Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

e X posted:

If it's a gif it's Dickbutt.

If it's a four panel comic it's loss.

Spoiler tag that poo poo, bro!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shiite Bewoulf is meme now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF2duVczkvQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPu6O0o4_ac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mWE_d2KI1E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIPqHfnFTpU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Who is that?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

actual cannibal chia lebaf

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u4M6vppCI

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I will always laugh at "cold on a cob" no matter how many times Ive seen it

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

"Hollywood superstar Shia LaBeouf" is the funniest part.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2IV7RQjb4M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6DEbljy73g

Mans has a new favorite as of 00:35 on Jun 8, 2015

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

dialhforhero posted:

Or maybe some languages use a more "literal" translation when creating words. If you have a word for an item that covers up your extremities (shoe, which covers your feet), then why not use that same word to describe another item that covers a similar extremity (hand, which then would use a hand-shoe). It's an amazingly simple concept that doesn't require you to invent some lavish new word for people to learn (glove).

There's a reason why you see memes created with German and Germanic languages that seem really silly when translated to English (see: any youtube video that has some guy saying angrily: "This is a...It... i.e. This is a Nebelwerfer, it werfs nebel.) They often have words that literally describe what the item does or is (a hippopotamus, for instance, is literally translated as a "river horse" in German). When you think about it, it's an amazingly simple and efficient way of approaching language.

Honestly, this isn't a foreign concept in English (which is a Germanic language). See words like "Flamethrower" or "Earplugs".
Also: I suggest you consider looking into the field of cognitive linguistics.

Literalised translations for Chinese are hilarious as well - hence the "DO NOT WANT" Star Wars prequel memes.

"I want beat electric brain" -> "I will type on a computer"
"My centre literature is horse horse tiger tiger" -> "My chinese is only so-so"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Wait the German word for Nile is "Hippo"? The gently caress?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Masked Pumpkin
May 10, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

Wait the German word for Nile is "Hippo"? The gently caress?

Well you do get quite a lot of hippos in the Nile.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hamsters eat bugs in the wild and will eat finely-chopped cooked meat as an occasional treat. Can't be too picky when you live in the desert.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Welcome to YOSPOS here is your 40000 complimentary Cosbys.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
What is the deal with all the Cosbys

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

CharlieWhiskey posted:

What is the deal with all the Cosbys

I don't know about the rest of the family but at least one of them is a rapist

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dabir posted:

Hamsters eat bugs in the wild and will eat finely-chopped cooked meat as an occasional treat. Can't be too picky when you live in the desert.

Whaaa? I had a hamster when I was like 5 years old and I was assured that I must never allow it to have meat or it would get a taste for blood and become vicious. Which doesn't make much sense now that I think about it. The 70s were a magical time.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Angela Christine posted:

Whaaa? I had a hamster when I was like 5 years old and I was assured that I must never allow it to have meat or it would get a taste for blood and become vicious. Which doesn't make much sense now that I think about it. The 70s were a magical time.

It's true.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQte2nz80Is

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Angela Christine posted:

5 years old in the 70s? Hahaha how's life in the retirement home grandma?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Roar posted:

:allears:

why nintendo thought making a game where people could draw their own masterpieces and share them with others is a thing i'll never understand.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

How is everything not a cock

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Decrepus posted:

Its moderated heavily and nws poo poo gets deleted.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Decrepus posted:

That is my question regarding the "draw a picture to someone else with an Apple Watch" feature

Answer is probably "it is"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

Its moderated heavily and nws poo poo gets deleted.

How do you moderate millions of cocks? I think Lego gave up on one of their family-friendly MMOs at some point because they just couldn't catch up with increasingly esoteric ways of constructing a giant penis out of lego pieces.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I'm really pissed off now that White Ink isn't actually confirmed

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Paladinus posted:

How do you moderate millions of cocks? I think Lego gave up on one of their family-friendly MMOs at some point because they just couldn't catch up with increasingly esoteric ways of constructing a giant penis out of lego pieces.

Nintendo spent a HUGE amount of time and effort on how to automatically block pictures of penises before launching Miiverse (though apparently a fair amount of that was wasted because they were using photos of penises not drawings)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ookiimarukochan posted:

Nintendo spent a HUGE amount of time and effort on how to automatically block pictures of penises before launching Miiverse (though apparently a fair amount of that was wasted because they were using photos of penises not drawings)

Japanese penises are also easily distinguished by being made of minecraft blocks.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

ookiimarukochan posted:

God imagine trying to describe to someone you just met what your job consists of. "Well, I spend all day trying to teach a computer how to recognize genitals, for kids you know. For the children."

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm really pissed off now that White Ink isn't actually confirmed

to be fair they didn't say it was confirmed. they said it was "confrimed"

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Paladinus posted:

I put 'em in my mouth, one by one

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Kakairo posted:

When that started, the Mentos theme popped up in my head, except the word "Mentos" was replaced by "dickbutt". Then the gifv kept going and the song kept going in my head. Now it's stuck.
Immediately had the same reaction. Yay advertising poisoning our minds!

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Is it just me, or has the axe been nailed to its paws? Or pinned. Or something. Very small nails.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

jiharlequinade posted:

Is it just me, or has the axe been nailed to its paws? Or pinned. Or something. Very small nails.

Why do you think it's screaming?

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Sad lions posted:

Why do you think it's screaming?

To strike fear into the hearts of its enemies.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

Chard posted:

God imagine trying to describe to someone you just met what your job consists of. "Well, I spend all day trying to teach a computer how to recognize genitals, for kids you know. For the children."

When I was getting paid to do that, that's pretty much what I told people. Except for the bit about kids, cuz I wasn't doing it for the kids, I was doing it so we could get better advertising dollars. I'd then segue into explaining the difficulties in programmatically differentiating between lady tits and dude tits, and how little any algorithm to identify nudity helps when attempting to identify someone whacking off.

It's just naughty enough to get people's attention, it turns out. No problem at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
politicians are making memes now

• Locked thread