Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Gmail works fine for me, but that downdetector.com site appears to be down.... :ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
It's back. Exciting 20 minutes though

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FordPRefectLL posted:

may 1st:

bosses: hey there's a bunch of stuff in sharepoint we need you to do

me: ok i can't do any of that without admin access

bosses: okay we'll get you access and we need all this done by june 16th

fast forward to today, june 9th. been asking every day for admin access. still no admin access. i don't know what they are expecting.

*collects paycheck*

I can see your future....

Admin access granted on June 12th, 16th you are asked why it's not done.

Hopefully when you've been asking daily for admin access you've also been asking for the new due date of the project.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Seconding the support for the Latitude 7000 series, they are great. Shame about the dock connector placement and needing the dock spacer and looking generally horrible and taking up loads of space.

I also really want to swap my 11" i7 MacBook Air for a new XPS 13. That screen :eyepop:.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

bull3964 posted:

I can see your future....

Admin access granted on June 12th, 16th you are asked why it's not done.

Hopefully when you've been asking daily for admin access you've also been asking for the new due date of the project.

yep i have

good news though i just got access

also good news i leave for vacation for the rest of the week in an hour and a half

:colbert:

edit: i work for a state government so this is SOP

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 9, 2015

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

So what's everyone's current go-to laptop for people whose primary concern is portability & weight? Without spending more than ~$1500.

We're primarily a Dell shop but I can get people whatever, as long as it has a TPM. The i5 non-touchscreen XPS 13 looks pretty nice? Also have a few Surface Pro 3s floating around.
If you need the port replicator for the dock an E7440 is very nice but you can't beat the weight and screen quality of the XPS 13. The XPS does not have an ethernet port but the trackpad is nicer than the E7440. Make sure your imaging process is compatible .

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for all the answers; I think for uniformity's sake we'll probably stick with either the XPS 13 or the Latitude 7000 series, which I have somehow missed. And we've got a bunch of USB-to-Ethernet adapters laying around so that won't be an issue. Eagerly awaiting someone actually requesting one now.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

psydude posted:

"Welp, all of our wireless engineers are gone until July and we have to get this site survey done. Hey, psydude, you've wirelessed before several years ago, come do this for us!"

Time to go into full consultant mode: research just enough come across as if I know what I'm doing in the kickoff meeting and then figure out how to do it later.

Are they supplying Fluke AirMagnet and/or Zebra LANPlanner (formerly Motorola LANPlanner)? Because that poo poo ain't cheap, but if you want to do a real survey, you'll need real tools. I know you can do a predictive survey in LANPlanner (not sure if AirMagnet will do predictive), but the software is the lions share of the cost anyway. It just saves a time and having to go on site. But you will need accurate floor plans with material information (metal framing, cinder block walls here, drywall used here, etc...) and you miss out on getting a baseline of any other active RF activity in 2.4GHz and 5GHz and setting the ambient RF noise floor.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 10, 2015

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

flosofl posted:

Are they supplying Fluke AirMagnet and/or Zebra LANPlanner (formerly Motorola LANPlanner)? Because that poo poo ain't cheap, but if you want to do a real survey, you'll need real tools. I know you can do a predictive survey in LANPlanner (not sure if AirMagnet will do predictive), but the software is the lions share of the cost anyway. It just saves a time and having to go on site. But you will need accurate floor plans with material information (metal framing, cinder block walls here, drywall used here, etc...) and you miss out on getting a baseline of any other active RF activity in 2.4GHz and 5GHz and setting the ambient RF noise floor.

I just install aps based on gut feeling and hope for the best.

It helps that my largest wireless install was 8 aps, so there really isn't much of way to gently caress it up.

I can see that nice expensive stuff being useful for larger installations though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
When I get asked to do a "wifi survey" I walk around with InSSIDer open on my laptop and go "Welp, good enough."

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

When I get asked to do a "wifi survey" I walk around with InSSIDer open on my laptop and go "Welp, good enough."

I got a cheap USB spectrum analyzer from ubiquity as a free gift. It's neat to look at but the only time I ever had to use it was to prove to a client that yes the x-ray machine in the dentists office next door is the source of your wireless problems, and no there's nothing we can do about it.

These days I just use an ssid scanner on my phone.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Had an interview today for a devops job. I hope it's a good thing when an interview scheduled for an hour lasts three hours and the phrase "Foregone Conclusion" gets used.

:yotj:

Can't celebrate yet, I thought I had a new job on lock last November and it fell through.

Thank you to everyone for the discussions that we've had, they've allowed me to intelligently discuss things like OpenStack and Hadoops at a basic level without making a fool of myself.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

flosofl posted:

We have all of that stuff, I just don't have any of it installed. I'll have to go out on site anyway, because it's new construction.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Turns out I lied/was lied to and I learned the hard way today.

Rather than having our backups on two external usb 2 hard drives, we have zero backups or redundancy. The hard drive idea stopped working 3 months ago

One of the team leaders for a department managed to deleted the 2015 timesheet for the rest of the team leaders while he was updating it. The best I could do was find an old locally cached version of the file from only 6 weeks ago.

oh well

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
You need a blog.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Toshimo posted:

You need a blog.

I'm just lonely. I'm in the middle of absolute nowhere and don't have a single person to talk to.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

I'm just lonely. I'm in the middle of absolute nowhere and don't have a single person to talk to.

Didn't you move to bumfuck nowhere Manitoba for that job? If I remember correctly from earlier in this thread.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

Didn't you move to bumfuck nowhere Manitoba for that job? If I remember correctly from earlier in this thread.

SK

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That might actually be worse, condolences.

mewse
May 2, 2006

*is literally travelling to bumfuck manitoba today* :smith:

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

mewse posted:

*is literally travelling to bumfuck manitoba today* :smith:

I have to drive to Bumfuck, Manitoba this summer. From Edmonton. Across Saskatchewan. Ugh. Stupid in-laws.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
After determining that it was possible to leave Manitoba my family did so. Turns out Winnipeg is not a bad place to be from, only a bad place to live.

Makes me wonder what I'd be doing if we never left. I'd probably be working at Canadian Tire and be the guy that gets stuck with fixing the POS machines.

EDIT: You people that can't appreciate the beauty of the prairies mystify me. You probably dislike the ocean too. :colbert:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 10, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Driving from Edmonton to Winnipeg is apparently enough to drive a man insane, according to my brother. I've been to Saskatoon once and the flatness was hosed up.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

CLAM DOWN posted:

Driving from Edmonton to Winnipeg is apparently enough to drive a man insane, according to my brother. I've been to Saskatoon once and the flatness was hosed up.

It's also a little frustrating that the highway through there wasn't divided last time I made the drive. Picture getting stuck behind a mile of traffic with no room to pass, for hundreds of miles of driving at the speed limit

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I've done the drive from Edmonton to Moosomin, SK before. 9 hours. The idea of adding another 3-4 is just soul crushing. Luckily I'll have the wife with me to tag in, I'm just going to play Pokemon half the way there and try not to cultivate agoraphobia.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

evol262 posted:

It's also a little frustrating that the highway through there wasn't divided last time I made the drive. Picture getting stuck behind a mile of traffic with no room to pass, for hundreds of miles of driving at the speed limit

Ugh, that's really common around the country. Whenever I drive the mountain highways in BC more often than not I get stuck behind some tourist or first time road tripper who takes the curves at 10km/h, and I'm driven slowly mad for the next 2 hours as there is literally no passing anywhere.

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
Guys, Saskatchewan isn't that bad ok :(

I swear..

send help..

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
CLAM DOWN, isn't this the :canada: of which you speak? Or did I mix you up with the other guy who always mentioned the IT work threads were US-centric

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

quicksand posted:

Guys, Saskatchewan isn't that bad ok :(

I swear..

send help..

Sir Scratch-a-wan?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: You people that can't appreciate the beauty of the prairies mystify me. You probably dislike the ocean too. :colbert:

I live pretty close to the Wyoming border and it's absolutely gorgeous country. Love to go up there to camp. But hoooooly poo poo do I have no desire to live there.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

MJP posted:

CLAM DOWN, isn't this the :canada: of which you speak? Or did I mix you up with the other guy who always mentioned the IT work threads were US-centric

No, CLAM DOWN is the guy that constantly asserts Canada is some sort of proletarian paradise free from the reign of bourgeois oppression. Now pick up a rake and scrape that dirt like the rest of your IT comrades, lest you be mistaken for capitalist running dog and sent for reeducation.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Canada has awesome town names. That is all.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

psydude posted:

No, CLAM DOWN is the guy that constantly asserts Canada is some sort of proletarian paradise free from the reign of bourgeois oppression. Now pick up a rake and scrape that dirt like the rest of your IT comrades, lest you be mistaken for capitalist running dog and sent for reeducation.

Yes, that's literally exactly what I do :jerkbag:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Sorry to interrupt this ridiculousness with more ridiculousness... Is it possible to set up a Windows laptop (maybe with some programming on the switch side) to grab the same IP from both ethernet and wifi, use the ethernet when plugged in, but fail over seamlessly to the wifi if unplugged (i.e. keep VoIP sessions up)?

I've got our new SIP test service where I can run laps around the office with a laptop and USB headset, calls are crystal clear as I'm passed off from one Ruckus hotspot to another. If people could choose on a whim to plug/unplug from ethernet and move wherever they want without dropping a call, that'd be a game changer. Obviously I'd have to test the gently caress out of this at load, but first I need to see if it is even practical.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Zero VGS posted:

Sorry to interrupt this ridiculousness with more ridiculousness... Is it possible to set up a Windows laptop (maybe with some programming on the switch side) to grab the same IP from both ethernet and wifi, use the ethernet when plugged in, but fail over seamlessly to the wifi if unplugged (i.e. keep VoIP sessions up)?

I've got our new SIP test service where I can run laps around the office with a laptop and USB headset, calls are crystal clear as I'm passed off from one Ruckus hotspot to another. If people could choose on a whim to plug/unplug from ethernet and move wherever they want without dropping a call, that'd be a game changer. Obviously I'd have to test the gently caress out of this at load, but first I need to see if it is even practical.

Not really.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Zero VGS posted:

If you're running wireless and wired connections on the same VLAN for some reason, it's hypothetically possible to do this with an active-backup bond on Linux (if your switching infrastructure is configured in such a way that it supports this), but I don't think Windows has native support for bonded interfaces at all. In either case, it's probably not worth the burden on your network team.

Isn't it kind of a liability for people to be walking around with open laptops in front of their faces? If your users are as clumsy as most of the ones I've dealt with, I'd imagine a lot of broken laptops and several trips to the first aid kit.

Not even trolling: if they need the ability to seamlessly move voice calls from place to place, maybe they could try calling from their cell phones?

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 10, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Vulture Culture posted:

If you're running wireless and wired connections on the same VLAN for some reason, it's hypothetically possible to do this with an active-backup bond on Linux (if your switching infrastructure is configured in such a way that it supports this), but I don't think Windows has native support for bonded interfaces at all. In either case, it's probably not worth the burden on your network team.

Isn't it kind of a liability for people to be walking around with open laptops in front of their faces? If your users are as clumsy as most of the ones I've dealt with, I'd imagine a lot of broken laptops and several trips to the first aid kit.

Not even trolling: if they need the ability to seamlessly move voice calls from place to place, maybe they could try calling from their cell phones?

I lose a laptop a week to knocked over beverage or a football, but people walk around with them all the time and I don't see that much dropping.

This is a call center and even though probably every last soul in the place has a personal cell phone with unlimited minutes, I'm still expected to provide a desk phone and wireless headset as standard issue. The big problem is that the wireless Jabra and Plantronics headsets I got were all breaking up on calls, I showed the floor plan to Plantronics and they're like "lol there's absolutely no way you're going to get your headsets to work with that high of a call center density" so now I use wired headsets and everyone whines about them because they want to get up and pace around on calls.

I just figured that if I can force all our laptops onto 5ghz Wifi and get a bonded connection on each, people could use a wired headset to the laptop and walk around with those, with the added bonus of no desk phones required and people can move desks whenever they want.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Have you tested having that many people making VoIP calls over WiFi at the same time?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Boy, I sure am glad I Googled "Javascript remove leading 0" at work and clicked on the "videos" tab.

:siren:Seriously, don't do that at work.:siren:

You should totally do it at home, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

lol