Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bobulus posted:

Thinking of trying to get a friend hooked on the Venture Bros tonight. I've got limited time to hook them, so I want to pick a handful of early episode. Here's what I'm thinking:

- Actual episode of Johnny Quest for background
- Original pilot
- Park of Gary's recap from the start of season 4? Everything before the death of Hank and Dean?
- Dia de Los Dangerous!
- Eeney Meeney Miney Magic
- Ghosts of the Sargasso
- Return to Spider-Skull Island
- Powerless in the Face of Death

I'm conflicted. The original pilot and then the start of Dia de Los has a lot of really juvenile humor that might turn them off, but I feel like you can't skip over the introduction of the Monarch. I'd like to get to the clone revelation, just because it's a good hook. and Ghosts of the Sargasso is great. Maybe I should skip the original pilot? I feel like Dia is a bad intro to the series if you've never experienced Johnny Quest.

Thougths? Changes?

You could probably just start with Ghosts of the Sargasso. It's a pretty well-insulated episode that introduces you to the characters and world. If you don't get a laugh at "Ghost Pirate rules" you can save the rest of your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I really think the corruption of Rusty with the Joy Can is worth showing. And I need to pad out at least a little before the clone reveal so they have time to get attached to Hank and Dean. Plus, having a 'normal' teen in the form of Triana serves to highlight that the brothers are weird in-universe as well as to us.

New list:

- Half a Johnny Quest
- Ghosts of the Sargasso
- Tag Sale

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Bobulus posted:

Thinking of trying to get a friend hooked on the Venture Bros tonight. I've got limited time to hook them, so I want to pick a handful of early episode. Here's what I'm thinking:

- Actual episode of Johnny Quest for background
- Original pilot
- Park of Gary's recap from the start of season 4? Everything before the death of Hank and Dean?
- Dia de Los Dangerous!
- Ghosts of the Sargasso

I'm conflicted. The original pilot and then the start of Dia de Los has a lot of really juvenile humor that might turn them off, but I feel like you can't skip over the introduction of the Monarch. I'd like to get to the clone revelation, just because it's a good hook. and Ghosts of the Sargasso is great. Maybe I should skip the original pilot? I feel like Dia is a bad intro to the series if you've never experienced Johnny Quest.

Thougths? Changes?

There's no need to have an episode of Johnny Quest. The show started as a parody, but it grew out of it fairly quickly, and if he does get hooked, then it won't be because of Johnny Quest. The pilot, as has been mentioned, is pretty rough, so there's no need to toss it out there.

Definitely stick Tag Sale--You're It in there somewhere. The others are good choices. And if you have time, toss The Lepidopterists in, too. That episode really drives home a lot of the humor and style that makes VB so good.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I maintain that tag sale and ghosts of the sargasso are the best introduction.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've never seen Johnny Quest, I've only heard of it and I like Venture Brothers just fine. There are so many obscure references in this show, no one will be able to catch all of them. Especially not in a first viewing.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

The first episode I was introduced with was Escape to the House of Mummies Pt 2.

(do not use that episode as I didn't actually watch Venture until about 2 years later)

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Tag Sale, You're It is the perfect introductory episode. Do not waste it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Sash! posted:

Tag Sale is the definitive episode of the entire series

This and take 10 seconds to explain Johnny Quest instead of showing it.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
I just introduce them to the first episode (not the pilot). Got 3 people hooked as a result. I just let them know it keeps getting better and better, and people stick it out. However, Tag Sale works.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If you have to show someone anything related to Johnny Quest, have them watch the first episode of Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law, immediately followed by the entirety of the rest of Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Babe Magnet posted:

If you have to show someone anything related to Johnny Quest, have them watch the first episode of Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law, immediately followed by the entirety of the rest of Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law

I'm gonna raise the warning system from "Blackwatch Plaid" to the cover of Rush's seminal album "Moving Pictures."

Also, "attempting to hit a white spheroid with a cudgel" became my go-to description of bases-ball after the Johnny Quest Birdman episode.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

kefkafloyd posted:

Tag Sale, You're It is the perfect introductory episode. Do not waste it.

Yeah, it sets the early mood for every single character. About the only thing it doesn't cover is 'why's that chick's voice so loving deep?'

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Bobulus posted:

I really think the corruption of Rusty with the Joy Can is worth showing. And I need to pad out at least a little before the clone reveal so they have time to get attached to Hank and Dean. Plus, having a 'normal' teen in the form of Triana serves to highlight that the brothers are weird in-universe as well as to us.

New list:

- Half a Johnny Quest
- Ghosts of the Sargasso
- Tag Sale

If you want them to be interested in the show you've got to keep the sell short and sweet. You don't want to bore them with a bunch of Johnny Quest homework, shoestring pilot episodes, youtube summaries, or world building stuff. Tag Sale is that episode, follow it up with Ghosts of the Sargasso if they want more. If they still want more then just start watching the series from Dia de los Dangerous.

OtherworldlyInvader fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 7, 2015

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, it sets the early mood for every single character. About the only thing it doesn't cover is 'why's that chick's voice so loving deep?'

Not like any other entry point covers that any better.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh yea he's totally straight, I saw it on the VH1
BUT HE'S IN DEPECHE MODE!!!!

Yes, watch Tag Sale, you're It first. The first episodes I saw was the Xmas one and the finale of season 1.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ghosts of Sargasso was my first and got me hooked instantly. It's the best to start, imo.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It covers that, slightly -- Billy and Pete White discuss Dr. Girlfriend and talk about her "baboon uterus"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ithaqua posted:

It covers that, slightly -- Billy and Pete White discuss Dr. Girlfriend and talk about her "baboon uterus"

People still quote that as proof she is transgendered. Because, you know, the episode that straight up says she smokes like crazy and that's why she has that voice.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

The first I ever saw of venture bros was the very end of the s1 finale right as the boys blow up. I had set my vcr to record the following show and it started right there. I was very confused about what the show was about until some friends in college showed it to me.

Voting for tag sale followed by the season 1 finale and "Powerless in the Face of Death" for backstory then probably "20 Years to Midnight" because that is my favorite episode

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Bobulus posted:

New list:

- Half a Johnny Quest
- Ghosts of the Sargasso
- Tag Sale

Don't you dare skip "Are You There God? It's Me Dean."

Also yeah forget about Johnny Quest.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why even show a Johnny Quest episode? The only connection to it is Action Johnny who was a wink wink nudge nudge nod to Johnny Quest that only got fleshed out when it was found out they had the rights to make him actually be Johnny Quest.

Also, when was Venture Brothers removed from Netflix?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Trip report: I did the list above and they came away having a lot more fun with the series than they were expecting, so mission accomplished, I guess.

I mainly did the half-episode of Johnny Quest to compare and contrast with VB. Plus, the episode had to do with the Sargasso Sea, so it led into Ghosts of the Sargasso well.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Congrats I guess. I gotta say coming in here at the tail end of the discussion, it seems really sketchy to read a bunch of people scheming to manipulate somebody into liking a TV show.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

whats everybody's favorite Hank quote? mine's a two-way tie between "That gay albino's hitting on your not-girlfriend", and everything he's ever said.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Cojawfee posted:

Also, when was Venture Brothers removed from Netflix?

Hulu got the rights to a bunch of Cartoon Network and Adult Swim stuff at the beginning of May. Venture Brothers has everything up there except for the January special I believe.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

notZaar posted:

Congrats I guess. I gotta say coming in here at the tail end of the discussion, it seems really sketchy to read a bunch of people scheming to manipulate somebody into liking a TV show.

It's not sketchy if it's "hey, this is one of my favorite shows and I want to share it with people I like effectively." It'd be sketchy if he immediately tried to sell them merch or take them to Ventch Con 2015.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

notZaar posted:

How the gently caress is it sketchy? He asks which episodes are the best to show off.

This isn't some foreign concept. People in this forum have done this before were they ask what episodes of a TV series would be great to show off.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 8, 2015

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
You know, people are now more likely to binge watch something than they used to be. Mainly, this is because not too long ago, you couldn't binge watch anything unless there as a marathon on some basic cable channel, but seriously, let's look at this from a different perspective.

I've asked myself this a bunch of times, and each time the results are a little different, but... well, what 10 full episodes of Venture Bros. would you put on a DVD to give to a friend if you knew that the friend in question 1) had never seen a full episode or had only kind-of watched a couple of episodes several years ago, and 2) would take your word for it and give you 5 hours of his or her time to check out 10 episodes of Venture Bros.

You know this person would watch all 10 episodes, and you're aiming to make him or her a huge fan. What episodes do you put on that disc?

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

Tatsuta Age posted:

whats everybody's favorite Hank quote? mine's a two-way tie between "That gay albino's hitting on your not-girlfriend", and everything he's ever said.

"I found even more treasure in there! A mysterious card that says 'ancient gear fist' and a coin! I'll bet it's Indian money! And look, a magic nurse shoe!"

If I didn't already have a SA account, this post would have probably been made by Magic Nurse Shoe.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Tatsuta Age posted:

We build a gun made out of pennies!

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

DNA Cowboys posted:

"I found even more treasure in there! A mysterious card that says 'ancient gear fist' and a coin! I'll bet it's Indian money! And look, a magic nurse shoe!"

If I didn't already have a SA account, this post would have probably been made by Magic Nurse Shoe.

To that effect, my steam account is Poisonous Magic Pie.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I can't pick just one Hank line, but otherwise i think my fave line was Triana's "Did my grandpa teach you how to crap?!"

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

QwertySanchez posted:

I can't pick just one Hank line, but otherwise i think my fave line was Triana's "Did my grandpa teach you how to crap?!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVOTWhQYUe4
H : My tongue keeps getting caught in the mouth slit.
D: Well don't stick your tongue in the slit.
H: I can't help it. Its maddening!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

QwertySanchez posted:

Every time I watch the sequence that ends with my favorite line, "I can't believe it's hard to kill these two," I laugh uncontrollably.

Edit: Here's the scene.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 8, 2015

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Do you dab? I dab.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Wow! Bet if you put that under your pillow, the Tooth Fairy will give you, like, a grand!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

tarlibone posted:

Every time I watch the sequence that ends with my favorite line, "I can't believe it's hard to kill these two," I laugh uncontrollably.

Edit: Here's the scene.

That was my first episode and I fell in love with the series right away.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

DoctorWhat posted:

Do you dab? I dab.

Quit saying dab.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I introduced my dad with Ghosts of the Sargasso. He ended up watching it all and actually caught the most recent season finale before I did and spoiled it for me :saddowns:.

He does do that dad thing where he can't remember anyone's name. But I know who The Funky Head with the Pink Shirt Guy are so it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pick posted:

I introduced my dad with Ghosts of the Sargasso. He ended up watching it all and actually caught the most recent season finale before I did and spoiled it for me :saddowns:.

He does do that dad thing where he can't remember anyone's name. But I know who The Funky Head with the Pink Shirt Guy are so it's fine.

What did he do when he got to the episodes where they start changing up their clothes?