Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

xthetenth posted:

You should probably know that aftermarket vs. aftermarket, the 970 only gives about 5% more performance than a 290 non-X.
The real reason to go with the 970 is the lower TDP, really. I have a problem with my wall socket that going over 550w provides laughs and tripped circuit breakers. Long story.

Which is why I'm really interested in what the R9 380x is since it's the second version of the more efficient Tonga, if it isn't delayed to November or so :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The real reason to go with the 970 is the lower TDP, really. I have a problem with my wall socket that going over 550w provides laughs and tripped circuit breakers. Long story.

A Tri-X 290 is pretty close for power draw to the pair of 6870s. But yeah, you gain 5% more frame rate comparing high OC versions, drop system gaming loads by about 25% and gain a bunch of overclocking headroom but have half a GB of memory go gimpy and pay 50-100 bucks more depending on how good a deal you get for the 290 vs. the 970. There's a tradeoff with either.

And yeah, I'm interested in the 380X too and hope it's good, it might be the true heir to my many GTX n60 cards (even though I upsold myself).

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I'm still bitter about AMD for not fixing the pointer getting corrupted regularly when running Source games in windowed mode for years.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
It's worth noting that you can gain like an extra 15-20% performance by overclocking a 970, even ones with factory overclocking.

The 3.5 gig thing is also almost completely irrelevant at 1080p.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The Iron Rose posted:

It'll matter in a couple years when 2.5k monitors start costing $300 and have lovely 6bit panels, but by then you likely would have replaced it

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

It's worth noting that you can gain like an extra 15-20% performance by overclocking a 970, even ones with factory overclocking.

Yep, OCing brings the 970 real close to price/performance parity.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

What magical 970s do you guys have?

My MSI Gaming 4G 970 has issues with 110% power if I go above +50 clock and +80 memory. Do I need to boost voltage or something? I've googled guides and they're just "tweak the sliders ablablabla :words:" so I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong.

Maybe it's because I'm trying to run my 970 and a 4690k at 4.2GHz off a 450W Silverstone SFX PSU. :downs:

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

LiquidRain posted:

What magical 970s do you guys have?

My MSI Gaming 4G 970 has issues with 110% power if I go above +50 clock and +80 memory. Do I need to boost voltage or something? I've googled guides and they're just "tweak the sliders ablablabla :words:" so I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong.

Maybe it's because I'm trying to run my 970 and a 4690k at 4.2GHz off a 450W Silverstone SFX PSU. :downs:

I can throw the power limit to 110 and my clock to +125 and memory to +400 all day long with the same exact card. That's just being modest and setting it a little below the +140-150 and +500 that the hardocp guide does.

I get my clocks to at or around 1500mhz like this and I believe the memory nears 8ghz.

So that's weird...

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Bleh Maestro posted:

I can throw the power limit to 110 and my clock to +125 and memory to +400 all day long with the same exact card. That's just being modest and setting it a little below the +140-150 and +500 that the hardocp guide does.

I get my clocks to at or around 1500mhz like this and I believe the memory nears 8ghz.

So that's weird...

That's definitely an exceptional overclock. I put my voltage and power limit all the way up on my ASUS Strix, and clock + 200 memory +50.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I run at the HardOCP settings without incident too.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You cant compare each others oc settings without comparing stock boost clocks though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think we're all running the MSI 4G Gaming, which should have the same stock clocks, no?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Iron Rose posted:

That's definitely an exceptional overclock. I put my voltage and power limit all the way up on my ASUS Strix, and clock + 200 memory +50.

im on a strix too with the voltage and power limits maxed in afterburner and i can do core clock +130, memory +530

How is mine so different?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I think we're all running the MSI 4G Gaming, which should have the same stock clocks, no?

The GPU Boost is different for each card - Basically there's reference stock clock speed and then factory overclocked stock, both of which are guaranteed by the manufacturer that your card will run at that speed at least. Then there's GPU Boost which increases the clock speed further depending on things like thermals and each individual card but there's no actual guarantee that you'll reach that.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Subjunctive posted:

You have the same guarenteed boost. But then cards will boost over that. Say your card stock boosts to 1350 and his stock boosts to 1300. You would only have to +50 core and he would have to +100 core to get the same speed in the end.

edit: too bad evga doesn't sell the pump bracket separately cause it appears to fit any asetek cooler

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 9, 2015

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Would it be silly to upgrade from a 770 to a 970 to play games like Witcher 3 at high settings? I recently started playing Dragon Age Inquisition and I had to lower settings due to stuttering/sluggishness and I'm wondering if an upgrade would be worth it.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Would it be silly to upgrade from a 770 to a 970 to play games like Witcher 3 at high settings? I recently started playing Dragon Age Inquisition and I had to lower settings due to stuttering/sluggishness and I'm wondering if an upgrade would be worth it.

Yes.

https://youtu.be/voTMY1Ac0xc

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Bloody Pancreas posted:

How good a price can you get it for the 770?

http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1355?vs=1037

If you can get north of $200 it may well be worth it. I wouldn't spend more than $100 on that upgrade though unless you're totally uncomfortable with lowering settings.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

The low TDP of the 970 was a major selling point for me. A Zotac 970 replaced a noisy GTX 460 without having to upgrade my 300 watt Shuttle PSU. Runs noticeably quieter. The R9 290 wasn't a feasible alternative, and Wither 3 runs great with a measly little 35 watt i3 2100T.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
At least wait until AMD finally announces and releases their full *new* lineup and see how everything plays out. Also the 970 is already like 9 months old which is crazy to me can't believe it's been that long but that just means we're already on the far side of this cycle so IMO you'll be sorry sooner than not. Unless you're made of money and upgrading all the way to the 980ti, moving up just one generation isn't worth it for the money at all.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I think Nvidia is waiting till '16 to release new cards though.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Sure, pascal will no doubt kick maxwell around, but there are games to play right now! Witcher 3, GTA5, and probably Fallout 4 later this year. Granted, fallout 4 isn't likely to be a terribly GPU intensive game compared to the others, but it is still something people will be looking forward to. I imagine pascal will be around this time next year. Personally, as a current 760 owner, I am mighty tempted by the 980ti.

Granted, there aren't really any nonreference boards out yet, so if that is what you want it seems pretty harmless to wait for the reviews of AMD's stuff. I certainly hope the fury cards are competitive, but the rebrands of rebrands for the rest of he line is a bit of a turnoff.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Don Lapre posted:

I think Nvidia is waiting till '16 to release new cards though.

Nvidia bet on the wrong horse (HMC) and that's why Volta got pushed back and Pascal emerged. I can't find anything concrete but I'm pretty sure AMD's joint development of HBM gave them exclusive rights for it in 2015.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Most of which they've pissed away!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ragingsheep posted:

The GPU Boost is different for each card - Basically there's reference stock clock speed and then factory overclocked stock, both of which are guaranteed by the manufacturer that your card will run at that speed at least. Then there's GPU Boost which increases the clock speed further depending on things like thermals and each individual card but there's no actual guarantee that you'll reach that.

Don Lapre posted:

You have the same guarenteed boost. But then cards will boost over that. Say your card stock boosts to 1350 and his stock boosts to 1300. You would only have to +50 core and he would have to +100 core to get the same speed in the end.

Thank you both, that was informative!

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
So far all the Maxwell cards I've seen are stable at around 1400 or so, although all have been able to touch 1500's without immediate crashing. I wouldn't be very happy it were less than 1400 (Titan X and 980ti excluded havent messed with them).

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
So what does water/hybrid cooling do for over clocking. Just better temps that allow it to hit the boost clock more frequently?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mutation posted:

So what does water/hybrid cooling do for over clocking. Just better temps that allow it to hit the boost clock more frequently?

Temps are very helpful, they can mean a lower voltage to make a given OC stable, so your OC will be limited by the silicon rather than runaway thermals.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

So far all the Maxwell cards I've seen are stable at around 1400 or so, although all have been able to touch 1500's without immediate crashing. I wouldn't be very happy it were less than 1400 (Titan X and 980ti excluded havent messed with them).
Okay, 1400 makes more sense as a solid number, since I'm seeing an estimated max of 1360 here on my card and a memory clock of 3605MHz.

vvvv I'm using nVidia Inspector, gives the same numbers as GPU-Z plus an "estimated max"

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 9, 2015

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Is there a GPU program that tells you your max boost clock and memory clock? The ones I use says my "boost clock" is in the 1200s but my max boost might be 200+ more and my memory clock is at 1952 but that might mean 7,600 and also 3,800?

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Mutation posted:

Is there a GPU program that tells you your max boost clock and memory clock? The ones I use says my "boost clock" is in the 1200s but my max boost might be 200+ more and my memory clock is at 1952 but that might mean 7,600 and also 3,800?

GPU-Z does this. There's probably something better at it but I use this for quick glances.

Edit: Any overclocking program like GPUTweak from ASUS or MSI Afterburner has sensors that tells you your actual in-game clocks.

FaintlyQuaint fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 9, 2015

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

LiquidRain posted:

Okay, 1400 makes more sense as a solid number, since I'm seeing an estimated max of 1360 here on my card and a memory clock of 3605MHz.

vvvv I'm using nVidia Inspector, gives the same numbers as GPU-Z plus an "estimated max"

I can't imagine how anything pulls an estimated "max" out of nothing. Expect ~1400 and ~3900 memory, with a larger variance on memory (after OC'ing)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Mutation posted:

You can dump more voltage into the chips without hitting temp limits

Or you can get a nice overclock with minimal noise

Sad Rhino
Aug 23, 2014
Would I be right in thinking that we are many years away from a single GPU that can run games at 4K and 120/144hz? I am going to upgrade my monitor within the next year, but I have no interest in dealing with all of the bullshit that comes with multi-GPU set-ups, so I imagine I'll have to pick between 4K or a high refresh rate (I'll probably go for the latter).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Sad Rhino posted:

Would I be right in thinking that we are many years away from a single GPU that can run games at 4K and 120/144hz? I am going to upgrade my monitor within the next year, but I have no interest in dealing with all of the bullshit that comes with multi-GPU set-ups, so I imagine I'll have to pick between 4K or a high refresh rate (I'll probably go for the latter).

As long as you turn settings down you can probably hit that now.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah there are lots of games you can run at 4K / 144hz -- but they're old games, not GTA V or Witcher 3. The problem is that as new GPUs come out the developers add graphics to take advantage of them, and the balance is always going to work out to where the average user's setup is (or slightly ahead, for new AAA games that are willing to push requirements).

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Sad Rhino posted:

Titans and whatnot can juuust about hit 60 FPS in 4k at high settings reliably, so yea. Choosing between 4k or something like the Acer XB270hu is no contest, take the second one every time. I don't really see much of an advantage to 4k for gaming compared to productivity use.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Sad Rhino posted:

There isn't even a 4k 144 hz panel yet, and Displayport won't support 4k 120hz until 1.4a. We're a ways away.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Sweet the new version of MSI Afterburner works properly with Windows 10 TP before I had to manually start it to get the overclock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-fury-x-specs-fiji/

Must admit the specs are huge. I'm real interested to see real world performance, but holy cow 300W per card? Could Nvidia make a maxwell card with that kind of wattage? Does it increase performance relatively linearly or is that just not how it works