Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
This game runs bad because UE4 is not nearly as nice and well-optimized of an engine as UE3 was. This is the second PC UE4 launch this year off the top of my head to just run like total rear end for most people, even with relatively beefy rigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I'm in and on mumble. No mic, though.

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

Updated cave map including underwater caves: http://i.imgur.com/tsKWq8M.jpg

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!
Need more help building goon tower 2.0 at goon base... almost as tall as the mountains around the valley.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
Does transfering your characters from server to server still delete them on the previous? I saw in the patch notes this was fixed but I havent heard doing it. Hell, I dont know how you actually transfer to another server to begin with.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
Moving to another server is pointless because a) less pubbies and b) being at the mercy of other admins, goons or not. The people wanting to move server are the really spergy ones being a bit too serious about who borrows their mounts or loots their bodies while they are logged out or whatever.

I've been robbed of far more than i've borrowed (and returned) but its just part of the game and so long as it isnt a centrally important and expensive piece of kit (like saddled pterosaurs), then borrow and return it. Also, theres no loving excuse for not being on the mumble. Lots of stuff is borrowed by goons not using mumble, which makes it seem like its stolen/been goondrowned.

Basically use it if you can replace it and leave it the gently caress alone if you think it might've taken other goons hours to get. Just murder and kick any newly joined goon that loots someones full chitin armor and drowns a pterosaur into the sea.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
How do you go about taming a flying mount anyway? Seems like it would be quite difficult. Tranq darts or arrows or something?

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
This game is a magical adventure, I'd recommend it to anyone with a solid PC, does good enough on my GTX 760 (turn sky off, that poo poo is broken as hell). Scaled the large mountain in the middle of the map last night, here's looking south:

Me and a buddy went wandering after the base we had with a few people was raped and pillaged. Did some late-night vandalizing

Eventually stumbled upon some kind walled-in paradise valley, and talked this girl into letting us in to log off in relative safety

I think this is the area goons took on server #40?

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

sushibandit posted:

The base on the other side of metal mountain is not a problem - or a base - anymore. Goons roll poo poo when they get off their asses.

Second paragraph answered your crystal question. For metal you need a metal pick and to hit rocks high up on mountains. As far as "control" goes, explosives exist in the game, and if a clan is completely dedicated to locking down a cave with multiple rows of metal walls/doors then they aren't going to have poo poo for power projection anywhere else. If we lock down both exits of the valley such a cave is located in, that spells doom for the clan in question. TL;DR not a huge problem because there are many caves and it's hard to lock one down longterm.

The caves contain some of the artifacts required to summon the "final boss" monsters.

Thanks for the info. This of course opens up more questions.

On the metal thing, I take it a metal pick require metal to make? So is it a catch-22 or can you obtain it other ways? Also the rocks in the mountains, do they look different or is it like other rocks?

How do you explore underwater caves? Turtle or meg? Do you guys up your oxygen levels?

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
Blue drops can have metal tools on them.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

There still seem to be plenty of players making straw huts close to where they spawned and trusting this will keep them and their storage boxes safe. Sadly, anyone can break down a straw wall with a basic pickaxe.

Wandering down the beach and stumbling across a hut which hasn't already been robbed is one of my favourite things.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
The part about that though is anyone who thinks thatch is an effective deterrent doesn't have anything worth taking. Pure wanton destruction is entertaining for a while, but eventually the time required to hack in and get a million stacks of fiber, wood and stone is just not worth it.

It's both more fun *and* effective to grab a fellow goon or two and go after the nascent tribes - the ones with wood walls, maybe a pet or two outside. At least with those you can usually snag some bows/arrows, narcotics, or even some metal. Of course at this point on server 40 I think we've basically cleared out everyone in the entire northeast quadrant, so it's a little harder to do at this point.

Has anyone managed to successfully download their character off an official server at an obelisk? I tried today (twice) and crashed out of the game (also twice, and it cost me my sabertooth in the bargain). For anyone who has, can you keep playing the original guy in the official server? I'd like to do some peaceful building solo but I *really* don't want to spend the time powerleveling again.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
I'm not necessarily arguing that we ought to switch over to the goon-hosted server, but playing on it is definitely a huge change of pace. Without lag in combat, most dinosaurs will absolutely wreck you. The lag makes things really, really easy, and once it gets sorted out, I think things will play very differently.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

LORD OF BUTT posted:

This game runs bad because UE4 is not nearly as nice and well-optimized of an engine as UE3 was. This is the second PC UE4 launch this year off the top of my head to just run like total rear end for most people, even with relatively beefy rigs.

tbh Hatred only runs like rear end because of three reasons:
1) defaults to Ultra settings, one of which is particles / building destruction, which means there is a LOT of stuff on the ground if you blow buildings up
2) the entire map is always loaded in memory
3) nothing despawns. ragdolls, rubble, guns... nothing

Once you deal with #1 then unless you're running a piece of garbage from half a decade ago you're set and the game runs fine.

idk if you're talking about another UE4 game though.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Is the ue4 engine off the shelf ready for the rift? Reportedly, the was supposed to support the rift at AE launch. I don't have a rift to confirm.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

lilspooky posted:

Thanks for the info. This of course opens up more questions.

On the metal thing, I take it a metal pick require metal to make? So is it a catch-22 or can you obtain it other ways? Also the rocks in the mountains, do they look different or is it like other rocks?

How do you explore underwater caves? Turtle or meg? Do you guys up your oxygen levels?

You don't actually need a metal pick to mine metal, a stone one works to get enough for a metal one. Also, you can apparently find metal rocks in and around rivers, or at least in the river at the base of the mountain near goon base. They're smaller, and sort of a metallic black color. If you get flint from a rock, it's not a metal rock.

Also, I heard tell that there's apparently good poo poo on the reefs in the ocean as well? Has anyone tried braving the seas yet? I'd be down to try taming one of the suchos again now that I know how.

And do cave systems only have one entrance each?

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

JuffoWup posted:

Is the ue4 engine off the shelf ready for the rift? Reportedly, the was supposed to support the rift at AE launch. I don't have a rift to confirm.

I don't think it does yet. Not that it matters though -- with the current framerate you would throw up everywhere.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Apparently big performance patch coming tonight. Current patch added a lot more metal to the mountains.

Good times ahead!

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
I managed to kill someone by taking them off their para mount and dropping them from the sky with my lizard bird. Then I promptly lost the bird from an angry bronto and a lagged out player who could see and hit us but we couldn't see him. Either way. Awesome night.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So I've picked up bits and pieces on how to best tame dinosaurs and it seems that narcotics is best for carnivores, because they lose effectiveness when you feed them berries, and vice versa with herbivores. Herbivores have berry preferences but I dunno if they make a huge difference and prime meat is best for carni's but it only lasts 2 minutes so its kinda useless.

Any tips for a 3man outfit? Me and some friends are playing on EU 95 and have managed to set up 3 small outposts, our main base near the green obelisk is rather deserted because there doesn't seem to be a lot of people around. I think a lot of that has to do with the lack of iron near there because there's no metal sources so people can't easily break into wooden structures. When we've gone more inland there's been a lot more people who have all been hostile.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
tip: only one of you should learn the mortar and pestle engram, but all of you should learn sparkpowder

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Ya I hope this game does a good job of balancing out higher level resources. Reign of Kings kinda bombed on this by having all the stone and iron be located in the northern part of the island and at the exact same spots making it rather boring plus overly concentrating people there. It's always more fun when people are able to spread out and build in various niches.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

THE PENETRATOR posted:

tip: only one of you should learn the mortar and pestle engram, but all of you should learn sparkpowder

How many levels should I look at farming with spark powder? I'm 26 right now.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
It's the absolute easiest thing to craft, and I think all crafts give the same amount of xp, so As many levels as you want to have, my man.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

RIP server. Loaded in after the patch and got instant mauled by carnos in full flak armor.
Didnt want that armor anyway.

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.

TwatHammer posted:

RIP server. Loaded in after the patch and got instant mauled by carnos in full flak armor.

Flak armor??!
This is what i get for sleeping and going to work.

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

TwatHammer posted:

The original image this gave me of carnosaurs wearing full flak armor scared the poo poo out of me.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

minchar posted:

The original image this gave me of carnosaurs wearing full flak armor scared the poo poo out of me.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

This armor better drop off the Broodmother.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

How do I join the goon server? I don't see 40 in the list.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Elderbean posted:

How do I join the goon server? I don't see 40 in the list.
Open server list from steam browser, or join through friends/ark steam group http://steamcommunity.com/groups/arkgoons

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Help me theory craft as to what happened to me beloved penetrator (trike). I setup a base on a cliff side and walled it off. In theory no should be able to get in, but if you try really hard I managed to sneak in there without using the door. Didn't have time to fix it so I set the Trike to "Murder poo poo". I return, Trike is gone. No body, and oddly enough nothing was looted. Dinos can't spawn due to foundation drops around the area. Is it possible it ran off the cliff? I normally have massive issues with getting the fucker up a steep hill. Any idea what happened to him? Although I'm sure he died doing what he loved: deeply excavating the anuses of my enemies with his horn.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Game is hard as gently caress now. Dinosaurs went into overdrive. "The game operates like it should"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

THE PENETRATOR posted:

tbh Hatred only runs like rear end because of three reasons:
1) defaults to Ultra settings, one of which is particles / building destruction, which means there is a LOT of stuff on the ground if you blow buildings up
2) the entire map is always loaded in memory
3) nothing despawns. ragdolls, rubble, guns... nothing

Once you deal with #1 then unless you're running a piece of garbage from half a decade ago you're set and the game runs fine.

idk if you're talking about another UE4 game though.

I was talking about Mortal Kombat X. I can max Shadow of Mordor and yet I get barely playable FPS on low everything with MKX. Also, I thought Hatred was on Unity.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Negative, Hatred is UE4.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Strotski posted:

Open server list from steam browser, or join through friends/ark steam group http://steamcommunity.com/groups/arkgoons

And if we couldn't find server 40 from the server list from steam browser and noone seemed to be online in the steam group?

For me it went officialserver 300-something, os 4, os 5.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Ark : Survival Evolved - Not ready to Poop yet.

Game is brilliant, I just wish my RL friends had not decided to settle on some private server but on a public server with actual threatening enemies to test our base's defence against.

Playing with a Nvidia 770 with SSD and plenty of RAM. Game runs really well with just an occasional stutter.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
News from the Dev Twitter:

"Mod Tools incoming tonight! Also you can look forward to the ARK-Wide Jurassic Events starting Tuesday! #playARK"

Is this the time for goons to take over the events?

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013
Going to pick this game up later today because my steam library needs another survival game that I'll play for 2 hours and never touch again.

People seem to be saying really good things tho, maybe this'll be one that stays installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah I don't see the point of this game on a private server. Where's the fun without anyone to compete with/kill.