Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
God dammit, Stanis :(

That bothered me way more than it probably should have.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Since I'm on a roll, waiting on Jorah to start a grayscale epidemic in Mereen now.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Well that was loving unpleasant.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

From the book spoiler thread (the show is past the books here):

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
goddamn that was a bad episode to be a little girl in :smith:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Man, I have a real big problem when little girls get hurt.

That poo poo hurt my soul. :smith:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It actually bothered me more than most of the stuff that's happened in this show. That scream. :smith:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Anita Dickinme posted:

It actually bothered me more than most of the stuff that's happened in this show. That scream. :smith:

being burned alive is a really hosed way to go

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

Jorah gave Dany stone AIDs, calling it now.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm getting really frustrated with the show. This isn't just "WHYARE BAD THINGS HAPPENING TO CHARACTERS I LIKE I NEED A HERO!"

it's getting to a point where I can actually tell what was written by GRRM, and what was made up for the show by D&D. and I've never even read the books. Was a scene stupid, pointless, and purely for shock value? Does a scene not make any logical or consistent sense?

Turns out that was a scene made up for the show!

Seriously. I have a friend who has read the books and every time recently I've been upset at a scene I ask him "was that in the books" and the answer has like always been "no lol". it used to be I was just getting mad because darkness but now?

It's legit bad writing. Like

Stannis burning Shireen is stupid. It's not even for a concrete magical spell like to bring forth another demon to win the war, it's just vague nebulous rain dance bullshit. It just makes Stannis look evil and like a huge tool and puppet to Melissandre, and just...makes him look dumb. Like, Stannis also looks really weak because Ramsey teleported into and out of his camp and ruined all his poo poo.

So what now? He's a soulless puppet, and he'll lose his best tactician and advisor because of this - either Davos abandons him or Stannis has to kill him too, either way he loses him. He just looks really weak. So it's hard to see him as posing a threat to the Boltons anymore. So he just loses and then...

it makes the entire Stannis plot thread feel like a waste of time.

If Melisandre had gone behind Stannis' back and done this there could be value in that, and I'd be upset but I wouldn't necessarily call it bad writing. This is just really dumb - but again especially combined with Ramsey, it's just awful writing.

And speaking of Ramsey that's more terrible writing because while I know it's standard now to subvert the cliche of "good guys always win", it's seemed a stronger theme that "stupidity gets punished". Yet this was an incredibly stupid plan Ramsay has and...it works flawlessly. Off screen. If this was consistent, good writing, he would have been caught - not because he's evil and we want to see him caught, but because the plan is loving stupid and logically should end with him being caught. That he didn't get caught just makes Stannis' army look so pathetic and weak...

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
re: fire god, cersei cousin religion cult, ~*~*~*~*the old gods AND the new~*~*~*~*~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xWji92N8RM&t=10s

If nothing of interest happens next Sunday I'm going to mail aids to GRRM in the form of a pie so that fat gently caress will hurry up and finish his books and then die.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The writers said straight up that GRRM told them Shireen was getting roasted. He just hasn't gotten around to actually writing the story. The things that the TV show changes more is based upon specific characters absorbing extra roles or doing extra things because they have a vested interest in using them. A lot of them are better decisions than the books, such as sending Jon Snow to Hardhome instead of him playing politician at the wall or using Sansa instead of her friend that no one has heard about in years as Ramsay's wife.

Shireen getting burned was a GRRM decision.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So we can all agree the Dorne plot line was the worst story this season?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

Bad in the books bad in the show

Feels like the only reason it's in the show is so they could wrap up a loose end they shouldn't have created in season 1 or whatever

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I'll eat a few episodes of bad plot and terrible acting for that rack, though.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

this is what i think of every GoT discussion

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

The writers said straight up that GRRM told them Shireen was getting roasted. He just hasn't gotten around to actually writing the story. The things that the TV show changes more is based upon specific characters absorbing extra roles or doing extra things because they have a vested interest in using them. A lot of them are better decisions than the books, such as sending Jon Snow to Hardhome instead of him playing politician at the wall or using Sansa instead of her friend that no one has heard about in years as Ramsay's wife.

Shireen getting burned was a GRRM decision.

oh ok.

(you're a stupid person)

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'll eat a few episodes of bad plot and terrible acting for that rack, though.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Dude in TVIV is having a hard day

paperchaseguy posted:

I was trying to go to sleep a few minutes ago and for some reason the enormity of these events finally hit me and I couldn't stop crying. I have no real life friends who give a poo poo about Westeros, so this is basically the only place I have to express these feelings, but I really feel the need to express them.

I would like this thread to be about our personal feelings about Stannis Baratheon, and how it has personally affected us. Just TV-IVing about the details as they come in, or wondering about Westeros' future, and all of that bullshit has no place here. I need to write about my feelings about Stannis Baratheon. Obviously these posts will be mocked elsewhere on the forums, but gently caress em. If you feel the need to say anything, say it.

-----
Stannis Baratheon is a murderer. He killed his child. We will probably never know exactly what he was thinking. Obviously I did not know Stannis Baratheon. I never saw him in person and never spoke to him. But he represented something very special to me. In such a cut-throat, dirty, dark, often disgusting, business he was one of the good ones. When people talked poo poo about the Lord of Light and the bastards worshipping him, you could always count Stannis Baratheon as the exception to the rule. He was the one you could count to be a true professional who honored the kingdom he loved, who was passionate about it, who proved that you could dedicate your life to Westeros without being insane or scum or a monster. He was the ace in the hole. He was the one who wasn't in it for the pussy or because he was a failed jock or because he wanted to get rich quick or because he saw war as a means to an end. He was in it for the throne. He was dedicated to being the best king he could be, and it showed.

I wanted to be a king since I was a little kid, and one of the very worst moments of my life was a cold night in Flea Bottom when I finally admitted to myself that coming to King's Landing to be a knight had been a mistake. Coming to grips that I was simply not strong or wise enough to be a king was one of the worst moments of my life. The war glorifies the boyhood dreams that come true. My boyhood dream wasn't going to come true, and it was an upsetting, soul-crushing revelation that upsets and discourages me to this day.

Since then I lived vicariously through Stannis Baratheon in a lot of ways. He wasn't a man who was destined to be King of Westeros. He couldn't talk. He wasn't charismatic in the usual way. He was quiet. He was short. The only thing he had going for him was his work ethic. He wasn't a first line heir. He wasn't physically gifted. He wasn't someone who had words come easy to him. But through sheer effort he was able to become one of the greatest kings in history. By 50 years-old.

Stannis Baratheon was only fifty, and he was already a legend on the verge of myth. That's how talented he was, and how respected.

I cannot reconcile in my mind that the man who unnecessarily gave back so much to the kingdom could end his child's life the way he did. I can't understand how a man could spend weeks and months trying to give back to younger guys like Robb, putting forth the care and effort to help them find their place in the kingdom, and that that same man could burn his child only weeks later. It doesn't make sense. It shouldn't have happened this way. Not for him, not for Selyse, and not for their child.

Stannis Baratheon owed me nothing. But I still feel the loss. I selfishly lived through many of his accomplishments and now feel lost. I can only speak for myself, but I feel that for a lot of us Sunday nights are rocks of stability in a storm of stress and uncertainty. Every week the show goes on. Every week the show is from somewhere new, somewhere in the world, but every week it comes into our homes.

And that will continue. But Stannis Baratheon is a murderer. And whether it be insanity, drugs, or just the actions of a clear-eyed monster, what is done is done. And one of the pillars for the guys backstage and one of the pillars for fans is gone. And everything that pillar held up is tainted and dripping with blood.

Stannis Baratheon is a murderer. And I don't know how to accept that.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Sure Dorne was poorly executed, but the Arya story is waaaaaaay worse.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
that ep was p f cool. for a moment i was thinking arya was gonna be the "younger" girl they tried to grab in the brothel, and she'd let it rip and slice and dice on those dudes :getin:. maybe next time.

also, dragon riding.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Untagged posted:

that ep was p f cool. for a moment i was thinking arya was gonna be the "younger" girl they tried to grab in the brothel, and she'd let it rip and slice and dice on those dudes :getin:. maybe next time.

also, dragon riding.

Actually I was thinking the show might have the balls to have Arya get raped. Imagine if they did that AND roasted Stannis' daughter all in one episode?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Actually I was thinking the show might have the balls to have Arya get raped. Imagine if they did that AND roasted Stannis' daughter all in one episode?

The internet would break

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
I was kinda torn between "ah man pedos :smith:" and hoping tumblr and tviv would have a heart attack and die.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Victor Vermis posted:

oh ok.

(you're a stupid person)

duh

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Untagged posted:

also, dragon riding.

IMO it was setup for Arya to be the "fresh one" next episode.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Booblord Zagats posted:

Dude in TVIV is having a hard day

gj missing the joke dude

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The complaints that this is "bad character development", that it "came out of nowhere" or was "just intended for shock value" are kind of dumb IMO, and I've seen all three brought up in the same post.

Stannis offed his own brother, but that came across more like a cold and calculated decision than something truly monstrous (at least, in a medieval context). So you get moments where he hugs his daughter and you think "eh he's cold but he's got a heart". In this episode, though, he demonstrated that he's a real motherfucker with his eye on the prize. He's a lovely leader, the fact that a small raid succeeded in mortally wounding his army demonstrates that if his massive failure at King's Landing and general distance and distractedness didn't already do it for you, and he truly had no option at that point but to either have his army desert him and abort his attempt at the throne or do some real dark poo poo.

Like, I think "How serious is this guy really?" was kind of an open question all along and this episode pretty well answered it.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 9, 2015

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAP MY BIRTHRIGHT INTO EXISTENCE. IT'S TO BE THE ONE TRUE KING OF WESTEROS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE HE WHO IS BORN AMONG SALT AND SMOKE AZOR AHAI COME AGAIN

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

The complaints that this is "bad character development", that it "came out of nowhere" or was "just intended for shock value" are kind of dumb IMO, and I've seen all three brought up in the same post.

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

It's legit bad writing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The last one was me realposting, I'm so sorry...

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Has there been any posts in TVIV about how much more triggering Sansa's offscreen rape was compared to Stannis setting fire to his loving daughter while she was alive?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
lol

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Stannis is 100% convinced those leeches did in Robb, Balon and Joffrey, so it's probably pretty concrete to him.

:lol:

Has there been any posts in TVIV about how much more triggering Sansa's offscreen rape was compared to Stannis setting fire to his loving daughter while she was alive?
Look, he may have burned his daughter alive in his mad pursuit of the throne, but at least he didn't deny her ~*~agency~*~

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I didn't see any so I was forced to conclude that people consider Sansa's rape to be far worse than burning a child alive or raping a little girl who wasn't fortunate enough to have a name.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That's right. I haven't seen any outrage over anonymous child rape. No histrionic outbursts over quitting the show over such trivial matters.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That's right. I haven't seen any outrage over anonymous child rape. No histrionic outbursts over quitting the show over such trivial matters.

The only other conclusion is that the people who said they'd quit the show actually did and I don't believe that for a god drat second

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
stannis was a douche before. now hes a douche who torched his own daughter.

• Locked thread