Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I went up into the mountains to farm some metal and made it home with 15. Found out it takes 2 metal per ingot and 10 ingots for a pike. Fuuuuuck that.

Supposedly the metal pickaxe is much better for finding metal. How many ingots does it take for a pickaxe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
The new patch is tripling the metal drop per rock AND increasing the number of metal rocks in mountains.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Datasmurf posted:

And if we couldn't find server 40 from the server list from steam browser and noone seemed to be online in the steam group?

For me it went officialserver 300-something, os 4, os 5.
Open cmd and type ipconfig /flushdns, see if that fixes it, it did for me

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I was talking about Mortal Kombat X. I can max Shadow of Mordor and yet I get barely playable FPS on low everything with MKX. Also, I thought Hatred was on Unity.

MKX is a highly modified UE3 still

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

orangelex44 posted:

The new patch is tripling the metal drop per rock AND increasing the number of metal rocks in mountains.

That makes wooden bases a lot harder to defend, since they're not increasing the limiting resource(keratin/chitin) on metal walls.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Keratin/Chitin is worth more than gold in this game.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Is a raptor bite considered a pickaxe when it comes to butchering animals?

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

SweetBro posted:

Help me theory craft as to what happened to me beloved penetrator (trike). I setup a base on a cliff side and walled it off. In theory no should be able to get in, but if you try really hard I managed to sneak in there without using the door. Didn't have time to fix it so I set the Trike to "Murder poo poo". I return, Trike is gone. No body, and oddly enough nothing was looted. Dinos can't spawn due to foundation drops around the area. Is it possible it ran off the cliff? I normally have massive issues with getting the fucker up a steep hill. Any idea what happened to him? Although I'm sure he died doing what he loved: deeply excavating the anuses of my enemies with his horn.

Somebody saw your base and walked close to investigate, your trike tries to attack them through the wall. Due to poor collision detection, your trikes head or tail clips through the wall and can be killed if the player pumps enough arrows into him. They may not be able to break in, but they can absolutely kill your dinosaurs through the walls. I've been doing it a lot to troll players on my server.

Demiurge4 posted:

I went up into the mountains to farm some metal and made it home with 15. Found out it takes 2 metal per ingot and 10 ingots for a pike. Fuuuuuck that.

Supposedly the metal pickaxe is much better for finding metal. How many ingots does it take for a pickaxe?

It takes 1 ingot to make a pickaxe. Make sure you come home with at least 12 metals on your first trip to the mountains. 10 will be used to make your smithy bench and 2 to make the pick. After that, metal becomes extremely easy to mine since the pick will yield about 10 metal per rock. The problem is metal weighs 1.0 each so be sure you have a way to reliably transport lots of weight to and from your base.

Prophecy120 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 8, 2015

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Suicide island goons: next feat will be to reach the underwater cave nearby. Also, RIP Stone Cold Steve Austin, your light shined too brightly.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
- Increased the yield of metal ore gained from metal-type rocks with non-metal tools by 3x.
-Increased the number of metal-bearing rocks in mountains/summits by a ton - hundreds and hundreds of rocks added.
- Mountain-rocks which yield metal now also yield Obsidian at a reduced rate. These got pushed back for now!

These changes are welcomed. My first trip to the mountains to mine metal was a grindy nightmare. It took literally 3 in-game days and nights to mine 12 metal with the stone pick while fighting off the cold, sabertooths and birds. Metal is going to be a huge bottleneck since massive amounts are required to build any sort of metal structures, so speeding up the gathering by adding more rocks is a good change, as long as they keep the cold climate and dangerous wildlife.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Do dinos hit harder now? I got my face chewed off this morning by a few low level raptors, luckily I had a few dilos with me.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I think they fixed some lag issues, dinosaurs were always intended to be this hard but they were unable to consistently hit you previously.

This should help with pvp as well.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Pivit posted:

Do dinos hit harder now? I got my face chewed off this morning by a few low level raptors, luckily I had a few dilos with me.

If you haven't played in a relatively stutter-free environment, it's worth doing so just to see how much nastier the dinos are when they're hitting you consistently.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I was talking about Mortal Kombat X. I can max Shadow of Mordor and yet I get barely playable FPS on low everything with MKX. Also, I thought Hatred was on Unity.

mkx is a hunk of junk. never trust a pc port...

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

LuciferMorningstar posted:

If you haven't played in a relatively stutter-free environment, it's worth doing so just to see how much nastier the dinos are when they're hitting you consistently.

This. Running SP it's impossible for me to kill anything but solo dilos and groups of dodos early on, but in MP the world is my bitch (except brontos and trikes)

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I dunno, I've found that once you get enough speed/stamina to be able to consistently run when you have to, pretty much any dino is solo-able so long as you have a bow and enough rocks around to maintain separation/climb on. Haven't tried with a T-Rex, though, and multiple aggro'd dinos can still gently caress up your day. I was never a fan of the pike/lag combo anyway.

edit: I suppose the point is that you need to get a bow to do this regardless, which isn't necessarily a quick process. I am not looking forward to starting over from level 1 through the inevitable resets.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

JuffoWup posted:

Is the ue4 engine off the shelf ready for the rift? Reportedly, the was supposed to support the rift at AE launch. I don't have a rift to confirm.

I have a rift and can confirm it runs like rear end on it. Even apart from that, the UI is not particularly VR friendly and text is blurry to the point of illegibility.

Game still fun so far anyway.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

From the sounds of the patch suicide island is going to be frightening....

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

SweetBro posted:

Help me theory craft as to what happened to me beloved penetrator (trike). I setup a base on a cliff side and walled it off. In theory no should be able to get in, but if you try really hard I managed to sneak in there without using the door. Didn't have time to fix it so I set the Trike to "Murder poo poo". I return, Trike is gone. No body, and oddly enough nothing was looted. Dinos can't spawn due to foundation drops around the area. Is it possible it ran off the cliff? I normally have massive issues with getting the fucker up a steep hill. Any idea what happened to him? Although I'm sure he died doing what he loved: deeply excavating the anuses of my enemies with his horn.

I'm set up on the same coastline. I didn't see too many people but I know you have everyone riled up so someone may have swung by and murdered you trike. :(

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

If I try joining the goon server through someone in the steam group it just tells me that the server isn't responding.

Edit: Nevermind, problem solved.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Blister posted:

MKX is a highly modified UE3 still

:stare: Holy poo poo, you're not even joking, what the gently caress? That makes it even more baffling that HVS hosed that up so badly.

Munion
Apr 11, 2012

orangelex44 posted:

I dunno, I've found that once you get enough speed/stamina to be able to consistently run when you have to, pretty much any dino is solo-able so long as you have a bow and enough rocks around to maintain separation/climb on. Haven't tried with a T-Rex, though, and multiple aggro'd dinos can still gently caress up your day. I was never a fan of the pike/lag combo anyway.

edit: I suppose the point is that you need to get a bow to do this regardless, which isn't necessarily a quick process. I am not looking forward to starting over from level 1 through the inevitable resets.

Have u tried since this latest round of patches? I used to think like that.... 10 deaths later, I'm almost too scared to leave my hut. I got knocked to 55% life from over 200 with 10 fortitude in full chitin... And I got knocked that low by a single hit by a single dilo... Game got freaking hard. Tried to run from 2 raptors and a carno, all lvl 1-3 could have facetanked those yesterday, and I died in one bite from each before I could even move. That death was the result of sfx being too quiet and screen shake only starting when he was 10 feet away, maybe I could have gotten away If I saw them behind me sooner, but it seemed like they were outrunning my raptor the few steps i did get to take.

New game is hard as gently caress.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

orangelex44 posted:

I dunno about this. Maybe if you have enough movement speed you can kite the slower ones, but the speedier ones (discounting the Dilo) will absolutely demolish you 1v1.

Honestly, though, I think I really like it. The early game is very clearly a scenario in which you absolutely have to team up to make it anywhere. Key crafting materials require you to kill dinosaurs, and if you want to be efficient, you'll find a way to kill the larger ones. Teams of javelin-throwers early-on, then picking up bows and metal pikes later.

I do think the inflated material costs of some things will get annoying swiftly, unfortunately. I'd much rather the bottleneck resources require territorial control rather than a concerted effort to destroy the local population in search of keratin.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Munion posted:

Have u tried since this latest round of patches? I used to think like that.... 10 deaths later, I'm almost too scared to leave my hut. I got knocked to 55% life from over 200 with 10 fortitude in full chitin... And I got knocked that low by a single hit by a single dilo... Game got freaking hard. Tried to run from 2 raptors and a carno, all lvl 1-3 could have facetanked those yesterday, and I died in one bite from each before I could even move. That death was the result of sfx being too quiet and screen shake only starting when he was 10 feet away, maybe I could have gotten away If I saw them behind me sooner, but it seemed like they were outrunning my raptor the few steps i did get to take.

New game is hard as gently caress.

Again, it's very different when there's multiple dinos, because it's way harder to get away from them or to find a nice rock that you can get on top of but the dino can't reach you on. Carnivores are also kinda easy to trick if you run to get a large herbivore (trike/stego/bronto) between you and them, because usually they'll switch targets and you can then choose to keep running or plink away at your distracted attacker. I think the less laggy game has just changed the tactics you have to use - you cannot go toe-to-toe with the 20-ton monster and win. If you pay attention to your surroundings (know your audio cues!), attack from range, use the terrain and know when to cut and run, it's still possible to solo relatively comfortably. You just can't be lazy and think a pike is good enough to win anything anymore, which is a Good Thing in my mind.

If you can grab a buddy it gets even easier, because two guys with bows (or enough spears) can alternate between distraction and damage-dealer. Pets are also helpful, although you either need a poo poo-ton of dilos or something you've leveled to be extremely tanky before you can guarantee you won't lose your animal.

edit: ^^^^^^ it's less about kiting and more about using rocks. The larger animal has to get around them, but you can still reach them with a bow. Some relatively common rock types are easy to get on top of but seem to fluster dinos. However, I will agree that dilos, raptors, and sabres got scarier since they're smaller and faster, and thus tend to force you into fighting hand-to-hand. Carnos can also be a problem since they're *really* loving fast and can charge for seemingly forever. All I can say is that even before the newer performance improvements those were fights I really tried to avoid by paying attention to what was around me. (although for dilos at least that was more because i got sick of fighting them all the loving time than because i was genuinely worried about them - but since their spit attack/warning hiss stops their movement they've always been really easy to just sprint past IMO).

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 8, 2015

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

I've been playing this the past few days with some friends and I'm pleasantly surprised how good the game is, I expected another total poo poo survival game. Its actually a game.

Is it still worth it making a new character on the server you're all on or have I missed all the pubbie destruction and comedy?

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

There is possibly a bug currently with Dino Damage being too high. The Right Hand has said he is testing on his end.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I have 124% movespeed and 180 stamina and even post-patch I have no issues at all kiting dinos with my bow. About the only ones that give me a real hassle are raptors because of their speed, aside from that nothing can get close enough to me to hit me. Argentavis used to be scary as poo poo to me, now they're big flying loot bags.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
Mumble in the OP does not appear to be dinochat, please send help.

All I want to do is stab dinosaurs.

Munion
Apr 11, 2012

orangelex44 posted:

Again, it's very different when there's multiple dinos, because it's way harder to get away from them or to find a nice rock that you can get on top of but the dino can't reach you on. Carnivores are also kinda easy to trick if you run to get a large herbivore (trike/stego/bronto) between you and them, because usually they'll switch targets and you can then choose to keep running or plink away at your distracted attacker. I think the less laggy game has just changed the tactics you have to use - you cannot go toe-to-toe with the 20-ton monster and win. If you pay attention to your surroundings (know your audio cues!), attack from range, use the terrain and know when to cut and run, it's still possible to solo relatively comfortably. You just can't be lazy and think a pike is good enough to win anything anymore, which is a Good Thing in my mind.

If you can grab a buddy it gets even easier, because two guys with bows (or enough spears) can alternate between distraction and damage-dealer. Pets are also helpful, although you either need a poo poo-ton of dilos or something you've leveled to be extremely tanky before you can guarantee you won't lose your animal.

edit: ^^^^^^ it's less about kiting and more about using rocks. The larger animal has to get around them, but you can still reach them with a bow. Some relatively common rock types are easy to get on top of but seem to fluster dinos. However, I will agree that dilos, raptors, and sabres got scarier since they're smaller and faster, and thus tend to force you into fighting hand-to-hand. Carnos can also be a problem since they're *really* loving fast and can charge for seemingly forever. All I can say is that even before the newer performance improvements those were fights I really tried to avoid by paying attention to what was around me. (although for dilos at least that was more because i got sick of fighting them all the loving time than because i was genuinely worried about them - but since their spit attack/warning hiss stops their movement they've always been really easy to just sprint past IMO).

I've tried the rock things plenty of times, who wouldn't, but the dinos always just climb on top and keep coming after me. Sure kiting around rocks/trees helps cuz of the slight delay when they hit the obstacle, but I have yet to stand on a rock I could get to during a fight and have the dino not able to reach me. And as for audio queues, it would help if they were loud enough to hear. I only get footsteps and shaking when they are like 10 feet away, loud full volume as well. Voice chat is even worse and almost inaudible in game, a real shame because running into other players voice chat becomes useless. Sure I can talk to them, but i sure as hell cant hear what they are saying. Sound levels in this game seem way off to me, especially the warning noises. I usually hear combat music before I hear a dino approaching me. I had literally 0 chance to get away when they were running up on me. I did run a few feet, but they caught my raptor immediately. Getting back on shortly to try and die less...

I realize it sounds like im bitching/complaining, just want to be clear, I am loving this game. But since last night's patches I've died almost more times than the entire week before, and I have been 'playing it safe'. My tribe members are dying left and right as well.

edit* Havent bee on long yet, but game already seeming easier than just after patch. But back to raptors just missing me rather than hitting me every time.

Munion fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 9, 2015

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
So goon island was attacked by two guys, YYQ and Ghandi, both lvl 40+. from a tribe called Nicotine. They had set up a base on the top at some point and had two dactyls they used to fly in. We destroyed their base and dactyls but they managed to glitch their way through the first cave door. We finally got them killed but everything in there was destroyed. The stuff behind the gate under water is fine though depleted from the fighting. No clue if they'll come back or not.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

TwingeCrag posted:

Mumble in the OP does not appear to be dinochat, please send help.

All I want to do is stab dinosaurs.

It is dinochat, it's just a subchannel within the planetside 2 chat for some reason. If you scroll down eventually there's a section called "Not Planetside" or something like that, and within that section is another for ARK.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

minchar posted:

There is possibly a bug currently with Dino Damage being too high. The Right Hand has said he is testing on his end.

I kind of hope this isn't true. It can be a pain in the rear end, but having dinosaurs, especially the big ones, absolutely destroy you (in stutter-free periods) just feels right.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So how do I get in contact with other goons? The link in the OP just had the mumble info removed. Apparently due to someone being an idiot.

In other news, this game is loving awesome. I have a lovely little base on server 40 from which I murder every dinosaur in a one mile radius. :black101:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 9, 2015

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

:siren: New mumble :siren:

Feel free to post it wherever

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Archonex posted:

So how do I get in contact with other goons? The link in the OP just had the mumble info removed. Apparently due to someone being an idiot.

In other news, this game is loving awesome. I have a lovely little base on server 40 from which I murder every dinosaur in a one mile radius. :black101:

Walk around on the beach on the northern coast, there is a good chance you will wind up in the prison.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Would it be possible to add a few more channels in the ARK mumble? Having Goon Island and Jurrasic ARK and raiding parties and crafting parties all talk over one another is confusing. I know goon mumble and all but still.

EDIT: Thanks !

Givin fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 9, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think the problem with the new dino damage may be that they broke armor somehow. I also noticed taking way more damage than usual after the patch but my armor isn't taking damage either, which would suggest it's not blocking anything.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Givin posted:

Would it be possible to add a few more channels in the ARK mumble? Having Goon Island and Jurassic ARK and raiding parties and crafting parties all talk over one another is confusing. I know goon mumble and all but still.
Earlier I added Island/Mountain as linked channels and Raiding/Roaming as separate channels. Let me know how it goes.

Zaajko
May 1, 2009
Have over 70 hours in this game so far. Love it. Hosting my own EU server if any EU goons are looking for a decent server that updates asap. 100 man.

Server info: 188.165.223.138:27055
Seems to work best if you go to steam main window and press view - servers - favourites and add that ip. Then go ingame and just filter by favourites.

The new dino damage seems to just be that the performance is way better on the servers. So instead of running around you, they actually hit you now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/615086038684167262/

Oh my God...

We're getting poo poo-throwing monkeys, you guys. poo poo. Throwing. Monkeys.

Now all we have to do is spam the devs with requests to let them ride the dodos.