Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Alright bitches, it's time for me to get my game-face on and redeem myself.

But first, Jiyoon trolling everyone with her notes was the best thing :allears:

Fairy Ha developed a small-scale cult of personality, supported by "predicting" disasters that she causes herself, and uses that influence to collect funds via a pyramid scheme. Now she's using that influence to support the redevelopment plans of the Bucket Family's boss. Reporter Min wanted to blow that poo poo out of the water, which gives Fairy Ha significant motive. However, I doubt she would have done the deed herself since she always pays other to pull off the crimes for her.

Pure Jang is another case of scorned love. His Hit and Run criminal record matches the crime, but for now it's only coincidence. Plus, it seems he had worked extremely hard to turn his life around. But on the flip side, the fact that he was betrayed despite that could have caused him to become violent, especially considering his stalker behavior and the fact the he confronted her about the issue about an hour before her death. It's possible he's the criminal.

Repair Hong probably didn't do it. Though his business was brought down by Reporter Min's article, it was her boyfriend (Im)Pure Jang that killed his twin brother, which Hong referred to as a piece of himself having been lost. That, combined with the fact that he was able to start up a new business, suggests he was affected much more by his brother's death than the loss of his business, and therefore his animosity would be directed towards (Im)Pure Jang, not Reporter Min. His story concerning the oil trail behind the car seems plausible too.

Chauffeur Jang is a weird case. He generally has money problems, which were solved mostly by the redevelopment recompense and the fat stack he stole from Reporter Min. It's possible that he would be resentful towards Reporter Min for trying to expose the redevelopment plan which got him $40k, but there's no way to say for sure.

Reporter Kwon Is very likely not the criminal. She may not like her colleague much, but she has the least connections to the redevelopment plan that's the meat of the case, and there's no distinct evidence to say otherwise. Maybe Jiyoon will find some dirt on her in the second half.

Part 2 begins with the classic Hani freakout. :allears:

Of course they'd find some poo poo on Kwon right after beginning the group inspection. First they discover that Kwon was in the car at some point (not quite correct, she came to the scene of the crash at 2:40 which was probably when her earring fell off), and then they discover that Min had evidence to counter Kwon's famous story about Conman Na. Perhaps the important evidence she'd uncovered was about this story and not the redevelopment scheme? That would fit with money that Chauffeur stole from Min, since that money could have been a bribe from Kwon to Min to keep quiet about the Conman Na story. However, why would Kwon kill Min right afterwards? Seems strange, and rather unlikely. She remains my least likely suspect.

And then Kwon discovers that (Im)Pure Jang took the fall for Reporter Min, who was the real criminal in the hit and run case that killed Hong's brother. This opens up a couple of possibilities: 1) Hong discovered this and grew resentful enough to kill her, or 2) (Im)Pure Jang felt scorned enough to kill her. This puts (Im)Pure Jang near the top of my list. My only issue is that since he was not the criminal in that case, it seems less likely that he would be willing to resort to that level of violence. But he's one of the two people that would have put Yoonsungho into the GPS, which greatly improves the likelyhood that he's the criminal. Top of the list he goes.

Considering what Hani overheard of the phone conversation between Kwon and Min, I'm reconsidering Kwon as the criminal. There's also the fact that Kwon is the other of the two people most likely to enter Yoonsungho into the GPS. However, I still think she's a rather unlikely suspect.

Jinho puts out a theory that Chauffeur Jang was driving her to the lake to kill her. I think this is plausible, and maybe he knocked her out before doing so, which explains the blood in the car. It also explains the bruising on her forehead, assuming that was the means of knocking her out. Jang would not have known about the brakes being cut and crashed the car. However, why is he not hurt, in that case? But the revelation that he was not supposed to be the driver adds to his potential as the criminal. I'll put him second on my list.

Fairy Ha is then implicated by the black box cam not being able to confirm her alibi, and the text from the Bucket Family along with the exuberance of her contract with them makes her much more of a suspect. As much a suspect as Jang? Not really.

Pythagoras God deducing Jinho as the criminal because of his second-place career :allears:

I feel like there was some key information missing, probably about Fairy Ha, that would break this deadlock, but looks like no one found anything in the final inspection.

I guess I'll put my money in Pure Jang

:negative:

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Oh Viggy, never change :allears:. Meanwhile, my streak continues!

I was on board the Fairy Hani train once they pointed out that the dye in her pendant looked just like blood, so I figured she was driving the car and got some on the steering wheel during the crash. She also was the last person we knew the victim met with, and her motive got more developed once we knew she had $1 million and her safety on the line. Detective Park's clues were the icing on the cake, I'm surprised she didn't reveal what she had found to everyone once the vote was tied. Maybe she told them and they just didn't show it. I was almost thrown by the GPS, but her having a photo showing her at the lake actually worked as evidence against her in my mind, since it confirms she knew bout it, whereas the roadside sign could be a coincidence, and the criminal was probably driving the victim to the lake already when the accident happened. I very nearly went with BoA though, and I was really surprised that only Dongmin voted for her.

It's a shame that Hani keeps getting caught as the criminal, if she was better at hiding her crime and throwing suspicion on others she could be cleaning up. She got close this time though with the tie at the end. I'm just selfishly hoping that she gets a big money infusion so I'm sure to see her in the final though, with her looks, beautiful laugh, good English and amazing overreactions I'm falling for her big time. I'm talking Choa and Ahyoung levels of :swoon:.

I really want Worker Kim to be the criminal again and not get caught. That would be some next-level play to pull that off twice, with everyone warmed up to crime scene and suspecting you more right out the gate the second time around.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
2/3rds through the episode, I'm calling it that it's Chauffeur Jang because he's really Conman Na. It looked like he was busted when everyone realised his phone was a different number but then they all just swerved away from following that thought through.

e: In fairness, my idea would have been way better. Credit to Park though, that was some great deduction work.

Rarity fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 9, 2015

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

NowonSA posted:

I was on board the Fairy Hani train once they pointed out that the dye in her pendant looked just like blood, so I figured she was driving the car and got some on the steering wheel during the crash. She also was the last person we knew the victim met with, and her motive got more developed once we knew she had $1 million and her safety on the line. Detective Park's clues were the icing on the cake, I'm surprised she didn't reveal what she had found to everyone once the vote was tied. Maybe she told them and they just didn't show it. I was almost thrown by the GPS, but her having a photo showing her at the lake actually worked as evidence against her in my mind, since it confirms she knew bout it, whereas the roadside sign could be a coincidence, and the criminal was probably driving the victim to the lake already when the accident happened. I very nearly went with BoA though, and I was really surprised that only Dongmin voted for her.

It's a shame that Hani keeps getting caught as the criminal, if she was better at hiding her crime and throwing suspicion on others she could be cleaning up. She got close this time though with the tie at the end. I'm just selfishly hoping that she gets a big money infusion so I'm sure to see her in the final though, with her looks, beautiful laugh, good English and amazing overreactions I'm falling for her big time. I'm talking Choa and Ahyoung levels of :swoon:.

I really want Worker Kim to be the criminal again and not get caught. That would be some next-level play to pull that off twice, with everyone warmed up to crime scene and suspecting you more right out the gate the second time around.

Yeah I really agree BoA was seeming way more suspicious with just the way she was acting, but I don't know a lot about her and obviously the cast does. My logic side of my brain was definitely suspecting Fairy the most though.The idea that it was chauffeur Jang seemed pretty preposterous to me, the Black Box pretty much completely exonerates him, because why would he steal the money leave, and then come back to murder her? Though I would have liked to know what in Dongmin's dossier had him acting like he was, because the guy definitely seemed like he was supposed to have some kind of disorder, but we never found out oh well. Anyway very exited for return of Worker Kim!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Rarity posted:

2/3rds through the episode, I'm calling it that it's Chauffeur Jang because he's really Conman Na. It looked like he was busted when everyone realised his phone was a different number but then they all just swerved away from following that thought through.

e: In fairness, my idea would have been way better. Credit to Park though, that was some great deduction work.
Whoa, that's a pretty cool idea. I'm surprised they didn't write something like that now that I've heard it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I love the callbacks to the previous mysteries, like how BoA said she wrote a huge story on Kangnam Park. Also when BoA said she was very "by the book" and then did the salute that Dongmin did as the mate on the ship. Dongmin is consistently hilarious.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
BoA was great and you can tell that she's actually a fan of the show.

Hani was great too with her fortune telling. Actually Jiyoon and Dongmin were great too. So were Jinho and the director.

What I'm saying is, I like this cast.

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010
The guests have all been great so far as well. Has there been any dud guests? I'm unable to recall anyone being a dud. Even the bald guy playing the corpse was great at his role!

If only I could remember the director's name. He deserves some commendations because I'm sure people were expecting much from him since and how unknown he was to a lot of us. I'm glad I was on the neutral ground and was open to him being on the show. After his slow start, he started to become better as time went on.

BurningDance fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 9, 2015

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

BurningDance posted:

The guests have all been great so far as well. Has there been any dud guests? I'm unable to recall anyone being a dud. Even the bald guy playing the corpse was great at his role!

If only I could remember the director's name. He deserves some commendations because I'm sure people were expecting much from him since and how unknown he was to a lot of us. I'm glad I was on the neutral ground and was open to him being on the show. After his slow start, he started to become better as time went on.

Its this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jang_Jin

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Wow, I didn't know Director Jang was involved in the creation of SNL Korea and hosted its Update desk for awhile, that's pretty baller. In fact, with his resume I'd say he's the biggest star they've had on Crime Scene as either a guest or a cast member. Neat!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

NowonSA posted:

You know what? I think it's because I'm writing out these detailed trip reports that I'm way overthinking things and forcibly ignoring my instincts. In hindsight, the criminal seems pretty obvious given the amount of pressure he/she was under. Next episode, I'll try to figure it out first, then write my thoughts down afterwards.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I didn't know he wrote Going By The Book, that's one of my favourite korean films.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

You know what? I think it's because I'm writing out these detailed trip reports that I'm way overthinking things and forcibly ignoring my instincts. In hindsight, the criminal seems pretty obvious given the amount of pressure he/she was under. Next episode, I'll try to figure it out first, then write my thoughts down afterwards.

I really like those write-ups, but do whatever you wanna do.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

I also thought it was Pure Jang up until the very end where they showed Jiyoon finding the clues related to Fairy Ha. That pretty much implicated him/her 100% and I switched my vote like 10 seconds before it was revealed.

also agreed on Hani :swoon:

Subyng fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 10, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I really like those write-ups, but do whatever you wanna do.

I'm gonna do a similar write-up, but I'll do it after watching up to just before the reveal.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The Genius S4: Interview with Idiotape. :allears:

Y'know, the guys what do the opening theme and a lot of the other awesome music used in the show.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
fyi they have a second album out now, "Tours". not as good as 11111101, but still pretty solid

http://www.amazon.com/Tours-Idiotape/dp/B00MZBT02G/

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.
Ah, this one threw me. Pure Jang didn't need to do it, he had the memory card, so it was down to Fairy Ha or Colleague Kwon, and I guessed based on the earring in the car.

Also, it's strange to me that Jiyoon must not have mentioned her decisive clues when they were tie-breaking. Unless Jinho just picked wrong anyway? Variety is weird.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Enkor posted:

Ah, this one threw me. Pure Jang didn't need to do it, he had the memory card, so it was down to Fairy Ha or Colleague Kwon, and I guessed based on the earring in the car.

Also, it's strange to me that Jiyoon must not have mentioned her decisive clues when they were tie-breaking. Unless Jinho just picked wrong anyway? Variety is weird.

She only found those clues in the last 3 minutes of searching, that happens after they're last chance to talk to each other.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Rarity posted:

She only found those clues in the last 3 minutes of searching, that happens after they're last chance to talk to each other.

And they want to keep the game interesting, if she did that any tension would be gone. Every now and then you get the feeling someone is acting with that in mind (rather than winning). Just like how the players could just share all their information at the start and figure it out much quicker... but that obviously wouldn't make for a very interesting gameshow.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Piriwi posted:

Just like how the players could just share all their information at the start and figure it out much quicker... but that obviously wouldn't make for a very interesting gameshow.

I'm interested to know exactly what the rules are. In the early segments whenever someone says something suspicious, the questioner will drop it and move on without questioning them further. They also only investigate what is on a person physically (in their clothes, their cell phones etc) later on in an episode, and people will only admit things when questioned about it (so I'm guessing there are rules like like "you can only reveal this if someone directly asks you about it").

I'd honestly enjoy the show more if I knew the specifics about these rules and the constraints they are working under instead of wondering why every episode doesn't start with "hey everyone, empty your pockets, handbags etc".

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
One of the rules that isn't implicitly stated (though sometimes mentioned) is that you always have to answer a question. You can be dismissive or try to dodge/circumvent the question to prevent leaking certain information, but they have to answer. But they can't lie.

As for searching other players, I suppose that if they coordinated more then more things could be revealed early, but maybe they're told not to do that too early by the production staff. It makes for great drama, but also makes the analysis more confusing.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Enkor posted:

It couldn't have been boa because she couldnt have returned to the scene in time to commit the crime

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Rather than rules, they probably just have some general guidelines that can be relaxed if the players aren't finding new evidence/clues. I think the detective might also receive additional instructions to make sure the game runs smoothly. You can sometimes see some signalling to the detective, usually to indicate time is up.

And they have to answer questions, but at the same time they are not supposed to give out personal information unless asked or to back up a deduction. And I think they have to try to back up their own questions with evidence or previous knowledge. Some guests struggle with it... they either don't ask many questions (or ask questions that make no sense) or they give out too much information too early (like in this episode).

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
A good strategy would be for them to turn around their cards if they say innocent. Really solve it quickly

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Hat Thoughts posted:

A good strategy would be for them to turn around their cards if they say innocent. Really solve it quickly

Half the point of the show is that they are role-playing one of the suspects. That would defeat the point of the game.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Ya think?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I lost my poo poo when they turned over the pillow and it was an anime body pillow. Since he's in a hunting competition, I want to imagine he's the main character from I Am A Hero.

"Even if you couldn't kill an ant, you could kill a person." :allears:

Game Time:
Right off the bat, I'm interested in Solitary Ha. It seems she's not really interested in the competition at all and is here to do something else (perhaps discover who disappeared her relative/boyfriend 15 years ago, if that's the case?). Perhaps she buried a body with that shovel? It seems she's the one who committed the first murder, 15 years ago. Perhaps she killed Lee to hide what he'd (supposedly) discovered? Amateur Jang too has a shovel and some other digging tools, plus it's his first appearance at a competition he seems unsuited to. Plus he's a criminal for hire, in a sense. But that feels like red herring material (it seems he was at the competition to win some money for his father's funerals costs. Or... treasure hunting?), so Ha is still my immediate suspect.

I'm finding it silly that everyone's suspecting Innocent Kim based purely on his otaku weirdness (at first). Then again, I am an anime nerd, and therefore biased. But would he kill someone because they conned a couple thousand bucks off him? ...Possibly? The texts on his phone suggest so, and the fact that Lee is the conman could have incited his wrath. But I think he was running away because of that very feeling, which I think fits his character. Unlikely suspect.

I think an affair between Park and Lee is plausible, and it's also plausible that violent Jang killed Lee out of jealousy. But it's possible Innocent Kim instigated the fight by sending both parties the messages to meet.

I'm going to rule out Park because dragging the body 1km then hiding it under a pile of dirt is not something she would or could do. Ha, being a former soldier, could absolutely do it, and so could the testosterone pumped Violent Jang, and possibly Kim and Amateur Jang. Well, all of that got invalidated by the fact that it was the skeleton of the previous murder from 15 years ago that was in the well.

Oh my god, Kim playing up the otaku role was amazing :allears:

I think all of the important clues about Amateur Jang have been revealed, because I'm very sure he's not the culprit. He joined the competition in order to search for treasure based on a map from his recently deceased father, and later on to kidnap Lee, not kill him.

Oh, hey, they finally found the body.

As expected, death by antler. Somewhat unexpectedly, Park'd asked Lee to kill Violent Jang so she could get away; it wasn't an affair. But I think this escalates the possibility that Jang is the killer, because it would have given Lee a reason to want to meet and fight Jang. Also, the location of the body suggests someone familiar with the lodge hid the body there, which implicates Jang more. It also validates Park's alibi since the story seems to fit. The axe in Lee's bag was probably used to cut the chain, like Dongmin suggested, which validates my suspicions of Ha (also she started trying to aggressively divert suspicion). As Dongmin also suggested, Lee had no qualms about blackmailing/tricking people for personal gain, so him confronting Ha about the body seems plausible. But then they find a velvet bag that most likely held Jang's jewel - in Lee's bag. That implies that Jang killed Lee to get the jewel back, which fits with the fact that Jang stayed an extra day despite supposedly already having the jewel. But how would he know to hide the body in that secret hole under the floorboards? And, as Kim explains, why would Jang leave the pouch behind and just take the jewel? That would incriminate him.

But the kicker is Violent Jang's revelation about the swapped bags. That detail exists to provide Lee the location of the treasure. He may have cut the chain in order to look for it. This incriminates the other Jang very thoroughly, since part of his argument is that Lee didn't know where the treasure was.

I think this was a great case today. Really well structured, and the uniqueness of it definitely helped. My vote is for Amateur Jang I have my issues with that choice, but his weak responses and Violent's revelation overshadow them.

Well, I got it right finally, but somehow it didn't feel very satisfying. I need a week where I get it right when the majority gets it wrong. Perhaps next week?

Speaking of which, I am so siked to watch everyone get wrecked by a freaking professor of crime science as the detective. I hope he'll do better than his predecessor though, poor guy.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Okay so i'm only 29m in and I'm going to try a Viggy I think pwetty princess is the victim in the case

eta- Well I'm finished andI was right about pwetty, but I was pretty torn about who the criminal was, there was a lot of evidence against Agent Jang, but Jino's arguments were very persuasive, so I have no idea who I'd have chose in the moment. I will say next seems super dope can't wait.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 15, 2015

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'm still at a 100% success rate, though I needed a certain late revelation to be sure.

A really fun case this time, Kim is the best guest by far. He played his role so drat well. Sexy Park was fun too, and I really loved the appearance of Jang Lesnar. There actually were a lot of clues pointing toward Dongmin this week, he did a good job to even manage a tie with Hani. Oh, and Hani's random dancing around at the end was super cute, and she was cute when she kept laughing despite trying to play a stoic role. Basically, Hani is still the cutest, the end.

Really looking forward to next week! Double stakes, people playing themselves, and a proper profiler as the detective, count me in. My top pick for victim is the detective's assistant. This could be a seriously meta episode though, like if they're playing themselves is it a crime scene set that's dressed to look like... a crime scene set? Hopefully they all play exaggerated versions of themselves too, I want Hani dancing and posing at almost every moment, for example. There have been some great episodes, but I fully expect this next episode to be the best of the season by far, unless the finale is just completely over the top, which in fairness it probably will be.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

Speaking of which, I am so siked to watch everyone get wrecked by a freaking professor of crime science as the detective. I hope he'll do better than his predecessor though, poor guy.

I think the difference is that this guy seems like he gets the game of it, where the other guy probably never has to deal with a case where 5 people had a ton of evidence against them. Plus Yoonji tears always work.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

:frog:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

meat on a Friday
Dec 9, 2010

Jinho dressed as Detective Conan was great

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Towards the end I was bouncing between Hani and Dongmin for my guess.

Lee had probably uncovered the body from 15 years ago, which gives Hani motive and the fact that she'd been repeatedly signing up for a competition she wasn't actually participating in showed that she was up to something. She also knew the area and had killed before, so killing Lee was definitely possible. Lee had also shown himself to be a bit of a con-artist, constantly extorting people over their secrets so it seemed possible he might've tried to blackmail Hani if he figured out that she was responsible. Or Hani might've killed him preemptively if she worked out that he knew.

If Lee found the necklace first then that would give Dongmin motive. Jinho argued that Dongmin didn't know the area, but forgot that people had sold land to Violent Jang (and if the hiding spot was only 1km away from the cabin it was likely that the Jewel Thief Jang owned the cabin). Dongmin's reason for being at the cabin being the $100000 bounty on Jang was very convincing for a long time but in retrospect kind of gets shut down when the map pops up (I didn't realize this at the time though}. Lee having the necklace bag suggested that Lee found the necklace first (if Agent Jang found it first then presumably he'd keep the bag and even if he didn't Lee would have no reason to take an empty bag, if Agent Jang stole it off Lee then he might miss the bag). However the thing that made me doubt this possibility was a) how did Lee find the necklace without having the map and b) how did Lee know the necklace was worth anything.

So what really gave it away was when Violent Jang pointed out that the accidental bag swap could've given Lee a peek at the map. Suddenly that convinced me Dongmin was the culprit (the bag switch a seemingly irrelevant detail that's actually vital for properly explaining the case and I thought that was the clever thing that they'd go for.) So overall I think the film director has impressed me the most at solving cases.

NowonSA posted:

Really looking forward to next week! Double stakes, people playing themselves, and a proper profiler as the detective, count me in.

A real detective and everybody playing themselves. :getin: All aboard the hype train!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I hope the real profiler has watched all the episodes of the show. That's probably more important than being an actual professional.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Eastwood posted:

Jinho dressed as Detective Conan was great

I'm super behind but can I please get a screencap of this

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I want to see the detective be the criminal. It sounds like the kind of troll the production would pull off eventually.

Solitary Hani didn't seem the kind of person who would murder someone like people were claiming. The way she kept the dogtag gave credibility to the story that the skeleton's death was an accident.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Hahaha the swastika

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FM_VKR7cR4

Just little mini interview while creating those posters, Yohwan actually being pretty funny here.