Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

mallamp posted:

You seem pretty devoted so I'd say it's time for Elantris. It's not as good as stuff you've read but it's still a fun Sanderson doorstopper and it'll get sequel. Then Emperors Soul and that's pretty much it for major Cosmere works. Well there's plenty of short stuff and YA after that if you're going to go all in. Perfect State was pretty good and Reckoners has its moments.

I liked Elantris more than Warbreaker and the Mistborn books, easily. Hrathen was a more interesting character than anybody in those books and the ending was not that bad compared to Warbreaker's "Oh, the invasion of your homeland that you've been worrying about? Here, you can have my invincible golem army! It'll resolve the crisis in two sentences!"

Khizan fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Khizan posted:

I liked Elantris more than Warbreaker and the Mistborn books, easily. Hrathen was a more interesting character than anybody in those books and the ending was not that bad compared to Warbreaker's "Oh, the invasion of your homeland that you've been worrying about? Here, you can have my invincible golem army! It'll resolve the crisis in two sentences!"

Yeah but hrathen is The Good Thing about elantris, and if that's not enough it's going to fall flat.

The invading army bit of Warbreaker isn't the point, so that criticism falls apart pretty hard. It does suffer from having 2 female leads that are the same character at different ends of the same arc though, elantris is better in that way because it only has one of that character.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

senae posted:

Mitosis - the direct sequel to Steelheart, and I found kind of skippable

IIRC Mitosis was one of the candidates for an opener to Firefight he didn't end up using, so it's skippable because it was designed fill a niche that is already filled in the next book.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Elantris and Warbreaker are pretty similar books (they're quite "constrained"). I think biggest flaw (and maybe strength, for uniqueness) in both is that they're more like fantasy mysteries than usual epic fantasy. I don't really like mystery books. Elantris mystery is bit more interesting though as it's more academic and I like that. Warbreaker has pretty weird DBZ power level magic that's even named 'BioChromatic' like straight outta anime. Actually Warbreaker is probably my least favorite big Sanderson book. As for Elantris anniversary edition , isn't it going to be more like "bug fix" where he'll move some geography around and not actual rewrite. I don't remember anything obviously weird about geography so it's pretty much one for super wikidwelleres only.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I'm glad I read warbreaker before the stormlight books. Reading the cliffhanger and going "holy poo poo!" Was fun.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
People who criticise the opening of Stormlight for being too videogamey definitely shouldn't read Warbreaker.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

People who criticise the opening of Stormlight for being too videogamey definitely shouldn't read Warbreaker.

All of Sanderson's books are video gamey.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
My point stands; Warbreaker is the most videogamey of his books so far, by a long shot. He's said himself, you can drat near see the bar detailing how many Breaths the characters have at any given moment, and the thresholds for what they do are innumerated perfectly.

I'd be surprised if some obsessive hasn't gone through the book and calculated the figures exactly, I'm fairly sure it would be possible.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

My point stands; Warbreaker is the most videogamey of his books so far, by a long shot. He's said himself, you can drat near see the bar detailing how many Breaths the characters have at any given moment, and the thresholds for what they do are innumerated perfectly.

I'd be surprised if some obsessive hasn't gone through the book and calculated the figures exactly, I'm fairly sure it would be possible.

Someone tried so they could set up an RPG system. Apparently there isn't enough info, even when you combine all the numbers mentioned in pre-final drafts and then edited out.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
He should post the rules to the ball game on his website, I really wonder how it works and how Lightsong always won

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Welp. Had free time so I finished Stormlight 2 less than a week after the first one. Had the same problem as in the first book in that I just wanted Kaladin all the time, but at least Shallan got better after she stopped blushing and doing dumb naive things every other paragraph. I was just about to give up on my promised Warbreaker tie-in as well, but I'm glad it paid off. How exactly are you supposed to piece together the whole Cosmere interconnection between Mistborn, Stormlight and Warbreaker anyway? Except for the explicit link between Stormlight 2 and Warbreaker, I would never have guessed they're all in different planes of the same universe or whatever. Cosmere was namedropped once in Stormlight 1 and that's it. Is this something that has been pieced together from Sanderson's public commentary? I guess I can figure it out myself since I can now dive into wikis while fearing minimal spoilers. Now all I have to read are short stories. :(

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xtanstic posted:

Welp. Had free time so I finished Stormlight 2 less than a week after the first one. Had the same problem as in the first book in that I just wanted Kaladin all the time, but at least Shallan got better after she stopped blushing and doing dumb naive things every other paragraph. I was just about to give up on my promised Warbreaker tie-in as well, but I'm glad it paid off. How exactly are you supposed to piece together the whole Cosmere interconnection between Mistborn, Stormlight and Warbreaker anyway? Except for the explicit link between Stormlight 2 and Warbreaker, I would never have guessed they're all in different planes of the same universe or whatever. Cosmere was namedropped once in Stormlight 1 and that's it. Is this something that has been pieced together from Sanderson's public commentary? I guess I can figure it out myself since I can now dive into wikis while fearing minimal spoilers. Now all I have to read are short stories. :(

If you're looking for it, some things are obvious (like Hoid and the guys in one of TWOK's interludes). A lot of the rest is interview-fuelled.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Xtanstic posted:

How exactly are you supposed to piece together the whole Cosmere interconnection between Mistborn, Stormlight and Warbreaker anyway?

You're not. Almost everything that's known about it is because Sanderson has a big mouth and won't stop talking about it in interviews.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

There are commonalities in the series. Hoid, magic coming in solid, liquid, and gaseous forms, anything with the word 'shard' being really important. Still, Sanderson himself talkes about it pretty freely.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Sanderson's just loving awful for telling people poo poo at signings/cons/etc. He basically killed TWoT theory arguments by telling people everything outside books.

Take, for instance, Dalinar's boon/curse. You can read the book and go "ooh, maybe he asked to forget his wife and the curse is something else, that'd be interesting", but then Sanderson just goes "no I didn't even think of that" at a book store signing. Oh boy super fun.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Tunicate posted:

If you're looking for it, some things are obvious (like Hoid and the guys in one of TWOK's interludes). A lot of the rest is interview-fuelled.

drat I completely missed the Hoid connections. I was trying too hard to see how he fit in the Stormlight mythology. Which dudes in the TWOK interludes are you referring to?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xtanstic posted:

drat I completely missed the Hoid connections. I was trying too hard to see how he fit in the Stormlight mythology. Which dudes in the TWOK interludes are you referring to?

There's a lake with magic fish, and some out of place guys who are trying to find someone else. It's pretty obvious they're looking for Hoid, and that they're not local.

In WoR, there's a set of trophies that look like they're each from a different world as well.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Tunicate posted:

There's a lake with magic fish, and some out of place guys who are trying to find someone else. It's pretty obvious they're looking for Hoid, and that they're not local.

In WoR, there's a set of trophies that look like they're each from a different world as well.

Ah that makes sense. I had that scene pegged as people searching for Szeth. I hope I remember most of these details when I reread the books down the line.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

mossyfisk posted:

Sanderson's just loving awful for telling people poo poo at signings/cons/etc. He basically killed TWoT theory arguments by telling people everything outside books.

Good. I wish GRRM would go on a rampage and start snuffing out some of the really dumb ASOIAF theories.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mossyfisk posted:

Take, for instance, Dalinar's boon/curse. You can read the book and go "ooh, maybe he asked to forget his wife and the curse is something else, that'd be interesting", but then Sanderson just goes "no I didn't even think of that" at a book store signing. Oh boy super fun.

Did you know Robert Jordan spilled who killed Asmodean in an interview shortly after the book came out?

He clammed up afterwards because he found the continued speculation to be hilarious. His notes actually included a printout of this fanfic with handwritten 'this is correct'.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

There's a quote in Stormlight two where Jasnah basically tells Shallan that saying the first thing to come to mind is not clever.

Anyone know it offhand?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ithaqua posted:

You're not. Almost everything that's known about it is because Sanderson has a big mouth and won't stop talking about it in interviews.

It's not that simple. A lot of the time, he is actually only confirming fan theories that people ask him about, so someone has indeed found out about it without Sanderson telling them. The clues are there, it's just that we are a lot more certain in our knowledge since he doesn't say RAFO as often as other authors.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Tunicate posted:

Did you know Robert Jordan spilled who killed Asmodean in an interview shortly after the book came out?

He clammed up afterwards because he found the continued speculation to be hilarious. His notes actually included a printout of this fanfic with handwritten 'this is correct'.

Lucas revealed that Darth Vader is Luke's son at a con before Star Wars V was released. People that interact will tell each other things that maybe shouldn't be told. If it is information that is critical it will find its way into the main medium anyway. Everything else is nice fluff for the hardcore fans.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Decius posted:

Lucas revealed that Darth Vader is Luke's son at a con before Star Wars V was released.

Wow, I'd really like to read that version of the script!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Tunicate posted:

That is awesome. Glad I clicked the link.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Tor.com has a post about Shadows of Self (Mistborn 5):

http://www.tor.com/2015/06/18/british-fiction-focus-covering-shadows-of-self-by-brandon-sanderson/

It begins with Sanderson.txt:

quote:

Once upon a time, Waxillium “Wax” Ladrian and his best mate Wayne were of precious little significance in the grand scheme of Brandon Sanderson. They had small parts to play in a creative writing exercise meant to help clear the author’s head before he completed work on The Wheel of Time series. But Sanderson’s practice blossomed into a proper short story… a short story that kept growing and growing until, before long, a whole new novel was born!

Here is the updated blurb:

quote:

It is more than 300 years after the events of the The Final Empire shaped Scadrial. The heroes of the Mistborn series are now figures of myth and legend—objects of religious veneration, even—who have long since been succeeded.

Chief among the wonderful new cast of characters introduced in The Alloy of Law, we have Waxillium ‘Wax’ Ladrian, the hereditary Lord of House Ladrian—and also, until recently, a lawman in the ungoverned frontier region known as the Roughs, where Wax worked with his eccentric but effective buddy, Wayne. They are ‘twinborn,’ meaning they are able to use both Allomantic and Feruchemical magic.

Shadows of Self shows Mistborn’s society evolving as technology and magic mix, the economy grows, democracy contends with corruption, and religion becomes a growing cultural force, with four faiths competing for converts. This bustling, optimistic, but still shaky civilisation now faces its first terrorists, who commit crimes intended to stir up labour strife and religious conflict. Assisted by the lovely, brilliant Marasi, Wax and Wayne must unravel the conspiracy before Scadrial’s progress is stopped in its tracks.

Sounds like there will be a lot more politics going on there, as well as a closer look at the competing religions (Pathism, Sliverism, probably Trellism, ...?). Also, steampunk combined with Allomancy and Ferruchemy will become more important, that aspect of their society didn't receive enough attention in Alloy of Law.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Torrannor posted:

(Pathism, Sliverism, probably Trellism, ...?).

I'm sure Church of the Survivor is in there somewhere.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Has anyone seen Brandon's tweets regarding Stormight 3? Cause I'm getting hyped even though he just started :v:

I am really excited to read about the Blackthorn.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So is oathbringer a book named after a sword or a sword named after a book?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm kind of inclined to say that Dalinar himself is the Oathbringer, what with the events right at the end of WoR. Like, he brings the Oaths that lay the foundation for rebuilding the Knights Radiant.

Or maybe it is about the sword and all the flashbacks are about him murdering dudes in pursuit of the unified kingdom. :black101:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Dalinar's a Bondsmith, and apparently they were extremely few in number among the knights but extremely important? Given who Dalinar bonds with it'd make sense.

Arrath posted:

Has anyone seen Brandon's tweets regarding Stormight 3? Cause I'm getting hyped even though he just started :v:

Yeah I want the Highprince of War stuff. Especially the political aftermath of the events at the end of book 2.

Dalinar, when younger, sounded like a complete badass and his brother sounded pretty similar. Those two (and Saedas) young and forging and empire? I'm all ears.

Wonder how they'll handle interactions with his wife, or if she'll just be excluded since he has no direct memory of her.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Since they're not the actual memories in relation to the present time of the characters I imagine she'll be a real character and not just shshshsh.

In the sense that they are in the present tense for the time of the flashback as opposed to being written as a memory from the present time. If that makes sense.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Arrath posted:

I just got goosebumps, what the hell is wrong with me

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Fezz posted:

Since they're not the actual memories in relation to the present time of the characters I imagine she'll be a real character and not just shshshsh.

In the sense that they are in the present tense for the time of the flashback as opposed to being written as a memory from the present time. If that makes sense.

Yeah, I get it. Flashback scenes written from a narrative or outside perspective wouldn't be affected by Dalinar's curse. Now, if he has any scenes of reminiscing or flashbacks within his own pov chapters, I fully expect some fuzziness and some (maybe even unsettling) voids.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Dalinar's a Bonds
mith, and apparently they were extremely few in number among the knights but extremely important? Given who Dalinar bonds with it'd make sense.

I'm really just hoping for some kind of "we're getting our poo poo together" arc where the orders of the Radiants are refounded and more characters get dbz powerups v:

Arrath fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 19, 2015

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Arrath posted:

Agreed, he seems like a pretty cool dude:

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
Now taking bets on whether we will get a How I Met Your Mother deal with his flashbacks, where we don't even know which woman he'll marry and forget until near the end of the book.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
I'm thinking about picking up the Stormlight Archive series and I just want to know if its too "light hearted" like Harry Potter or more "gritty" like Asofai? Looking for more of the latter, personally. TIA!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Immortan posted:

I'm thinking about picking up the Stormlight Archive series and I just want to know if its too "light hearted" like Harry Potter or more "gritty" like Asofai? Looking for more of the latter, personally. TIA!

Much more on the lighthearted side. Maybe not quite as much as Harry Potter, but it's definitely on that end of the spectrum.

Most of Sanderson's works are, really.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Immortan posted:

If I ranked them with Harry Potter being at 1 and asofai being 10, I think I would put storm light right in the middle at 5. It's no where near as gritty, but the story is more complex with deeper motivations for characters and a more interesting story structure (interleaved flashbacks that slowly reveal character backstory, as well as often being thematically suited to the current time events).

If you've read wot I'd say that would be a 6, maybe.

I don't mind my gritty fantasy, but sometimes I want something a bit lighter that feels like it's going somewhere. That's what storm light is to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010

Strumpy posted:

If I ranked them with Harry Potter being at 1 and asofai being 10, I think I would put storm light right in the middle at 5. It's no where near as gritty, but the story is more complex with deeper motivations for characters and a more interesting story structure (interleaved flashbacks that slowly reveal character backstory, as well as often being thematically suited to the current time events).

If you've read wot I'd say that would be a 6, maybe.

I don't mind my gritty fantasy, but sometimes I want something a bit lighter that feels like it's going somewhere. That's what storm light is to me.

I would agree with it being about even with Wheel of Time in grittiness, with WoT being slightly ahead.