Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
It'd make sense from, like, skill level 1 to 10/100 to just be completely incompetent but not poo poo accuracy at point blank range. More like lots of sway down the sights or not even being able to ADS, and it taking longer to reload. The sort of things you have no idea how to handle going into it, but after an hour or two of practice you should get it. If they get really fiesty and introduce weapon jams, I could see skill playing a big factor in how quickly you get those removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It would be ok if the gun swayed more etc. creating additional manual difficulties for you - the player during aiming. However despite all the swaying, recoil, realoading times and so on, the gun should still shoot exactly where you aim so when you're patient or just skilled enough as a person holding the mouse or being simply lucky - you can still hit the target. Further level ups would only make the difficulties less annoying.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
this game will win an award for how badly you can render metal poles, crate, dogs with 2015's technology

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

my brother works at bethesda and he says that they originally started working on fallout as a grand worldwide experiment to see how many lovely games they could make with the "Fallout" title and still make money

it's like a big joke over there, "haha when you mention a new fallout game these loving nerds try to get out their wallets so fast that they wind up tripping over themselves, actually it looks a lot like one of the goofy bugs in our lovely engine"

Not saying you're a liar; but - there's something off about this story...

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

lol

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
I'm okay with the engine "jankiness" and the weird animation cicles we all love to hate in Bethesda games, but the thing i reeeeally would like to see out of FO4 is the V.A.T.S. system.

Not that will ever happen since people really like to watch poo poo blow in slowmotion.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

OK I've contiinued watching that vid because I have nothing better to do and holy poo poo there are bits of code in the hacking minigame you can select that remove dud options and restore your tries? What the gently caress? I don't think I've heard this mentioned once ingame or in discussion - this would've gone so much further to making sure I didn't avoid the hacking minigame whenever I could because of the sheer amount of time it took up.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Palpek posted:

This was done in another Obsidian game: Alpha Protocol and people absolutely loving hated that. It's actually a really bad idea.

Alpha Protocol was hilarious. The pistol super skill fired like 7 bullets at once, and he became so competent that I could blindfire with 100% accuracy. Alpha Protocol owns. Leveling up Martial Arts until you could mash a 20 hit combo that was all super fast spinny kicks and karate chops was great, too.

E: Also the color palette and blown out bloom reminds me of Ninja Theory games. DmC and that Enslaved game or whatever where the tagline was "the apocalypse is GREEN :haw:" (in a time where brown was still the best and most serious color) and nature had reclaimed all the cities.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 8, 2015

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Personal_Nirvana posted:

I'm okay with the engine "jankiness" and the weird animation cicles we all love to hate in Bethesda games, but the thing i reeeeally would like to see out of FO4 is the V.A.T.S. system.

Not that will ever happen since people really like to watch poo poo blow in slowmotion.

I'd just like a semblance of strategy to the combat. Open world enemy AI is probably hard, but they can do much better. The fact that the game's reusing the crappy running animations - meaning no big overhaul, making new more complicated animations like jumping to cover less likely - doesn't fill me with hope.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Generic Monk posted:

OK I've contiinued watching that vid because I have nothing better to do and holy poo poo there are bits of code in the hacking minigame you can select that remove dud options and restore your tries? What the gently caress? I don't think I've heard this mentioned once ingame or in discussion - this would've gone so much further to making sure I didn't avoid the hacking minigame whenever I could because of the sheer amount of time it took up.

Yeah if you can find, for example, a closed set of brackets or parentheses in the terminal, you can click on it and it will do something like give you an additional guess or eliminate incorrect options. It took me a long while to figure that out too.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

RickDaedalus posted:

I like Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas.

I will buy Fallout 4 and have a good time.

This guy knows what's up.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Generic Monk posted:

OK I've contiinued watching that vid because I have nothing better to do and holy poo poo there are bits of code in the hacking minigame you can select that remove dud options and restore your tries? What the gently caress? I don't think I've heard this mentioned once ingame or in discussion
This was mentioned in FO3's manual (though not in F:NV's).

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I just went to those webpages that would solve it for you.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Personal_Nirvana posted:

:agreed:

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Personal_Nirvana posted:

vats is one of the less janky feeling parts of the game and is infinitely more satisfying than the lovely real time combat where people just keel over, heads randomly explode and weapons refuse to fire due to animation bugs

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

This guy knows what's up.

lol look at that stubborn positive attitude he must be fat and lonely

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Seems a dumb thing to remove seeing as if you don't like it you can just not use it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

boneration posted:

Seems a dumb thing to remove seeing as if you don't like it you can just not use it.

Hey guys if don't like a fundamental mechanic of a game you can just not use it. It's not like the entire balance of the game is designed around it or anything! I'm an idiot.

-boneration

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Generic Monk posted:

vats is one of the less janky feeling parts of the game and is infinitely more satisfying than the lovely real time combat where people just keel over, heads randomly explode and weapons refuse to fire due to animation bugs

VATS is awesome and the only way to improve it is to add the button that lets you spend your VATS meter as bullet time.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Hey guys if don't like a fundamental mechanic of a game you can just not use it. It's not like the entire balance of the game is designed around it or anything! I'm an idiot.

-boneration

lmao it's hardly unplayable if you don't use it. it is worse though since vats is pretty cool. in conclusion, eat a dick

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Kawabata posted:

lol look at that stubborn positive attitude he must be fat and lonely

I missed the original FO3 vs NV talk because I was bangin bitches. Probably.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

OwlFancier posted:

VATS is awesome and the only way to improve it is to add the button that lets you spend your VATS meter as bullet time.

poo poo, that's actually a really good idea for an option. Is there a mod that can do something like this for F3 or NV I wonder. Time to Google.

For mods, it's most likely a done deal that Bethesda will allow paid mods, but hopefully it's going to be done in a more intelligent fashion vs Skyrim attempt.

If they do it right and then allow curated stuff to make it over to the consoles, that would be a very smart thing for Bethesda... However I am not sure how likely such a thing would be.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's Sheogorath in disguise. He needs you to come to Tamriel and freak out the Aldmeri Dominion for a few laughs.
I would have a metric ton of respect for Bethesda if they actually did this at one point during Fallout 4 and DLCs

Just show up with a bear's head hat and a gatling laser and vaporize every foofy elf in the building

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

oblomov posted:

poo poo, that's actually a really good idea for an option. Is there a mod that can do something like this for F3 or NV I wonder. Time to Google.

For mods, it's most likely a done deal that Bethesda will allow paid mods, but hopefully it's going to be done in a more intelligent fashion vs Skyrim attempt.

If they do it right and then allow curated stuff to make it over to the consoles, that would be a very smart thing for Bethesda... However I am not sure how likely such a thing would be.

i think project nevada does this in NV and there's defo an equivalent for 3. same with sprinting (which is more janky than the bullet time but works how you'd expect w/r/t using action points)

actually it'd be kind of cool if more poo poo used action points so you could get caught off guard or need to retreat/rest or something. something to disincentivise just running headlong into an enemy camp maybe.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 8, 2015

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

It's not like the entire balance of the game is designed around it or anything!
No, it's not. VATS is entirely optional to use.
I felt VATS' implementation really didn't elevate beyond it being a gimmick. A sort of nod to the combat from the original games.

oblomov posted:

Yes. There are several mods that do this. Big ones are FWE for FO3 and Project Nevada for F:NV. Both also have a sprint that uses AP.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

OwlFancier posted:

And for sprinting. FWE was so sweet. I'm trying to get an FO3 game going again, but holy poo poo is the modding system ever annoying. But necessary, because I don't know how this game shipped without default iron sights. The fact that it didn't sure makes a good case that it was actually balanced around VATS.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That'll be in the Fallout 5 teaser trailer which will consist solely of the camera slowly zooming out from a billboard full of classic Americana until the wasteland is shown for a brief second.

Game of the Show E3 2020

Bullshit, the Fallout 5 teaser will be out before Fallout 4 is released.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Raygereio posted:

No, it's not. VATS is entirely optional to use.
I felt VATS' implementation really didn't elevate beyond it being a gimmick. A sort of nod to the combat from the original games.

Yes. There are several mods that do this. Big ones are FWE for FO3 and Project Nevada for F:NV. Both also have a sprint that uses AP.

I am going to have to redo my mod order now... The one thing I really hope is improved conflict detection, less jaunky modding for F4.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

are there really people who exist that want VATS out of Fallout?? Because lol the game would be loving unplayable without it. This isn't an FPS, every gun is a piece of poo poo cobbled together from garbage and the sights/aiming is godawful. Maybe it's just because FO3 and NV were programmed terribly but trying to play them as FPS games meant you got hosed. Especially because so many loving enemies were retarded kamikazes.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

oblomov posted:

I am going to have to redo my mod order now... The one thing I really hope is improved conflict detection, less jaunky modding for F4.
If Bethesda really wants to implement pay-for-mods, they need to seriously overhaul how modding their games works. Improved conflict detection and solving is but one of many issues that ought to be addressed.
Such an overhaul is not likely to happen though.

Honestly, I'd be happy if Bethesda's new toolset incorporated the features from the xEdit series of tools. It's kinda ridiculous that they haven't already since that could have prevented bugs caused by their own friggin DLC.
Just like it's ridiculous that it took Bethesda until Skyrim to create a loadorder sorting tool (for those who don't know, that's something that's critical to modding Bethesda games) on their own.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 8, 2015

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

MinibarMatchman posted:

are there really people who exist that want VATS out of Fallout?? Because lol the game would be loving unplayable without it. This isn't an FPS, every gun is a piece of poo poo cobbled together from garbage and the sights/aiming is godawful. Maybe it's just because FO3 and NV were programmed terribly but trying to play them as FPS games meant you got hosed. Especially because so many loving enemies were retarded kamikazes.

VATS is especially important within buildings, IMO, as you don't have as much space to kite. Now, in the outside areas, a good sniper rifle plus stealth means that you rarely have to use VATS as everything dies before even coming close.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

MinibarMatchman posted:

it's actually really easy to play without VATS because the games are easy

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

the skill system even makes hipfire more accurate than ads because of the auto-hit "feature"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Generic Monk posted:

lmao it's hardly unplayable if you don't use it.

MinibarMatchman posted:

are there really people who exist that want VATS out of Fallout?? Because lol the game would be loving unplayable without it.

oblomov posted:

VATS is especially important within buildings

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

I guess the jury is still out on VATS.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

VATS was much more useful in 3 than NV I felt. 3 just had the whack loving "Ya cant hit poo poo haha" issue with guns being aimed manually.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
VATS: Centerpiece mechanic or minor feature?

Goons report, you decide.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

It's alright

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

oblomov posted:

Yes, that's where I got the suggestion from, project nevada does it for FNV and the equivalent project for FO3 does it there I think.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

the character jank was so bad and the glitches alone make me laugh to think how annoying it would be to exclusively use manual aiming. it's fine for sniping and poo poo or even close range but for the most part I got really tired of trying to aim with non-sight guns from a long range.

if the games had a semblance of FPS gameplay it's be fine to toss out VATS but the previous 2 were just messy. I say this as someone who played the first one multiple times and liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Chomp8645 posted:

if you use a mod that hellforces autoaim off, you become are exactly as accurate as you appear and the game becomes a lot more playable

• Locked thread