Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
We should leave. We have no real reason to believe Devries is even here. He's probably living in some modest accommodation elsewhere on Footfall, or still on the Beast even. I think we are playing right into his hand.

In fact, we should leave footfall altogether and head to Sol. Stop playing his games, just have an Inquisitor declare him a Traitor to the Empire. He simply isn't relevant anymore. Screw this guy for even thinking he matters.

Hell, now that I've thought about it more, dude is self-destructing on his own now. Think about how Devries works, what we have seen of him so far. He draws you in, baits traps, makes you think you are playing one game when you're really playing another. The greatest victory we can get over him is not to beat him at his own game, it is to walk away with more than we started with.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Leave. He's not here and this is stupid.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Glass it, pay reparations

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
Leave. We've been warned it's a trap and precautions would be taken so that our usual tricks would not help us. Better to extract now and use some disposable assets (mercs, space mob etc.) to set off the trap / investigate. It probably would be a better use of our time to trace the payment through the auction house and try to see if that leads us to Devires.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's a bomb.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Leave.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Leave. Send a disposable squad to retrieve the life signs - alive if possible

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

my dad posted:

Yeah. Something seems really ...off here.

edit: Voting Leave

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Rip sad commissar hat we barely knew thee

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

my dad posted:

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.

my dad posted:

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

my dad posted:

This.

What's our range with skulls? Can we send some out to observe and oversee the operation remotely?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

my dad posted:

Yep, no sense sticking around here.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
What kind of inquisitor runs from danger?

Leaving because we're scared of the dark is going to kill our reputation and we're tasked by the Holy Emperor to kill the mutant and purge the unclean.

If the scans aren't showing any signs of traps or combustible material then we should press forward and see this through. Getting confirmation that DeVries is dead or long gone also helps to solidify our claim to the ship.

Let's use our special tech skills and send Megabyte forward to investigate.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Kegslayer posted:

What kind of inquisitor runs from danger?

Leaving because we're scared of the dark is going to kill our reputation and we're tasked by the Holy Emperor to kill the mutant and purge the unclean.

You know what would also kill our reputation? Getting blown to bits on the first day of the job. Being an Inquisitor is not about kicking in the door guns blazing, they wouldn't have made us one if it was.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
For Thrones' sake, we have an optical mechadendrite that can extend to really far away, has a crapton of sensors on it, amd can see in the bloody dark. Stick that fucker ahead of us and triple check every room before we even THINK of stepping foot in there.

We are the Inquisition, we don't run from poo poo.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
There is absolutely no way he is here. None. Disposable squad plan is the best plan. If I were Devries, I'd have vanished long ago onto the Beast or Footfall itself. Either way, time to head to Sol. We can wage war on the way there.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Ill give it another hour or two, but it looks like the consensus is 'leave nao'

proceed x x x x x,
waci
xun
tran
kegslayer
deadmeat5150

leave x x x x x, x x x x x, x x
paragon1
there bias two
mr apollo
sniper
LCT
my dad
rahul
oasx
ceramic shot
go RV
dog kisser
vansandman

leave and glass it x
maxhush

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Yeah, but this is the guy that likes to lay out traps for us just to delay us while he REALLY does XYZ. If he's there? let him be. If he's not? then he's on our ship.

Go on, take the Space Hulk and Run

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Deadmeat5150 posted:

For Thrones' sake, we have an optical mechadendrite that can extend to really far away, has a crapton of sensors on it, amd can see in the bloody dark. Stick that fucker ahead of us and triple check every room before we even THINK of stepping foot in there.

Clearing what we know to be a trap room by room serves no purpose but to allow DeVries time to escape.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Oasx posted:

You know what would also kill our reputation? Getting blown to bits on the first day of the job. Being an Inquisitor is not about kicking in the door guns blazing, they wouldn't have made us one if it was.

But we haven't gone in guns blazing. We've snuck in with a stealth team and we have the tools to get the job done. Why not use our mechadendrites or send Tanya or Megabyte to go ahead and investigate?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Blow out a series of wall from the outside in a straight line until we have direct sight of life signal.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Send stealthy scouts.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Kegslayer posted:

But we haven't gone in guns blazing. We've snuck in with a stealth team and we have the tools to get the job done. Why not use our mechadendrites or send Tanya or Megabyte to go ahead and investigate?

Because that would be playing his game. He doesn't matter. He is just a distraction that won't matter as soon as he is a lightyear away from us.

I don't even want us to send a disposable team in, I want us to ignore him completely and focus on attaining our actual goals.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Proceed

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
use mechadendrite scout maybe we can retrieve amacita. I think she's sweet. And loyal. And good at management. Once we get her off his drugs.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Leave, send in some disposable people (some with nets) to check up on life signs.

We might be able to recover Amancita or maybe even Devries and it doesn't really hurt to check into this whole trap for clues. I think the ripping out electronics thing to blind us is a feint. It blinds us, but it also prevents us from doing tech stuff from a distance, like if we get to a certain point in the complex all outside communications get jammed and the asteroid goes on a crash coarse for a rogue trader ship without us being able to stop it / we get surrounded from the outside by a battalion of mercs without knowing about it.

Tomn posted:

Something I think we need to consider: What does Devries want, and what has he been doing to get it?

But then...what? He started auctioning off the Family's effects - for what reason we do not know. He bought an asteroid base, one that he knew we'd be following up on. He started getting mentally unstable - dosing himself up more than he already was, and apparently worrying his tech-priest with concerns for his sanity. And he started doing this, if I have my timeline right, before it was entirely clear whether we'd emerge from the trial alive or dead. It's an odd break from his previously fairly standard if devious and cunning tactics. Can anyone see the pattern or the logic to these new actions, or figure out what they're working towards?

There are two ways to read into this.

1. Devries has always been something of a nervous wreck (especially after being a chemdog), but took refuge in audacity and bluffed his way to success. Every one of his plans has just barely succeeded, and if they hadn't he'd be dead. This is just him finally breaking down under pressure.

2. Devries really is that good, but since we disappeared he's been having trouble. Whether making promises is easier than keeping them / he bit off more than he could chew with Alpha deck or he stumbled upon something involving the darkness, he's beginning to crack under pressure. Personally, I'm quite partial to the idea of him pissing off the Magos (since he reminds him of us) and the Magos slowly making his life hell (using drugs, sound waves, etc...), to the point where he breaks down and thinks we're working together.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I just realized something.

Devries' gradual breakdown very closely fits the description of the nervous sickness that came over people the last time the darkness arose.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

:allears:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Sudden resurgence with the 'stay' team. Lets see what happens!

proceed x x x x x, x x x x
waci
xun
tran
kegslayer
deadmeat5150
nyaa
wentley
grognan
althair

leave x x x x x, x x x x x, x x x x
paragon1
there bias two
mr apollo
sniper
LCT
my dad
rahul
oasx
ceramic shot
go RV
dog kisser
hiho chirho
elrond
max hush

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

We need to at least send in something to try and recover whatever else D has stolen from us. There's got to be more bait in the trap than just him, and we should take it back. We've already played the clone game, just a maybe-him there isn't very valuable.

Ralith posted:

I just realized something.

Devries' gradual breakdown very closely fits the description of the nervous sickness that came over people the last time the darkness arose.

For those of us who aren't that familiar with the setting, is this implying a demon thing?

E: OK, I remember that now. God drat there's a million details in this game

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 8, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Go RV! posted:

We need to at least send in something to try and recover whatever else D has stolen from us. There's got to be more bait in the trap them just him. We've already played the clone game, just a maybe-him there isn't very valuable.

For those of us who aren't that familiar with the setting, is this implying a demon thing?

'The Darkness' is a chaos space marine group that haunted your ship for a couple decades.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Kegslayer posted:

Until now, Devries has been relaxing in his asteroid palace / on our ship without issue. The fact that he's liquidating our assets in bulk means he's gearing up for something. That something likely isn't going to be subtle or restrained and the fact that we aren't getting many life signs, for even bodyguards / mercs, means guns blazing/stealth isn't going to work when the asteroid gets hit with torpedoes or we get framed for something.

We need to stop trying to chase Devries' shadow and start trying to get ahead of him.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Leave and declare the asteroid sealed the life signs are our dear cousin and some sort of hostage. The place most likely has some sort of trigger that, if it doesn't kill us makes it look like we murdered a member of the family. I think Devry University has fallen to the Kekaiku lord Tzennech.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Stay.

The Night Lords are the worst traitor legion. gently caress these guys.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
If Devries somehow woke up the Darkness he probably was already skinned alive by it, since the Darkness is undoubtedly a euphemism for occupation by the Night Lords - whose home planet, I remind you, was in perpetual night. If there are Night Lords aboard our ship, going to Terra will undoubtedly help us cleanse them, seeing as we'll have access to the Grey Knights, but it will also likely play into the hands of the Night Lords puppetmasters, the Thousand Sons, who saw this whole affair coming years ago due to Tzeentch's favor. They're probably trying to infiltrate the Sol system, but going against the most paranoid fleet in the Galaxy is stupid, so they needed a written invitation - which we now have. Basically we have stowaways of the worst kind on the Beast. We should probably ask for a psychic inspection of the Beast when we get to Titan.

Oh and this whole hotel trap is exactly what a Night Lord would pull. Sensory deprivation is one of their favorite tactics. Can we still feel fear? If so, that's a problem.

Now what I'd do if I was a Thousand Son would be to hop off the Beast when we translate back into Sol realspace, probably somewhere around the Oort Cloud, find a bigass comet, attach a mass reaction engine to it, and use the mass of the comet as fuel to push the whole thing to near light-speed in the direction of Terra or Mars. If it works, they kill the Imperium; if it fails, they kill a huge spaceship that has to act as a shield between the comet and it's target. Either way, a good gamble, especially if the Thousand Sons open a warp portal out of there once they get the whole comet thing set up.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
We are the Inquisition, This is what we were meant to do. Plumb the depths of darkness and set it all on fire.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Kegslayer posted:

There is no reason for us to physically be there, we should let our team handle the details while we coordinate with them from a distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

proceed super cautiously