Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

zoux posted:

Last week's episode was arguably the best episode the show has ever done.

Nah that will always be this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

less laughter posted:

Nah that will always be this one

Last nights had a shocking moment that was not even in the book.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

bobkatt013 posted:

So did TRoC. Talisa (Jeyne Westerling) and her baby don't die in the book.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

And are book people Real Fuckin Mad about it.

Now that the shoe is on the other foot I thought that book people would be like "ahhh the irony of us being spoiled as we were so smug about spoiling before" but alas.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

VDay posted:

The season started off a bit slow because a lot of the storylines were in a kind of transitional state, but GoT's been on fire in the last few weeks as it wraps up the season.
GOT has been fine and certainly turned it up in the second half.

Most of any complaining, whining is mostly unfounded (except for how the show treats rape, because they are terrible at it - not the act, but the follow through) because it's mostly just fairweather/casual viewers who tune in to see something CRAZY AND OUTRAGEOUS happen just to be offended at it and not understand why something happened. Just discussion about last night's episode had a million thinly veiled "this is character assassination" complaints from people who clearly weren't paying attention to the show for the last 5 seasons.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nobody does rape well.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

Nobody does rape well.

Outlander certainly went for it. Opinion is pretty split about whether or not they did it well. I was quite impressed with where they went with it, but I get not liking their approach.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

zoux posted:

Now that the shoe is on the other foot I thought that book people would be like "ahhh the irony of us being spoiled as we were so smug about spoiling before" but alas.

This is so great.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

I read the books and saw last night's episode and I don't even remember what you're talking about. :v:

Of course I also think the last two books were irredeemable garbage so any changes are bound to be good in my book.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Outlander certainly went for it. Opinion is pretty split about whether or not they did it well. I was quite impressed with where they went with it, but I get not liking their approach.

Oh was that the mega controversial season finale that everyone was talking about?

I think that if you want to do a good show about sexual assault then it needs to be carefully and sensitively plotted with a lot of input from survivors and experts. It has to more or less be the focus of the show or storyline with time given to the exploration of the culture and mores around it. Incidental rape is always going to set off an internet firestorm.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IRQ posted:

I read the books and saw last night's episode and I don't even remember what you're talking about. :v:

Of course I also think the last two books were irredeemable garbage so any changes are bound to be good in my book.

Then why are you asking how the shows are going?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Then why are you asking how the shows are going?

I was asking how the threads were going.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

Oh was that the mega controversial season finale that everyone was talking about?

I think that if you want to do a good show about sexual assault then it needs to be carefully and sensitively plotted with a lot of input from survivors and experts. It has to more or less be the focus of the show or storyline with time given to the exploration of the culture and mores around it. Incidental rape is always going to set off an internet firestorm.

From what I understand (identity of person raped is as vague as I can make it, but vague book spoilers) in the books the show is based on, the character who was raped deals with the ramifications for pretty much the rest of their life, and is constantly haunted and has to deal with the events of the season finale pretty much forever.

So hopefully this matches more what you're talking about.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

From what I understand (identity of person raped is as vague as I can make it, but vague book spoilers) in the books the show is based on, the character who was raped deals with the ramifications for pretty much the rest of their life, and is constantly haunted and has to deal with the events of the season finale pretty much forever.

So hopefully this matches more what you're talking about.

Are we talking about Outlander or GoT?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

Are we talking about Outlander or GoT?

Outlander.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

But GoT has forced dick removal done so well so it evens out.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Elementary introduced a character for about a season that was abducted and raped as part of her history and I thought they handled it extremely well. It was given the proper weight and treated with the kind of frankness and maturity that you don't see on other TV shows.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Outlander.

I see.

Also, to answer your question in a very broad sense as I haven't seen the show, showing survivors/victims of sexual assault as dealing with the act for the rest of their lives is also controversial, as it might imply that rape survivors are damaged forever and can never move past it. It's just such a touchy subject that is very personal and specific to each individual, and the arguments and discussions about it are so circular and stale, that I would prefer that no TV show ever did a rape plot again.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

I see.

Also, to answer your question in a very broad sense as I haven't seen the show, showing survivors/victims of sexual assault as dealing with the act for the rest of their lives is also controversial, as it might imply that rape survivors are damaged forever and can never move past it. It's just such a touchy subject that is very personal and specific to each individual, and the arguments and discussions about it are so circular and stale, that I would prefer that no TV show ever did a rape plot again.

I see that point, and I'd probably agree. I just appreciate how Outlander took (less vague spoiler as to who was raped) all of the pain, and fear, and loss of sense of self, and guilt, and all that can come with rape and applied it to a man. A big, strong man didn't do a thing to cause it and could do a thing to stop it. In a world of prison rape jokes, something that actually says, "Yeah, men, rape really really loving sucks, doesn't it?" is a pretty big deal for me.

But again, I totally get not liking what they did. It was extremely uncomfortable. As it should be.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Watching Air Force One, how strange.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

VDay posted:

Elementary introduced a character for about a season that was abducted and raped as part of her history and I thought they handled it extremely well. It was given the proper weight and treated with the kind of frankness and maturity that you don't see on other TV shows.
Oh right, there was that. How did I forget.

Reign (on the CW of all places) also did a rape storyline this year. All-in-all I think they also did a fairly good job with it on the personal side, it's when it got tied into the political side of the show it kinda went stupid on occasion. But certainly better than GOT's attempts, but GOT can at least argue it has an ensemble cast and can't devote too much time to it whereas other shows can. But that's not really a good excuse to be honest.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Just. Don't. Do. Rape. Plots.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

zoux posted:

Your precious AV Club gave the Outlander season finale a well-deserved A. It was one of the best episodes of the year and certainly the most memorable.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

zoux posted:

I disagree, but it has to be treated properly and everyone from the creators to the actors have to be on point or it could all fall apart and be labeled as a bad stunt. Not sure if most shows could do it.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

zoux posted:

Kurt Sutter will hunt you down. and rape you

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Another show that did a rape plot without it being capital-S lovely: Banshee. In episode 3 of the first season, an MMA match gets set up and the fighter who's flown in beats up and rapes a waitress. You don't see the vast majority of the assault, just him initially slugging her and dragging her away and then her giving her police report if I remember correctly, but it is definitely treated as a big loving deal, and Hood proceeds to hulk the gently caress out, track the guy down, and break most of the bones in his body when he finds out. The rapist then gets tortured to death offscreen by the big bad's right hand man.

Say what you will about the subtleties of it, but Banshee is not a terribly redpill-friendly show. It's also noteworthy that this is one of two times in the entire show so far that someone gets sexually assaulted, and the other time it's Hood and he bites the guy's cock off and smashes his head in with a free weight.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 8, 2015

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
Welp, I watched episodes 1 and 2 of Banshee and was very much on the fence about continuing. No need, I see.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Another show that did a rape plot without it being capital-S lovely: Banshee. In episode 3 of the first season, an MMA match gets set up and the fighter who's flown in beats up and rapes a waitress. You don't see the vast majority of the assault, just him initially slugging her and dragging her away and then her giving her police report if I remember correctly, but it is definitely treated as a big loving deal, and Hood proceeds to hulk the gently caress out, track the guy down, and break most of the bones in his body when he finds out. The rapist then gets tortured to death offscreen by the big bad's right hand man.

Say what you will about the subtleties of it, but Banshee is not a terribly redpill-friendly show. It's also noteworthy that this is one of two times in the entire show so far that someone gets sexually assaulted, and the other time it's Hood and he bites the guy's cock off and smashes his head in with a free weight.

Dudes beating up rapists isn't terribly progressive or a terribly "good" handling of a rape story. In my opinion anyway, this is such a fraught topic, that's why I'm agin' rape.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You should probably watch him fight the guy in episode 3 because it's pretty nasty.

Also he has the details of the second one off there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Banshee has fantastic, and innovative fight scenes, no doubt.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Want to see an alternate universe vampire Batman take on an even more deranged than usual Harley Quinn? Who am I kidding, of course you do.

Made by Bruce Timm, no less. :nws:, it's pretty gory.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Jon Do posted:

Welp, I watched episodes 1 and 2 of Banshee and was very much on the fence about continuing. No need, I see.

Your loss.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Dudes beating up rapists isn't terribly progressive or a terribly "good" handling of a rape story. In my opinion anyway, this is such a fraught topic, that's why I'm agin' rape.

Literally no one cares what you think about the "progressiveness" of a rape, you loving weirdo.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

hcreight posted:

Want to see an alternate universe vampire Batman take on an even more deranged than usual Harley Quinn? Who am I kidding, of course you do.

Made by Bruce Timm, no less. :nws:, it's pretty gory.

Eww. That was weird.

edit: Oh and bad. Quite bad.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Has anyone called dibs on making a Mr. Robot thread yet? I might cobble something together if no one else has anything planned.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

I was very careful with my wording: "not capital-S lovely" is not the same thing as "fantastic and progressive." Unlike GoT, it never once expects us to sympathize with a rapist or not sympathize with a rape victim. While the victim is not a major character (and in fact, I'm pretty sure she's a one-off), the viewer is expected to immediately empathize with her and be completely horrified by what the rapist did, and the rapist getting his rear end kicked is played as emotional catharsis for both the viewer and Hood more than anything else.

I just threw out the second one because I was about to be like "that's the only time they've ever even touched it and they did OK" but then I remembered Hood got assaulted in prison and whooped that guy's rear end, too and wanted to preempt other mention of that scene. It's been a while since I've seen the first two seasons (I only know what happened in 1x03 off the top of my head because the Hood vs. rapist fight is basically where the show kicks into high gear) so someone else can totally correct me on the details if they want.

e: I will give Banshee progressive points for having a lot of really kickass female characters, though. Carrie pretty much splits protagonist duty with Hood after the first season, Siobhan and Nola are fun as hell RIP, Rebecca is a ridiculously compelling villain (especially as her arc gets more and more batshit), ADA Medding is a great foil to Hood, and while Deva started out kinda uninteresting and stock she's been getting more and more depth every season.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 8, 2015

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Okay, now I'm curious. I guess I'll have to see how much of it is good like the pilot, and how much is very, very dumb like the second episode.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jon Do posted:

Okay, now I'm curious. I guess I'll have to see how much of it is good like the pilot, and how much is very, very dumb like the second episode.

It gets way better after the first season.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jon Do posted:

Give it till 1x03. If you at least like the fight in that episode, keep going. The fight in 1x03 is where Banshee takes the kid gloves off and basically turns into The Raid: The Series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

corn in the bible posted:

IRQ confirmed as brony

Dude we knew this years ago

IRQ :3::hf::3:

e: 3rd Rock From The Sun got added to Netflix so I'm giving it a rewatch. It's still SO GOOD!

Rarity fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 8, 2015

• Locked thread