Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

QuarkJets posted:

my brother works at bethesda and he says that they originally started working on fallout as a grand worldwide experiment to see how many lovely games they could make with the "Fallout" title and still make money

it's like a big joke over there, "haha when you mention a new fallout game these loving nerds try to get out their wallets so fast that they wind up tripping over themselves, actually it looks a lot like one of the goofy bugs in our lovely engine"

for real though I am glad that the trailer has actual color in it, their engine is capable of creating some nice looking stuff so it never made sense that they chose to limit themselves to a spectrum of color between brown and grey

Hey, New Vegas introduced light brown to the mix!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

cthulhoo posted:

you skipped the opening or something because that was 50s as gently caress and set the tone for the rest of the game in many ways imo

but yes it was of course a mix of different ages/styles

Yeah you'd have to not understand historical aesthetic to not see the 50s going on in Fallout 3 or New Vegas, especially with its satire of nuclear optimism. For me the entire joke is the harsh juxtaposition of the posters/ads/products promoting an unattainably starry-eyed ideal (American exceptionalism/family values/order/consumerism) still existing alongside the actual results of that culture (charred corpses/fascism/lawlessness/inhospitable landscapes).

A big point in the Fallout universe is that the pre-cataclysm government portrayed in it was a prolonged extension of the fascist trend in the background of US politics with the Red Scare and HUAC never having ended, combined with the Reaganesque "let's not address our problems and pretend we're back in a mythical late 40s/early 50s" romanticism. The US culture being locked in that romanticized aesthetic/culture in perpetuity was sort of used as a propagandistic tool to keep the public pacified while they got slowly irradiated and ultimately experimented on by private-public partnerships (Vault Experiments, etc.). It's sort of meant to be silly and extreme in how it contrasts the promises of extremist conservatism with the realities. Or at least that's just how I see it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The high points in either of the modern Fallout games were to me exploring the various vaults and seeing how hosed up the situation the people found themselves in was this time. Those owned in FO3 and New Vegas alike. Not all of them owned though :wtc: comic books.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 8, 2015

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
edit- removed comment, turns out they were talking about PS3/360, so don't I look dumb. PS4 without mods is still doable.

After New Vegas I was looking forward to not having loading screens, but I guess we'll still be getting that on
PC.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 8, 2015

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Comstar posted:

I'm full of wonderful news for you today! It's going to be PC only.

PS4 is not PS3,

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I can't imagine playing a Gamebryo Fallout without mods. I loved New Vegas to death and it's one of my favorite games of all time but even then I would probably have had a hard time with it if I didn't use infinite inventory weight mod since day one. I'd rather be a walking junkyard than deal with all the stashing, selling and unloading ugh.

Then some extra mods come on top of that like Nevada Skies and all the insane retexture/remodel/reanimation mods that make the game infinitely easier on the eyes.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jun 8, 2015

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich

Mordaedil posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bgz5XKNZnU

Also doesn't hurt that it's the only speculation video I kinda agree 100% with.

That video is full of awful idea

"You know what'd be fun? Watching my character fumble around for bullets instead of reloading like normal!"

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Comstar posted:

You will be paying for every one of those Mod's you know, right?

While I do believe that Valve/Bethesda had Fallout 4 in mind with their little trial run at paid mods, I think it's overly pessimistic and a big leap to say all Fallout 4 mods will be paid. We tolerate these buggy games because of the mod potential, I don't think they are crazy enough to put all mods behind a paywall. They release the game 85% finished, the community has a laugh at the main quest NPC embedded 4 meters into a mountain-side, and then the mod community polishes the edges. That's the way this little dance has worked for a long time and I seriously doubt they would flip a full 180 for Fallout 4. Maybe when they finally move away from Gamebryo, but that doesn't seem to be the case this time.

As I said though I won't be buying the game at launch because I expect it will need mods, so if in fact you turn out to be right then welp I just don't know what I'll do.

Gibberish posted:

"You know what'd be fun? Watching my character fumble around for bullets instead of reloading like normal!"

Holy poo poo, this is an actual serious quote: "I want a character with 4 [skill] in guns who half the time he pulls the trigger it doesn't even fire, and when it does, he definitely doesn't hit what he's aiming at"

old-timey newspaper gal fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 8, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

cthulhoo posted:

you skipped the opening or something because that was 50s as gently caress and set the tone for the rest of the game in many ways imo

Fallout 1's opening? I just thought it was some old lady's apartment with her old radiator TV set ironically being the only thing having survived the nuclear onslaught. And the broadcast being very ancient and black & white seemed to me to just strike as extreme irony old technology being more durable than modern technology.

Neeksy posted:

Yeah you'd have to not understand historical aesthetic to not see the 50s going on in Fallout 3 or New Vegas, especially with its satire of nuclear optimism. For me the entire joke is the harsh juxtaposition of the posters/ads/products promoting an unattainably starry-eyed ideal (American exceptionalism/family values/order/consumerism) still existing alongside the actual results of that culture (charred corpses/fascism/lawlessness/inhospitable landscapes).
That's kinda what I got at though, it was very obvious in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but not explicit in the first games.

Neeksy posted:

A big point in the Fallout universe is that the pre-cataclysm government portrayed in it was a prolonged extension of the fascist trend in the background of US politics with the Red Scare and HUAC never having ended, combined with the Reaganesque "let's not address our problems and pretend we're back in a mythical late 40s/early 50s" romanticism. The US culture being locked in that romanticized aesthetic/culture in perpetuity was sort of used as a propagandistic tool to keep the public pacified while they got slowly irradiated and ultimately experimented on by private-public partnerships (Vault Experiments, etc.). It's sort of meant to be silly and extreme in how it contrasts the promises of extremist conservatism with the realities. Or at least that's just how I see it.
Well, I am a foreigner and my impression on how Americans see communism and Russia, cold war and all comes directly from Gremlins 2.

The schools here kinda only have a small note about the cold war even being a thing.

Gibberish posted:

Mmkay.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

I'm russian and the opening and style was somehow immediately obvious to me, a 17 yo dumb childe. Idk.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

I think the problem is most people aren't going to get past the first 5 minutes in that 62 minute video in which he does make some good points. In the first couple minutes he calls for new characters to start with chimpanzee level of competency rather than average adult human. I don't think that would be fun for anyone. While I agree with the basic concept of lower starting proficiency, when he says he wants your character to basically start without opposable thumbs its a bit far.

old-timey newspaper gal fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jun 8, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Hot Jam posted:

I think the problem is most people aren't going to get past the first 5 minutes in that 62 minute video in which he does make some good points. In the first couple minutes he calls for new characters to start with chimpanzee level of competency rather than average adult human. I don't think that would be fun for anyone. While I agree with the basic concept of lower starting proficiency, when he says he wants your character to basically start without opposable thumbs its a bit far.

I think he meant to indicate that the specialized should be specialized, so someone picking guns will be good with guns, but someone who did not wouldn't be nearly as proficient.

I mean, the same sentiment has been brought up earlier in this thread with the idea of having more sway on guns.

It's a difficult balance though, the mods I've tried that have done this has gone overboard with it.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Mordaedil posted:

I think he meant to indicate that the specialized should be specialized, so someone picking guns will be good with guns, but someone who did not wouldn't be nearly as proficient.

I mean, the same sentiment has been brought up earlier in this thread with the idea of having more sway on guns.

It's a difficult balance though, the mods I've tried that have done this has gone overboard with it.

Failing to fire a weapon half the time because of a lower skill is ridiculous.

That being said, I think he was speaking hyperbolically, and I agree that having a lower skill actually making it harder to do something, like shooting, is a good idea. Slow down the reload animation, more weapon sway, that sort of thing.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Jeff Gordon has 100 points in his driving skill

I just have 45 or so and my car fails to start more than half the time

Reality sucks, man

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Mordaedil posted:

Yea it's one of those ideas that makes a lot of sense on paper but is very hard to get right. Most people don't have fun being bad at something, or being incapable of doing something in a game they could do in real life. Its the same type of annoying dissonance you get when a cardboard box thwarts your hero's path.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Lol at the idea that the ammount of experience with shooting guns would influence whether you pulling the trigger would make a pistol shoot or not.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

Lol at the idea that the ammount of experience with shooting guns would influence whether you pulling the trigger would make a pistol shoot or not.

That already happens in Fallout engine when your weapons condition is low.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
Early in the game while my medicine skill was only 3 I attempted to use a syringe. Due to my inexperience I jammed it plunger first into my right eye, lowering my VATS skill by 50% for the remainder of my playthrough.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Mordaedil posted:

To provide a bit more common ground between NV fanatics and F3 believers, I want to turn your attention to this long-rear end loving video which might drone on too long for most of you, but I think can change a few minds in appreciating the strengths both games had and recognize they might be different, but not necessarily better than each other in every way.

Also doesn't hurt that it's the only speculation video I kinda agree 100% with.

That guy wants the levelling system from TES to be in Fallout and I would rather stab my eye with a rusty knife

Also if you didn't notice the 50s aesthetic in the openings to Fallout 1+2 then you're p. dumb

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

drkeiscool posted:

That being said, I think he was speaking hyperbolically, and I agree that having a lower skill actually making it harder to do something, like shooting, is a good idea. Slow down the reload animation, more weapon sway, that sort of thing.
This was done in another Obsidian game: Alpha Protocol and people absolutely loving hated that. It's actually a really bad idea.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Generally the problem is that the game is balanced around people needing to use VATS on their controllers, where the Guns skill would have an influence. If you can aim for yourself it's not implemented in a satisfying way.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

cargohills posted:

That guy wants the levelling system from TES to be in Fallout and I would rather stab my eye with a rusty knife
I don't remember him saying that at any point though?

cargohills posted:

Also if you didn't notice the 50s aesthetic in the openings to Fallout 1+2 then you're p. dumb
Yes, being a foreigner with little experience in 50's Americana makes me dumb. I'm sorry for bursting your bubble for not being the center of my world.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

First: he mentioned it in the comments, I didn't want to listen to an hour long video

Second: I'm not American :)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
At the time I remember being skeptical of what a Bethesda Fallout would mean, but the early concept art teases had me hopeful we'd at least get some virtual post apoc eye candy.

What we got was a bit of a let down.

The new trailer, again, isn't quite the jump I was hoping for or even expecting, but it does already feature some evocative vistas.

(though it's really this one shot that I particularly like)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The lighting is leaps and bounds better than F3 already and imo lighting is easily one of the most if not the most important part of the look of a game

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zzulu posted:

The lighting is leaps and bounds better than F3 already and imo lighting is easily one of the most if not the most important part of the look of a game

I don't disagree.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Palpek posted:

Witcher 3 has completely changed the RPG game to me, an open world with actual character, interesting NPCs and basically no fetch quests whatsoever is so much better than Skyrim it's not even funny. I'm sure I'll have a big problem with coming back to Bethesda's Fallout storytelling because of that too.

same, thinking about going back to barebones poo poo in other action RPGs makes my eyes glaze over. especially with loving gamebryo

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

cargohills posted:

First: he mentioned it in the comments, I didn't want to listen to an hour long video

It's a little hard to keep up with the discussion, if we're discussing two different things, you see. :nallears:

cargohills posted:

Second: I'm not American :)
And?

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Mordaedil posted:

Fallout 1's opening? I just thought it was some old lady's apartment with her old radiator TV set ironically being the only thing having survived the nuclear onslaught. And the broadcast being very ancient and black & white seemed to me to just strike as extreme irony old technology being more durable than modern technology.

That's kinda what I got at though, it was very obvious in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but not explicit in the first games.

If you don't get a 1950s retrofuture vibe from this, then I don't know what to tell you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3PXiV95kwA

The Chryslus Highwayman is a car powered by micro-fusion cells

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Yes, being a foreigner with little experience in 50's Americana makes me dumb. I'm sorry for bursting your bubble for not being the center of my world.

dude just let it go, who cares.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

As lovely as the Legion in general was, I did like how if you play as a woman and get to Legate Lanius, he refers to you with respect as the Woman of the West. It's a pretty rad title.

quote:

At the time I remember being skeptical of what a Bethesda Fallout would mean, but the early concept art teases had me hopeful we'd at least get some virtual post apoc eye candy.

Bethesda desperately needs an engine that can have more than a dozen people in a cell or whatever at a time.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

In all honesty the often horrid and extremely brief conversations were a step up from their last game.

It's almost like a reverse text parser seen in old timey adventure games. I like to think my character just ran around barking AOL key words at people and seeing what they responded with.

tbf Oblivion was released pretty early in the generation and they probably wanted to make sure the dialogue options were readable on SDTVs

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Hot Jam posted:

Early in the game while my medicine skill was only 3 I attempted to use a syringe. Due to my inexperience I jammed it plunger first into my right eye, lowering my VATS skill by 50% for the remainder of my playthrough.

that should improve your skill with guns though since you wouldn't have to close one eye to look down the sights. you'd basically be fetty wop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_kF4zLNKio

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Mordaedil posted:

It's a little hard to keep up with the discussion, if we're discussing two different things, you see. :nallears:

And?

You implied I was American in the second part of your post. Also, I think I'm allowed to comment on that guy's terrible opinions, even if they weren't in the video.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

To provide a bit more common ground between NV fanatics and F3 believers, I want to turn your attention to this long-rear end loving video which might drone on too long for most of you, but I think can change a few minds in appreciating the strengths both games had and recognize they might be different, but not necessarily better than each other in every way.

gently caress this british wanker

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

Generic Monk posted:

gently caress this british wanker

100% truth

I was going to give the video a shot because sometimes they can be at least interesting enough to have on the background, but the very first thing this guys wants is to make the game harder by making aiming shittier.

gently caress that, I just turned it off. Aim and hit chance should not be based on skills in games like this. Morrowind's greatest fault is the god drat miss chance. Just have the skill be tied to damage and speed things. Missing for reasons that aren't in your control is not fun at all.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Generic Monk posted:

gently caress this english wanker

ftfy

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
If you had a gun skill of 1 (out of 10) I wouldn't really mind if the weapon had mad sway that made it nearly impossible to aim accurately at range when you tried to aim down sights or something- but if you still miss when you're clearly aiming at your target, that's silly for the same reasons morrowinds approach was silly, with your weapon just passing harmlessly through your opponent.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Free Drinks posted:

100% truth

I was going to give the video a shot because sometimes they can be at least interesting enough to have on the background, but the very first thing this guys wants is to make the game harder by making aiming shittier.

gently caress that, I just turned it off. Aim and hit chance should not be based on skills in games like this. Morrowind's greatest fault is the god drat miss chance. Just have the skill be tied to damage and speed things. Missing for reasons that aren't in your control is not fun at all.

On one hand you have to make stats actually matter, but then again having bullets magically spray out at a 45 degree angle if you have low skill is kind of lame in a game where you aim manually. I'm comfortable having your guns skill be abstracted enough to affect how much damage you actually do with bullets despite it making no real sense, but accuracy wise it should only really affect your accuracy in VATS where the whole act of shooting is completely abstracted. It's a delicate balancing act but I'm comfortable having guns affect your reload speed and associated actuons if the animations are less obviously fast forwarded/slowed down than the earlier games. Peripheral actions like repairing and crafting should be tied to it as well.

The guy talks about crafting is interesting to talk about but not the aspects he chooses to mention. I don't think I crafted a single thing in FO3 because there was simply no incentive to pick up junk beyond the few weapons you could craft and selling poo poo to break any notion of fiduciary scarcity slightly quicker. I crafted a few thiungs in skyrim (mostly modded armours that I couldn't get any other way) but it was still a menu-driven snoozefest that was safely ignored. If they want me to craft, make it less of an afterthought and work it into the game at a deeper level. Make junk items able to be dismantled or have lots of different uses, allow you to craft items on the fly that it'd make sense for you to be able to, don't tie all crafting to a dedicated skill that I'll pass over because there's more interesting skills - i.e. if I'm good with guns I should be at least decent at crafting guns. Basically don't make me skill up in what is pretty much one of the most boring skills in any game to do crafting and make it actually useful and necessary. Maybe even interesting.

Alll that being said I think I specialized in repair at least once during my time with NV just becasue weapon durability was A Thing and the perk that alloowed you to repair any weapon with any weapon that was half similar was really useful. They should make that system deeper since I'd say an important part of a post-apoc game is the sense that everything's patched together and gradually falling apart.

I agree with him about the factions though. SOme of the most entertaining poo poo in these games is watching the different systems interact, and even when they gently caress up (like in oblivion where the beggars who are scripted to acquire food end up stealing it and are cut down by the guards) it's fun.

basically yeah. mincing middle englander

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

If you had a gun skill of 1 (out of 10) I wouldn't really mind if the weapon had mad sway that made it nearly impossible to aim accurately at range when you tried to aim down sights or something- but if you still miss when you're clearly aiming at your target, that's silly for the same reasons morrowinds approach was silly, with your weapon just passing harmlessly through your opponent.

I could certainly see more of a gradient in weapon proficiency. Instead of just weapon sway, the further off from the requirement the worse the recoil, the sloppier and slower the reloads, the higher chance of jamming etc etc

• Locked thread