Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I remember Swat Kats being pretty good at the time, but I can't remember any of the specifics. In retrospect, it sounds really ridiculous to fight crime with fighter jets. I also would've liked it if the show had a crossover with Road Rovers, because that would've been fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

Batman doesn't solely fight crime in the Batmobile.

Anyway, in other news CN has decided to reboot Ben 10 with a new series where he is once again ten years old.

Forget your Ben 10 reboot; ReBoot's reboot is actually happening now and has an actual distributor now, TWC: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/06/08/reboot-sequel-guardian-code_n_7537560.html

Press Release

6/8/2015
CORUS ENTERTAINMENT GREENLIGHTS “REBOOT: THE GUARDIAN CODE” FROM RAINMAKER ENTERTAINMENT’S MAINFRAME TELEVISION DIVISION

TWC/Dimension Television to Distribute 26 Half-Hours of The New Hybrid

Live-Action and CG-Animated Series Globally (Excluding Canada)

Vancouver, BC and Banff, AB - Corus Entertainment has given the greenlight to Mainframe Entertainment—the television division of the multifaceted Vancouver-based animation studio Rainmaker Entertainment (TSX VENTURE:RNK)—to produce 26 half-hour episodes of a reimagined version of the classic and first-of-its-kind CG-animated television series ReBoot. Reboot: The Guardian Code, a hybrid live-action/CG-animated series to be distributed globally by TWC/Dimension Television (excluding Canada) commences production on the heels of the series’ 20th anniversary featuring cutting-edge technology that will reboot the ReBoot universe to create a groundbreaking multi-platform experience. The announcement was made today at Banff World Media Festival by Jamie Piekarz, Director of Content, Corus Kids, and Michael Hefferon, President and Chief Creative Officer, Rainmaker Entertainment. The series originally premiered on Corus’ kids channel YTV in 1994 and aired until 2001.

“We’re thrilled to be working with Mainframe to bring back an exciting new, reimagined version of this classic animated series to Corus Entertainment,” said Jamie Piekarz, Director of Content, Corus Kids. “The new Reboot will feature the same action and comedy that viewers loved in the original series, but with an updated technological universe that will fascinate a new generation of kids.”

“We are thrilled to receive the greenlight from Corus Entertainment to move forward with the production of Reboot: The Guardian Code,” commented Hefferon. “Technology is ever-changing and Reboot: The Guardian Code will utilize the very technology inherent in the concept of the show—and prevalent in kids’ everyday lives—to drive a new type of relationship across multiple platforms. Reboot: The Guardian Code and associated brand extensions will deliver mass appeal with a technology focus, empowering kids with the tools and confidence to chart their own course in a world that is increasingly dependent on and powered by technological knowledge.”

Created by Michael Hefferon, Reboot: The Guardian Code is based on the original ReBoot created by Gavin Blair, John Grace, Phil Mitchell and Ian Pearson. The YTV series was the first of its kind–a fully CG animated television series. Ahead of its time, the original series electrified viewers with its groundbreaking animation style and stories of heroic Guardians who battled viruses inside computer systems. Twenty years later, ReBoot: the Guardian Code upgrades that original concept for today’s tech savvy kids.

Transcending age groups with appeal to kids, tweens and teens, ReBoot: the Guardian Code is an adventure-comedy series about four teens (Austin, Parker, Grey and Tamra) who discover that they’re next-gen Guardians with a mission to save the world, by defending it in cyberspace. The Internet revolutionized the world, but it also left it vulnerable to attack. With the help of VERA, the last surviving cyberbeing from the original Guardian Program, our heroes stream into cyberspace where they use their awesome code-based powers to battle viruses that have been unleashed by a ruthless hacker. Known only as the Sourcerer, he seeks to rule the world by controlling cyberspace. Original fans of the show will be happy to hear that Megabyte will be back and he’s getting a major upgrade. ReBoot will showcase leading edge technologies and bring coding into the mainstream for kids.

When Austin, Parker, Grey and Tamra are not trying to stop viruses from overloading a nuclear power station, or remotely opening a dam to flood a city, or playing Criss Cross Crash Hour with a city’s transportation grid, our heroes are being typical teens: arguing with their parents over curfews; dealing with crushes; or trying to avoid getting suspended for skipping class when they’re really on a cyber mission to save the world!

Over the course of its four seasons in the 1990s, 48 x 22 minute episodes of ReBoot were sold to 84 counties (YTV in Canada and ABC Network and Cartoon Network in the US), with the last new episodes airing in 2001. Complementing the television series was a ReBoot toy line produced by Irwin Toys along with a video game produced by Electronic Arts.

About Corus Entertainment Inc.

Corus Entertainment Inc. is a Canadian-based media and entertainment company that creates, broadcasts and licenses content across a variety of platforms for audiences around the world. The Company’s portfolio of multimedia offerings encompasses specialty television and radio with additional assets in pay television, television broadcasting, children’s book publishing, children’s animation and animation software. Corus’ brands include YTV, TELETOON, ABC Spark, W Network, OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network (Canada), HBO Canada, Historia and Séries+, as well as Nelvana, Kids Can Press, Toon Boom and 39 radio stations including CKNW AM 980, Rock 101, Country 105, 630 CHED, Fresh Radio, JUMP! 106.9, Q107 and 102.1 the Edge. A publicly traded company, Corus is listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange (CJR.B). Experience Corus on the web at http://www.corusent.com/.

About Rainmaker Entertainment

Based in Vancouver, British Columbia, Rainmaker Entertainment Inc. is a multifaceted animation studio and one of Canada's largest producers of CG animation. On February 15, 2013, Rainmaker's first feature film, Escape From Planet Earth (distributed by The Weinstein Company), opened on 3200 screens across North America. Originally established as Mainframe Entertainment, the company produced the first ever CGI animation series, ReBoot, and over the course of its 15+ years of innovative history, Rainmaker has continued to break new ground in animation, telling engaging stories and creating compelling characters for all media. In addition to projects Rainmaker has produced with partners and clients including Mattel, The Weinstein Company, Hasbro, Lionsgate and Sony, Rainmaker also develops proprietary projects for both film and television. For more information, visit https://www.rainmaker.com.

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 9, 2015

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
mainframe's done nothing good since Beast Wars ended :colbert:

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

DoctorWhat posted:

mainframe's done nothing good since Beast Wars ended :colbert:

This is true and even this sound kinda bad but I'll take it if it means Reboot actually gets an end this time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'll only believe Reboot is back when the first episode actually airs. They've cried wolf way too many times about a revival to trust anything they say.

Edit: Also that description just sounds like a bog standard kids show that they just slapped the Reboot name on.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 9, 2015

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Neo Helbeast posted:

This is true and even this sound kinda bad but I'll take it if it means Reboot actually gets an end this time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This wasn't good enough for you?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

It would have been, if it hadn''t been followed by the My Two Bobs cliffhanger.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Neo Helbeast posted:

It would have been, if it hadn''t been followed by the My Two Bobs cliffhanger.

Ho-Holy poo poo... I completely forgot about that.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Man this new version of Reboot just sounds like a Code Lyoko ripoff, hopefully it'll be better than it sounds

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I gave up on ReBoot long ago. No Tony Jay, no deal.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Whelp one of my friends pointed out to me something I glazed over in the press release:

who discover that they’re next-gen Guardians with a mission to save the world, by defending it in cyberspace. The Internet revolutionized the world, but it also left it vulnerable to attack. With the help of VERA, the last surviving cyberbeing from the original Guardian Program, our heroes stream into cyberspace where they use their awesome code-based powers to battle viruses that have been unleashed by a ruthless hacker. Known only as the Sourcerer, he seeks to rule the world by controlling cyberspace. Original fans of the show will be happy to hear that Megabyte will be back and he’s getting a major upgrade." It will also be a combination of live action and CGI.

My enthusiasm has been thoroughly crushed.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I remember Swat Kats being pretty good at the time, but I can't remember any of the specifics. In retrospect, it sounds really ridiculous to fight crime with fighter jets. I also would've liked it if the show had a crossover with Road Rovers, because that would've been fun.

I wanted this crossover to happen too as a kid. It would've been cool as poo poo.

Road Rovers got weirdly emotional at times though...and there was that "Sonofavitch/Sonofabitch" song..

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I guess I'll try giving SWAT Kats a watch just to remind myself of the usual 90s programming.

johntfs posted:

Venture Brothers.

Thanks for the reminder. I need to binge watch this show again, along with HBO Spawn.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Neo Helbeast posted:

Whelp one of my friends pointed out to me something I glazed over in the press release:

who discover that they’re next-gen Guardians with a mission to save the world, by defending it in cyberspace. The Internet revolutionized the world, but it also left it vulnerable to attack. With the help of VERA, the last surviving cyberbeing from the original Guardian Program, our heroes stream into cyberspace where they use their awesome code-based powers to battle viruses that have been unleashed by a ruthless hacker. Known only as the Sourcerer, he seeks to rule the world by controlling cyberspace. Original fans of the show will be happy to hear that Megabyte will be back and he’s getting a major upgrade." It will also be a combination of live action and CGI.

My enthusiasm has been thoroughly crushed.

I like how they didn't mention Megabyte in that blurb you'd never realize this was supposed to be Reboot. None of that has anything to do with the original premise of the show.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

YggiDee posted:

I gave up on ReBoot long ago. No Tony Jay, no deal.

Aw man, Tony Jay. :sad:

He could sing too. Disney's best villain song was sung by Tony Jay.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of reboots, here's the first image from the Powerpuff Girl reboot

Tom Kenny is returning but all three of the girls have been recast and the original voice actresses are kind of annoyed they weren't even called about it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Frankly I'm tired of Tara Strong.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Kinda sucks for them but, hey, three ladies that aren't Tara Strong get voice acting gigs on a big cartoon? That's sorta what the industry desperately needs.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I hope they got Grey DeLisle to replace Tara Strong.

axleblaze posted:

Tom Kenny is returning but all three of the girls have been recast and the original voice actresses are kind of annoyed they weren't even called about it.

At least they chose not to go with that shitawful style from that one-shot special a couple years back.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man I know Tara Strong is overused but she really is good at what she does and it's weird to see the hate.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

raditts posted:

??? They got a child actress.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

raditts posted:

At least they chose not to go with that shitawful style from that one-shot special a couple years back.

What the gently caress?

axleblaze posted:

Man I know Tara Strong is overused but she really is good at what she does and it's weird to see the hate.

True. I hope the new PP cartoon is good

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's being headed up by a former Adventure Time guy so that gives me hope.

I did like the style of that one shot though and this single screen does make the style just look like the old show but somehow blander. Still, it's not exactly much to go on.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

mycot posted:

??? They got a child actress.

The joke is that Tara Strong and Grey Delisle sound almost exactly alike.

frank.club posted:

What the gently caress?

They had a one-shot special a year or two ago that was done in CG and looked terrible. I'm not sure what about that warrants a "what the gently caress"

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 9, 2015

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

axleblaze posted:

It's being headed up by a former Adventure Time guy so that gives me hope.

I did like the style of that one shot though and this single screen does make the style just look like the old show but somehow blander. Still, it's not exactly much to go on.

Goddamn that is a good av

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Tara Strong's being real bitter about it on Twitter.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

frank.club posted:

Goddamn that is a good av

Indeed it is. If you wanna look at the pictures in a larger, non-slideshow setting, here you go.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol'ing at the Finn/Lemongrab one

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

Tara Strong's being real bitter about it on Twitter.

Well she did just find out she wasn't even considered to (re)play one of her career-defining/most popular roles over social media. I'd say she's got just cause.

In the end though it's not that big of a deal, it's not like she's hurting for work.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

TwoPair posted:

Well she did just find out she wasn't even considered to (re)play one of her career-defining/most popular roles over social media. I'd say she's got just cause.

In the end though it's not that big of a deal, it's not like she's hurting for work.

Yeah, it's pretty clear why she'd be upset, especially when they brought back Tom Kenny, but it's good to give new talent a chance and she can fall back on her alternatives of "pretty much any other animated show on TV."

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 10, 2015

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

TwoPair posted:

She's trying to back a petition to get the original cast back, which is kinda scummy considering the new casting's already been determined.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

axleblaze posted:

Yeah its like how video gamers get tired of hearing Troy Baker or Nolan North, they are really good at their jobs.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

axleblaze posted:

...is that really how the show is gonna look?

I think it's strange that no only are they bringing it back, they are bringing it back without the three main voices, without Craig McCracken, and with a new art style that is just off enough to be weird (assuming that one image is anything to go by). It's like when they brought back Dexter briefly and Dexter's voice was different and the art style took a nosedive. That being said

DoctorWhat posted:

She's trying to back a petition to get the original cast back, which is kinda scummy considering the new casting's already been determined.

this is super lovely

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Crispin Freeman can yell at me forever

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I can understand getting salty about being replaced by a celebrity voice actor in the name of marketing or a cheaper soundalike to get out of pay negotations but this seems completely reasonable.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Where are you seeing her supporting such a petition? Did she tweet something and take it down?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

[source]

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
If its just a petition, it likely won't go anywhere and disappear in a huff. I'm more worried about how potentially flat and lifeless that art is going to look going by that image alone, how bad this can go without McCracken and if there is going to be a bitter hatedom that follows the new voice work because this. It's also kind of weird that Tom Kenny probably wasn't so much hired for this as held up at Adventure Time recording and asked if he'd want money from doing the Mayor and Announcer again, but Strong can find work no problem.

It's not too unreasonable if she's just mad at CN for not even considering reaching/audition any of the old voices for the show outside of being the girls.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 10, 2015

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That's dated from march, way before they announced who the recast was. This appears to be her current reaction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Wait, this says that was posted in March. This is a bit before they announced the new voice actors. I think she may have simply known her and the other two were being recast and was upset about that. That's a bit more reasonable.