Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

khy posted:

I'll tell you what, Xavier. When fallout 4 comes out if any of these perks makes it into the game I'll make a mod to apply them to normal combat outside of VATS, just for you. OK?

How much you gonna charge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

ymgve posted:

VATS was annoying because of the second long pause after you enter it where you can't even select anything.

oh yeah i forgot about that. tbf that happens regularly with the realtime combat too what with the litany of animation bugs

also i bet they'll find some way to bring paid mods to consoles - there's a whole market of unpaid labour and an audience who will buy literally anything just ripe for exploitation. maybe like a monthly roster of rotating 'community creations'. i could see that making paid mods an actual incentive for people to create better poo poo rather than the pc skyrim fiasco where it just incentivised an rear end in a top hat community to be even bigger assholes to each other

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 8, 2015

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Eh, I find it makes the game a bit dull when combined with how much your numbers determine your abilities.

Uhh, RPGs may not be for you, then.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Maybe they included vats because it was literally the only way to hit a ghoul outside of melee.

A slight curve in the terrain or one loving rock on the ground between you and a ghoul and it was instantaneous 90 degree turns at high speed the whole way in.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Xavier434 posted:

That part is true. If VATS were designed as simply an optional tool that the player can use if they find it more enjoyable then it would be great. The fact that they tied in perks and other stats to the system is what sucked about its implementation. I generally prefer not to use VATS but I do use it regularly enough to the point where I would miss it if it were gone.

There's not like a whole shitload of VATS perks. You can easily make a great build that doesn't rely on VATS at all. If you like VATS, you can take perks that enhance VATS. If you like energy weapons, you can take perks that enhance energy weapons, etc. It adds choice. It's not like they shoehorned you into using it. There's 117 perks and you can choose 25 of them.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

khy posted:

Six of the VATS perks did nothing at all except boost accuracy of VATS attacks. One did nothing more than give you back AP when you killed an enemy in VATS. So obviously those perks aren't what you're talking about.

Of the remaining four, 1 was a generic 15% damage bonus to torsos, 1 was a special unarmed move that could paralyze, and the other two were miss fortune/mysterious stranger.

I'll tell you what, Xavier. When fallout 4 comes out if any of these perks makes it into the game I'll make a mod to apply them to normal combat outside of VATS, just for you. OK?

Sigh...I really think you are getting needlessly aggressive. All of them are appealing to me except the AP and Mysterious stranger one. I enjoy playing games like this with very high accuracy and it is true that there are a lot of perks in the game but most(all?) of the perks that increase accuracy are tied to VATS. I am not sure why the game would be any less fun for someone if a perk provided the player with "+25% accuracy with one-handed weapons" instead of "+25% accuracy in V.A.T.S. with one-handed weapons", but maybe it does? I would be interested to learn why.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

How much you gonna charge?

Three cat GIFs and a cute puppy with big eyes.

I've done some modding for Skyrim, so I'm fairly used to the Creation Kit. This will mostly be an excuse to get off my rear end and learn scripting.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

It's almost like .... none of the Fallouts were very good games in the first place

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

It's almost like .... none of the Fallouts were very good games in the first place

get out of our clubhouse gringo

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

icantfindaname posted:

:eyepop:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Witcher 3 has retroactively made all Bethesda games bad.

They used to be good, but in a post Witcher 3 world they are bad.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
The VATS perks aren't great and aren't remotely desirable in a min max build anyway. A lot of them don't work well together anyway. So you really need bonuses to hit legs, head and torsos?

If you have some compelling need to take them go ahead but they aren't the most desirable perks at all.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

Fiiiine, I guess I'll get round to playing W3 eventually maybe. I tried playing W2 but for some reason got nowhere with it.
Is it well optimized at least? I know my PC could run it but there's a certain threshold where things become slightly too loud/medium graphics settingsy for me to bother with.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chomp8645 posted:

It's been like 5 years since the last fallout.

derra posted:

The VATS perks aren't great and aren't remotely desirable in a min max build anyway. A lot of them don't work well together anyway. So you really need bonuses to hit legs, head and torsos?

If you have some compelling need to take them go ahead but they aren't the most desirable perks at all.

Sniper and Commando combined own a whole lot.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

I don't even dislike regular Bethesda games, Skyrim/Morrowind are good. It's the marriage of Fallout setting and Bethesda game that doesn't do it for me. Something about it just seems fanfiction-y in the worst kind of way

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Maybe if the VATS perks gave you special moves or some poo poo rather than just a percentile increase to hit, they'd be good.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

I don't even dislike regular Bethesda games, Skyrim/Morrowind are good. It's the marriage of Fallout setting and Bethesda game that doesn't do it for me. Something about it just seems fanfiction-y in the worst kind of way

Really? I'm the exact opposite. Huge RPG with guns is awesome, but then you change the guns to bows and add dragons and elves and magic and you lose me.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
New Vegas is in a Bethesda engine but it's not a "Bethesda game" and neither were the first two games.

Speaking of the first two... did anyone consider that VATS is probably included because it was tied to the combat in the original games? I mean you can argue that maybe they "should have" removed it. But they didn't, and it wasn't just made up whole cloth just for the new 3D games.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah I like Skyrim a fair amount, but I totally prefer the Fallout FPSs for some reason. I know people dislike the way Bethesda treats the Fallout setting but even their version is still more exciting to me than Not Middle-earth :shrug:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Volkerball posted:

Really? I'm the exact opposite. Huge RPG with guns is awesome, but then you change the guns to bows and add dragons and elves and magic and you lose me.

Fallout 1 and 2 told a story about the world they were set in, which was mostly the player piecing together its backstory and the backstory of the people in it. Fallout 3+ is fanfiction of that story where they take the characters and bits of the plot from the original and recombine them to create a new, lovely story. Morrowind/Skyrim don't really have stories, they're just big generic fantasy sandboxes that you make your own stories in. If that makes any sense

And besides, even from a perspective of Fallout 3+ being Skyrim with guns, the world in 3 was terribly designed and boring as poo poo, even worse than generic fantasy, and New Vegas wasn't that much better from what I remember. It was a big oval racetrack with some stuff in the mountains on the sides. I don't think anyone could argue with a straight face that New Vegas' map was better than Skyrim's

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Nov 19, 2015

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

lol check out this idiot not fellating the greatest franchise of all time, if you don't think that FO3 is the greatest game of all time then you can just get right out of here mister

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Chomp8645 posted:

This is pretty much my thoughts regarding F3, it was fine when it came out but then NV happened and just outdid it in every conceivable way (outside basic graphics obv).

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Fallout has a lot more instances of good dialogue than TES, and seems to be a lot more about shaping the world around you (well, NV and 2). The Jarl swap is one of the few things that comes to mind in Skyrim, but all that meant was more miscellaneous objectives to complete before you can get away with murder again. In NV you get to choose the type of relations you have with every major community in the game.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Well I'm replaying New Vegas now for a fourth time rather than play the Witcher 3 which I'd just started prior to that, and I never bothered playing the first two Witcher games past the first hour.

But apparently the Witcher 3 is the Best Game Ever Made now or something.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Filthy Casual posted:

Fallout has a lot more instances of good dialogue than TES, and seems to be a lot more about shaping the world around you (well, NV and 2). The Jarl swap is one of the few things that comes to mind in Skyrim, but all that meant was more miscellaneous objectives to complete before you can get away with murder again. In NV you get to choose the type of relations you have with every major community in the game.

I'm sorry, if you think any of the dialogue or writing in NV is good, you should probably go read a real book for once in your life. Morality sliders are not good writing

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Volkerball posted:

All Bethesda games.

sout posted:

Fiiiine, I guess I'll get round to playing W3 eventually maybe. I tried playing W2 but for some reason got nowhere with it.
Is it well optimized at least? I know my PC could run it but there's a certain threshold where things become slightly too loud/medium graphics settingsy for me to bother with.

The optimization is fine it's just that it requires a strong PC to run on good settings. It's also available on console if you're worried about your PC performance (although the console version doesn't look as good as a good PC).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Fallout setting is really cool. Just my two cents.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Volkerball posted:

Yea, and all signs point to us getting a game running on the same engine.

King Vidiot posted:

But apparently the Witcher 3 is the Best Game Ever Made now or something.

Basically

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

I'm sorry, if you think any of the dialogue or writing in NV is good, you should probably go read a real book for once in your life. Morality sliders are not good writing

Wasn't New Vegas more faction based than morality? Are you thinking of the same game I am?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hot Jam posted:

Yea, and all signs point to us getting a game running on the same engine.

don't know the implications of this and i couldn't care less. fo4 will own and own hard and it will be the best game on the market until the next fallout comes out.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

sout posted:

Witcher 3 is so much better than 2.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Filthy Casual posted:

gently caress that poo poo, Oblivion and Morrowind's leveling system was godawful. I don't like being forced into using certain skills to manage how quickly my characters level up, because the alternative is getting absolutely destroyed by a game that grew up too fast around your character. It got better in Skyrim, but god help you if you wanted to build up a secondary combat skill late in the game. Fallout is perfect since you can complete objectives in any fashion you want, and build up skills when you think they'll be most useful.

this motherfucker is retarded

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

Wasn't New Vegas more faction based than morality? Are you thinking of the same game I am?

I got confused by that, too. The only Karma check I remember was the one to do the bad side of Beyond The Beef.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Blue Raider posted:

this motherfucker is retarded

Filthy Casual

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i will never understand goons love of new vegas or even obsidian in general. sure their writing is alright but their games are so ugly and retardedly designed as to barely qualify as video games at all

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

icantfindaname posted:

Good thing New Vegas doesn't use Bethesda's stupid Karma slider then.

Filthy Casual posted:

I got confused by that, too. The only Karma check I remember was the one to do the bad side of Beyond The Beef.

I'd like to know if Bethesda told them they had to put that Karma poo poo in the game?

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 8, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Blue Raider posted:

i will never understand goons love of new vegas or even obsidian in general. sure their writing is alright but their games are so ugly and retardedly designed as to barely qualify as video games at all

Preach it brother. These N'wahs are straight outta Seyda Neen.

(Obsidian is good though)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

Kurtofan posted:

Good thing New Vegas doesn't use Bethesda's stupid Karma slider then.

Faction based is just as dumb and bad, in fact. There's no difference between them, they're reskins of each other.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Raider posted:

fallout could be 2D and i'd play it. the graphics aren't why it's good. no other games give you an open world that you can mold like that. you're just now getting the option to choose dialogue in other games, which fallout has had since 08. i'm expecting big things from fo4. the kind of game you can play for hundreds of hours and still think of something new and fun to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I just played a bit of NV and it's cool.
Welp, that ends this discussion nicely.

• Locked thread