Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Saith posted:

(Oh also, a big thank you to DrSunshine for teaching me the basics of modding this game, pretty much 2 years ago today.)

You're welcome! :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Playing as the Hashimids in the earliest start date to see if I can carve my own Shi'ite Arabia. Using the Heretic Pride mod, so hopefully I can get in on some Druze action later too. Liking the mod a lot so far, the only thing I don't like is how the author hosed with demanding conversions.

Basically I've been waiting for the Abbasids to implode. 805 A.D. might be the year: Caliph Al-Hadi dropped dead at 50 having sired only one male, a bastard, who inherits at the age of 4.

The kicker? The kid's Irish. Al-Hadi had some 'exotic' tastes.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 8, 2015

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
More claims confusion: as the King of Eire, I've gained two of the three counties in the de jure Duchy of Galloway, with only the county of Galloway itself left in Scottish control. I assumed that if I created the Duchy of Galloway I'd be able to make a de jure claim on the County of Galloway, but I can't. What have I missed? Can I not make a de jure Ducal claim as a King?

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 8, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Walton Simons posted:

More claims confusion: as the King of Eire, I've gained two of the three counties in the de jure Duchy of Galloway, with only the county of Galloway itself left in Scottish control. I assumed that if I created the Duchy of Galloway I'd be able to make a de jure claim on the County of Galloway, but I can't. What have I missed? Can I not make a de jure Ducal claim as a King?

No. You own the Duchy of Galloway de facto, but it's still de jure Scotland's and will remain so until you've controlled it for 100 years. To the contrary, the king of Scotland will still have de jure kingdom claims on the two counties you hold.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Volkerball posted:

I didn't actually check to see if the fylkirate dissolves when someone of an organized religion holds it, but I would bet money that it will.

It doesn't dissolve, just randomly passes to someone else.
I suppose it's possible to get it back with enough stabbing but if you can grant it to your heir like a normal title that'll be much easier.

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 9, 2015

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Here's an interesting character in my current game:

In case you can't tell from her appearance, that's a female, Catholic Queen-bishop (although called a King-Bishop since I'm assuming the title probably doesn't have gender variation) of Aquitaine. She gained that position completely legitimately through the vanilla game mechanics with no heresies or anything involved:

Basically, when she was a child France and Aquitaine were both controlled by her mother. I had Martinga here betrothed to my own heir and assassinated her older sister which put her front of the line to inherit both titles (she had no brothers) and thus eventually pass them along to me. Apparently her mother was having none of that and changed the inheritance law of France to seniority, which took her well out of the running, but I guess after doing that it pissed off enough of her vassals that she couldn't change the law in Aquitaine as well.

So eventually her mother dies and the kingdom splits with France going to an uncle or something and Aquitaine going to Martinga. However, since it wasn't a gavelkind split, she didn't actually inherit any titles BESIDES the kingdom, so she needed to automatically revoke a subordinate title in order to actually be able to hold it. Somehow, the title she revoked was the Prince-Bishopric of Agen, automatically putting her in charge of a theocracy and making her into a priest. This of course annulled the betrothal I set up since priests can't marry (:argh:) but that's CKII for you.

I'm kind of hoping she ends up Pope somehow but she's not even a cardinal at this point so it seems unlikely - being Frankish gives her a pretty huge disadvantage, and I'm not even sure the game would consider her a viable candidate as a woman anyway.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 9, 2015

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Saith posted:

So basically, I was wondering if there are any guides on making a new religion? We've played together in the past, and pretty much all of us think that vikings are fun as hell, so I want to mod in a (totally ahistorical) Druidic religion using the raiding and prepared invasion mechanics. If anyone knows of any tutorials about this, that would be great since I can't for the life of me find any

Realistically, you could probably use the Celtic/Druidic religion from "Ancient Religions Reborn" as a starting-off point for adding in your religion, provided that you keep it from being shared online of course.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Shadeoses posted:

We got your regular northern savages

Are the steppe horse nomads really called Ungols in Warhammer?

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

No one ever said Warhammer was subtle.

The Warhammer counterparts to the Vikings are called the Norse and China is called Cathay.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Knuc U Kinte posted:

My suggestion for a newbie start is 1066 Richard Guiscard in apuila, southern Italy.

Did this. It's going pretty good at the moment. My ruler died pretty early, dividing his duchies between me and my brother. Both under 16, so I had to wait some years in regency. As soon as I turned 16, I stabbed my 14 year old brother and inherited his duchy. Unfortunately, I got caught and got the kinslayer trait.
Fortunately, I was under attack by Muslims, so that +75 'Defending against infidels' really helped.
Took some counties, formed the kingdom of Sicily. Then I decided to swear fealty to the HRE, because there's no way I'm gonna take them on on my own. Now I'm marshal and the HRE dude loves me.
At the moment I'm taking large chunks of Northern Africa, while the HRE is taking over France. I started a faction to become the leader of the HRE, so far 62% back me. I'll probably fire the event once the HRE conquered France :)
After that, my ruler will probably die and everything will go to poo poo, but that's life CK2.

Also, on an unrelated note, this playthrough made me realise that sometimes it's best to just lose a war. Under attack by 6-8k infidels and some idiot decides he wants some stupid little county? Rather than deplete my treasory and hire mercenaries, I went: gently caress it, let him have it. For now. We can always :ese: later.

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 9, 2015

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

The ones in not-Russia/Poland/Lithuania are, they're natives to the region. There are actual Hunnic/Turkic/Mongolian horse nomads who live on the north pole and worship evil.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Walton Simons posted:

You should absolutely be able to press a de jure claim for the county of Galloway if you create/usurp the duchy, even as a king. Are you sure the count of Galloway is a vassal of the Scottish king?

Eric the Mauve posted:

No. You own the Duchy of Galloway de facto, but it's still de jure Scotland's and will remain so until you've controlled it for 100 years. To the contrary, the king of Scotland will still have de jure kingdom claims on the two counties you hold.

You are wrong, if he owns the Duchy of Galloway then he is the de jure liege of the count of Galloway, and the King of Scotland is also the de jure liege of the count of Galloway. These two de jure claims don't negate each other, they can both be pressed.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

beedeebee posted:

Did this. It's going pretty good at the moment. My ruler died pretty early, dividing his duchies between me and my brother. Both under 16, so I had to wait some years in regency. As soon as I turned 16, I stabbed my 14 year old brother and inherited his duchy. Unfortunately, I got caught and got the kinslayer trait.
Fortunately, I was under attack by Muslims, so that +75 'Defending against infidels' really helped.
Took some counties, formed the kingdom of Sicily. Then I decided to swear fealty to the HRE, because there's no way I'm gonna take them on on my own. Now I'm marshal and the HRE dude loves me.
At the moment I'm taking large chunks of Northern Africa, while the HRE is taking over France. I started a faction to become the leader of the HRE, so far 62% back me. I'll probably fire the event once the HRE conquered France :)
After that, my ruler will probably die and everything will go to poo poo, but that's life CK2.

Also, on an unrelated note, this playthrough made me realise that sometimes it's best to just lose a war. Under attack by 6-8k infidels and some idiot decides he wants some stupid little county? Rather than deplete my treasory and hire mercenaries, I went: gently caress it, let him have it. For now. We can always :ese: later.

That 62% is the strength of your faction relative to his strength. You're gonna get your rear end whooped unless you have cash for mercs and use the Alps defensively.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I'm fairly sure Galloway is part of Scotland, I'll have to check when I'm back at my PC.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Saith posted:

So basically, I was wondering if there are any guides on making a new religion? We've played together in the past, and pretty much all of us think that vikings are fun as hell, so I want to mod in a (totally ahistorical) Druidic religion using the raiding and prepared invasion mechanics. If anyone knows of any tutorials about this, that would be great since I can't for the life of me find any.

There's an existing mod for this. Ancient Religions Reborn.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Walton Simons posted:

I'm fairly sure Galloway is part of Scotland, I'll have to check when I'm back at my PC.

I just did a quick test, started as WIlliam the Conqueror in the second 1066 bookmark. I used the console to give me the two counties of the Duchy of Strathclyde that the Scottish king didn't control, then I created the duchy. I was able to press the de jure claim on the county of Clysedale without any problems.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Knuc U Kinte posted:

That 62% is the strength of your faction relative to his strength. You're gonna get your rear end whooped unless you have cash for mercs and use the Alps defensively.

Ah, ok. I totally misinterpreted this number then. Thanks for clearing that up before I went on a suicide mission.
By the way, a bunch of pikemen + the Alps = ultimate defense?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Ah poo poo, just looked at my screenshots from the old thread and Galloway looks very much English. :ohdear: So suppose I have to press it with England as the de facto owner of the county. Thanks, that's cleared up my confusion.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

beedeebee posted:

By the way, a bunch of pikemen + the Alps = ultimate defense?

+ Scottish generals to get the good defensive tactics.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Try converting the region to a defensive pagan faith first too?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Walton Simons posted:

Ah poo poo, just looked at my screenshots from the old thread and Galloway looks very much English. :ohdear: So suppose I have to press it with England as the de facto owner of the county. Thanks, that's cleared up my confusion.

Whenever I want to conquest/claim a particular foreign county I select that county's owner, and select liege until I reach the top to declare war. Saves some confusion, mostly early game when you encounter some duchies that have very similar colours or when declaring on a rebel leader, just remember to check relative strength before declaring in case the top ruler is not who you expected it to be.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oh cool daemon portraits are on their way in now

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Volkerball posted:

I did a bunch of tests on this because I'm planning on doing this as a pagan republic in an ironman game, although I'm still getting jerked around by the republic merging glitch. Yes and almost certainly yes. I didn't actually check to see if the fylkirate dissolves when someone of an organized religion holds it, but I would bet money that it will. There's ways to do it on ironman, but it's an exploit and really gamey, and there's really no point in dealing with it if you don't have to because it doesn't flow at all. If I was you, I would wait until your current ruler is old enough that you're aloof to him dying, then pause the game, and grant the fylkirate to your heir through the diplomacy menu. Then console your religion to orthodox, console any prestige/piety/gold he'll need to form the Roman Empire (shouldn't be much if any if he's been an emperor and a fylkir for a long time), then form it and kill yourself so your heir inherits. Then you should be good. Just in case you don't know any of the console commands you'll need

"charinfo" will let you see a characters ID number when you hover over their portrait

"religion orthodox" or "religion orthodox <charid>" will change your current characters religion to orthodox. you can also use iconoclast or whatever orthodox heresy. The console can get a bit touchy sometimes.

"piety x" "prestige x" "cash x" where x is the amount of piety/prestige/gold you want to add

"kill <charid>"

Then you should be golden. The Augustus and Born in the Purple traits will continue to work as designed, but you won't have access to the imperial reconquest CB, although you should still have the events pop up when you do restore a Roman provinces borders. The bigger issue is that the Pope has already probably hosed up Rome really bad by filling it with temples, so it's probably useless as a capitol.

a good post, thank you. I believe I will give the fylkirate to Rome, I already renamed the title Pontifex Maximus. I may have a look through the files to see if I can't change the adjective from fylkir to that as well.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
By the way, are there any sales on the DLC at the moment? Specially on Charlemagne and the Way of Life DLC.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

The Norse conquest of India is progressing nicely, and most of it happened without my intervention! I couldn't be more proud of my vassals!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

beedeebee posted:

By the way, are there any sales on the DLC at the moment? Specially on Charlemagne and the Way of Life DLC.

Way of Life costs less than :10bux: at full price so there's really no need to wait for it. Charlemagne isn't really worth it even on sale unless you're gaga for the scripted events or just gotta have custom kingdoms.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Rincewind posted:

The converter exports an EU4 mod that can be edited in the same way as any other mod, including editing ideas, tech groups, and other stuff that tends to turn out strangely.

Any kinda guide to that? Do I just open up the appropriate file in a text editor and hop to it?

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

PBJ posted:

Realistically, you could probably use the Celtic/Druidic religion from "Ancient Religions Reborn" as a starting-off point for adding in your religion, provided that you keep it from being shared online of course.

Edison was a dick posted:

There's an existing mod for this. Ancient Religions Reborn.

Sweet, thanks a lot!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
That war hammer mod is cool and I don't know much about 40k. It runs really slowly however.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Oh, well, the latest patch just broke all my exported saves, so I guess that's that.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

evilmiera posted:

Oh, well, the latest patch just broke all my exported saves, so I guess that's that.

Patch should be up any minute

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

New patch, new dev diary:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/weekly-dev-diary-5-clan-management.860536/

UYGHURS

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Looks like Manichean is still a Zoroastrian heresy.

Also holy poo poo, looks like the Uyghurs have a pretty big realm now. :stare:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Coming to an end of my CK2 game, EU4 goes 50% off. Could convert my save, could just go again with what I've learned.

Hmmm....

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

This looks fantastic. It's a bit like the internal fighting of Republics, but done right. I'm getting way more excited about this than I was about SoA or Way of Life.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Groogy posted:

Patch should be up any minute

Did the fabled improvements for Reformed pagans in conversion happen?

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Do you need to be logged in to see images or are there just not any?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Walton Simons posted:

Coming to an end of my CK2 game, EU4 goes 50% off. Could convert my save, could just go again with what I've learned.

Hmmm....

Ahhhhhh guess I'm selling some csgo skins today

Is it a day sale I'm at work right now

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Last Emperor posted:

Do you need to be logged in to see images or are there just not any?

You need to be logged in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

There's 45 hours left.

• Locked thread