Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Look at that rad cloud/whatever it is. Make that the new Ostrogoth flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Look at that rad cloud/whatever it is. Make that the new Ostrogoth flag.

Truly, it is a sign from God.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Well I can't say I'm disappointed with how things turned out-we are officially the main power of (what's left of) Western Europe. Not to mention that with a weakened ERE alongside the WRE and WRE Separatists will make for a very interesting alt history.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I for one like Sassanids capable of resisting the Arab Expansion that will happen Islam or no, due to the rising population of the Arabian Peninsula.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

NewMars posted:

I for one like Sassanids capable of resisting the Arab Expansion that will happen Islam or no, due to the rising population of the Arabian Peninsula.

I doubt it myself, the Sassanids seem overextended from what I'm seeing. It would probably balkanize a bit, voluntarily or involuntarily. As for Islam, if it emerges, I think Sassanids may hold a bit longer, insofar as there's no ERE to weaken them further.

And there's no way Aksum can hold on to Egypt for that loving long, there are some serious cultural butterflies there.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

I look forward to a world where Steppe Nomads will be able to venture as far as Cologne before they start hitting built up Civilization.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Funky Valentine posted:

Goddamn look at all the destruction in Eastern Europe.

Well look at it this way, now there is plenty of room for him to put whatever he wants there.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Ikasuhito posted:

Well look at it this way, now there is plenty of room for him to put whatever he wants there.

A fun choice between Slavs, Turkics and Finno-Ugric groups.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Man I wish we could have a better idea of how religions are doing rather than if a province has two competing faiths.

And I think this is the first time I noticed this, but the WRE separatists are pagan? That's... a big deal.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Rejected Fate posted:

Man I wish we could have a better idea of how religions are doing rather than if a province has two competing faiths.
I mean, if it was really necessary I could go through all the provs tonight and take screenshots, but then I'd probably start crying, and tomorrow I'm going on a trip and won't be near a computer capable of running Attila until Saturday or Sunday.

quote:

And I think this is the first time I noticed this, but the WRE separatists are pagan? That's... a big deal.
They aren't, Greco-Roman paganism is just the second-strongest faith in Italy (what else would be second-strongest?) so it shows up as the other stripe, regardless if it's second-strongest with 40% of the population following it or 7%.

Southern Italy is predominantly pagan because Italia is still pagan and I would guess that they have temples and are spamming priests like mad, and since they've only one settlement, all their priests are clustered there, which means that they have a massive conversion pull in the area.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

I mean, if it was really necessary I could go through all the provs tonight and take screenshots, but then I'd probably start crying, and tomorrow I'm going on a trip and won't be near a computer capable of running Attila until Saturday or Sunday.

They aren't, Greco-Roman paganism is just the second-strongest faith in Italy (what else would be second-strongest?) so it shows up as the other stripe, regardless if it's second-strongest with 40% of the population following it or 7%.

Southern Italy is predominantly pagan because Italia is still pagan and I would guess that they have temples and are spamming priests like mad, and since they've only one settlement, all their priests are clustered there, which means that they have a massive conversion pull in the area.

I didn't mean it as a suggestion, I realise that would be ridiculous.

Ah, I forgot Italia existed when I looked at the religious map. Well it'd be cool to have a CK2 start date province with Hellenism.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Snark posted:

Well I can't say I'm disappointed with how things turned out-we are officially the main power of (what's left of) Western Europe. Not to mention that with a weakened ERE alongside the WRE and WRE Separatists will make for a very interesting alt history.

Roman republicans regaining control of Italy is kind of affirming.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
Ofaloaf, did you check out the culture code for the (old) Goths I posted a while back? For the Gothic Germanic -> Romance linguo-cultural shift, how conservative or drastic do you think the change should be? Keep in mind that French is one of the least conservative of the romance languages because of heavy Germanic influence, what with the Franks and what not, so I'm guessing the names would have to undego some pretty heavy sound changes. Do you think the names in that file are enough and the sound changes should just be applied to those?

And toponyms, what's changed? Did the Goths rename any places or such?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Rejected Fate posted:

Ah, I forgot Italia existed when I looked at the religious map. Well it'd be cool to have a CK2 start date province with Hellenism.
Oh yeah, there's be at least a few provs like that. Any Hellenistic ruler would have his or her face smashed in pretty quick though, given how CK2 mechanics work with holy wars and like, but yeah, a bit of Hellenic Paganism will probably make a brief appearance before AI Christians conquer everything and convert it while screaming "deus vult" at the top of their lungs.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Merdifex posted:

Ofaloaf, did you check out the culture code for the (old) Goths I posted a while back? For the Gothic Germanic -> Romance linguo-cultural shift, how conservative or drastic do you think the change should be? Keep in mind that French is one of the least conservative of the romance languages because of heavy Germanic influence, what with the Franks and what not, so I'm guessing the names would have to undego some pretty heavy sound changes. Do you think the names in that file are enough and the sound changes should just be applied to those?
I would figure that Gothic Romance would be more conservative than French. Aside from any Romanophile rp'ing stuff, Frankish Gaul was initially part of a greater realm which included the original Germanic Frankish homelands. The Goths in Gaul don't have any cousins on the other side of the Rhine, and don't have territory extending much into Germania beyond the old Roman frontier. There's less of a Germanic pull on them than there was on the Franks, the way I see it.

I'd imagine the main thrust of Gothic Romance mostly just being the result of Goths trying super-hard to speak (Vulgar Gallo-)Latin but loving it up because they can't nail some of those Latin sounds just right.

quote:

And toponyms, what's changed? Did the Goths rename any places or such?
I replaced b_stjeanbaptiste in c_lyon with b_vithericopolis (First king of Gothic Gallia, god bless), but otherwise haven't changed any names significantly. I have trudged through the French Wikipedia, looking for toponymy articles, and have overwritten the names of many Gallic cities so that they default to nameforms dating to the Late Imperial or Merovingian period, so b_troyes defaults to 'Trecassis' rather than French 'Troyes'. I had a weird fit and wanted to strip out as much Frankish stuff as possible.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Ofaloaf posted:

I would figure that Gothic Romance would be more conservative than French. Aside from any Romanophile rp'ing stuff, Frankish Gaul was initially part of a greater realm which included the original Germanic Frankish homelands. The Goths in Gaul don't have any cousins on the other side of the Rhine, and don't have territory extending much into Germania beyond the old Roman frontier. There's less of a Germanic pull on them than there was on the Franks, the way I see it.

I'd imagine the main thrust of Gothic Romance mostly just being the result of Goths trying super-hard to speak (Vulgar Gallo-)Latin but loving it up because they can't nail some of those Latin sounds just right.

I replaced b_stjeanbaptiste in c_lyon with b_vithericopolis (First king of Gothic Gallia, god bless), but otherwise haven't changed any names significantly. I have trudged through the French Wikipedia, looking for toponymy articles, and have overwritten the names of many Gallic cities so that they default to nameforms dating to the Late Imperial or Merovingian period, so b_troyes defaults to 'Trecassis' rather than French 'Troyes'. I had a weird fit and wanted to strip out as much Frankish stuff as possible.

It may be more conservative than French (French dialects are just loving weird and wacky sometimes) in the prestige dialects, which is what will go in I guess. Are the names fine? Any more Germanic cognate names or Latinate names you think would become common amongst Gothic nobles?

If the Goths are really such Romanophiles, I would imagine them maintaining Latin as a language of governance rather than Gothic. Gothic had its day, but it would slowly die out but remain as a superstratum in the new Romance language. So yeah, perhaps this new language will be more like Occitan or such than French, if conservatism is concerned.

And what's your capital?

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I just realized we have the same relationship with the Britons that France and England had. Some things just seem to happen.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx
Three Romes is far too many Romes. Western Rome in Iberia and on a few Mediterranean Islands, Separatist/Central Rome in Italy proper and Eastern Rome in Greece. If the Paradox Forums saw this they'd jizz their pants.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hopefully the overabundance of romes will be partially dealt with during the timeskip.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Fox Ironic posted:

Three Romes is far too many Romes.

ByzLP had five. In particular might Rhodes, Fifth Rome!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Merdifex posted:

It may be more conservative than French (French dialects are just loving weird and wacky sometimes) in the prestige dialects, which is what will go in I guess. Are the names fine? Any more Germanic cognate names or Latinate names you think would become common amongst Gothic nobles?
The nameset itself looks good. Theo/Thiu names like Theoderic, Theodehad, etc. might be a good thing to play up, as those are noticeably Gothic names that sound distinct and also sound distinguished enough for a monarch ("King Seda" or "Count Duda" just kind of sounds lame). Otherwise, I dunno, maybe Gallo-Roman names like Syagrius and Sidonius slip in at some point?

quote:

If the Goths are really such Romanophiles, I would imagine them maintaining Latin as a language of governance rather than Gothic. Gothic had its day, but it would slowly die out but remain as a superstratum in the new Romance language. So yeah, perhaps this new language will be more like Occitan or such than French, if conservatism is concerned.
If it's close-ish to Occitan at all, Gothic Romance should at least be set for dynastic names, as there's a plethora of Medieval Occitan names I can snag, which can be fiddled with and I don't think most anybody would blink at them.

quote:

And what's your capital?
Lugdunum, I suppose?

GSD posted:

Hopefully the overabundance of romes will be partially dealt with during the timeskip.
hooo yes, we'll address that this week, I think.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

hooo yes, we'll address that this week, I think.

I want every Rome faction to have separatists, and the separatists to have separatists of their own. There will be more Romes than there are Alexandrias.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Ofaloaf posted:

Lugdunum, I suppose?

Make it Paris but keep the name Lutetia, or whatever it morphs into.

Thanks for the names BTW, for the Gothic-Romance lang, I could just take Latin or Gothic names and apply the historical sound changes that occurred to Occitan or other adjacent romance tongues. And of course, we need all the cool Latinate names we can muster.

One thing I should mention is the nature of Gothic names, they are usually composed of two parts, like Thiudareiks and such. Instead of a chance of the name being repeated by descendents, it was more common for Gothic names to use one part of the previous name, like the Thiuda- stem, for example, and affix another element, like Thiudamund or Thiudamer.

I don't know of any way to emulate this system, but if there would be some way to work it in, that would be very cool.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?
Well, I guess we might see the Dutch in this timeline?

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

AdventFalls posted:

Well, I guess we might see the Dutch in this timeline?

I doubt it, since Dutch stems from Frankish, and we kicked their asses badly enough that no Francia would emerge, and thus no Dutch. I'm betting some other Germanic group could settle the lowlands and establish a distinct culture. Or Goths could take over the whole place.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Franks actually control the Netherlands here, though.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Ofaloaf posted:

Franks actually control the Netherlands here, though.

But for how much longer before they get their asses kicked by their stronger neighbors? Francia existed for centuries which allowed for linguistic development, I doubt this tiny, ugly faction of Frankish separatists can manage that.

And there's no way you're not going to destroy them for desecrating the map with their presence. If not the goths, it'd be interesting to have the Saxons move into the lowlands and our *Dutch is based off of Saxon rather than Frankish.

EDIT: By which I mean Dutch is more like Low German, because historically old saxon and old dutch were very similar. This is probably the only way to have Dutch develop, although it won't exactly be the same.

Merdifex fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 9, 2015

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx
So Gothia is gonna be Balkanized for CK2, right? Otherwise we'll own all of Europe by EU4.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Fox Ironic posted:

So Gothia is gonna be Balkanized for CK2, right? Otherwise we'll own all of Europe by EU4.

I think it's safe to assume that Ofaloaf understands the risks of 700 years of Crusader Kings 2 and will take measures to prevent that.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

dublish posted:

I want every Rome faction to have separatists, and the separatists to have separatists of their own. There will be more Romes than there are Alexandrias.

Fractal Rome is the best Rome. It's Romes all the way down!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Merdifex posted:

But for how much longer before they get their asses kicked by their stronger neighbors? Francia existed for centuries which allowed for linguistic development, I doubt this tiny, ugly faction of Frankish separatists can manage that.

And there's no way you're not going to destroy them for desecrating the map with their presence. If not the goths, it'd be interesting to have the Saxons move into the lowlands and our *Dutch is based off of Saxon rather than Frankish.

Why would they be destroyed by their neighbors though? The Rhine is firmly established per the narrative as Gothia's eastern border and the defeat of the Franks at Colonia Agrippina might actually be made to be what establishes a lasting sort of peace between the Franks in Frisia and the Goths in Gaul.

With that the Frisian Franks are well situated to settle and expand their cultural influence in Germania, especially as their base in Frisia is stronger than their other neighbors', the Saxons, position in Gothiscandza. The Saxons, to me, look poised to expand in the Baltic region and maybe Scandinavia (though one shouldn't rely only on the A:TW factions to determine cultures and kingdoms for CK2).

An interesting region looks to be the Balkans, which seems destined to be dominated by the Quadians (Kingdom of Quadia?). Which could result in a power struggle between the Western Roman Separatists and the Quadians over influence in North Italy which might justify making that a kind of unique border region with small counties and republics liable to be controlled by either dominated by either side or band together to defend themselves. What religion are the Quadians (their lands look like they are majority Latin Christian)?

A strong Quadia might also seek a convenient ally in either Macedonia or the ERE potentially those two to be kind of balanced against each other and frustrating any Roman hope of reconquering Anatolia.

The Sassanids' hold on Anatolia appears precarious and as others have said they appear to have overextended themselves as well as having addded a whole bunch of Christians and other non-Zoroastrians to their lands. They kind of look like a colossus on clay feet to me, especially as Axum looks like a rising power in Egypt and the Levant.

e: Are there any hordes still walking about at the end of the game? Like here in this screenshot we can see the Alamans and Suebi in southern Gaul and northern Iberia.

That would potentially be a very big influence on mixing up some of the cultures, or creating some new kingdoms for CK2 particularly in areas that are empty or that are politically fractured.

Iberia being a good example of a place with a bit of space (northern Iberia being essentially empty) and two Roman factions that aren't probably in the best shape to stop a bunch of barbarian migrants from settling down next to their lands, or even inside of them, potentially seizing their entire kingdoms. Looks poised for a situation where the south retains more of a Latin culture while the north is extensively settled by Barbarian peoples and comes heavily under their cultural and linguistic influence.

e2: Concerning Gothic names, might there be a possibiltiy that a few (latinized) Hunnic names have managed to sneak their way into the Gothic name-roster? Considering the long standing Hunnic alliance, sealed by a number of marriages and Attila generally being seen by the Goths as a good guy. With the Goths being good buddies of the Huns it wouldn't also be completely out of the question for Gothia to allow many Huns to settle in Gaul as soldiers or something after the Hunnic hordes declined, and the Huns then perhaps making some minor but noticeable impact on Gothic culture as seen in CK2 as a nod to that part of the LP or something.

e3: Those priests in Britain should definitely become saints by the way. They could give their names to Arian/Gothic bishophrics and holy orders.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 9, 2015

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

Iberia being a good example of a place with a bit of space (northern Iberia being essentially empty) and two Roman factions that aren't probably in the best shape to stop a bunch of barbarian migrants from settling down next to their lands, or even inside of them, potentially seizing their entire kingdoms. Looks poised for a situation where the south retains more of a Latin culture while the north is extensively settled by Barbarian peoples and comes heavily under their cultural and linguistic influence.

I could see the Suebi settling down in roughly the same place they did in our timeline (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_the_Suebi). And without the Visigoths to derail it, I could see it doing fairly well for itself. Hell, the Alamans might also be a candidate as well.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Please put up the eventual religious status of Britannia up for vote so I can futilely vote for a celtic-hellenic syncretism

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

LJN92 posted:

ByzLP had five. In particular might Rhodes, Fifth Rome!

Well depending on how that WRE enclave in the Balkens end up, we might be starting with four Romes off the bat!

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

maybe we'll find another secret rome in l'anse-aux-meadows a few video games from now

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I love that the premier power of Italy is still "WRE Separatists".

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Rincewind posted:

I love that the premier power of Italy is still "WRE Separatists".
It takes a while for the paperwork to go through.

I'm a huge fan of Aksum way down there.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Since Italia is controlled by Hellenic Pagans, do you think Ancient Religions Reborn should be used to help prevent them from getting kicked in at the start of CKII?

EDIT: Also for the Celtic pagans in Britannia.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Also remember that there will be around 300 years of history between the end of Attila and the beginning of CK2. I have a seriously hard time believing that Greco-Roman paganism is going to honestly survive that in anything more than sporadic OPM holdouts.

Islands might give them a fighting chance, since they're slightly easier to defend. Crete or Malta or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Backcountry on the mainland, too. Apparently the Achaea area in Greece was one of the last holdouts.