holding it down.

quote:

Another thing I need to do is check the charging system. Can this be done with the ski out of the water, assuming I don't let it run for more than 15 seconds?

You should be able to run the motor indefinitely (?) with a flush kit. You hook up a regular old garden hose and the flush kit will run water through everything as if the jetski were in a lake. Flush kits were originally designed to flush salt water out of the JetSki after a run in the ocean while on dry land.

quote:

Primer kit, flame arrestor, and maybe a ride plate are also on the list but I'd like to get her baselined first. Thanks for all the information!

Ride plate, I forgot to mention ride plate. They make a big difference, be sure to get one.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

New mats are down and hood seal is down. I used DAP "Weldwood" red label adhesive, good stuff. I'm pretty pleased with the results but still a little miffed at Hydro Turf for compromising a product for the sake of advertising. Those stupid logos made those side rails 4x the job it should have been, and are the only part that doesn't look perfect. It's not 100% finished but is seaworthy and since it's a nice day today I'll probably take it down to the water for some initial testing. Definitely need a flush kit; I'm lucky to live in a town with multiple rivers for boating but it would be much easier to test on land. It's very tricky to test components on a vehicle with no neutral!

*edit* The spike on the cockpit flap sits about 1.5 inches below the hole in the hood latch when latched. I'm not sure why this is, I'll take a pic later.

Gorson fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 21, 2015

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Gorson posted:

*edit* The spike on the cockpit flap sits about 1.5 inches below the hole in the hood latch when latched. I'm not sure why this is, I'll take a pic later.

That's ... weird.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

AnimalChin posted:

That's ... weird.

Either the strap is not the correct one for this ski or it's been modified.

I picked up a replacement on eBay. I've also got a kill switch and steering cable on the way, the current one is binding.

Gorson fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 26, 2015

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone recommend me some basic resources on sail boat ownership? I've been sailing for about a year now (dingy and keel), a lot of time out on the water this year racing on a 30 ft Frers twice a week. I'm taking a keelboat refresher course in July on a J22 the size of boat I am hoping to buy next year. I've been looking on Craigslist at boats for sale and it seems like you can get a decent sized boat for $5000 - $10000 which seems like a steal to me. But I'm curious what to look out for and what the hidden costs of ownership are. Last thing I wanna do is buy a boat and go broke maintaining and repairing it cause I didn't know what to look for.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Popete posted:

Last thing I wanna do is buy a boat and go broke maintaining and repairing it cause I didn't know what to look for.

It's a boat, that's what they are for, a black hole for you to shovel money into. Bonus (poor) points if you get a wooden sailboat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

Neslepaks posted:

And somehow also found time to install a raw water strainer (bottom left). I had to put it on the "wrong" side of the engine, so the hoses are long as poo poo, but I don't think that should be a problem. Just extra peace of mind that the heat exchanger doesn't clog up with mussels and jellyfish over time.

:whatup: snekke buddy what engine do you have in your boat