Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Visited my parents in another state a couple weeks ago. There's a Tmobile tower like a 5 minute walk from where their house is. Wish I had taken a screenshot, but I did a speedtest and it was a consistent 65 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up. I've never seen such high speeds where I live. I was getting three 3 times the speed tethering my wifi tablet to my phone than I did using my parent's Mediacom wifi connection.

I haven't gotten anywhere near close to that speed in any part of the city because some reason the 3 T-mobile towers are placed in the outskirts of where most of the population is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

WeaselWeaz posted:

Is WiFi calling legit? Seems like it would fix that. My MIL's condo has no cell coverage due to the building so that seems like a solution for her (and us when visiting).

Yes. Wifi calling works great on my iPhone 6.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Basically right now I'm torn between a G2 and an Idol 3, but it looks like the Idol 3 doesn't have a scratch-resistant screen, and I had bad experiences with that with an S4.
The Idol 3 has Dragontrail which is comparable to Gorilla Glass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?AGCAsahiGlass?videos

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh. Okay. I guess that's what I get for just looking at phone specs on one of those comparison sites instead of the company's site. That's looking pretty good now, although I really wish the 4.7 wasn't lovely in comparison. I'll probably get used to a huge phone, eventually.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So I know the $30 nerd plan doesn't include free streaming or whatever but does it use minutes if I use Wifi calling?

E. I've been told wifi calling goes against my 100 minutes but I wanted to be sure.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Skeezy posted:

So I know the $30 nerd plan doesn't include free streaming or whatever but does it use minutes if I use Wifi calling?

E. I've been told wifi calling goes against my 100 minutes but I wanted to be sure.

Wifi calling counts against the 100. Hangouts dialer and Vonage do not.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Skeezy posted:

I get free music streaming on my $30 plan. Specifically with Google Play Music.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="446331922"]
I get free music streaming on my $30 plan. Specifically with Google Play Music.

Confirmed, I pulled down ~7-8GB last month but TMo only called it about 4GB due to Google Play Music.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
:aaaaa: You mean I didn't need to severely curb my usage last month when I hit 4 GB used about two weeks in???

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Uthor posted:

:aaaaa: You mean I didn't need to severely curb my usage last month when I hit 4 GB used about two weeks in???

Correct. Dial #932# to check your actual usage.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
LG G4 question, I use Verizon now but I'm thinking about buying the T-Mobile version for the 128gb card and to have the option of switching. Has anybody tried popping in a VZW SIM to test 4G and possibly 3G?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

ijii posted:

Visited my parents in another state a couple weeks ago. There's a Tmobile tower like a 5 minute walk from where their house is. Wish I had taken a screenshot, but I did a speedtest and it was a consistent 65 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up. I've never seen such high speeds where I live. I was getting three 3 times the speed tethering my wifi tablet to my phone than I did using my parent's Mediacom wifi connection.

I haven't gotten anywhere near close to that speed in any part of the city because some reason the 3 T-mobile towers are placed in the outskirts of where most of the population is.

When I first started on T-Mobile last fall the first place I speed tested was my mom's house in the suburbs of Portland. I got 86mbps (I just checked, still in history). I have never, ever, ever, seen anything close to that again. I thought T-Mobile was Jesus Christ for approximately 2 hours. Not that my normal 15-20mbps is lovely, but goddamn, 86.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Holy poo poo, is TMobile awful in Iowa. I was roaming on Iowa Wireless along I-80 pretty much the entire way from the Mississippi to Des Moines (and 0 reception inside of Iowa 80, the World's Largest Truck Stop). I had decent reception downtown Des Moines, but spotty in the suburbs north of the city. On the plus side, my Moto X had excellent battery life because I wasn't using it for anything!

My friend's Virgin Mobile phone worked as expected the entire time except for little reception in the house we were staying at.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Is it normal for T-Mobile reps to slip in JUMP into your plan after buying a new phone? I requested no phone insurance on my phone. A week later I get a text welcoming me to JUMP. I searched google and apparently this is common. Is this legal for them to change your contract without your permission? I have the printed plan receipt with no JUMP on it when I left the store last week.

Edit: just got off the phone with a T-Mobile rep. It was added in store. And it was added today, not last week, the last time I was at the store.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 15, 2015

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Just out of curiosity, was June 15th your billing date and that's why you noticed JUMP? In Quickview, it doesn't show when the feature was added, just when it went into effect. It was most likely added at the store.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

FordPRefectLL posted:

Just out of curiosity, was June 15th your billing date and that's why you noticed JUMP? In Quickview, it doesn't show when the feature was added, just when it went into effect. It was most likely added at the store.

No, my bill date isn't until the end of this month. It was definitely added after I left the store. I was checking my billing online every couple days to monitor usage data (I wanted to see if adding unlimited data on one of the phones was worth it since they only used 1-2 gigs a month when they were on a 3 gb limit). It definitely wasn't added on until the 15th when I saw my bill was $10 more. I asked a couple of former T-Mobile reps online and I guess happens a lot since they have to meet impossible JUMP quotas. It's kind of disappointing that this happens. I wish it was just my own retail T-Mobile store that did this but google tells me otherwise. I'd avoid retail T-Mobile stores from now on so this doesn't happen. If you ever want to get a phone, I'd recommend ordering through the T-Mobile website.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 17, 2015

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I really hope this doesn't happen: Comcast is reportedly interested in acquiring T-Mobile US

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Jesus loving Christ NO I just got here :(

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I'd rather Sprint buy them.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Rabid Snake posted:

No, my bill date isn't until the end of this month. It was definitely added after I left the store. I was checking my billing online every couple days to monitor usage data (I wanted to see if adding unlimited data on one of the phones was worth it since they only used 1-2 gigs a month when they were on a 3 gb limit). It definitely wasn't added on until the 15th when I saw my bill was $10 more. I asked a couple of former T-Mobile reps online and I guess happens a lot since they have to meet impossible JUMP quotas. It's kind of disappointing that this happens. I wish it was just my own retail T-Mobile store that did this but google tells me otherwise. I'd avoid retail T-Mobile stores from now on so this doesn't happen. If you ever want to get a phone, I'd recommend ordering through the T-Mobile website.

My parents had this happen with the family line that we're all on a couple years ago. Somehow a $40 unlimited data tethering plan got added to my wife's line when they called to inquire about unlocking their phones for travel in Europe. This was extra funny since my wife's phone was a four year old flip phone that essentially couldn't use data really at all, much less tether. It was a huge pain to get everything fixed and the money refunded, especially considering they could see the phone on the line and also see that she'd only used a few kilobytes of data in the last two months. Multiple phone calls, escalating to managers, etc.

I'm still not sure if it was just a typo somewhere or if someone was just trying to make quota. It's the loan bad experience I've had in like 13 years with T-Mobile, so I guess its forgivable.

Ah, the life of being a T-mobile customer. Constantly worrying that your provider will be bought by some horrible company or another.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

This would be horrible and they would find a way to end my really awesome two lines unlimited $100 plan, Guarn-loving-teed.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

spiralbrain posted:

This would be horrible and they would find a way to end my really awesome two lines unlimited $100 plan, Guarn-loving-teed.

Oh yeah, all the "un-carrier" stuff would fly out the window, because Comcast is the shining example of how to treat your customers!

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

spiralbrain posted:

I will WEEP if I lose this plan

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Luceo posted:

Oh yeah, all the "un-carrier" stuff would fly out the window, because Comcast is the shining example of how to treat your customers!

http://youtu.be/CHgUN_95UAw

We don't care. We don't have to!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Uthor posted:

Holy poo poo, is TMobile awful in Iowa. I was roaming on Iowa Wireless along I-80 pretty much the entire way from the Mississippi to Des Moines (and 0 reception inside of Iowa 80, the World's Largest Truck Stop). I had decent reception downtown Des Moines, but spotty in the suburbs north of the city. On the plus side, my Moto X had excellent battery life because I wasn't using it for anything!

My friend's Virgin Mobile phone worked as expected the entire time except for little reception in the house we were staying at.

Yeah Iowa is weird for T-Mobile. They only have native coverage in Des Moines and most of the rest of the state is covered via a roaming agreement with Iowa Wireless which is a joint venture between T-Mobile and a consortium of local telcos. If you're on a postpaid plan you'll have unlimited data roaming on the iWireless network (unlike the crappy 50mb limit on AT&T data roaming) but I don't know if prepaid gets any data since there's normally no data roaming for prepaid at all.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
15x15 just went live in Chicago :toot: I hope that helps with the congestion.

UserErr0r
May 4, 2006
Replace User
I don't have a paid data plan on my line and receive 30mb/month for free. If I exceed that, does it just throttle data on my line, or will I get charged a usage fee?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

UserErr0r posted:

I don't have a paid data plan on my line and receive 30mb/month for free. If I exceed that, does it just throttle data on my line, or will I get charged a usage fee?

You just get throttled. Just so you know. Music streaming shouldn't count towards your data on that plan.

UserErr0r
May 4, 2006
Replace User

Burden posted:

You just get throttled. Just so you know. Music streaming shouldn't count towards your data on that plan.

Music streaming in what form? Do I have to use a specific service like Pandora or Spotify? Because I play my music over Google Play

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

UserErr0r posted:

Music streaming in what form? Do I have to use a specific service like Pandora or Spotify? Because I play my music over Google Play

Most streaming music services qualify, as does Google music, but I would double check to be sure

UserErr0r
May 4, 2006
Replace User

hiddenriverninja posted:

Most streaming music services qualify, as does Google music, but I would double check to be sure

http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/music-freedom-list.html It's on there.

Unfortunately, the 3.5mm jack on my phone is broken, so I've been listening to music on my tablet. How does T-Mobile handle sharing data over a hotspot? I have limited access to the account settings (it's not my plan), but if the answer depends on which plan I'm on, I could look if I knew where to.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

UserErr0r posted:

Unfortunately, the 3.5mm jack on my phone is broken, so I've been listening to music on my tablet. How does T-Mobile handle sharing data over a hotspot? I have limited access to the account settings (it's not my plan), but if the answer depends on which plan I'm on, I could look if I knew where to.

The music freedom doesn't work over hotspot.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Anybody know how Metro PCS handles device locking/device usage on T-Mobile? I've got the nerd plan and MetroPCS's price on the Lumia 640 is just silly, especially compared to the $130 T-Mobile wants. Could I buy it from them and just pop in my T-Mobile SIM?

https://www.metropcs.com/phones/details/microsoft-lumia-640/610214640475.html

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Tivac posted:

Anybody know how Metro PCS handles device locking/device usage on T-Mobile? I've got the nerd plan and MetroPCS's price on the Lumia 640 is just silly, especially compared to the $130 T-Mobile wants. Could I buy it from them and just pop in my T-Mobile SIM?

Since MetroPCS is now just a T-Mobile MVNO, locked Metro devices should work with T-Mobile SIMs and vice versa. However, the price on that Lumia is after mail in rebate.

EDIT: The rebate is only $30.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 23, 2015

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Tivac posted:

Metro phones don't work on T-mobile unless they are unlocked and vice versa unfortunately. If you can get it unlocked it will work fine though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm going to need to get a new nano-sim for my new phone, since my current phone is a mini-sim. Is T-mobile going to charge me for this? If so, how much? I'm on a post-paid plan, or whatever the traditional one is called.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm going to need to get a new nano-sim for my new phone, since my current phone is a mini-sim. Is T-mobile going to charge me for this? If so, how much? I'm on a post-paid plan, or whatever the traditional one is called.

Bestbuy has nano sim kits for $5

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/t-mobile-complete-sim-starter-kit-white/8699899.p?acampID=0&ref=8575135&loc=0&id=1219359704883

Even comes with adapters for larger sim trayhs

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

They charged me ten bux and insinuated that I got a stolen phone from a shady dealer because the phone didn't come with its own card (it was a brand new phone from Amazon).

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

UserErr0r posted:

Hot drat I had no idea. I'm going to bring my good headphones to work tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

I can't find a link to this "nerd plan" on the t-mobile site. Does it still exist?