Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
No I'm equating critically listening to music for 12-13 hours a day and getting paid for it. Try mixing a decent post rock track after 8 hours of listening to Mr Top End on CD. Suppose it does sound pretty :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
your first mistake was implying that a decent post rock track exists theory destroyed

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
http://store.milanrecords.com/robocop-ost-2xlp.html

The original Robocop OST is getting a fancy 2xLP repress. It's a very good score and if anyone is interested Amazon is also selling it a buck or two cheaper.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

1000 umbrellas posted:

Any Chicagoans with recommendations for the best place to run into early noise/avant/industrial stuff? Looking for like Whitehouse, Nurse With Wound, Current 93... did the Lincoln Park circuit today and hit Reckless, Gramaphone, and Dave's with little luck (one beat up reissue of "Birthdeath Experience" that I chose not to pay $35 for).

Definitely check out Saki. Most of it shows low or out of stock, but they have tons of stuff like that and would probably be willing to order it for you. Bit of a hike from Lincoln Park though.

https://sakistore.net/mailorder/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=whitehouse&x=0&y=0
https://sakistore.net/mailorder/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=nurse+with+wound&x=0&y=0
https://sakistore.net/mailorder/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=current+93&x=0&y=0

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
it's odd because i bought a ton of c93/coil/prurient stuff the last time i was in reckless

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
nm

Barry fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 1, 2015

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Cyberball 2072 posted:

http://store.milanrecords.com/robocop-ost-2xlp.html

The original Robocop OST is getting a fancy 2xLP repress. It's a very good score and if anyone is interested Amazon is also selling it a buck or two cheaper.

I feel like I should have something to say about this.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

stay depressed posted:

your first mistake was implying that a decent post rock track exists theory destroyed

:eyepop:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Coming soon to a Hot Topic near you...

There's not a single Mega Man 3 track included. :negative:

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

CPL593H posted:

I feel like I should have something to say about this.

The track list is weird, it's a remaster from the original tapes but there's titles from the original release missing. Not sure what to make of it.

Ballz posted:

Oh yea, all those sweet hits from mega man 4-10 that everyone loves. Hey guys you all remember the peak of the series, mega man 5 and 6. Guys? Guys?

As a megaman fan, sonic fans have it good. That's how bad megaman fans get treated. It's always a pile of poop with a blue helmet these days.

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 10, 2015

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Dear God, Side D of Fantomas' Delirum Cordia is the 20 minute segment of the sound of a record skipping, they didn't just put in a locked groove. :psyduck:

I guess they wanted the countdown at the end?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Got my Sticky Fingers reissue today so I can stop playing my original pressing with non broken zipper jacket /dadrock

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Cyberball 2072 posted:

The track list is weird, it's a remaster from the original tapes but there's titles from the original release missing. Not sure what to make of it.

That's weird especially as it's a double LP. Maybe this edition just has different titles for some tracks.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

caligulamprey posted:

Dear God, Side D of Fantomas' Delirum Cordia is the 20 minute segment of the sound of a record skipping, they didn't just put in a locked groove. :psyduck:

I guess they wanted the countdown at the end?

yeah that's.... ok

the OST for the indie game Super Time Force has some pretty weird stuff going on with it too. Each side has 4 lock grooves at the end, side A has 2 additional tracks of digital ham radio data and side B has an additional track after the lockgrooves that uses the grooves themselves to spell out text.

of course all of that is in the runout so people with auto returning players are SOL

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Ballz posted:

The picture disc variant is going to be sold at Hot Topic. The other versions will be sold via Spacelab9... and you can vote on what those colors will be here: http://spacelab9.tumblr.com/post/120825878403/function-var-opst (each color variant is based on a boss).

I asked Spacelab9 why there are no MM3 tracks, and they said Capcom picked out the tracklist, not them. Oh well. Mega Man 3 was my favorite game, so I'm disappointed as well. Hopefully that means if this sells well we will see a MM3 soundtrack vinyl! lol probably not

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

There's nothing I want to do more after a long hard day at work than come home, kick off my shoes, and spin the Mega Man 3 soundtrack.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

a worthy uhh posted:

There's nothing I want to do more after a long hard day at work than come home, kick off my shoes, and spin the Mega Man 3 soundtrack.

I like to shop at hot topic to unwind a little bit, myself.

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx

Brinner posted:

No I'm equating critically listening to music for 12-13 hours a day and getting paid for it. Try mixing a decent post rock track after 8 hours of listening to Mr Top End on CD. Suppose it does sound pretty :spergin:

Wouldn't your ears be tired after listening to 8 hours of anything? What does it being on CD or vinyl have to do with it? Is there any reason why a CD would be inherently more 'tiring' than any other medium, given that the content itself was mixed properly?

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

a worthy uhh posted:

Actually I save my 8 bit soundtracks for when I'm loving.

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Actually I save my 8 bit soundtracks for when I'm loving.

At least when you go to sell them, they'll still be in NM condition.

:downsrim:

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

snakeandbake posted:

Wouldn't your ears be tired after listening to 8 hours of anything? What does it being on CD or vinyl have to do with it? Is there any reason why a CD would be inherently more 'tiring' than any other medium, given that the content itself was mixed properly?

For sure. Some of it is just that the majority of music on vinyl I have was recorded in the analog age. Some just personal preference. I guess you could argue that the cutting process of vinyl has limitations which causes issues with highly compressed CD masters, so top end gets pressed on hard. The mastering process for vinyl can be quite drastic when it comes to limiting and compression, and the preference these days to actually implement clipping into your master tracks (Dave Pensado) just doesn't work. You could also argue that playback is limited by the cartridge capability, the deck, tone arm etc etc so frequency response is effected by all sorts of variables. This is much more noticeable with new records.

Still. as I said it's just my personal preference and something I have noticed in my own listening. Not saying it's gospel.

:goonsay:

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Elrobot posted:

I let out an audible gasp when I saw that tape, I don't think I'm going to give it away but what about a new av of whatever artwork you like best?

i completely forgot about you offering this but thank you very much for this new av which i assume was provided by you, a true friend

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Geoff Zahn posted:

The other versions will be sold via Spacelab9...

YMMV, but Spacelab 9 lost my order for the Breaking Bad Soundtrack 2xLP last year (earlier this year? I can't remember). It took a month to finally get a response from one of my Customer Support emails, and when it finally arrived it was all hosed up and the jacket corners were crushed because they shipped it in the thinnest cardboard packaging I've ever seen.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Goal for the weekend: hit up as many shops as I can trying to find The Frogs on vinyl.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

caligulamprey posted:

Goal for the weekend: hit up as many shops as I can trying to find The Frogs on vinyl.

The vinyl market is at a point where I don't know if you're referring to the rock band or an expensive reissue of the horror movie soundtrack by one of the dozen labels who specialize in those.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
A new record store opened up here. It had a pretty limited stock BUT everything they had was in pretty dang good condition. Also they had that Absurd entrails album. Which is even more hilarious in the flesh for what it's worth. Anyway here's my pull for this week.

I've wanted a copy of low for ages now. I was pretty loving psyched when I saw it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

theradiostillsucks posted:

The vinyl market is at a point where I don't know if you're referring to the rock band or an expensive reissue of the horror movie soundtrack by one of the dozen labels who specialize in those.
The rock band, though I wouldn't be surprised if Waxwork throws down a Frogs soundtrack reissue at some point.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Anaranjado posted:

A new record store opened up here. It had a pretty limited stock BUT everything they had was in pretty dang good condition. Also they had that Absurd entrails album. Which is even more hilarious in the flesh for what it's worth. Anyway here's my pull for this week.

I've wanted a copy of low for ages now. I was pretty loving psyched when I saw it.

What did you pay for Plastic Ono Band? I'm looking for a nice copy of that myself.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Boinks posted:

What did you pay for Plastic Ono Band? I'm looking for a nice copy of that myself.

I got a copy for a dollar at good will. I think someone buried it at the beach for a while to mellow it out.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Remember that dumb VNYL thing from a little while back? A subscription service where you paid $24 for a few dollar bin records? They apparently used the money from their Kickstarter to open a record store. Here is some video footage someone took. It's easily the most embarrassing record store I have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25BuARcGqn4

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
i like how they have like 8 turntables but only a few hundred records

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Doctor Cave posted:

Remember that dumb VNYL thing from a little while back? A subscription service where you paid $24 for a few dollar bin records? They apparently used the money from their Kickstarter to open a record store. Here is some video footage someone took. It's easily the most embarrassing record store I have ever seen.

I bet that place doesn't even smell like a record store.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Cave posted:

I am embarrassed for them.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Looks like they spent more on signage than records. Also :laffo: they are sorted by "vibes" and "playlists"

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
I'm just weirded out by the amount of empty space in there.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
All the goodwill/thrift stores around here just have massive amounts of musty rear end gospel music. Oh and my man Herb Alpert and the TJB. I'd kill for a place that had some decent prince around here. There's a store charging 50 bucks for Lovesexy. gently caress You.

fac53
Oct 22, 2002
At last! A dead star!

Doctor Cave posted:

WOW. What a joke.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Anaranjado posted:

All the goodwill/thrift stores around here just have massive amounts of musty rear end gospel music. Oh and my man Herb Alpert and the TJB. I'd kill for a place that had some decent prince around here. There's a store charging 50 bucks for Lovesexy. gently caress You.

I cleared all of the thrift stores in Cincinnati out of Herb Alpert albums a few months ago but they've probably restocked by now.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

strap on revenge posted:

i like how they have like 8 turntables but only a few hundred records

there may not be many of them but they've been curated to gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
Christ, there's a guy at a local flea market set up in a permanent storefront who everyone refers to a "the hubcaps and records guy" and even he puts that kickstarted shitpile to shame. Then again, real metal records with a handwritten "overlooked but killer!" on the bag will always trump a Wham dinner party. Looks like they spent a good bit on making it look nice, so at least the next tenant in six months will get some benefit from that.