Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

OhYeah posted:

You know you can fit all your threadshitting into a single post so it's easier to skip for the rest of us?

uh hello this is the bad thread it was shite to begin with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

that which is poo poo can never be shat, but oozes again, firmer and fouler

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Book Stannis (hereafter referred to as Stanny B) not much of a believer in Melisandre's hocus pocus? Yes, she killed his brother with a spooky ghost. But otherwise, he seemed to think she was effective, but probably a little loopy too. More of a magician than a representative of the one true god. No?

The Shireen scene seems out of character for that reason too. Maybe I'm missing some passages where he effuses, "There is no god but R'hllor, and Melisandre is his prophet." :shrug:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Dangerllama posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Book Stannis (hereafter referred to as Stanny B) not much of a believer in Melisandre's hocus pocus? Yes, she killed his brother with a spooky ghost. But otherwise, he seemed to think she was effective, but probably a little loopy too. More of a magician than a representative of the one true god. No?

The Shireen scene seems out of character for that reason too. Maybe I'm missing some passages where he effuses, "There is no god but R'hllor, and Melisandre is his prophet." :shrug:

You are not wrong but it's a bit of a wash whether he believes she's a prophet with all his heart or not, he clearly hitched his horses to her carriage even if he's not 100% down with her faith. In the books he is very clearly opposed to burning innocent people, he flat out rejects burning infidels in one of the chapters in ADWD and tells Melisandre in ASOS that if burning Edric doesn't actually raise a stone dragon from the earth beneath dragonstone she will find herself on the pyre immediately, luckily for her this never gets tested due to Davos' intervention.

However, this all only happens in the books, whether knowingly or not the show has Stannis a lot less critical of Mel's powers, for instance in the books he won't even hear about burning Edric until the three usurpers are dead ("Two is not three" - when Mel approaches him about burning Edric before the news of Joffrey's death arrives to dragonstone) but the show just glossed it over when Balon failed to die and Stannis was more than willing to burn Gendry.

They are different characters and the show version is a lot less pedantic and 'internally consistent' than the book counterpart.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Also, I really don't feel like they got the desperation of Stannis's situation across in the show. If he was in as bad of a state as he currently is in the books, I think people would have accepted it more. I mean, Davos literally says he'll make it to Castle Black and back in a few days. Maybe just regroup there and have a bit of a think before burning your daughter alive?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The show briefly establishes how travelling with an army and supplies is entirely different than just taking a horse and possibly '20 good men' through the blizzard, the 'in world explanations' are dealt with. It is established that if Stannis turns back he'll be 'the king who ran' and that if he goes to Castle Black at the onset of winter he'll be forced to remain there until the snows thaw, there are also the establishing shots of his troops looking sick and miserable.

People are just pissed off at RamBo's miraculous act of sabotage but the hopelessness of Stannis' cause gets reiterated about 4-5 times within the episode.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Stannis is just trying to eliminate the reptilians from the royal bloodline

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
People are confused about Stannis's motivations. He didnt burn his daughter to become King. He burned her because he believes (or has been brainwashed into believing) that he is a prophesized hero and he wont allow himself to die in a blizzard. He therefore chooses his life over the life of his daughters, while most people would likely do the opposite.

I hated that they burned a girl on TV but Stannis is staying true to his character of sacrificing everything to fulfill his destiny.

That said, the relationship between Stan and Shireen is portrayed wildly different in the books and show. I believe the scene where he talks about curing her greyscale was a mistake and was shoehorned for max audience empathy for when she was killed.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The fourth daughter is Darkstar, who will maim Mycella next episode on the way out of Dorne.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
If there are only 4 sand snakes on the show the last one is probably Sarella who must have some part to play in the whole Oldtown/Citadel subplot

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

counterfeitsaint posted:

The fourth daughter is Darkstar, who will maim Mycella next episode on the way out of Dorne.

Nothing would make me smile more than if Myrcella is riding off and out of the crowd a Sand Snake rides up in horrible drag, wig flying in the breeze to reveal it is Darkstar. He goes to slice off Myrcella's ear but only manages to cut Jaime's gold hand off. He then rides off into the sunset, never to be heard from again.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Knuc U Kinte posted:

She's his daughter and lover.

That is pretty hosed up of you to be pushing your incest fetish onto this thread.

Junkenstein posted:

Also, I really don't feel like they got the desperation of Stannis's situation across in the show. If he was in as bad of a state as he currently is in the books, I think people would have accepted it more. I mean, Davos literally says he'll make it to Castle Black and back in a few days. Maybe just regroup there and have a bit of a think before burning your daughter alive?

I would have appreciated a bit more agonizing on Stannis' part. I mean this is his defining moment, where he breaks IMO.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

TommyGun85 posted:

That said, the relationship between Stan and Shireen is portrayed wildly different in the books and show. I believe the scene where he talks about curing her greyscale was a mistake and was shoehorned for max audience empathy for when she was killed.

Stannis has almost no direct interactions with Shireen in the books, I am not sure he even has one scene where they 'share a page', but I am not sure that the relationship is wildly different we just don't get to see it.

There's the bit where Stannis burns his hand Alester Florent for negotiating an unsanctioned peace treaty with the Lannisters but when Stannis discusses Alester's actions he is absolutely livid at the fact that Alester was going to offer to betrothe Shireen to Tommen as Shireen is a true born princess and the heir to the iron throne while Tommen is a bastard born of incest. In the Theon preview chapter from TWOW Stannis sends Justin Massey to Braavos accompanying Tycho Nestoris and makes him swear that even if Stannis dies while trying to take Winterfell he will find sellswords and install Shireen on the iron throne.

So whether he's affectionate or not we don't know for sure but he definitely considers her his true heir and the future queen of the seven kingdoms, I'd say their relationship on the show is consistent with the books, up until the human sacrifice that is.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Obara isn't Ellaria's daughter re: her monologue about the spear and going to court

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Stannis has almost no direct interactions with Shireen in the books, I am not sure he even has one scene where they 'share a page', but I am not sure that the relationship is wildly different we just don't get to see it.

There's the bit where Stannis burns his hand Alester Florent for negotiating an unsanctioned peace treaty with the Lannisters but when Stannis discusses Alester's actions he is absolutely livid at the fact that Alester was going to offer to betrothe Shireen to Tommen as Shireen is a true born princess and the heir to the iron throne while Tommen is a bastard born of incest. In the Theon preview chapter from TWOW Stannis sends Justin Massey to Braavos accompanying Tycho Nestoris and makes him swear that even if Stannis dies while trying to take Winterfell he will find sellswords and install Shireen on the iron throne.

So whether he's affectionate or not we don't know for sure but he definitely considers her his true heir and the future queen of the seven kingdoms, I'd say their relationship on the show is consistent with the books, up until the human sacrifice that is.

I think both examples from the books show that he is more concerned about her being his heir without much or any indication of him loving her as his daughter.

in either case, dude has to do what he has to do in order to fulfill his apparant destiny.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Not that Stannis' love is worth that much really, dude claims to have loved Renly.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Wow, holy poo poo, Im so stupid it JUST came to me that Davos writing the message is not a show change but a full on book spoiler. I cant believe I never pieced it together before.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Wow. You're right.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Wow, holy poo poo, Im so stupid it JUST came to me that Davos writing the message is not a show change but a full on book spoiler. I cant believe I never pieced it together before.

Wait, what note?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

counterfeitsaint posted:

I bet Darkstar's maiming part will be done by Bronn. Trystane will do some foolish hotheaded young man thing like trying to kill Jaime, and then Bronn will try to put his sword through Trystane but Myrcella will get in the way. This leads to an epic fight where Jaime barely crawls away but Bronn is killed by a dozen Areo Hotah glaive wounds.

Kill Bronn and Jon in the same episode, make the world burn.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

Wait, what note?

The pink letter.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
If Jon, Bronn, and Stannis all die next Sunday I'll have to quit my job so I can nonstop masturbate to internet tears and tumblr suicides and AWOIAF death threats sent to D&D.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

RCarr posted:

The pink letter.

I'm confused. Details?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Who's the true heir to the Iron Show Throne now then, Baratheon-wise?

They definitely state how much of a pickle Show Stannis is in, but I don't think they come close to showing it. The imagery of the snow and how skeleton like he's becoming in the books during that march really sold how hosed they were to me.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 9, 2015

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Kafka Esq. posted:

I bet Darkstar's maiming part will be done by Bronn. Trystane will do some foolish hotheaded young man thing like trying to kill Jaime, and then Bronn will try to put his sword through Trystane but Myrcella will get in the way. This leads to an epic fight where Jaime barely crawls away but Bronn is killed by a dozen Areo Hotah glaive wounds.

Kill Bronn and Jon in the same episode, make the world burn.

I got a different vibe from that Dorne scenes last episode. Elaria completely turning from mad to sweet and Doran giving the Lannisters everything they wanted with no price or penalty? No chance that's how it plays out. Next episode we'll likely see Myrcella cut down and Bronn with her, otherwise there's no real climax to that entire plot and the opener scene with Cersei will have no relevance to the season. They also haven't done enough set up to kill off Tommen, and Kings Landing scenes will be consumed with Cersei's walk and that is enough of a finisher for KL. I have to imagine that we'll get the scene where Oakheart dies (Bronn dies in Jaime's place), Myrcella gets cut down or maimed, and Ellaria and the Sand Snakes are the root cause of it. No matter how it plays out, though, it's a waste of two of the shows best characters for an entire season. Maybe next season we'll get Jaime in the Riverlands, but I'm doubtful because much of the narrative importance of that (The Lannisters struggling to secure the peace, stamping out Stark loyalists, Brotherhood without Banners ect) are greatly diminished.

Who knows where we're going to go with season 6, but season 5 was extremely rough with all the story changes. I'm actually relieved and surprised at how good the past two episodes have been and I'm very hopeful for the finale. If we get 3 solid episodes in a row this will have been a worthwhile season, even with the weak first two thirds. If the trend of lessening quality continues, though, I think we'll wind up with season 7 being good for the last 30 minutes of the series. I miss when season 1 came out and it was basically all movie quality with incredible acting, scripting and world building.

Junkenstein posted:

Gendry is the only surviving (bastard) Baratheon in the show, isn't he? If the D&D even remember he exists.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
There's no way Davos wrote the pink letter dudes.

Not only is Davos on his mission to cannibal island to find Rickon but the letter contains information that would only be available to someone who was in Winterfell, knows about Theon's escape with Jeyne Poole and is aware of the fact that Abel is actually Mance Raydar. Davos meets none of these criteria unless some really strange things happened off page between his last chapter and the arrival of the pink letter at castle black.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Junkenstein posted:

If you were to go by the Maesters/Septons that "legitimized" Robert, it goes

Tommen (if you don't believe he's a Lannister)
Dany
Stannis
Gendry

The entire Targaryen/Baratheon family tree is literally just Dany and Stannis now, plus Robert's bastards and maybe way off down some old line you have the Blackfyres and Daynes, whose 4th cousin was a 5th born Targaryen girl two centuries ago.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

If you were to go by the Maesters/Septons that "legitimized" Robert, it goes

Tommen (if you don't believe he's a Lannister)
Dany
Stannis
Gendry

The entire Targaryen/Baratheon family tree is literally just Dany and Stannis now, plus Robert's bastards and maybe way off down some old line you have the Blackfyres and Daynes, whose 4th cousin was a 5th born Targaryen girl two centuries ago.

females do not inherit before males. A member of another family never inherits before a member of the ruling family. Bastards never inherit.

Tommen
Stannis
Myrcella
Dany

in that order

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Brother Friendship posted:

I got a different vibe from that Dorne scenes last episode. Elaria completely turning from mad to sweet and Doran giving the Lannisters everything they wanted with no price or penalty? No chance that's how it plays out. Next episode we'll likely see Myrcella cut down and Bronn with her, otherwise there's no real climax to that entire plot and the opener scene with Cersei will have no relevance to the season. They also haven't done enough set up to kill off Tommen, and Kings Landing scenes will be consumed with Cersei's walk and that is enough of a finisher for KL. I have to imagine that we'll get the scene where Oakheart dies (Bronn dies in Jaime's place), Myrcella gets cut down or maimed, and Ellaria and the Sand Snakes are the root cause of it. No matter how it plays out, though, it's a waste of two of the shows best characters for an entire season. Maybe next season we'll get Jaime in the Riverlands, but I'm doubtful because much of the narrative importance of that (The Lannisters struggling to secure the peace, stamping out Stark loyalists, Brotherhood without Banners ect) are greatly diminished.

Oh yeah it just occurred to me that the first episode this season had Cersei's prophecy. Myrcella is toast. And Tommen.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

syscall girl posted:

Oh yeah it just occurred to me that the first episode this season had Cersei's prophecy. Myrcella is toast. And Tommen.

Not while Ser Pounce still draws breath.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

TommyGun85 posted:

females do not inherit before males. A member of another family never inherits before a member of the ruling family. Bastards never inherit.

Tommen
Stannis
Myrcella
Dany

in that order

No dude, trueborn daughters inherit before uncles, and inherit before sons in Dorne.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Not while Ser Pounce still draws breath.

The Puss that was Promised.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Dany is not in the waiting list for the throne at all if you go by Robert's lineage. You don't all of a sudden restore the deposed house just because the usurping one ran out of heirs.

Once Tommen and Myrcella bite it the throne would technically go to Stannis but given that he is a traitor he was stripped of his titles and holdings so that's a no go, it's basically gonna be whoever seizes the throne or any living baratheon relative other than Stan.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
mya stone is my queen

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Edric Storm is actually the only bastard Robert ever recognized, though Mya and Gendry are both older than him, he's also noble from both sides so if the Lannisters/Tyrells will feel compelled to install a Baratheon on the throne he is the one they'd seek out. Though given that Brienne recognizes Gendry as Robert's bastard it's quite possible he still has a role to play and he might be championed by the brotherhood or something.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Bella is older than him too I think.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
So will Jon be stabbed because of the wildlings, or because he tries to send troops to support stannis / rescue sansa?

Also, I want to see a showdown between Melisandre and Brienne.

Tit Snake might kill Bronn while making an attempt on Myrcella's life.

We will get "Fire and Blood" line.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 9, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I hope they bring back Timet (son of Timet) to sit the throne.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Alliser and Jon's steward will stab him for helping wildlings because that's been the entire build up this season and they keep making sure to remind people how much that kid loving loathes wildlings with every fiber of his being.

Cersei will do her walk of shame and maybe we'll see Robert Strong.

Kevin will encounter the little birds.

Brienne will sneak in to Winterfell somehow and try to kill Ramsay, fail, and be turned in to a coat for Sansa who will make a giant Frey Pie for the troops as thanks.

Bronn will end up loving tit snake and tell Jaime he's found his prettier wife that was promised.

Bronn may or may not die afterwards.

Fans will continue to be denied a fight scene showing Areo Hotepp go all out because they hate us.

Though the idea we could get Jon's scene, Kevin's scene, and still have other characters (Bronn?) die in the same season finale seems like overkill and will have the "ALL THEY WANT IS SHOCK VALUE" crying cranked up another few notches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
So I assume Barristan's plots are going to Tyrion?