Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Not so much "Why didn't you kill me", but "Why are you so compelled to keep me alive when you see the threat I cause".
I always liked the interpretation that Batman is just as insane as any supervillain it's just that his compulsions are "crime needs to stop" and "no-one can die, ever". Feels particularly point in Arkham where he absolutely destroys goons into permanent paraplegic comas and keeps Joker and other psychos alive no matter what.

In Batmans perfect world, everyone is in a coma. Nobody dies, everything is at peace.

~my headcanon~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I went full retard and bought the season pass off GMG with my credit card rewards and a coupon code. At least I won't feel too bad when it turns out I'm still missing out on some sweet content because I didn't buy the game three times from different stores.

Can they just drop this game already? loving hell.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

so is the console version just going to be standard 30fps/1080p fare? I'm assuming it will be as stable as the others, never really had any framerate problems or poo poo graphics with the previous Batman games.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

ayn rand hand job posted:

No, it just had master tactician Bane being surprised that Batman actually went around destroying supplies of Titan after recruiting him to destroy Titan supplies.

Um, that's not how it happened. Bane was happy to have Batman destroy the other Titan while hoarding a bunch for himself. He just thought he'd be able to kill Batman when he got back, and then was beaten easily, followed by Batman destroying the rest of the Titan.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

MinibarMatchman posted:

so is the console version just going to be standard 30fps/1080p fare? I'm assuming it will be as stable as the others, never really had any framerate problems or poo poo graphics with the previous Batman games.

No idea what resolution it'll be running at internally but definitely 30fps. The only 60fps footage that's been shown of the game ever is this video Nvidia put out showing off some of their PC exclusive graphics options. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsjmLNZtvxk

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

This happened!

God, I hate comic books.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

No, it just had master tactician Bane being surprised that Batman actually went around destroying supplies of Titan after recruiting him to destroy Titan supplies.

And then showing Batman his own supply of Titan immediately after that.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Venom is a hell of a drug.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well, yeah, he had to gloat a bit, but I'm pretty sure Batman would have beaten him either way.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jurgan posted:

Well, yeah, he had to gloat a bit, but I'm pretty sure Batman would have beaten him either way.

arkham origins gives us canonical reasons why bane is retarded and is so disproportionate though so this never surprised me

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Does it explain why he wears a luchador mask for no reason?

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

He's a super-macho bodybuilder from Central America?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Unintelligent Bane is pretty much the only way to write the character if he's not the main antagonist. Bane is essentially a Mary Sue villain- a genre-savvy hyperintelligent charismatic leader superstrong tactician with nebulously unlimited support, and a plot device glowing red green weak spot. Like Joker has been in previous games, the character can't be written in a manner consistent with his original incarnation without derailing or consuming any other ongoing plotlines. This was, after all, the original reason for his creation: Ooh, look, a new big bad guy in black who is better than batman in every way! It's possible to write Bane in an interesting way, particularly his addiction, but it doesn't work well in a setting involving, well, anything else- and addiction is written worse than almost any other subject in fiction, because the average level of understanding of it on the part of writers and audiences is even less than other subjects.

AO actually arguably depicted Bane's addiction accurately, but it's not clear that was intentional.

Mzbundifund posted:

He's from a fictional country that uses the Spanish language- by comic book conventions, that means that he, and all others of his kind, are born with luchador masks permanently affixed to their faces. We should be glad he didn't get a drooping moustache and a sombrero.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

First the Batman.

Then the WWE.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
It's kind of sad that Origins did the best job of nailing Bane's characterization.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

First the Batman.

Then the WWE.

I highly recommend Lucha Underground.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it is weird that they gave Bane the bloated freak look that is otherworldly when that bodytype could have been used sans-Titan for Amygdala, another brainfucked freak with gross monster proportions.

I'm not sure how many other villains they can fit into that DLC villain pack, though. Hush, who you've never fought for real? Prometheus, which would own? Ventriloquist? Maybe they can forego all that poo poo and just give a "Batman of Zur-En-Arh" arc wherein Batman goes batshit and has to fight Dr. Hurt which would be infinitely cooler. Hell, Dr. Hurt instead of Scarecrow would have been cooler.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The Human Crouton posted:

God, I hate comic books.
Point of clarification, that's just from an Alan Davis Elseworlds tale that has nothing to do with anything else.

Also, Alan Davis owns, hth.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 8, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Discendo Vox posted:

He's from a fictional country that uses the Spanish language- by comic book conventions, that means that he, and all others of his kind, are born with luchador masks permanently affixed to their faces.

Somehow I knew this was the answer. I just didn't want to believe it.

Discendo Vox posted:

We should be glad he didn't get a drooping moustache and a sombrero.

Hey now let's not say things we can't take back.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I dunno, Scarecrow can be pretty cool.

One of best Scarecrow stories I ever read was one where Scarecrow announces his plans to release an extremely potent form of Fear Toxin into the air on Halloween or something and watch the resulting panic in the streets. So everyone freaks out and tries to get out of town, Batman shows up to fight Scarecrow and asks for the antidote.

And then he realizes that there was never any Fear Toxin at all. He let the masses work themselves into a frenzy on their own.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mzbundifund posted:

Somehow I knew this was the answer. I just didn't want to believe it.

For what is worth, the comics explained that Bane used a mask because it was fitted to provide him with Venom.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Discendo Vox posted:

He's from a fictional country that uses the Spanish language- by comic book conventions, that means that he, and all others of his kind, are born with luchador masks permanently affixed to their faces. We should be glad he didn't get a drooping moustache and a sombrero.

it explains why he's so obsessed with unmasking Batman

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Anyone used Gamesplanet UK? They have the premium version of this real cheap, and it looks like a worldwide key so it should work on my US account.

https://uk.gamesplanet.com/game/batman-arkham-knight-premium-edition--2671-2?ref=itad

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

redbackground posted:

Point of clarification, that's just from an Alan Davis Elseworlds tale that has nothing to do with anything else.

In all fairness tho, in the late 90s when x-files was still huge, the mainline Batman comics went all strange and supernatural and had the Joker summoning demons and casting spells. This was promptly forgotten about because literally everyone agreed it was magnificently terrible.

Part of the reason why I chuckle at the notion of comic book continuity.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

hard counter posted:

In all fairness tho, in the late 90s when x-files was still huge, the mainline Batman comics went all strange and supernatural and had the Joker summoning demons and casting spells. This was promptly forgotten about because literally everyone agreed it was magnificently terrible.

Part of the reason why I chuckle at the notion of comic book continuity.
Are you talking about during the awesome Doug Moench/Kelley Jones run? The Joker part was just for 3 issues and was mostly an excuse for Etrigan to get pissed off at the Joker. It was never meant to have longstanding repercussions. Moench/Jones were just running through nearly the entire Rogue's Gallery one after another.

I fuckin' love that entire run.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 8, 2015

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
I'm so loving hard for this game. I've already replayed Asylum and City this year. I finished Origins when it came out, but it was so bad. So loving bad.

But I gotta scratch my Batman itch. So I bought the PC version of Origins and I'm installing it now. Even got the DLC. I'm hoping this will distract me for the next fifteen days.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
What's sad is that I had no idea about most of these villains since my biggest experience with Batman has been the Animated Series and the movies. When I first played Arkham Asylum, I was like, "Zsasz? Who the gently caress is Zsasz?"

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

redbackground posted:

I fuckin' love that entire run.

In a similar vein, don't forget Joker selling his soul to Neron for a box of cigars and then joining his inner hell council during the mid 90s, that one was also told across the mainline comics :allears:

Or Darkness Within from the early 90s where an eclipso possessed Joker/Batman brawl it out until dawn in the annuals, iirc :allears: :allears:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

blackguy32 posted:

What's sad is that I had no idea about most of these villains since my biggest experience with Batman has been the Animated Series and the movies. When I first played Arkham Asylum, I was like, "Zsasz? Who the gently caress is Zsasz?"

Zsasz has always been kind of a low B tier villain. Memorable, but he's so nihilistic and simple in his execution that he's best used sparingly.

The Joker is probably just as nihilistic as Zsasz, but he's always had a but more Flair in his style, which is why he continues to cheat death.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG_S1Zw8tio

Full Red Hood trailer.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

He's in Knightfall, which is where I knew him from, but he looks radically different there. He has hair, for one thing.

And he was also a very minor character in Batman Begins.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Zsinjeh posted:

I always liked the interpretation that Batman is just as insane as any supervillain

Do you really? I've always hated that interpretation with a passion. It's right up there with "Batman wants to gently caress Joker" and "Batman is the ultimate loner" as far as "Things Bat Writers Need to Stop Doing". Characters with 75+ year history should evolve. And not be written like poo poo.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

Do you really? I've always hated that interpretation with a passion. It's right up there with "Batman wants to gently caress Joker" and "Batman is the ultimate loner" as far as "Things Bat Writers Need to Stop Doing". Characters with 75+ year history should evolve. And not be written like poo poo.

That's great, but it's also pretty clearly Arkham Batman. It at least works for these games with the crazy ultra-violent "non-lethal" takedowns.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Batman starting out as a loner and slowly warming up as the Bat-Family expands is one of those things I really like.

I know he'll probably never fully get over his parents' death since it happened right in front of him, but I do like the idea of Batman not donning the cape and cowl because of his obsession over his dead family and more a desire to protect the new one.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Mogomra posted:

That's great, but it's also pretty clearly Arkham Batman. It at least works for these games with the crazy ultra-violent "non-lethal" takedowns.

It's not though. Arkham Batman has had 3 Robins, he has Oracle, Alfred, Gordon, Catwoman, and now it looks like he'll take a helping hand from Azrael. And while Bats is focused, stubborn, and determined, the Arkham games never try to make us believe he's as insane as his villains. The "Joker flirts with Batman" stuff is there, but hey, not even Arkham can be perfect.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Batman starting out as a loner and slowly warming up as the Bat-Family expands is one of those things I really like.

I know he'll probably never fully get over his parents' death since it happened right in front of him, but I do like the idea of Batman not donning the cape and cowl because of his obsession over his dead family and more a desire to protect the new one.

You get it! That's the story I think Origins tried to tell. Batman started off as a loner, but then he starts to trust Gordon and Barbara and Dick until he works his way all the way to Tim. And while his parents' death definitely fueled him becoming Batman, depending on the timeline, I like to think he's found a new purpose.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

SonicRulez posted:

I dunno, sometimes people can go backwards in their character development.

One of the 'accidental' stories that arose out of Batman's mostly chaotic continuity was a relatively mellow 80s Batman initially developing extreme do-gooder attributes (his no-kill policy was first fleshed out at around this time, Bats was a solid team player with a supporting cast, got along decently with police/others, while Bruce Wayne tried to do things like strategically place factories to improve surrounding economic conditions, etc) to Bats becoming a loner with a deathwish after Killing Joke and Death in the Family, Bats mellowing out briefly after meeting Tim Drake but then going paranoid loner after Knightfall and then brooding-paranoid-loner-rear end in a top hat after cataclysm and contagion and eventually hitting his peak 'Bruce Wayne is useless, cracking skulls is the only answer' Batdick form of the mid-2000s at around the time of Hush.

History heavily paraphrased.

Interestingly, that tells a story of a bright-eyed Bruce that eventually got worn down by very bad things always happening until what was left of him was downright nasty. I think current fans would prefer a Bruce that came in dark and brooding but mellows out over time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

hard counter posted:

going paranoid loner after Knightfall and then brooding-paranoid-loner-rear end in a top hat after cataclysm and contagion and eventually hitting his peak 'Bruce Wayne is useless, cracking skulls is the only answer' Batdick form of the mid-2000s at around the time of Hush.

History heavily paraphrased.

Interestingly, that tells a story of a bright-eyed Bruce that eventually got worn down by very bad things always happening until what was left of him was downright nasty. I think current fans would prefer a Bruce that came in dark and brooding but mellows out over time.
I stole this from someone in BSS ages ago

quote:

To be fair, the big storylines for the five years or so leading up to "Irrationally Mistrusting rear end in a top hat Batman" were:

-Evil conspiracy turns Gotham City into a No Man's Land abandoned by the federal government
-Lex Luthor parlays that into being elected president
-Batman is framed for murder and none of crew trust him
-Batman's childhood best friend comes back and tries to kill him and gets Harold his tech guy to betray him
-Also his old childhood friend replaces Alfred with some sort of sleeper agent Clayface assassin
-Jason Todd comes back from the dead to try to kill him
-Spoiler steals his plans and sparks a massive gang war where she and a bunch of other people are maimed and killed
-In the aftermath of this disaster, Leslie Tompkins decides to let Spoiler die to 'prove a point' to Batman, abandons him and runs off
-Also the Gotham Police turn against him
-Also Oracle turns her back to him
-Also Dick Grayson decides to go deep cover as a supervillain and refuses to let Batman know what he's doing
-Also it turns out the Justice League brainwashed him (and his sometimes girlfriend Catwoman, who also betrayed him to his old childhood friend)
-Then one of his teammate's wife kills one of his friends and also tricks someone into murdering Tim Drake's dad
-Consequently Tim Drake disowns him and runs off to join some weird black ops dude
-Oh yeah also his friend Max Lord shoots Ted Kord in the face and then uses his mind control powers to get Superman to try to murder Batman (for at least the third time in two years where Superman tries to kill Batman while 'under mind control') and also turns out to be some sort of mass-murdering psycho who also steals his satellite
-Also his sidekick's best friend has some sort of killcrazy trigger implanted in him by Lex Luthor and repeatedly tries to kill Robin

But really, the lesson in all of this is that Batman needs to learn to be more trusting.

The best bit is that then Grant Morrison takes over and then Batman becomes a relatively well adjusted globe-trotting superhero with Bat-franchises everywhere.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I stole this from someone in BSS ages ago

Sometimes I forget he still had deeper lows to reach after Hush :allears:

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

I just completed a no upgrades challenge play through of Origins on hard mode (as in no upgrade points spent). Wasn't actually bad at all. Bane fights took a couple attempts because you have very little room for error with your tiny health bar, but the rest of the game went pretty smooth. Would recommend it if any one is looking to replay the game but has already finished hard, new game plus and I am the night mode.

cram me sideways posted:

I'm so loving hard for this game. I've already replayed Asylum and City this year. I finished Origins when it came out, but it was so bad. So loving bad.

But I gotta scratch my Batman itch. So I bought the PC version of Origins and I'm installing it now. Even got the DLC. I'm hoping this will distract me for the next fifteen days.

Origins released with a ton of bugs. Most the worst ones are fixed now. Apart from a fairly poor upgrade system and the challenges that can be locked out of completing if you miss the chance in the storyline to do them, I would argue Origins is more entertaining than City. I find I come back to it far more than the others. There was very little innovation though. I think the main reason it gets talked down a lot is the bad taste left from the bugs at launch. If the other Batman games didn't exist, it would probably have a better reputation as a decent game I think. Still beats the hell out of any recent Spider-Man game, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I bet Spider-Man Noir would make for a great Spider-Man game, though it'd probably crib heavily off of the Arkham series like in Shattered Dimensions.

• Locked thread