Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Bluedeanie posted:

Sam Alvey met his wife at a renfaire, so even if you're a weirdo who can't conceive why the cool dude and his wife like one another, "mutual interests" ought to help you understand.

Ah thanks for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Meowbot posted:

I've never heard of Travis Fulton before but how can you have 311 fights and 250 wins and not even be considered by the UFC?
I think you can click like 1 or 2 of his wins in his wikipedia page.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Meowbot posted:

I've never heard of Travis Fulton before but how can you have 311 fights and 250 wins and not even be considered by the UFC?

Joe Silva is really good at his job and has been following the sport since before Fulton turned pro. I do believe Fulton fought in pre-Zuffa UFC though.

The thing is MMA records aren't about the number of opponents you've beaten or how many times you've gone undefeated in the jungle fight, it's about quality of opponents and what can you actually do? Beating up a million no-names in smaller promotions isn't going to get the attention of UFC as quick as beating a guy fans are familiar with or having skills so impressive word travels around gyms & other circles and quickly gets to Joe Silva or Sean Shelby.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Julio Cruz posted:

He has an NC on his record which, according to Wikipedia, is because the fight got stopped for rainfall. That has to be pretty unique.

I did some googling and the youtube videos seem to have been nuked (so props if you can find them), but in the early 2000's there was a King of the Cage event held outdoors that they didn't stop for a rainstorm. The fights turned into a slip and slide and it got so bad the refs were wearing raincoats. Dark age MMA was loving weird.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Current mma is loving weird. I just watched a bunch of bums fight bare handed in a triangle thanks to lobstermobster.

There's a bunch of other weird poo poo going on that I just don't have time to look into. I can't find a copy of the pirate mma thing.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Meowbot posted:

Because a bunch of his wins are of this calibre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9crtq44GaFs

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

colonel_korn posted:

Because a bunch of his wins are of this calibre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9crtq44GaFs

I came here to say the thing about Sam Alvey meeting his wife at a renfaire but I see somebody already covered it, so on a related note to not-credible fights, have Ben Rothwell hammerfisting the poo poo out of a fat kid at a county fair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9r2GAAaiKs

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

ahahahahaha wow this is pretty god drat ridiculous that kid has a hel lof a chin on him though

Rothwell is going to have a UFC heavyweight title contender shot one day lol what a world

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
To end the Schaub contract talk. On the next Companion podcast he actually corrects himself by saying that Joe Silva called him and reminded that he got paid 14/14 for Nog fight.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I wonder if Joe Silva has any non-MMA hobbies.

Vitamin Boss
Oct 23, 2006
Burn it to the ground

TheCool69 posted:

To end the Schaub contract talk. On the next Companion podcast he actually corrects himself by saying that Joe Silva called him and reminded that he got paid 14/14 for Nog fight.

Joe Silva is the best

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
Most of Travis Fulton's record is a long string of bums that he fought almost weekly for a long time. He's bad at fighting and also a bad person.

His current MMA record
251–50–10 (1)

His current MMA record against fighters with wikipedia pages
12-34-5

The only wins I see that are even semi-relevant are 15 years ago and they'r over Cabbage (lol) and what was presumably a 300lb Joe Riggs.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

MysteryNad posted:

Most of Travis Fulton's record is a long string of bums that he fought almost weekly for a long time. He's bad at fighting and also a bad person.

His current MMA record
251–50–10 (1)

His current MMA record against fighters with wikipedia pages
12-34-5

The only wins I see that are even semi-relevant are 15 years ago and they'r over Cabbage (lol) and what was presumably a 300lb Joe Riggs.

He also lasted 14:59 against future UFC title challenger, Andrei Arlovski. What a world.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lE_eaXV1r4

Is Ben Rothwell the first fighter to ever win via GoGo Choke?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

colonel_korn posted:

I don't think that was any choke. I think Mitrione tapped because he suddenly remembered "dem rabbits."

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Catching up on the fights and GDT now. Bludeanie your OPs are loving great

quote:

[Hendo] brought Michael Bisping face to face with whatever gap-toothed lockjawed soccer hooligan wood nymph the Brits claim as their chief deity

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

colonel_korn posted:

Just noticed the first thing Ben says is "thanks Joe"

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

jon anik says way stupider crap than ben rothwell does in that clip

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Dude looks like one of the orcs from Lord of the Rings there.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Ben Rothwell is the Butters of MMA. A big lovable lughead who was shat on and under-appreciated for so long he developed a Professor Chaos persona who walks out in dark robes to songs from the Bram Stoker's Dracula soundtrack and delivers goofy ineffectual villain-laugh promos hellbent on world domination and plunging the heavyweight division into chaos.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Imagine if Rothwell and Fedor fought in Affliction and it went exactly like the Mitrione fight. I mean it wouldn't have, but imagine.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

colonel_korn posted:

UFC title challenger, Andrei Arlovski. What a world.

Arlovski was champion

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
What happened to that PSP'er that was training at Rothwell MMA?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Can't remember the last time I saw Valentijn Overeem in MMAth

Bluedeanie posted:

Ben Rothwell is the Butters of MMA. A big lovable lughead who was shat on and under-appreciated for so long he developed a Professor Chaos persona who walks out in dark robes to songs from the Bram Stoker's Dracula soundtrack and delivers goofy ineffectual villain-laugh promos hellbent on world domination and plunging the heavyweight division into chaos.
there's only one song on that soundtrack and now you've ruined it

mewse
May 2, 2006

origami posted:

What happened to that PSP'er that was training at Rothwell MMA?

I think he was in the A/T thread and hasn't posted recently. IIRC the guy was bipolar and Big Ben was helping him out a lot.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i annoyed tim kennedy today this is my yearly contribution to mixed martial arts

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

minoru suzuki posted:

i annoyed tim kennedy today this is my yearly contribution to mixed martial arts

Go on

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

minoru suzuki posted:

#bigmistake

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

minoru suzuki posted:

drat he's so easily distracted from his quest to eliminate all poachers and human traffickers

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

EmmyOk posted:

I know i've gushed about him before (or her?) but Gian Galang does the best MMA artwork

ty for the new phone background and a piece of art that I'm going to own and put on a wall and show off to people

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Bluedeanie posted:

This is the most apt description of any fighter since walnut condom GSP.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Ben Rothwell on the mma hour:
"I punched fear into his brain, that is why he went for takedown"
"Dana White is a bigger star than any of us, I bet he doesn't even watch the ufc"
He is very entertaining in this interview.

e:
"I didn't want to be like "thank you Jesus..blah blah" no one listens to that"

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 8, 2015

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

This is the most apt description of any fighter since walnut condom GSP.

Lamentable dust man.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

minoru suzuki posted:

God bless you.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

No way that's the shortest path to beating GSP, Couture, Penn and Fedor.

Rothwell > Reem > Hunt > Kohsaka > Fedor > Coleman > Shogun > Machida > BJ Penn > Hughes > GSP

E:oh poo poo, missed Couture.

Rothwell > Reem > Hunt > Kohsaka > Fedor > Big Nog > Coleman > Shogun > Machida > BJ Penn > Hughes > GSP

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Ben Gothwell is the GOAT

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Fozzy The Bear posted:

"I didn't want to be like "thank you Jesus..blah blah" no one listens to that"

legalise trt and let's get big ben in a cage with vitor to determine once and for all whether god exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Where is God? Where is God? God is dead and the Reebok corporation has killed him.

• Locked thread