Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

I use these from Bags Unlimited.

Inners

Outers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
If you're spending 50cents on inners go mofi, outers I don't care as much about as long as they don't have a stupid flap or any glue and fits fat rdouble lps or gatefolds. I buy them from a record store.
Got a sweet cassette score yesterday, 3 for a buck

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
give me that fall tape

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

stay depressed posted:

give me that fall tape

yeah

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

stay depressed posted:

give me that fall tape

I let out an audible gasp when I saw that tape, I don't think I'm going to give it away but what about a new av of whatever artwork you like best?

my record store has been killing it on the used stuff lately, here's a few mono OG pressings I got recently. Peter Dunton signed the T2 album "it'll all work out in boomland"

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
i want you to have it because your appreciation is from a pure and genuine place

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
I have that fall album on vinyl, but I like that artwork on the cassette. I don't know if there was an insert with that art work when it was originally released but my copy just has the first picture as the cover.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
it's a good tape

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

It finally came! After months of waiting, 3 weeks shipping from England, a little dinged up and with a torn inner sleeve. But it made it! Limited Green vinyl signed by all 4 members and hand numbered to 500.

The CD is going to my brother for his birthday. Drummer quit the band before that one could be signed.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Got a little haul this week. Went to see a show yesterday, picked up some stuff.

Falls of Rauros - Believe in No Coming Shore. These dudes were the headliners. Kind of like Agalloch, with a bit more heavier vocals.

Fancy vinyl.

Serial Hawk - Buried in the Gray. Hadn't really listened to these guys until last night. They put on a heavy as hell live show, shove their cabs up as close as they can while still having room to play. Drummer beats the skins to death. You can feel it all in your chest.

Also got their Lying in Wait 7".

Acid Witch - Witchtanic Hellucinations. Got this in the mail. Acid Witch is great. Perfect Halloween metal.

The fold.

Cool vinyl.

Came with a poster of the album art. Also has this neat die-cut paper Halloween decoration.

Phantasm score. Say what you will about Mondo, but they do put out nice releases. The score is suitably creepy, but I forgot how funky it could be. Need to see it again, obviously.

The gatefold image is great.

Liner notes from Don Coscarelli.

Through the portal!

Label on the reverse is a death sphere, of course.

Absurd score. Death Waltz's latest. The guts are embossed.

The fold.

Bloody and smokey.

Comes with this lobby card.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Some dude down the street was having a garage sale and I believe may have lost his mind, or his hearing.

$12 for the stack, and they're all in fantastic shape.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

That's straight up day light robbery... Good haul.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Wow, that Phantasm record :gonk:

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Saw these guys today.

They signed my thing.

and this one too. They said they hadn't seen one of these in years and asked if they could keep it (my friend got them signed for me, otherwise I'd have given it to them)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Who are they?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Who are they?

How can you not know famed country-core duo The Elephant Boys :wth:

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Who are they?

Gah sorry. My favorite band =/= everyone's favorite band. They're Death From Above 1979. Really awesome dancey punk griminess. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wnl9PpnTXI

LooksLikeABabyRat fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 8, 2015

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Gah sorry. Death From Above 1979. Really awesome griminess. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wnl9PpnTXI

Thanks. This is my only autographed record:

I think I've posted it here before but anyway that was signed by David Byrne. The poster under it was signed by Byrne and Annie Clark/St. Vincent.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

CPL593H posted:

I think I've posted it here before but anyway that was signed by David Byrne. The poster under it was signed by Byrne and Annie Clark/St. Vincent.

That's pretty awesome.

Recently found an album I'd kill to have on vinyl but it wasn't produced. Wish I could make a cheap bootleg of it. Speaking of bootlegs, the Frank Ocean - Nostalgia, Ultra bootleg is pretty terrible but better than nothing I guess at $15.

For anyone that cares-- Nils Landgren & Esbjorn Svensson - Swedish Folk Modern

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

CPL593H posted:

I want this in and around my body

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

c0ldfuse posted:

That's pretty awesome.

Recently found an album I'd kill to have on vinyl but it wasn't produced. Wish I could make a cheap bootleg of it. Speaking of bootlegs, the Frank Ocean - Nostalgia, Ultra bootleg is pretty terrible but better than nothing I guess at $15.

For anyone that cares-- Nils Landgren & Esbjorn Svensson - Swedish Folk Modern

You wish you had a worse sounding copy of an album you already have in another format?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

BigFactory posted:

You wish you had a worse sounding copy of an album you already have in another format?

Not everybody is into vinyl because they think it sounds better than digital, believe it or not.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

wa27 posted:

Not everybody is into vinyl because they think it sounds better than digital, believe it or not.

Yup. I have no functional desire to buy vinyl for the "sound quality" though I'd argue that is a side benefit albeit probably not that great with my current mediocre set-up.

1) It stops me from my horrid music ADHD that I have on Spotify.
2) Makes listening to music a purposeful task as opposed to turning something on in background without thought (which I do with a lot of mixes and it's fine, but doing something with intention is good too).
3) I like the album art.
4) Pleasure in collecting something.

BigFactory posted:

I wish I had a nicer copy of Nostalgia, Ultra but it doesn't exist on vinyl outside of the shoddy bootleg and likely will never due to Eagles having a conniption with American Wedding track. I wish I had even a bootleg of the jazz album I listed because I like it enough to want to add it to my vinyl collection.

c0ldfuse fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 8, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

c0ldfuse posted:

Yup. I have no functional desire to buy vinyl for the "sound quality" though I'd argue that is a side benefit albeit probably not that great with my current mediocre set-up.

1) It stops me from my horrid music ADHD that I have on Spotify.
2) Makes listening to music a purposeful task as opposed to turning something on in background without thought (which I do with a lot of mixes and it's fine, but doing something with intention is good too).
3) I like the album art.
4) Pleasure in collecting something.

I wish I had a nicer copy of Nostalgia, Ultra but it doesn't exist on vinyl outside of the shoddy bootleg and likely will never due to Eagles having a conniption with American Wedding track. I wish I had even a bootleg of the jazz album I listed because I like it enough to want to add it to my vinyl collection.

Don't CDs fill 3.5 of your 4 point checklist? I understand collecting bootlegs of hard to find stuff, or even collecting bootlegs because they're bootlegs and interesting by themselves, but for something that's readily available on CD I'm scratching my head.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Don't CDs fill 3.5 of your 4 point checklist? I understand collecting bootlegs of hard to find stuff, or even collecting bootlegs because they're bootlegs and interesting by themselves, but for something that's readily available on CD I'm scratching my head.

because you're not thinking of records as a fetish object

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Big Bidness posted:

because you're not thinking of records as a fetish object

I mean outside of a handful of releases or remixes (and even now that's questionable due to everything being released for DL on Soundcloud), what other purpose is there to collect vinyl?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Nostalgia. CDs will be collected in the same way in a decade or two.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

taqueso posted:

Nostalgia. CDs will be collected in the same way in a decade or two.

I hope so. My collection is getting near the 800 mark and I'd like to leave my kids something they won't be scratching their heads about.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

c0ldfuse posted:

I mean outside of a handful of releases or remixes (and even now that's questionable due to everything being released for DL on Soundcloud), what other purpose is there to collect vinyl?

so you can buy music at the same place you buy clothes

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
I can listen to vinyl for hours at a time with no listening fatigue, whereas cd/digital kills my ears after an hour or two.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Saw these guys today.

They signed my thing.

and this one too. They said they hadn't seen one of these in years and asked if they could keep it (my friend got them signed for me, otherwise I'd have given it to them)

Argh this post makes me jealous. When they finally come back to Australia I'll be following them around the country and will be trying to get my Romantic Rights and maybe Heads Up EPs signed.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Boinks posted:

Wow, that Phantasm record :gonk:

It's a really nice release. The sound quality is great, of course. Between the two scores I got, Phantasm is the better one. Absurd is pretty good, but Phantasm is a much more interesting collection of music to me.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Brinner posted:

I can listen to vinyl for hours at a time with no listening fatigue, whereas cd/digital kills my ears after an hour or two.

All those square edges, right?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

Argh this post makes me jealous. When they finally come back to Australia I'll be following them around the country and will be trying to get my Romantic Rights and maybe Heads Up EPs signed.

A signed copy of heads up would be so rad.

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx

Brinner posted:

Is this a joke?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Brinner posted:

go to a doctor

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Stux posted:

go to a doctor

Can't cure idiot.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Actually studies show that the sharp edges of all those 1s and 0s fjfjfklNfdfnjkbsfnjkskdkrijvnkdkn

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm guessing he's equating CD/Digital with headphones and vinyl with speakers, though that's also nonsensical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
Any Chicagoans with recommendations for the best place to run into early noise/avant/industrial stuff? Looking for like Whitehouse, Nurse With Wound, Current 93... did the Lincoln Park circuit today and hit Reckless, Gramaphone, and Dave's with little luck (one beat up reissue of "Birthdeath Experience" that I chose not to pay $35 for).