Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

look at this prescriptivist fool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
:vince:

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

A new book is being published this fall.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

:mediocre:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Hopefully you can color the books' last Dany scene.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Lycus posted:

Hopefully you can color the books' last Dany scene.

My brown crayon's worn to the nub.

freypies
Jan 6, 2014
Goddamnit I named myself after my favorite scene and will never see it come to pass. Show is poo poo.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

kcroy posted:

Ok, thanks, makes me feel I didn't totally misread Stannis the Mannis... with that said, I could see him breaking at somepoint. Maybe there is a failed siege at Winterfell that pushes him to the edge in the books. The red god seems like a bit of an rear end in a top hat. Wonder how that will get resolved.

WRT the name "Winterfell" ... what do you think the "fell" part means?

"The place where winter has come to"
"The place that destroys winter"

or maybe Fell meaning pelt? Winters Coat? Defense against winter? Place that wears winter like a cloak? Place that winter protects?

From a few pages back but "fell" can also mean "hill, high place". It's from Norse.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Doesn't it also mean 'bad' or 'evil'? I know Tolkien uses the reversed form: Fellwinter.

You're only allowed to use grey crayons.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Ague Proof posted:

Doesn't it also mean 'bad' or 'evil'? I know Tolkien uses the reversed form: Fellwinter.

Yes, it can mean that as well. The winged things the Nazgul ride are called "fell beasts" because they're hosed up, gross, and weird. In terms of a place-name I always thought the "high wintery hill" was a good interpretation of Winterfell.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
I think burning his daughter is pretty consistent with Stannis character in the show. He ran out of his siblings and related to sacrificially murder so he went on to murder his immediate offspring. Maybe next he'll finally murder an bad guy too but I doubt it, prob just get ganked by Brienne before that happens. He will go down in GoT history as dude who killed everyone related to him for a god he didnt believe in and not much else. Seems very GRRM world fitting sad ending if it turns out that way.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Why do people think that Brianne will kill Stannis? Just because she thinks/knows that he killed Renly? I guess it makes sense but I suspect that he would have to make it into Winterfell and defeat the Boltons before Brianne could even get to him given the snow.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

paperchaseguy posted:

I was trying to go to sleep a few minutes ago and for some reason the enormity of these events finally hit me and I couldn't stop crying. I have no real life friends who give a poo poo about Westeros, so this is basically the only place I have to express these feelings, but I really feel the need to express them.

I would like this thread to be about our personal feelings about Stannis Baratheon, and how it has personally affected us. Just TV-IVing about the details as they come in, or wondering about Westeros' future, and all of that bullshit has no place here. I need to write about my feelings about Stannis Baratheon. Obviously these posts will be mocked elsewhere on the forums, but gently caress em. If you feel the need to say anything, say it.

-----
Stannis Baratheon is a murderer. He killed his child. We will probably never know exactly what he was thinking. Obviously I did not know Stannis Baratheon. I never saw him in person and never spoke to him. But he represented something very special to me. In such a cut-throat, dirty, dark, often disgusting, business he was one of the good ones. When people talked poo poo about the Lord of Light and the bastards worshipping him, you could always count Stannis Baratheon as the exception to the rule. He was the one you could count to be a true professional who honored the kingdom he loved, who was passionate about it, who proved that you could dedicate your life to Westeros without being insane or scum or a monster. He was the ace in the hole. He was the one who wasn't in it for the pussy or because he was a failed jock or because he wanted to get rich quick or because he saw war as a means to an end. He was in it for the throne. He was dedicated to being the best king he could be, and it showed.

I wanted to be a king since I was a little kid, and one of the very worst moments of my life was a cold night in Flea Bottom when I finally admitted to myself that coming to King's Landing to be a knight had been a mistake. Coming to grips that I was simply not strong or wise enough to be a king was one of the worst moments of my life. The war glorifies the boyhood dreams that come true. My boyhood dream wasn't going to come true, and it was an upsetting, soul-crushing revelation that upsets and discourages me to this day.

Since then I lived vicariously through Stannis Baratheon in a lot of ways. He wasn't a man who was destined to be King of Westeros. He couldn't talk. He wasn't charismatic in the usual way. He was quiet. He was short. The only thing he had going for him was his work ethic. He wasn't a first line heir. He wasn't physically gifted. He wasn't someone who had words come easy to him. But through sheer effort he was able to become one of the greatest kings in history. By 50 years-old.

Stannis Baratheon was only fifty, and he was already a legend on the verge of myth. That's how talented he was, and how respected.

I cannot reconcile in my mind that the man who unnecessarily gave back so much to the kingdom could end his child's life the way he did. I can't understand how a man could spend weeks and months trying to give back to younger guys like Robb, putting forth the care and effort to help them find their place in the kingdom, and that that same man could burn his child only weeks later. It doesn't make sense. It shouldn't have happened this way. Not for him, not for Selyse, and not for their child.

Stannis Baratheon owed me nothing. But I still feel the loss. I selfishly lived through many of his accomplishments and now feel lost. I can only speak for myself, but I feel that for a lot of us Sunday nights are rocks of stability in a storm of stress and uncertainty. Every week the show goes on. Every week the show is from somewhere new, somewhere in the world, but every week it comes into our homes.

And that will continue. But Stannis Baratheon is a murderer. And whether it be insanity, drugs, or just the actions of a clear-eyed monster, what is done is done. And one of the pillars for the guys backstage and one of the pillars for fans is gone. And everything that pillar held up is tainted and dripping with blood.

Stannis Baratheon is a murderer. And I don't know how to accept that.

:gizz::circlefap::captainpop:

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
I haven't read any of the new preview chapters because I do not want too much spoiled but one thing I am curious about: does anyone have any inkling as to whether Jon is alive, dead, or "dead?"

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Thunder Moose posted:

I haven't read any of the new preview chapters because I do not want too much spoiled but one thing I am curious about : does anyone have any inkling as to whether Jon is alive, dead, or "dead?"

Is there anything that you really wanted to know after finishing the last book? If there was, then the book chapters have not covered it.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
Well gently caress me. Here I was, thinking to myself that the show writers couldn't possibly make me think less of the TV series after the clusterfuck that has been the current season. But lo and behold, they have managed it. I mean child rape AND child murder in the same episode? This really deserves an applause for their continuing efforts to run this poo poo into the ground while making sure that Le Absolute Fucker comes off as a titan of storytelling in comparison.

Whither to from here? One can only fear guess.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

paperchaseguy posted:

I have no real life friends

Yeah, that became clear pretty fast.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Maybe in the episode that Brienne kills Stannis, they do a final reveal right beforehand that Mellisandre was all in his head the whole time and didnt even exist ala Fight Club.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I have been informed that crazy post was a copy-paste from some goon meltdown in the Wrestle Hut years ago.

I am saddened.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

#NotMyStannis

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Maybe in the episode that Brienne kills Stannis, they do a final reveal right beforehand that Mellisandre was all in his head the whole time and didnt even exist ala Fight Club.

I am Melisandre's Smirking Revenge.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Anytime people in this thread write "HBO" doesn't have good writers it makes me think of old ladies talking about the nintendos when referencing a video game.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How do people not recognize the infamous Chris Benoit post?

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Anytime people in this thread write "HBO" doesn't have good writers it makes me think of old ladies talking about the nintendos when referencing a video game.

It makes me cringe at the thought that some people don't watch True Detective.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Brienne is the Prince that was Promised.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don't

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ZShakespeare posted:

Brienne is the Prince that was Promised.

She can put her sword through my heart any day

As long as she lets me get a taste of that Chyna sized clit first

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

DangerZoneDelux posted:

HBO certainly has some good writers but they don't assign them to work on the cheesy fantasy serial adaptation they've got going on.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I didn't follow whatever thread about sweaty men watching sweaty men hug that came from. :shrug:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
So that post is 8 years old?

Too old.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I don't understand how anyone could love this series. Hating it is so, so much more fun than loving it.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

You missed some hilarious poo poo man, like some really hilarious poo poo.

Unironically enjoyed Drogon, while it could've been better I still got really excited. Stannis was sort of out of character and the Olly foreshadowing was hamfisted but I liked the episode.

Least D&D are cutting out a lot of the poo poo, I'm glad Hizdar got shanked and I'm glad Tyrion got rushed into Meereen, I'm glad SOMETHING happened with Shireen and honest to gently caress the presence of progress, any sort of progress, is welcome after all the horrors of waiting on GRRM to write anything at all.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Least D&D are cutting out a lot of the poo poo, I'm glad Hizdar got shanked and I'm glad Tyrion got rushed into Meereen, I'm glad SOMETHING happened with Shireen and honest to gently caress the presence of progress, any sort of progress, is welcome after all the horrors of waiting on GRRM to write anything at all.

I think GRRM's convinced himself he's better off waiting for the TV show to significantly outrun him, see what is well received and what isn't, and then twist the books to fit that. It's looking more and more sensible as the rape and bad writing pile higher. He'll probably keel over before then, though.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

You missed some hilarious poo poo man, like some really hilarious poo poo.

Unironically enjoyed Drogon, while it could've been better I still got really excited. Stannis was sort of out of character and the Olly foreshadowing was hamfisted but I liked the episode.

If they wanted to make Stannis a loving stark raving lunatic psychopath they succeeded immensly. A parent murdering his or her child is one of the most heinous crimes anyone can commit, it was so out of character and needlessly violent that I'm at a loss for words.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

To even do Frey pie they would have to spell it out 50 times ala theon losing his dick and renly's gayness. There would be 4 episodes of them literally baking the pie and putting clothed human parts with the Frey sigil into it.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Absolutely. Manderley's great, no doubt, but i don't know how anyone other than a huge asoiaf sperglord picked up on Frey pie the first time round. Didn't you have to remember the lyrics to the rat cook or something for it to make sense?

Or maybe I'm just poo poo at reading these books I dunno.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
maybe you'll get your frey pies next season

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

kcroy posted:

Why in the world would D&D push for LESS seasons? Seems coo coo crazy backwards.

They probably haven't slept in five years.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I didn't pick up on anything in the books except the Frey pies so I thought that was pretty obvious. Like I didn't even know who orchestrated the Bran pushing or the Joffrey killing or who Jon's mom was but the Frey pie thing seemed pretty obvious. Manderly was basically twirling his mustache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It straight up states that olenna is the one that poisoned joffrey though, it is never explicit about the freys at all.