Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Ribsauce posted:

Can anyone recommend some good youtube videos for learning to hit fairway woods and hybrids? For a guy who totally sucks.

Background: I was never good at golf, a typical guy who shot like 120 and sucked. A month ago I played again for the first time in 2 years, shot a 108 (best score ever), and yesterday shot a 104. I am taking a 5 lesson series called Get Golf Ready. The first week was putting (the one thing I am not terrible at).

I am OK with irons 8 and up (including wedges) and OK most of the time with the 7 and 6. I played yesterday pretty much hitting only my 7 iron and longer. I got paired with a 78 year old yesterday and just hit off the short tees with him. I shot a 104 but the aerated greens cost me at least 3 putts.

I really do believe I can break 100 (from the real tees) before the summer is out, and when I do this will be me at the 19th hole

If you're struggling to break 100 I wouldn't even try to hit your fairway metal off the deck - just use them to tee off when appropriate. I'm a mediocre player (14 index) and I rarely hit my woods off the deck, it's the hardest "standard" shot in golf imo. Like Nerdrock said, for hybrids use your iron swing, meaning you hit down on the ball instead of trying to sweep it. And don't try to kill the ball, swing easy. That was a big mental hurdle for me starting out, I was always trying to kill the ball with my longer clubs which causes all sorts of problems.

Shorter clubs are easier to hit, this is the case for every golfer including tour pros, so it's no surprise that you are better with your mid-short irons. The longer the shaft on the club, the more magnified any swing faults or mistakes will be. So use that to your advantage.

I was a 100+ shooter like you only a few years ago, so I'll share some tips a buddy gave me that helped me start breaking 100 consistently:
  • Bogies are your friend. Remember that before every shot.
  • Off the tee: anywhere in the fairway is good. If you can't keep it on or near the fwy with your driver, put the drat thing away and tee off with the longest club you can hit consistently.
  • Approach shots: anywhere near the green (close enough to chip) is good.
  • Chipping: just get the ball on the green so you can putt. Don't get cute. Like if you short side yourself and maybe have to clear a bunker to get at the flag, just go for the safe play and get it on the putting surface no matter what.
  • Long putts: imagine a 3 foot circle around the hole and try to get it inside that circle.
  • Never try to follow a poor shot with a great one. Take your medicine. When you're in jail, get out of jail. Don't be afraid to punch out, hit it backwards, etc.

E: 85 for Tiger Woods today... career worst

ironlung fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I was watching yesterday and he looked like he was in pain, unhappy at minus 2, I don't get what he's doing.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I didn't get to see his round yesterday except for the last two shots he played (getting up and down on 18 to make the cut), but somebody on the Tiger Tracker feed said he was dealing with a blister on his hand today. Anybody get to watch to confirm/deny?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If anyone is in the market for Phil Mickelson's putter... looking to get $100 shipped.

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007
Anyone have an opinion on the new driving irons that are out? I'm looking to replace the old 1 iron in my bag but want something with a similar low flight because of the ~fun~ wind conditions at the courses I play.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kameh posted:

I didn't get to see his round yesterday except for the last two shots he played (getting up and down on 18 to make the cut), but somebody on the Tiger Tracker feed said he was dealing with a blister on his hand today. Anybody get to watch to confirm/deny?

Watching his highlights (loose usage of the term) through the first 11 or 12 didn't seem to show any blister pain. Or at least he definitely didn't act like it. Just some terrible shot making. Inaccurate off the tees, short game was ... abysmal to say the least. And he couldn't find a putt to save his life.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

aehiilrs posted:

Anyone have an opinion on the new driving irons that are out? I'm looking to replace the old 1 iron in my bag but want something with a similar low flight because of the ~fun~ wind conditions at the courses I play.

I've had the Taylor Made RSI 2 iron for a while. Quite impressed with it. Considering the loft it's pretty forgiving. I tee it up and get a fairly high ball flight but I am tall and its my typical shape. Kinda wish I bought the 1 iron instead :)

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

aehiilrs posted:

http://wishongolf.com/new-590dih-driving-irons/

Waiting for my fitter to get these in, so I can get my hands on them. Will report back.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
The end of this memorial tourney is pretty drat good. Sudden death on the 18th

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I've been meaning to go to The Memorial for years now. Muirfield is gorgeous.

Also I finally did it you guys. I took the plunge.

I joined a country club :ohdear:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

DJExile posted:

I joined a country club :ohdear:

Congrats, give us the deets!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

Congrats, give us the deets!

Toledo Country Club. Really nice place that they keep in great shape. Not much up and down, and 2 holes are up against a major roadway, but the last 3 holes run alongside the Maumee River and look spectacular. Should be perfect for taking out prospects and clients to have a good time, but not get beat up too hard by the course. Easily walkable if you want. I've played it quite a few times as a guest and finally decided to jump. Only about 10 minutes from my house and barely 15 from work.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Jealous. There aren't any courses close enough to me to warrant a membership. It would be an hour one way to the nearest course for which I'd consider a membership.

Got my first official summer round in.

I'm pretty terrible at preparation. I don't hit range balls before warming up, nor do I actually hit range balls between rounds. The former is because I usually get to the course too late to do more than chip and putt, and the latter is because if it's not raining, I'd rather go play golf. I found a stretching routine for golf on Men's Health last night, and it's the warmup to a 4 week golf workout program. I'll do the workout tonight, but I just did the stretching a few hours before my round this morning. I felt pretty good on the first tee.

I drove the ball pretty well. Only missed two fairways, and one of the two misses was still playable (the other being a fairway bunker on a par 5). 10 greens, 26 putts.

Hole 2 - 3 putt for bogey (hit a 6i when I needed a 7i)
Hole 3 - Driver - 3i hybrid to back of green, chip to a few feet for birdie
Hole 5 - 20 footer for birdie from the front fringe.
Hole 6 - Decent drive, fatted a 6i enough to leave a gap wedge instead of a sand wedge for my 3rd. I think I fatted my third as well, but I got away with it. Made a 15 footer.
Hole 8 - Mashed a drive over some bunkers, had a 40 yard pitch, hit it to 3 feet for birdie.
Hole 9 - Decent enough drive, pushed a 5i nearly into a water hazard near the green. Way too easy on my chip, couldn't make a 12 footer for par.
Hole 10 - Driver, sand wedge to 7 feet for birdie.
Hole 11 - Hit a good drive, then nearly lost my 3 wood approach into a hazard. Hit an okay pitch onto the green, but I didn't give my birdie putt enough steam.
Hole 12 - Pushed a 3i hybrid right, then after watching the old guy in our group (who also works at the course) play a neat, sloping pitch from where I was, I played an even better shot and almost holed it for birdie. I'll take a par on that hole any day.
Hole 13 - First fairway I missed all day. Found a fairway bunker, laid up to 160, then blocked another 7i. Really short-sided myself. Had to carry a bunker, then it was straight downhill to the pin. Hit a flop that carried 6 feet past the hole, and I made that for par after a teach from the third guy in our group.
Hole 14 - Tried to muscle an 8i, yanked it left. Up and down for par.
Hole 15 - Very nearly lost my drive in a pampas bush, still had a clear shot at the green. Hit a big SW (for me) from 110, and my putt was pretty straight forward. Maybe 20 feet, uphill, left to right. I couldn't decide how much break there was, so I just hammered it 10 feet past. Missed that one as well. 3 putts are the worst.
Hole 16 and 17 - Good tee shots, sand wedges to 8 feet and 12 feet. Caught the back right lips each time and came out sideways. THOSE are also the worst.
Hole 18 - Decent drive, tried to fade a 7i to a tucked pin but started it too far right. Pulled the pin and tried to hole the chip, but couldn't get it to fall.

Wanted to finish in the 60s, but I really wasn't hitting my irons as accurately as I needed. I think it's not so much a swing flaw that's causing a push, though that's my miss. When I don't play regularly, I have a tendency to set up closed to the target. So I'm pretty much hitting slight fades (my current shot shape) on the wrong line. I should work it out while I'm off during the summer, but again, I'm a punk who'd rather play than put in the time on the range.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 8, 2015

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Also, meant to say thanks to thebushcommander. I got those shorts in the other day. Wore the grey UA ones today, actually. I like them!

And zinc68, I'll be honest - I have no idea how Sergio's preparing for the US Open, but as well as he played in the Players, I should have extended our golf ball bet to that tournament, too. Are we still on for the other majors? Lowest score for the tournament between Sergio/Tiger? If Tiger doesn't work out his driving issues, I'll be looking forward to some TaylorMade TPs in my mailbox.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

Toledo Country Club. Really nice place that they keep in great shape. Not much up and down, and 2 holes are up against a major roadway, but the last 3 holes run alongside the Maumee River and look spectacular. Should be perfect for taking out prospects and clients to have a good time, but not get beat up too hard by the course. Easily walkable if you want. I've played it quite a few times as a guest and finally decided to jump. Only about 10 minutes from my house and barely 15 from work.
Totally gonna hit you up for a round if I'm in the area.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm playing down in Carmel, CA at Spyglass which I've never played before and the new revised Poppy Hills in two weeks. Gonna get my rear end handed to me but at least the coastal weather should be fantastic in between 8's and 4 putt's. Lucky to not be paying full list of $400 list for Spyglass since it's a tournament.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Kameh posted:

Wow great round. I can see that putting is your strength. I struggle getting ~30 putts a round.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

Keyser S0ze posted:

I'm playing down in Carmel, CA at Spyglass which I've never played before and the new revised Poppy Hills in two weeks
When I played Poppy last year, the fairways were faster than most greens I've played on. We were putting from 20ft off with no problems.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Kameh posted:

Jealous. There aren't any courses close enough to me to warrant a membership. It would be an hour one way to the nearest course for which I'd consider a membership.

I'm pretty terrible at preparation. I don't hit range balls before warming up, nor do I actually hit range balls between rounds. The former is because I usually get to the course too late to do more than chip and putt, and the latter is because if it's not raining, I'd rather go play golf. I found a stretching routine for golf on Men's Health last night, and it's the warmup to a 4 week golf workout program. I'll do the workout tonight, but I just did the stretching a few hours before my round this morning. I felt pretty good on the first tee.

I drove the ball pretty well. Only missed two fairways, and one of the two misses was still playable (the other being a fairway bunker on a par 5). 10 greens, 26 putts.

Hole 2 - 3 putt for bogey (hit a 6i when I needed a 7i)
Hole 3 - Driver - 3i hybrid to back of green, chip to a few feet for birdie
Hole 5 - 20 footer for birdie from the front fringe.
Hole 6 - Decent drive, fatted a 6i enough to leave a gap wedge instead of a sand wedge for my 3rd. I think I fatted my third as well, but I got away with it. Made a 15 footer.
Hole 8 - Mashed a drive over some bunkers, had a 40 yard pitch, hit it to 3 feet for birdie.
Hole 9 - Decent enough drive, pushed a 5i nearly into a water hazard near the green. Way too easy on my chip, couldn't make a 12 footer for par.
Hole 10 - Driver, sand wedge to 7 feet for birdie.
Hole 11 - Hit a good drive, then nearly lost my 3 wood approach into a hazard. Hit an okay pitch onto the green, but I didn't give my birdie putt enough steam.
Hole 12 - Pushed a 3i hybrid right, then after watching the old guy in our group (who also works at the course) play a neat, sloping pitch from where I was, I played an even better shot and almost holed it for birdie. I'll take a par on that hole any day.
Hole 13 - First fairway I missed all day. Found a fairway bunker, laid up to 160, then blocked another 7i. Really short-sided myself. Had to carry a bunker, then it was straight downhill to the pin. Hit a flop that carried 6 feet past the hole, and I made that for par after a teach from the third guy in our group.
Hole 14 - Tried to muscle an 8i, yanked it left. Up and down for par.
Hole 15 - Very nearly lost my drive in a pampas bush, still had a clear shot at the green. Hit a big SW (for me) from 110, and my putt was pretty straight forward. Maybe 20 feet, uphill, left to right. I couldn't decide how much break there was, so I just hammered it 10 feet past. Missed that one as well. 3 putts are the worst.
Hole 16 and 17 - Good tee shots, sand wedges to 8 feet and 12 feet. Caught the back right lips each time and came out sideways. THOSE are also the worst.
Hole 18 - Decent drive, tried to fade a 7i to a tucked pin but started it too far right. Pulled the pin and tried to hole the chip, but couldn't get it to fall.

Wanted to finish in the 60s, but I really wasn't hitting my irons as accurately as I needed. I think it's not so much a swing flaw that's causing a push, though that's my miss. When I don't play regularly, I have a tendency to set up closed to the target. So I'm pretty much hitting slight fades (my current shot shape) on the wrong line. I should work it out while I'm off during the summer, but again, I'm a punk who'd rather play than put in the time on the range.

Nice round. You got up and down 7/8. That's pretty drat awesome.

I shot, respectively, 84 and 81 this weekend. Was hitting the ball great and just smashing my driver, but I couldn't convert it into a good score. I pitched/chipped the ball very poorly. I've been practicing it a lot and my actual technique has gotten a ton better, but it's still spotty on the course. It's not like I'm chunking it, more that I just haven't been hitting it inside 8 feet.

Good news is that I'm very close to bringing it all together. I think I could get to scratch in the next six months (currently a 2.1 index) but it won't happen if I can't chip or pitch.

I did decide to buy new wedges. The grooves on my 56 and 60 are totally shot, plus they're -1/2 inch below standard (the rest of my clubs are standard) and the swing weight is way off on my 52 and 60 (they're d1. I like mine at d6). So who knows, maybe it's the arrow instead of the archer.

I went with Calloway. I've never played anything but vokeys, so it'll at least be interesting.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Omerta posted:

Nice round. You got up and down 7/8. That's pretty drat awesome.

I shot, respectively, 84 and 81 this weekend. Was hitting the ball great and just smashing my driver, but I couldn't convert it into a good score. I pitched/chipped the ball very poorly. I've been practicing it a lot and my actual technique has gotten a ton better, but it's still spotty on the course. It's not like I'm chunking it, more that I just haven't been hitting it inside 8 feet.

Good news is that I'm very close to bringing it all together. I think I could get to scratch in the next six months (currently a 2.1 index) but it won't happen if I can't chip or pitch.

I did decide to buy new wedges. The grooves on my 56 and 60 are totally shot, plus they're -1/2 inch below standard (the rest of my clubs are standard) and the swing weight is way off on my 52 and 60 (they're d1. I like mine at d6). So who knows, maybe it's the arrow instead of the archer.

I went with Calloway. I've never played anything but vokeys, so it'll at least be interesting.

Thanks man. I'm hesitant to agree with Halo14 about putting being my strong suit. Driving and chipping are probably the two best parts of my game. Good drives give me nice looks at pins, and chipping helps cover up mistakes with approaches. Also, the better I chip it, the less I have to rely on my putter to save me. I'm not awful at it, but I *wish* putting were my strong suit. I can always think of a few putts per round I should have made.

Did you get the PM grind on the Callaways? I chipped around with a 60 degree on the putting green at Golfsmith. It's got a taller-toe and less-rounded look than a traditional tear-drop wedge. I think they're trying to emulate old Ping wedges that are exempt from the groove rules (is that still a thing)? Not a bad wedge, but I prefer my Rotex 58* from Cleveland. I've always liked the heft of a Cleveland wedge.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Totally gonna hit you up for a round if I'm in the area.

Right on :toot:

Keyser S0ze posted:

I'm playing down in Carmel, CA at Spyglass which I've never played before and the new revised Poppy Hills in two weeks. Gonna get my rear end handed to me but at least the coastal weather should be fantastic in between 8's and 4 putt's. Lucky to not be paying full list of $400 list for Spyglass since it's a tournament.

Oh man take pictures of Spyglass so I can live vicariously though you. That's a drat dream course of mine.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Soooo close to buying new irons.. I thought I had it narrowed down, but now I am back all over the place.

Rsi TP's or RSi2's I hit them both equally well, but the TP's I might be able to "grow" with a little more

Apex Pro's still hit awesome and feel great, but expecting their replacement to drop in a few months and I have a weird reservation about Callaway clubs.

Mizuno MP-15, 54, 64 all hit awesome etc.

I don't know what to do.. It's basically down to just pulling the trigger on something. I've spent maybe 5 hours total on the sim switching back and forth between all of them with 6/7 irons on each set. Rsi 2 i hit stupid far on the sim with a decent ball flight. We're talking like a 200 yard 6 iron or more. The TP version is more like 190. The Mizu's all come in with a lower ball flight and I had a slight fade with all of them about 10 yards off center, but the distance is more in line with what I am used to like 185-190 6 iron, 175-180 7 iron etc.

They all had different shaft types which is probably the biggest thing in the flight difference. I need to get fit and pull the trigger.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

Soooo close to buying new irons.. I thought I had it narrowed down, but now I am back all over the place.

Rsi TP's or RSi2's I hit them both equally well, but the TP's I might be able to "grow" with a little more

Apex Pro's still hit awesome and feel great, but expecting their replacement to drop in a few months and I have a weird reservation about Callaway clubs.

Mizuno MP-15, 54, 64 all hit awesome etc.

I don't know what to do.. It's basically down to just pulling the trigger on something. I've spent maybe 5 hours total on the sim switching back and forth between all of them with 6/7 irons on each set. Rsi 2 i hit stupid far on the sim with a decent ball flight. We're talking like a 200 yard 6 iron or more. The TP version is more like 190. The Mizu's all come in with a lower ball flight and I had a slight fade with all of them about 10 yards off center, but the distance is more in line with what I am used to like 185-190 6 iron, 175-180 7 iron etc.

They all had different shaft types which is probably the biggest thing in the flight difference. I need to get fit and pull the trigger.

If it's me, a low flight with a fade would bug me with my irons, but that's me. I want irons getting a ball up high and dropping more straight down. I think you could get adjusted to distance on new clubs more easily than to potentially a new flight path.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

DJExile posted:

If it's me, a low flight with a fade would bug me with my irons, but that's me. I want irons getting a ball up high and dropping more straight down. I think you could get adjusted to distance on new clubs more easily than to potentially a new flight path.

True, I hit the ball stupid high anyway, so lower wouldn't be the end of the world. The guy watching the monitor was surprised I hit a 6 iron so high and long, but I think he was equally surprised at seeing someone in the store that could hit the ball. I gather most people he watches every day are weekend warriors where 220 yard drive is awesome and not the worst thing ever like it is for me.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Kameh posted:

Thanks man. I'm hesitant to agree with Halo14 about putting being my strong suit. Driving and chipping are probably the two best parts of my game. Good drives give me nice looks at pins, and chipping helps cover up mistakes with approaches. Also, the better I chip it, the less I have to rely on my putter to save me. I'm not awful at it, but I *wish* putting were my strong suit. I can always think of a few putts per round I should have made.

Did you get the PM grind on the Callaways? I chipped around with a 60 degree on the putting green at Golfsmith. It's got a taller-toe and less-rounded look than a traditional tear-drop wedge. I think they're trying to emulate old Ping wedges that are exempt from the groove rules (is that still a thing)? Not a bad wedge, but I prefer my Rotex 58* from Cleveland. I've always liked the heft of a Cleveland wedge.

Nice. Chipping has always been a weakness for me. I consider myself to be a great putter, so getting chips inside 10 feet should significantly increase my up and down percentage.

How do you like to practice chipping?

I got a sick deal for a set on golfwrx: 52/56/60 basically brand new cally forged for $130. I have no idea what the grind is. The main reason for the switch was to try higher bounce wedges and get uniform length and swing weight. Also, these have s300 shafts, and I always wanted to try less stiff shafts in my wedges. I still may sub them out for steelfibers.

I hit the new cally wedges and really liked them. I hit a very high ball and seemed to get a lower trajectory with them. Plus I take trenches with my vokeys; the callaways got me way closer to dollar bills.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Omerta posted:

Nice. Chipping has always been a weakness for me. I consider myself to be a great putter, so getting chips inside 10 feet should significantly increase my up and down percentage.

I got a sick deal for a set on golfwrx: 52/56/60 basically brand new cally forged for $130. I have no idea what the grind is. The main reason for the switch was to try higher bounce wedges and get uniform length and swing weight. Also, these have s300 shafts, and I always wanted to try less stiff shafts in my wedges. I still may sub them out for steelfibers.

I hit the new cally wedges and really liked them. I hit a very high ball and seemed to get a lower trajectory with them. Plus I take trenches with my vokeys; the callaways got me way closer to dollar bills.

Count me in the 'good/great at chipping, mediocre to bad at putting' crowd(if that crowd exists here).

The best think about practicing chipping and putting is it's normally free!

I always play a game to keep myself entertained when I practice chipping. I drop 3 or 4 balls somewhere off the practice green and have a competition against myself. Goal is to get up and down, whichever ball has the highest stroke total is 'eliminated'(put in my pocket until the next round). One tie all tie for highest stroke count.

If a ball gets up and down then it's next chip is from the fringe(or a favorable location), if it takes 3 strokes to get in then the next chip is from the rough, if it takes 4(and it's still not eliminated) then it gets an unfavorable lie in the rough.

I used to do this for hours at a time and it always kept me interested. You also get a lot of practice on those 3-12 foot putts.

The best practice though, is find a buddy to go with and play the up and down game for $.25 or $.50 a hole(more if you're a gambler). Take turns picking a spot to try and get up and down from(this is great if you have access to a big practice green with lots of pin locations and maybe some bunkers).

Either do closest to pin or fewest strokes. That will help you chip/pitch under pressure, because hitting a chip off of a tight lie with money or a score on the line is a lot harder than just doing it by yourself on the practice green.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

big practice green with lots of pin locations and maybe some bunkers).

This is huge if it's available. Dump a whole crate/shagger full of balls into the bunker and hit every single one out, no matter how close they are to others. It's amazing what this does to your sand game in short order.

It's also amazing how quickly it gets you completely covered in bunker sand :v:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Omerta posted:

I'm probably in DoctaFun's crowd of good/great chipping and mediocre/bad at putting, but closer to average at putting. I'll make a few every now and then, but it's never enough.

I've lived in an apartment for a number of years now, so I don't have a backyard or anything to chip around. But when I still lived with my parents, I would hit chips and short pitches to a telephone pole at the edge of the yard. Then before I moved out (7 years ago?), I started practicing on landing chips and pitches to specific spots in the yard. Once I trained myself to pick landing spots for chips and pitches inside 40 yards, my up and down game dramatically improved.

When I'm at the course before a round, I'll do something pretty similar to what DoctaFun does. I'll go to the chipping green and try to get up and down as often as possible. I'll start by dropping 3 balls on the fringe. When I get all 3 up and down, I'll move back into the rough, and try to get all 3 up and down again. I'll continue this until I get bored, then I go practice putting or head to the first tee if it's time to go.

Today I played a course that had punched and sanded their greens about a week ago, so they were smooth enough but still gritty on the surface. This made chips and pitches check up fast.

Statistically, a carbon copy round from yesterday. 12 fairways (one missed long and in fine shape, the other a horrible skeezer to the trees on the right), 10 greens, 27 putts. This course is quite a bit tougher (and longer) than the course I played yesterday. I don't feel I drove the ball AS well today, but my approaches were a little more accurate if a little longer into the greens (less wedges, more irons). I had a bit of a crisis near the beginning of the back 9 where I started second guessing my grip, stance, alignment, forearm rotation, and pretty much everything else. I calmed down with a birdie on 14.

Hole 1 - Should have been a missed fairway here, but it's a downhill tee shot, and the right rough is basically a 300 yard long hill that slopes back towards the fairway. Most shots to the right roll down into the fairway, which is what mine did. I went for the green in two with my 4 wood. I fatted it and left maybe 60 yards to the green. Knocked it to 15 feet and made it for birdie, which is a good way to start.
Hole 2 - Drove it just through a dogleg left. Pushed a 9i but left it pin high, then hit my first weird chip. Normally it would have been too aggressive, but it checked up in a hurry and stopped a few feet from the hole. I remembered this for later in the round.
Hole 3 - Hit a decent 7i to the right side of the green, up against the collar. I did what I did yesterday over a similar putt - tried to figure out how much effective break there was on a relatively straight forward putt, and then I hammered it 10 feet past. Didn't make the par putt.
Hole 4 - Got stuck and launched one into the trees on the right. Tried to hit a hero 4 wood through a chute in the trees, but I just topped it back into the fairway. Looked like a decent punch out if you didn't see the club in my hands. Hit a PW below the hole, but my par putt stayed on the high side.
Hole 5 - Better drive, tried to hit a fade 7 to a tucked pin. Right shot shape, but I started it a little too left. My ball was maybe 4 inches onto the fringe. Two putt from there.
Hole 6 - This is a booger of a hole. 90 degree dogleg left that ends at 280. I hit an okay drive to the corner, leaving 202 yards. Hit a 5i that came up a little short. Chipped up and knocked in a 3 footer for par.
Hole 7 - I was talked into a shorter club off this tee than I intended. Left myself like 170 when I should have been inside 120. Still hit a decent 7i (green is lower elevated than the fairway), banged my birdie try off the back of the hole. Couldn't get the speed down on some of these putts, and I started wondering if the mower guy ahead of us was cutting the greens before we got to them.
Hole 8 - Hit a 4i to the center of the green, big sloping birdie putt that I was happy to stop within a few feet. Par is great on this hole.
Hole 9 - This hole is pretty ridiculous from the tees. I've only played one other 600 yard par 5. This one plays a little uphill, out of a chute, and it was also into the wind.

I ripped a driver...and made the fairway by 15 yards. 255 yards off the tee, leaving a long rear end way to the hole. Hit a 4 wood, then a PW to 12 feet. Made the putt!

Hole 10 - Driver - skeezy hybrid to the right sand trap. Straightforward shot to 6 feet past, rolled it in for par.
Hole 11 - Driver, then chunked a 6i because I was sure I was going to nail the mower who was parked on the edge of the green and waving me on. Pitched on, made my putt, and glared at the guy as I left.
Hole 12 - Pushed a 4i, up and down for par.
Hole 13 - Cleared my head, decided I shouldn't be trying to "fix" anything off the tee. Went back to my normal grip (neutral left, weak right), aimed up left center and hit a nice power fade. Hit a similarly shaped iron shot, but found the right edge of the green. Two putt par.
Hole 14 - Hit an easy driver to the right side of a narrow fairway. Had 101, then I hit a wedge I was sure was thinned - hardly took a divot. But it had that flat, mid-traj on it that the pros always have. Ball landed past the pin and spun a few feet back. Left me a 5 footer, made it for birdie.
Hole 15 - Hit a 4i hybrid to right front apron, ball cratered into the ground. Popped it out, cleaned it (is that legal?), then nearly holed my chip. Tapped in for par.
Hole 16 - Maybe the nastiest par 4 I've ever played. Hole is in 3 segments. First fairway ends at 290 with a creek and turtlebacked on the left and right sides. Next one starts at 330 (lol), ends with a pond at 400. Last one is way uphill to the green. Hit a drive to the end of the first fairway, then finally squared up on a hybrid and hit it decently. Birdie try was just high and just hard enough to finish right behind the hole.
Hole 17 - Rolling dogleg left par 5. Thought I hit a decent fade off the corner...only went 240 Can't hit a reliable draw, and I wasn't far enough into the corner to go at the green, so so I just hit a hybrid from the left side to the right side of the fairway...found a sand trap. Thinned a gap wedge off some pretty tight sand. Had a pitch from 10 yards past the green, misjudged my landing spot. Should have landed it just past the fringe, landed it on the fringe. It still rolled down to 8 feet, and I was lucky to curl it in for par.
Hole 18 - Dogleg right with a big pond on the right. Hit a hard fade to just behind the 150 pole. Hit an 8i maybe 20 feet right of the pin (because sometimes i forget to aim), didn't hit my birdie putt high enough.

Overall, more of the same from yesterday. I'm playing a pretty tough course tomorrow, and I would gladly take anything under 75.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

I like how you claim to be "mediocre/bad" at putting and then in the same post, there's a card showing a round with 27 putts in which you only failed to get up and down once when you missed the green.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

ironlung posted:

I like how you claim to be "mediocre/bad" at putting and then in the same post, there's a card showing a round with 27 putts in which you only failed to get up and down once when you missed the green.

That's what I meant about being a good putter. Surely he's not putting every chip to tap in distance. Everyone has trouble with the longer putts.

Edit. Well not Jordan Spieth ;)

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah, if you're 12 greens and sub-30 putts, you're at least a good putter.

Here's the front 9 from my last round this weekend. Like I said earlier, I'm really striking the ball well but can't convert it to scoring. Not sure if my shot selection is off or if I'm just in kinda a weird spot right now.

I can't remember the back 9, but here's what a pretty typical round looks like. Course is Marietta Country Club. Greens are rolling in between 12 and 13. Greenskeeper woke up on the wrong side of the bed; every pin is tucked behind something.

1. 427 par 4, narrow tree-lined fairway. Hit driver to 106. Hit what I think is a perfect sand wedge and just barely go over, really short sided myself in a bunker behind the green. Hit it out to 20 feet (bout the best I could do) and 2 putt for bogey (+1). Looking back, the second shot plays downhill, but it didn't look like that from the fairway.

2. 178 par 3. The pin is wedged between a false front and a shelf, so I play the safe shot to the right side of the green. Have a 30 footer, easy 2 putt. (+1)

3. 348 par 4. Dog leg right. If you carry it about 295 and high enough, you can clear some trees and drive the green. I think why not and hit driver. Ball mark is 10 feet left of the flag, and I'm barely off. Pin is on a top shelf and green slopes away from me, so I kinda dink a putter to about 8 feet below to the hole to ensure I won't run down the slope and leave myself an uphill putt. Birdie putt lips out. (+1).

4. 203 par 3. Pin is tucked back left. I aim middle and hit it there. 30 footer with about 6 feet of right to left break. Tap in for par. (+1).

5. 413 par 4. Another tree lined hole where the play is probably 3 wood to stay out of trouble. I'm hitting my driver well, so I stay with it and just crush it down the left side of the fairway. 90 yard approach. Hit an easy 56 that lands on top of the green and backspins down the false front. My putt from the collection area lips out, easy par. (+1).

6. 451 par 4. Everyone else plays this as a par 5. It's significantly uphill. Hit driver to 170ish. Take an extra club and fly the green. Chip it to 15 feet (it was either take my medicine or try a really really hard flop shot), miss the putt and have a tap in for bogey. (+2).

7. 453 par 4. Really hard hole, very narrow tree lined fairway but plays downhill. I pull my driver about 20 yards but get a lucky bounce off a tree, so I'm just in the rough. Hit 8 iron to 15 feet and the putt is just a touch high. (+2)

8. 558 par 5. Hit a good drive but am semi blocked out from going for it. Hit an easy 6 iron to about 115 yards. The pin is in a borderline unfair spot--just hanging on the top of a false front. I hit it to 8 feet and am still basically forced to lag it so I won't go off the front. (+2).

9. 446 par 4. Hit a perfect drive down the left side of the fairway. I have 145 in and decide to take some off a 9 rather than try to force a PW there. I take a little too much off and hit it in a greenside bunker. My sand shot lips out, gimme par (+2).

So that's 37 but what seems like very little offense. I made a conscious effort over the past few rounds to do less pin seeking and more "just get the GIR." Maybe I'm overdoing it. I could have had a few things go a bit differently and shoot 34, but it seems like that's how it's going every round.

I'm playing on Saturday and Sunday this weekend, so maybe I'll turn the corner, make some birdies, and shoot low 70s.

I registered to play in the U.S. Mid-am qualifier, which is in September. My semi-unrealistic goal is to qualify, but my real goal is to break 80.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
This thread can be discouraging. I hit a bucket of balls a couple of times a week, play at least once our twice a week and I can barely break 100.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

daslog posted:

This thread can be discouraging. I hit a bucket of balls a couple of times a week, play at least once our twice a week and I can barely break 100.

When I break 110, it will be a milestone. I can't wait until I learn to not just armswing

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

daslog posted:

Man breaking 100 would make me happier than Tiger Woods getting asked to star on The Bachelor.

Mind you this is the first year Ive had a membership (my graduation present courtesy of my awesome dad :3:) in... 20 years! Up until now Ive been lucky to get out more than 3-4 times a year so yeah, Im a bit rusty. The membership also got me into the OGA, so I now have a handicap too. Ive been told I have an amazing swing but no sense of direction and a bad judge of distance. And this weird fear of hitting the ground with the club so I scald the ball basically every other shot.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Sataere posted:

When I break 110, it will be a milestone. I can't wait until I learn to not just armswing

I tought myself to not armswing this winter. This has been the most frustrating start to a season ever, because while I spent a LOT of time doing that, it apparently wasn't enough. I basically totally reset any and all golfing progress over my first 2 years playing. I have my new swing, a new set of clubs, AND a crappy grip from carpal tunnel surgery. I have no loving idea how my shots are going to go, but when I make solid contact, I get a LOT more distance over my previous. This time last year my 7i went a pathetic 135y, now it's closer to 160y. Last year I was satisfied with my progress of shooting 105-110, and now i'm back up to 120-125. I committed to my new swing and will not go back, realize it'll pay off hopefully by the end of the year, but right now it's very, very depressing.

The videos I used for inspiration are on youtube, if you search for Paul Wilson's effortless golf swing. Using my Optishot to note progress, my 6i swings went from around 70mph to 90mph.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 10, 2015

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I've seen that Paul Wilson video. It actually worked well for me. (When I don't regress to arm swinging that is)

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Sataere posted:

Now that is what I am talking about! I had never broken 120 and did 108 and 104 back to back in the last 3 weeks. The 104 was playing from the old man tees with a 78 year old. I only used a 7 iron but that still probably doesn't count. The 108 was totally legit. I counted penalty strokes and everything. You'll get there.

Of course now I have to break 100. It will happen before the end of the summer I hope. I am taking a group lesson series called Get Golf Ready. It is only 100 bucks and is a national program. You should check and see if there is one near you.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Two years ago I wouldn't be able to break 100 without mulligans, gimmes, taking drops from OB, etc. Then I got a membership and played 100+ rounds and got decent clubs and spent a lot of time watching golf stuff on YouTube and could shoot in the 80s on a good day (at my short and easy par 70 course). Now this year I've played over 30 rounds since the courses opened in mid/late April and am averaging somewhere in the upper 70s. I'd still probably shoot in the mid/upper 80s playing some of the courses and yardages I see posted here, but I'm really happy with my progress. I'm hopeful that by the end of this year I'll have an even par round.

It really is just a matter of sinking a ton of time and effort into improving if you want to drop your scores. I'm lucky that my course is rarely that busy so I can always play multiple balls, spend a lot of time trying other types of shots, and have the time to play 4-6 times a week. If I still only played a handful of times a year it would be like starting over every time I played and any permanent progress would be almost impossible.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Anything over 80 is a bad round for me but I'm a member at a local golf club playing at least once a week and have been playing on and off for 20+ years.
I practice any chance I get (not that often unfortunately) but I think that playing regularly is what keeps my scores low.

The biggest thing for me is having a routine for every shot:

I stand behind the ball with my club held out in front of me forming a line between the ball and the target. I chose a spot in front of the ball and align the club face to it. I do this for tee shots, approach shots or even chips.

I take my stance and ensure my shoulders, knees and feet are all in alignment.

I check my grip and make sure I'm balanced.

I play the percentages. Aiming for the green instead of aiming directly at the flag. Taking risk out of shots if I'm not 100% confident in my ability i.e. laying up on Par 5s. Hitting irons instead of driver to make sure I'm on the fairway for difficult holes.

My routine doesn't take long because it's an habit and I also don't have practice swings (for full swing shots). I only take a practice stroke with putting or chipping.
Another big thing in golf is trying to not compound mistakes. Take your medicine by chipping out or clubbing down.
Also, it's very difficult to learn but you must have the attitude that even though you have hosed up in some way you can make the rest of the round the best you've ever played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I do not have a preshot routine at all now. I don't stand behind the ball and look at the target and find something to line up with but that is a great tip. I am going to try it next time I hit some balls. Thank you for the idea Halo14.

Tomorrow is my chipping and pitching lesson. Compared to a good golfer I am sure I am bad, but my chipping within 25 yards of the green is probably the part of my game I play most above my average score. I chip from 25 yards in at least as well as my buddy who averages 90.

I am hopeful with one or two tweaks I can really step my chipping game up. For instance, I almost always use a 5 iron to chip, probably because when my dad showed me how to chip that is the club we used. I bet just understanding when to use different clubs can really help me. Everything I do with the chipping is just how I felt comfortable. I am sure there are some tweaks that can help big time.

My pitching game is non existent from 50 yards in. I'll try to bump and run with my 5 iron from like 40 yards out. I have no confidence trying to hit high shots with a wedge because half the time I knock the ball like 100 yards and it never gets high enough to clear a 6 foot fence hah.

Halo14 posted:

Another big thing in golf is trying to not compound mistakes. Take your medicine by chipping out or clubbing down.
I think this is what took me from 124 to 108 in one round. I was trying to play like my friends who shoot between 85-95 while I was a 120 golfer. I decided to play it WAY safe for an entire round. I never used anything but a iron unless I was teeing off, and most of the time I teed off with one as well, and I focused on not screwing myself over horribly. Like if I was 170 from the green but there were bunkers on both sides the chance of me actually pulling off a shot on the green was 5% but a disaster was massive (either in the bunker or mishitting it either 20 yards or in the woods). Or I could just try to hit the ball 120 yards and be 50 yards away but almost always in the fairway and most assuredly on the green in my next shot (probably 80%?) I only lost 1 ball that day. Usually I lose like 6. I am going to play like this for a while and leave the long shots for the range.

I also ran hot putting which helped a lot of course. I probably was over my EV by about 4 putts.