Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Blind Duke posted:

When I played Blightfall the concept of the world being hostile was neat, but digging for ores in caves was a pain because the taint covered the ores. Something like a throw able potion that clears crusted taint in an area temporarily would be handy

just anything in the somewhat early game allowing me to climb up a little easier

Just ignore caves and branch mine with a hammer. Dig straight down from a cleared area, then dig to your hearts content. You don't have to worry about taint unless you accidentally get too close to a cave, and you can seal off tainted tunnels with a 3-thick wall. I gave up on caves early on in blightfall, there's just not enough in them to make all the taint damage and the bloody taintacles worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Wolfsbane posted:

Just ignore caves and branch mine with a hammer. Dig straight down from a cleared area, then dig to your hearts content. You don't have to worry about taint unless you accidentally get too close to a cave, and you can seal off tainted tunnels with a 3-thick wall. I gave up on caves early on in blightfall, there's just not enough in them to make all the taint damage and the bloody taintacles worth it.

one thing i discovered recently is that WATER clears taintacles so you could just drop a bucket to clear the area then pick back up move on and drop again

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Mr Scumbag posted:

So, due to more pointless loving changes in mods, I'm once again completely stumped as to how to perform what used to be a basic task.

The offending mod is Thermal expansion/Thermal Dynamics and itemducts.

Where you used to be able to just set a pipe junction to either input ot output (blue or red arrow) and install a pneumatic servo for sorting, now you can't change a junction at all, and have to build a "servo" and install it to pull items out of a source. That's all good and fun, I made one and have it on my quarry tesseract so the items will flow out of it. The problem is that need to set itemduct junctions to output with a blacklist/whitelist so it will keep the ore and junk everything else. I have no loving clue how to do this. There are no blue arrow servos that are craftable, and there's nothing I can do with junctions in the itemducts so I have no idea how to set up a filter.

I've said it before, but I'm continually amazed by the number of completely unnecessary changes to mods. It's like modders have some aversion to people becoming too proficient with their mods. Everytime I learn things well enough to get by without Youtube or a Wiki they change poo poo up for no reason.

So basically you didn't look at the Creative Tab. At all. There are Filters and Retrievers.

Yeah, it's a change. It's better from a technical POV for servers and it allows us to do really neat stuff like Retrievers. Building all of that stuff into the ducts was neat, but unfortunately it kicked off a level of power creep that I really wish we hadn't ever introduced in the first place. That's why we have boring stuff like EnderIO now. There's a difference between not annoying and just doing everything for you, and some of the more recent mods are squarely on the wrong side of that line.

Yeah, it's a sandbox and that's all well and good, but I think a little bit of challenge is warranted. That's why we don't have an Omniduct in TD. It'd be trivial to make. But it'd be soulless and uninspired, and I'm just not feeling that.

Anyways, the new system really is better after you spend a couple minutes investigating the mod. :)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

KingLemming posted:

That's why we have boring stuff like EnderIO now.

hahaa, wow.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I'm using a big reactor for power, and I'm using rednet ports to change the fuel rods based on how much power is in reserve to increase its efficiency. I'd like to increase it further though, not that I need to, just cause I like efficiency.

What I'd like to do is to have an array of resonant ender cells as a buffer between my reactor and the rest of my base. I've done this before (I had a wall of 100 of them) but I'd like to add some logic to it this time.

Is there any way I can make it so the reactor will only kick in when, say x number of cells are depleted?

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I've been playing with Buildcraft a lot lately - and it's really made me appreciate the TE ducts in a new way. Coming from EnderIO ducts it does seem like a step down, tech-wise. But after making 12 different types of pipes, realizing that hooking up straight RF to a wooded extraction pipe will just drain your power endlessly, having use iron pipes at intersections and wrench them in the right direction and then seeing items still go the wrong way and just dump out onto the ground... I have to say I was really happy to make a servo and pop it on and have it just work. And the signalum retrievers being able to keep a certain stock of items in an inventory? Amazing. To do that with BC you need logistic pipes and gently caress if I could ever figure out how to get that to work at all.

Also, Thermal Dynamics really has EnderIO beat on filtering options. I do like EnderIO for the most part but christ if I don't hate needing mobs heads and a slice and splice just to make a decent filter.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
EnderIO is boring? What? Is this all because you can make things more compact by running fluid, power, item, and signals all in the same area if you want?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Mr Scumbag posted:

I'm using a big reactor for power, and I'm using rednet ports to change the fuel rods based on how much power is in reserve to increase its efficiency. I'd like to increase it further though, not that I need to, just cause I like efficiency.

What I'd like to do is to have an array of resonant ender cells as a buffer between my reactor and the rest of my base. I've done this before (I had a wall of 100 of them) but I'd like to add some logic to it this time.

Is there any way I can make it so the reactor will only kick in when, say x number of cells are depleted?

Energy cells can talk to comparitors, so you can use those (or their equivalent in other mods) along with RS latches, or a Rednet Programmable Controller, or even a couple of pistons and a redstone block in order to run the reactor. The reactor itself can also output redstone depending on its internal power buffer.

If you're just using energy cells, though, then what you can do is set a comparitor on the last cell on the line with a NOT gate (vanilla or otherwise). When power in that cell drops too low, the signal cuts out, the NOT gate turns on, and it activates the latch to turn on the reactor (or activates the piston to push the redstone block in front of the relevant port). When power gets high enough, the signal comes on and the gate turns off (and the piston retracts, if applicable). The signal stays, however. How you tell it "okay that's enough" is up to you, but I use "when the reactor's internal buffer gets full enough" as my condition. When that happens, it sends another signal, and turns off the latch (or shoves the redstone block back into its starting position).

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

EnderIO is boring? What? Is this all because you can make things more compact by running fluid, power, item, and signals all in the same area if you want?

That's part of it - it removes so much thought from everything while simultaneously adding incredibly heavy tile entities to the world. And personally, I like seeing items whoosh around. There's no movement, no sense that anything is happening. And under the hood, you're basically just placing super-cheap Tesseracts everywhere. Woo hoo. So yeah, I find it boring.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I, too, find tesseracts boring.

I thought enderio was actually better on performance for it though? If that's not the case, I'll probably stop using it as much, unless I *have* to cable things in the same block.

vvvv: I really have no idea, I just figured having things teleported from chest 1 to chest 2 would perform better than having an item travel in pipes for long amounts of time for obvious reasons, and lol at enderio if it doesn't, really.

Truga fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 8, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

thermal expansion is better for performance than enderio, but you can get right up KingLemming's nose by implying the opposite

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Truga posted:

I, too, find tesseracts boring.

I thought enderio was actually better on performance for it though? If that's not the case, I'll probably stop using it as much, unless I *have* to cable things in the same block.

Tesseracts are extremely boring but the way they work is *incredibly* efficient, because it doesn't matter what the distance is. It's still two tile entities. EnderIO's algorithms are efficient and other than the redstone, the CPU usage is fine. When I say that they are "heavy" tiles, I'm talking memory footprint. They simply have to be, in order to potentially support so much stuff in a single block.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

thermal expansion is better for performance than enderio, but you can get right up KingLemming's nose by implying the opposite

Not really, no. People think I'm far more invested in this drama nonsense than I am. I'm just a straight shooter on this stuff. If there's a problem in any of the CoFH mods, I certainly own up to it as well. I have no problem stating facts - EIO tiles are heavy - as well as opinions - I find it boring - without actively hating the mod. It's a good mod! Heck, it's a copy of TE in many ways - I really can't hate it without hating my own work. And again, that's not me sniping - that's a statement from the original creator, Crazypants.

On the other side of the fence though, yeah...visit the EnderIO IRC channel and there is some active hatred of CoFH in there from the new generation of devs. And that's unfortunate. The point of all of this is to get along and have fun in the sandbox. Something can be not your cup of tea without it being literally Hitler, and that concept is lost on far too many people in the MC community at large.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

KingLemming posted:

Anyways, the new system really is better after you spend a couple minutes investigating the mod. :)
Crafting stuff really sucks. Once you get AE setup it's not so bad, but prior to that ugh. That's my only real complaint about some of the new TE stuff. It adds more crafting steps and that really sucks.

Servos and stuff actually have decent recipes that don't suck, all things considered. I still don't like the machine core thing.

I agree with the general design philosophy and like that ducts are separated. Although with how MC works now it takes like 2-3 days to hit infinite resources and you just use tesseracts for everything.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 8, 2015

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Will the Technic Blightfall address how much of a pain in the rear end finding copper and other tech metals are?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I thought you were supposed to go to the Nether for tech metals?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Mzbundifund posted:

You are not supposed to go to the nether, at least not in the version I played. All the nether stuff is at the volcano.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I didn't find tech metals a huge problem once you find the caches, which is probably midgame. Before that, scarcity is supposed to be a big part of the whole thing.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train
Re: Thermal Expansion vs. EnderIO (not that it's a fight, but they definitely share a niche to a large extent), I personally just can't get over how ugly all the TE machines are. I really like what they've done with UI, but the blocks themselves desperately need better textures. I'm also not terribly fond of the "make base thing, upgrade it to thing v2, upgrade it to thing v3" crafting system. I like the concept of installing upgrades into a single machine for each purpose much better.

Unrelated:

I'm starting to come around on certus quartz and the grinder for my AE2 revamp. There's no real reason to take out the grinder; it's mostly the inscriber that grinds my gears, and leaving certus quartz world gen in would increase the supply of materials for making AE2 things without having to scour the nether for quartz. Maybe I can add some of that back in and try to reduce the number of combine steps in some of the end-product recipes.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Goncyn posted:

Re: Thermal Expansion vs. EnderIO (not that it's a fight, but they definitely share a niche to a large extent), I personally just can't get over how ugly all the TE machines are. I really like what they've done with UI, but the blocks themselves desperately need better textures. I'm also not terribly fond of the "make base thing, upgrade it to thing v2, upgrade it to thing v3" crafting system. I like the concept of installing upgrades into a single machine for each purpose much better.

As far as textures go...that's sort of an eye of the beholder type thing. They fit with Minecraft *extremely* well. To the point where Cynycal (the texture artist) just got hired by Microsoft as a direct result of his work on the mod. We're probably going to redo them a little bit to add some gradients and have more animations, but to say they desperately need better textures is maybe overstating it. And texture packs are certainly a thing.

The crafting steps could be streamlined a bit, but bear in mind that you can skip directly to whatever frame you want. There are recipes that shortcut the upgrade process. I'm looking into a Field Upgrade Construction Kit (yeah with that acronym) or something of that nature later on which would take the things out of your inventory and allow you to upgrade something already in-world. Machines, Caches, Cells, etc. Basically anything in TE.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I prefer TE textures to enderio myself.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

The nether isn't supposed to exist and the modpack maker doesn't know how to remove it. Things like wither skulls you are supposed to get though a complicated infusion recipe. Heck, almost everything requires complex and expensive infusion recipes. With the inclusion of Botanica maybe the pylons will make infusions easier and cheaper, or make it much much more expensive because he expects you to be using pylons in mass.

Edit: Hate it when expensive poo poo gets exploded by the infusion alter.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 8, 2015

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train
"desperately" was strong, you're right, and most of the machines look quite good. I guess it's really just the dynamos and energy cells are always what I see first, and the colors on those seem to clash with the vanilla palette to me. Apologies for the hyperbole.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Not going to entirely agree with KL, but I think I understand the spirit of it. Theres a certain charm in haphazardly thrown together networks, like Factorio's "Baby's first site" if you've ever played it.

I too, like messy factories with crazy pipe nightmares and convoluted wiring/piping. I can see the appeal in neat and orderly, but nah, I like it messy and barely hidden away. :getin:

Unrelated, Thaumic Horizons is A Good Mod:

That's a stabilized thaumic black hole. Apparently the hungry nodes are just babies. :magical: I am so re-creating the dark energy reactor from Half Life 2, Episode 1.

E: Please, please, for the love of god technic crew, get the maker of blightfall onto Thaumic Horizons. You can breed pigs that eat taint. You can literally save the world with thaumically engineered swine. :iia:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 8, 2015

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Truga posted:

Ditto. TE texture replacements in packs like Sphax never looked right to me, and since it's always a pain in the rear end finding a good texture pack that fits with all the mods I use, having TE look good with the default textures is a huge plus.

I never liked enderIO, not because I'm invested in the base planning per se, but I do a lot of my building as a bat or blaze in Morph and the enderIO pipes were always so small that it was a huge pain in the rear end placing them while rocketing around as a bat. Plus I've always loved the way big industrial installations looked, and TE gives me a mechanical reason to have a big tangle of pipes snaking from building to building.

On a related note, here's the base I'm building right now on my single-player OMP-i world. I've got a few placeholder machines randomly thrown in there, but I decided to build this base with the constraint that everything eventually needs to have some kind of semi-plausible support or structure. I picked a crater-like valley and ran a few metal beams made from factory blocks across the span and anchored them in the surrounding mountains to use as supports for hanging machines. I'm really happy with how those turned out, but the rest is very much a work in progress.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Thyrork posted:

That's a stabilized thaumic black hole. Apparently the hungry nodes are just babies. :magical: I am so re-creating the dark energy reactor from Half Life 2, Episode 1.

Wh...what does it do?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Its not energy related, instead its a very curious crafting mechanism!

For example, you can throw in void ingots, then right click the rift with a wand to get back void putty, a substance that repairs anything at the cost of itself.

Oh, and if you turn off the stabilizers, it becomes a short lived black hole. So theres that too. :unsmigghh:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 9, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Truga posted:

I think TE's textures beat out any EIO machine that's a solid, dull block, but any EIO machine that's got a non-cube shape (i.e. vat, combustion engine, zombie head generator) is far superior asthetically because it's nice to have things that aren't blocks in Minecraft.

I'm with McFrugal. What the hell does this...thing do besides being a danger to you, your neighbors and fabric of reality itself? :magical:

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

KingLemming posted:

The point of all of this is to get along and have fun in the sandbox. Something can be not your cup of tea without it being literally Hitler, and that concept is lost on far too many people in the MC community at large.
At the risk of sounding hippie-ish or sycophantic, I'm quoting this because it should never stop being said.

Alkydere posted:

because it's nice to have things that aren't blocks in Minecraft.
You take that back!

Alkydere posted:

I'm with McFrugal. What the hell does this...thing do besides being a danger to you, your neighbors and fabric of reality itself? :magical:
You need another reason for it?

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

KingLemming posted:

I'm looking into a Field Upgrade Construction Kit (yeah with that acronym)

"yeah guys, I'll head to the nether and join you in a sec, I just need to gently caress my Liquid Infuser real quick"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

How freeform is Blightfall? I realize it's the same map with each world but is the quest lineup and resource availability freeform enough to, eventually, reach post-scarcity and do Stupid Things typical of modded Minecraft?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Thyrork posted:

Not going to entirely agree with KL, but I think I understand the spirit of it. Theres a certain charm in haphazardly thrown together networks, like Factorio's "Baby's first site" if you've ever played it.

I too, like messy factories with crazy pipe nightmares and convoluted wiring/piping. I can see the appeal in neat and orderly, but nah, I like it messy and barely hidden away. :getin:

Unrelated, Thaumic Horizons is A Good Mod:

E: Please, please, for the love of god technic crew, get the maker of blightfall onto Thaumic Horizons. You can breed pigs that eat taint. You can literally save the world with thaumically engineered swine. :iia:

looks epic too bad I get an insane crash trying to launch Minecraft with Horizons installed :/

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is there a way to give myself creative powers (/tc, /gamemode, /gamerule, etc) in Blightfall? Creating a new world as creative didn't seem to do it.

If I can't /tc aspect ciaphas01 all 999 right at the start I just can't be bothered with Blightfall at all :(

(edit) Nevermind, found the magical incantation in the form of NBTExplorer. Whatever that is. :shrug:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 9, 2015

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Ciaphas posted:

Is there a way to give myself creative powers (/tc, /gamemode, /gamerule, etc) in Blightfall? Creating a new world as creative didn't seem to do it.

If I can't /tc aspect ciaphas01 all 999 right at the start I just can't be bothered with Blightfall at all :(

(edit) Nevermind, found the magical incantation in the form of NBTExplorer. Whatever that is. :shrug:

Can't you open to LAN with cheats on? That's what I always do.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Thyrork posted:

Its not energy related, instead its a very curious crafting mechanism!

For example, you can throw in void ingots, then right click the rift with a wand to get back void putty, a substance that repairs anything at the cost of itself.

Oh, and if you turn off the stabilizers, it becomes a short lived black hole. So theres that too. :unsmigghh:

LAME. You can do the repair-anything trick with all sorts of mods.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

McFrugal posted:

LAME. You can do the repair-anything trick with all sorts of mods.

For example. I'm not spoiling the truly magical stuff.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is blightfall fun to play as is right now? What's a good structured "tutorial" pack like that?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Turtlicious posted:

Is blightfall fun to play as is right now? What's a good structured "tutorial" pack like that?
Baby's First Space Race is alright. It's well structured and introduces you to quite a few mods. It also has resource spawn rates that you blow through the whole pack in pretty much an afternoon.

I think some of the things it has you make are borderline pointless, and that the order of things isn't the most efficient if you were just trying to speed run a space race. But, it's a great introduction and made well enough.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 9, 2015

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Managing a small server for some friends, as well as the modpack they use.

How is Ars Magicka now? They really want it, but as far as I know, it's super buggy... Is this still the case, or is it safe? 1-5 people online, not that spread out, if that matters.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Dunno-Lars posted:

Managing a small server for some friends, as well as the modpack they use.

How is Ars Magicka now? They really want it, but as far as I know, it's super buggy... Is this still the case, or is it safe? 1-5 people online, not that spread out, if that matters.

Modderation: Permabanned has had Ars Magica for a while now and there are no more issues with it than any other complex mod and there is a new version in the works that fixes most of them. I use Ars Magica quite a bit on my home server of Modderation for my family (1-4 players at a time) and use it some on the Modderation primary server without much issue.

You can check Ars Magica's GitHub Issues page before you attempt something to see if it's fixed in your version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Omp New Sigma also has arse magick

I haven't experimented with it much since there's other more familiar magic in the pack and ars magica seems to be pretty combat focused in a game where combat is the last thing I'm interested in.