Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
It is time to pray to the Almighty, that the heathen followers of the old ways be forcibly converted to our glorious new thread and thus mend the great schism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Saith posted:

It is time to pray to the Almighty, that the heathen followers of the old ways be forcibly converted to our glorious new thread and thus mend the great schism.

Deus vult.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Oh hey, new thread.

This might be a dumb question but is there any easy way to get heresies to port over to EU4? I've been playing a Shattered World game where Persia has gone fully Yazidi and the rest of the muslim world is Zikri, but they both just get ported over as boring ol' Sunni when I try. The most I've been able to glean from googling is that I might need Sons of Abraham to make it work but I wanted to ask before I buy it.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Maduo posted:

Oh hey, new thread.

This might be a dumb question but is there any easy way to get heresies to port over to EU4? I've been playing a Shattered World game where Persia has gone fully Yazidi and the rest of the muslim world is Zikri, but they both just get ported over as boring ol' Sunni when I try. The most I've been able to glean from googling is that I might need Sons of Abraham to make it work but I wanted to ask before I buy it.

Own Sons of Abraham or mod the converter
Note though that most of the heresies don't get any interesting. I don't think I've added unique bonuses to Yazidi or Zikri but I don't remember for sure. I mostly did unique bonuses for the Christian religions.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jun 7, 2015

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Groogy posted:

Own Sons of Abraham or mod the converter
Note though that most of the heresies don't get any interesting. I don't think I've added unique bonuses to Yazidi or Zikri but I don't remember for sure. I mostly did unique bonuses for the Christian religions.

Hey Groogy, are you going to take another shot at converting development levels now that EUIV has a new development system?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Autonomous Monster posted:

Hey Groogy, are you going to take another shot at converting development levels now that EUIV has a new development system?

Nah the core problem still remains and that is the flatness of CK2 at the end game. EU4 was never the problem but the problem was that no matter what I did the provinces would end up with way too high/low values and very very flat.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Anybody else hate it when you are on your normal tour raiding the rich Byzantine coastline, and they once again have a massive civil war with several dozen armies swarming all over the place? How is a viking supposed to make a living under these conditions?!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Groogy posted:

Nah the core problem still remains and that is the flatness of CK2 at the end game. EU4 was never the problem but the problem was that no matter what I did the provinces would end up with way too high/low values and very very flat.

So what you're saying is, building/internal development DLC next? :getin:

Torrannor posted:

Anybody else hate it when you are on your normal tour raiding the rich Byzantine coastline, and they once again have a massive civil war with several dozen armies swarming all over the place? How is a viking supposed to make a living under these conditions?!

Go to Italy instead?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Get an Orthodox courtier, conquer Constantinople, give it to the Orthodox courtier, raid the poo poo out of him while he's defenceless.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm having a hell of time taking Caithness. I have a perfectly valid claim but the first time, a bunch of dukes tried to take the Isle of Man from me so I had to abandon it, second time the guy with the claim died, so casus belli no longer valid and now both me and the King of Scotland are on the same side 'fighting' Norwegian revolt so I can't wage war.

e: I finally understand the find claimant > invite claimant to court > land claimant > press their claim way of getting more lands. Obviously this can deplete your demense, so how low are you willing to go?

e2: A country undergoing a big revolt should be a good time to press a strong claim for myself, right? If it's a strong claim I shouldn't get 'casus belli no longer valid' at any point. I can take both the King and the rebels on.

I'm really tempted to start another Irish game after I reach 1453 on this save just to see how much better I do. I'm still getting moments of realization that I've been doing things horribly inefficiently in the 1300s. Quite recently I was landing any old fool instead of looking for people with claims I could press and just raising all my levies at the drop of a hat instead of just raising what I need and abusing the levies of vassals who love me.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 7, 2015

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The King of Bulgaria took me to war over some pissant little border county. He had 9000 men, I had around 4000 including vassals, so I grabbed some mercs and wandered over in his direction.
Which is when those loving Vikings decided that they were bored of raiding the Meditteranean and beelined towards my provinces.

And then the Bulgarians retreated into their territory and then some peasant scum decided to revolt...

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

It never rains, but it pours on CK2. Waiting until rulers are otherwise engaged is exactly what I do but I still don't like it happening to me.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I haven't played this game in a couple of months and decided I wanted to get back in. Only DLC I'm missing at the moment is Charlemagne and the Way of Life (?) DLC.

I'm trying to find a good starting spot. Something other than Ireland. I started as Leon, but I have trouble with the Muslims. Especially since I was fighting my brother for his kingdoms while he was defending against a Muslim invasion. By the time I had won the war, I only ended up with a few counties because he lost everything else already... And it took a long long time.

So, do any of you have suggestions?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hungary/Magyar 867. Starts tribal with a bunch of event troops, so you can toy around with tribal mechanics. It's also super easy to become feudal because you just win your invasion against Bulgaria and use the form Hungary decision in the intrigue menu. Nobody can gently caress with you there and it's something different.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Hungary/Magyar 867. Starts tribal with a bunch of event troops, so you can toy around with tribal mechanics. It's also super easy to become feudal because you just win your invasion against Bulgaria and use the form Hungary decision in the intrigue menu. Nobody can gently caress with you there and it's something different.

I doesn't really teach you anything. It'd be like loading up an end game save of another game with all the powers unlocked already and saying "here, learn from this". Its fun, but not useful.

Edit: thought you were talking to the guy that wanted to learn the game.

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 8, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I doesn't really teach you anything. It'd be like loading up an end game save of another game with all the powers unlocked already and saying "here, learn from this". Its fun, but not useful.

1066 Catholics or Muslims are the best way to learn the game.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

My suggestion for a newbie start is 1066 Richard Guiscard in apuila, southern Italy.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Larry Parrish posted:

1066 Catholics or Muslims are the best way to learn the game.

I really should try a Muslim game. Started one a while ago, but I got hosed over by crusades and everyhting. The decadence mechanic also wasn't that clear at the time.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

beedeebee posted:

I really should try a Muslim game. Started one a while ago, but I got hosed over by crusades and everyhting. The decadence mechanic also wasn't that clear at the time.

I had a lot of fun playing the Abbasid caliph in the 1066 start and attempting the achievement. It's a little difficult, but think about trying it when you get the experience.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Sure it does. For one thing it teaches you that tengri is like the most boring religion ever. :v:

Unless you get really unlucky you can easily take most of bulgaria before running out of event troops. You can probably even take the rest of de jure hungary, which is good to do because your next wave of event troops depends on how much of de jure hungary you control when you form hungary. You'll probably go over your demesne limit, and maybe over your vassal limit as well, so you figure out how to fix that and then live with the vassals you chose.

At this point you really need to think about what is going to happen when you die, especially if you're still playing the old man you started with. You either have or are close to having a second king level title by now, and even if you don't form the title it will be formed and handed out to one of your heirs when you die. It's worthwhile to grab a second kingdom and form the empire of carpathia, at which point you are fairly safe from everything going completely to poo poo when you die.

Now what? You can start raiding, but to get to the best spots you'll need boats and you have hardly any coastal provinces. You can try to expand, going east takes you to huge poor provinces that take forever to walk across. Going west takes you to smaller wealthier provinces that are controlled by the catholic hordes. South is the byzantines. North is a variety of disorganized pagans in territory that has a lot of potential, but will take you closer to the norse who will raid your poo poo. Maybe you want to change religion. Maybe you want to reform a pagan religion. Maybe you try forming a merchant republic cash cow in one of your few coastal cities.

Once you from hungary/carpathia you have a lot of options. A lot of opportunities and no clear best course of action. That's a great learning opportunity.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Nah that's a really bad learning experience.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's like saying the best HoI start is Danzig. But there's opportunity to expand anywhere!

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
The seduction mechanics in this game are messed up, IMO. "Seduction focus" characters always end up with ten million bastards and their wives finding out and hating them.

The other day I had finally cheesed ultimogeniture (bed unmarried genius courtiers, then marry a widow too old to bear children) enough to get myself a great heir (legitimized an attractive genius bastard, gave him a grey eminence education). I had promised to land him, so I figured I'd give him one of the less developed counties in my demesne. I even set him up with a great genius wife from a useful ally. My character was old (70, I think), so I knew soon I'd get to rule glorious Éire as my excellent bastard.

I flashed over to my character before the reaper came. Huh, what's this malus lurking in the corner? Adulterer? Huh. That's odd, but I guess it's not insurmountable––adulterer penalties go away after ten years or so. Incestuous adulterer?!?!? My God, kid, what the gently caress have you been up to? Oh, I see. Seduction focus, four legitimized bastards, something like a -600 opinion from the wife. Well, poo poo. Wait a sec, who's your spymaster? You made your genius wife who hates you your spymaster? Oh, great, she's with child now! What do you think are the odds it's yours, idiot?

What was supposed to be a nice, easy few decades of expanding, developing my demesne, and securing a solid heir for the next generation have quickly devolved into a frantic race to kill my heir's wife before she can kill or cuckold him.

e: It's also struck me as a bit odd how little crown authority it requires to switch to ultimogeniture and how much it requires to get primogeniture, unless of course you switch to primo as a duke (no CA requirement). I guess it makes sense from a game design perspective; primo enables you a little more certainty and stability, whereas ultimo leaves the very real risk that your wife will pop out a terrible heir at the last minute and you'll just have to make do through sixteen years of regency. Otherwise it's strange.

Aschlafly fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 8, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Aschlafly posted:

The seduction mechanics in this game are messed up, IMO. "Seduction focus" characters always end up with ten million bastards and their wives finding out and hating them.

The other day I had finally cheesed ultimogeniture (bed unmarried genius courtiers, then marry a widow too old to bear children) enough to get myself a great heir (legitimized an attractive genius bastard, gave him a grey eminence education). I had promised to land him, so I figured I'd give him one of the less developed counties in my demesne. I even set him up with a great genius wife from a useful ally. My character was old (70, I think), so I knew soon I'd get to rule glorious Éire as my excellent bastard.

I flashed over to my character before the reaper came. Huh, what's this malus lurking in the corner? Adulterer? Huh. That's odd, but I guess it's not insurmountable––adulterer penalties go away after ten years or so. Incestuous adulterer?!?!? My God, kid, what the gently caress have you been up to? Oh, I see. Seduction focus, four legitimized bastards, something like a -600 opinion from the wife. Well, poo poo. Wait a sec, who's your spymaster? You made your genius wife who hates you your spymaster? Oh, great, she's with child now! What do you think are the odds it's yours, idiot?

What was supposed to be a nice, easy few decades of expanding, developing my demesne, and securing a solid heir for the next generation have quickly devolved into a frantic race to kill my heir's wife before she can kill or cuckold him.

e: It's also struck me as a bit odd how little crown authority it requires to switch to ultimogeniture and how much it requires to get primogeniture, unless of course you switch to primo as a duke (no CA requirement). I guess it makes sense from a game design perspective; primo enables you a little more certainty and stability, whereas ultimo leaves the very real risk that your wife will pop out a terrible heir at the last minute and you'll just have to make do through sixteen years of regency. Otherwise it's strange.

The lessons is, as always, to never land your heir unless absolutely necessary.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
Silly me thought he might pick a useful focus and get to work shoring up one of his weaker stats. Never again.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Is there any way to mess with CK2 export saves so I actually get proper ideas instead of whatever the converter felt like giving me? Or were ideas for Norse/Scandinavian cultures just rolled into something else?

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
Hacking a living as a Seljuk vassal is tough. I'm surrounded by The Fatimids, Jerusalem, and the Byzantines. All states with access to obscenely overpowered vassal mercenaries. Even though i'm the Sunni Caliph, calling a Jihad is pointless since my lord made friends with a Abyssinian Miaphysite count and now everyone from Armenia to Afghanistan is Christian.

Apparently, being Christian doesn't make the Seljuks lose their great CB either. However, my heir will inherit claims on most of these kingdoms. Maybe I can scratch something out once I accumulate a ton of money

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Pimpmust posted:

There's a big rear end Warhammer overhaul mod too, although so far I've only managed to get my rear end handed to me.

We got your regular northern savages

Your green savages

(half the time I just scroll through courtiers looking for funny names)

Other guys

Many elves

(still think adding them was a mistake)

Not pictured: skeleton dudes, lizard dudes, arabian dudes, pirates, etc

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 17, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Shadeoses posted:

We got your regular northern savages

Your green savages

(half the time I just scroll through courtiers looking for funny names)

Other guys

Many elves

(still think adding them was a mistake)

Not pictured: skeleton dudes, lizard dudes, arabian dudes, pirates, etc

What's the name of this mod?

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
had an interesting game so far, my 30 martial 16 health irish germanic count won a 30 year prepared invasion war against the byzantines, at which point I swore fealty to the remnants and was promptly elected emperor. That guy lived to the ripe age of 110, and reformed the norse faith, now my family is greek and the main norse world is the mediterranean. My question is, to reform the roman empire you have to have blah blah provinces and also be orthodox. However I'm aiming for a true, pagan roman empire.

Can I convert to orthodox, reform the empire, and then switch back? Will I lose the fylkirate by doing so? I wouldn't particularly mind losing it, so long as other rulers actually join the great holy wars. I've declared one so far, which I won by myself as no germanic rulers hopped in.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

If I want to play another Catholic, probably Irish game with a 1066 start when I'm done with this save, if there any point at all me getting DLC that isn't Way of Life? Not bothered about Sunset Invasion at the moment.

Also if I have a strong claim on a county in a country undergoing rebellion, is now a good time to press or am I likely to get derailed by ruler changes and the like?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 17, 2018

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Walton Simons posted:

Also if I have a strong claim on a county in a country undergoing rebellion, is now a good time to press or am I likely to get derailed by ruler changes and the like?

I am not a smart man, so take everything I say with a pinch of salt, but, I think there are pro's and cons. Pro is obviously that the defender has to defend against both the rebels and your invading army. Con is that it's possible the rebels win the war before you do, and then your CB is no longer valid.
So I'd say it depends on how big a revlot we're speaking of and how quickly you think it'll end.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bitter Mushroom posted:

had an interesting game so far, my 30 martial 16 health irish germanic count won a 30 year prepared invasion war against the byzantines, at which point I swore fealty to the remnants and was promptly elected emperor. That guy lived to the ripe age of 110, and reformed the norse faith, now my family is greek and the main norse world is the mediterranean. My question is, to reform the roman empire you have to have blah blah provinces and also be orthodox. However I'm aiming for a true, pagan roman empire.

Can I convert to orthodox, reform the empire, and then switch back? Will I lose the fylkirate by doing so? I wouldn't particularly mind losing it, so long as other rulers actually join the great holy wars. I've declared one so far, which I won by myself as no germanic rulers hopped in.

I did a bunch of tests on this because I'm planning on doing this as a pagan republic in an ironman game, although I'm still getting jerked around by the republic merging glitch. Yes and almost certainly yes. I didn't actually check to see if the fylkirate dissolves when someone of an organized religion holds it, but I would bet money that it will. There's ways to do it on ironman, but it's an exploit and really gamey, and there's really no point in dealing with it if you don't have to because it doesn't flow at all. If I was you, I would wait until your current ruler is old enough that you're aloof to him dying, then pause the game, and grant the fylkirate to your heir through the diplomacy menu. Then console your religion to orthodox, console any prestige/piety/gold he'll need to form the Roman Empire (shouldn't be much if any if he's been an emperor and a fylkir for a long time), then form it and kill yourself so your heir inherits. Then you should be good. Just in case you don't know any of the console commands you'll need

"charinfo" will let you see a characters ID number when you hover over their portrait

"religion orthodox" or "religion orthodox <charid>" will change your current characters religion to orthodox. you can also use iconoclast or whatever orthodox heresy. The console can get a bit touchy sometimes.

"piety x" "prestige x" "cash x" where x is the amount of piety/prestige/gold you want to add

"kill <charid>"

Then you should be golden. The Augustus and Born in the Purple traits will continue to work as designed, but you won't have access to the imperial reconquest CB, although you should still have the events pop up when you do restore a Roman provinces borders. The bigger issue is that the Pope has already probably hosed up Rome really bad by filling it with temples, so it's probably useless as a capitol.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Aschlafly posted:

I like Ultimo but it's a ticking time bomb until you get hosed sideways by a long regency. Regencies are designed the way they are in large part specifically to make Ultimo undesirable.

And yeah never ever land your heir.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

beedeebee posted:

I am not a smart man, so take everything I say with a pinch of salt, but, I think there are pro's and cons. Pro is obviously that the defender has to defend against both the rebels and your invading army. Con is that it's possible the rebels win the war before you do, and then your CB is no longer valid.
So I'd say it depends on how big a revlot we're speaking of and how quickly you think it'll end.

Yeah, his score is pretty bad, down at -60% or something like that but the rebels are doing a really bad job of pressing home a victory, it's been hovering there for ages. I could try taking loads of men there and battering both sides so they can't fight each other and giving me a good warscore.

It's a strong fabricated claim so I should be able to go again with no truce in place even if I do get the dreaded inconclusive end.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Gonna be having a multiplayer sesh with some friends and cousins, and I'm trying to mod in a bunch of things.

We're all Welsh, so I've put us all in the game, along with a Welsh empire at the start, just to make us united. This isn't some nationalistic vanity project, mind. I mean, it's a vanity project definitely, but I personally, and a couple of my mates, feel more connected to the game when we're playing in a place we know, hence Wales.

So basically, I was wondering if there are any guides on making a new religion? We've played together in the past, and pretty much all of us think that vikings are fun as hell, so I want to mod in a (totally ahistorical) Druidic religion using the raiding and prepared invasion mechanics. If anyone knows of any tutorials about this, that would be great since I can't for the life of me find any.

(Oh also, a big thank you to DrSunshine for teaching me the basics of modding this game, pretty much 2 years ago today.)

Walton Simons posted:

Yeah, his score is pretty bad, down at -60% or something like that but the rebels are doing a really bad job of pressing home a victory, it's been hovering there for ages. I could try taking loads of men there and battering both sides so they can't fight each other and giving me a good warscore.

It's a strong fabricated claim so I should be able to go again with no truce in place even if I do get the dreaded inconclusive end.
Rebels are hostile to everyone, right? Unless I'm wrong, maybe you could send an army in, crush them, and then declare war while he's weak?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

That's probably the best way of doing it, actually. Will give that a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

evilmiera posted:

Is there any way to mess with CK2 export saves so I actually get proper ideas instead of whatever the converter felt like giving me? Or were ideas for Norse/Scandinavian cultures just rolled into something else?

The converter exports an EU4 mod that can be edited in the same way as any other mod, including editing ideas, tech groups, and other stuff that tends to turn out strangely.

• Locked thread