Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Yeah, dinos are comparatively cheap - a Raptor is, what, fifteen minutes invested? The bigger dinosaurs can be significantly more time, true, but if there's anything the tribe of Twathammer has it's time since we have so many potential people around the clock once we get a little organized. Kitting yourself out in full chitin with a shotgun and three pets feels awesome, but it's really not worth it in most cases - similarly, having a base with massive metal walls, ten buildings, three forges, etc. looks great but it way surplus to requirements. Getting really built up is too much risk for little reward in the current state of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Checking goon island now, made it across.

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 9, 2015

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

If we don't want to build in the center of the island, building by 19, 19 would give us a cave, underwater cave + mountain.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Checking goon island now, made it across.

Once we get back on our feet, our next metal sign should just read "No.".

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

If we don't want to build in the center of the island, building by 19, 19 would give us a cave, underwater cave + mountain.

up in the northwest sounds great im down to make that our new temp home, there are two things of note about the area though:
1. there is no coast line up there just cliffs so no water access
2.the path to that cave is the most bullshit thing: a slope down the cliff with three jumps that you are barely able to make on the way back up so we're gonna need ramps or something

even with those two points im down

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Monowhatever posted:

up in the northwest sounds great im down to make that our new temp home, there are two things of note about the area though:
1. there is no coast line up there just cliffs so no water access
2.the path to that cave is the most bullshit thing: a slope down the cliff with three jumps that you are barely able to make on the way back up so we're gonna need ramps or something

even with those two points im down

The harder to enter the cave, the easier it will be to theoretically defend..

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Any ini/console tweaks to make this run better?

EDIT: Oh nuts of course that's on the top of the OP, sorry.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Megafunk posted:

Post your current in game settings

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

I'll start making the trek to the northwest when I get home from work. We should just throw up a bunch of hidden shacks with beds then go from there.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!

Google Butt posted:

Post your current in game settings

Right now everything is on low/turned off except for textures and draw distance on medium.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

quote:

BREAK UP THE ZERG PLEASE
Never surrender! Never surrender!

Jurassic ARK lives!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7ho3HABF0s

Jackard fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 9, 2015

HBPrince
Feb 22, 2012
Dino Taming Level Caps Mechanic/Info:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/615086038681621317/

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

Megafunk posted:

EDIT: Oh nuts of course that's on the top of the OP, sorry.

Press Tab and type Gamma 2 - 4, never need torches again.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Nighttime should be gamma 3 by default :colbert:

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Is anyone moving to NW now or is it just going to be me when I get home from work?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Why not just build into the cave on goon island? Yes, it stops the spawns there, but it's the most secure location. Multiple checkpoints through the cave means that, since they can't bring big dinos in to do the heavy lifting, they have to have the resources to destroy a bunch of sets of walls. All of our stockpiles and valuable resources can be kept secure towards the end.

At least one person argued that doing the above might be an issue, since the lack of spawns means that there wouldn't be much to do in the area. Bored goons wander off, no one is defending the area. This is all true, but I think it might be a good thing. If we confine building to the cave, no one else has any way of seeing us from the air or how we've got our stuff set up. Lack of things to do means less foot traffic, which makes it less obvious that we're based in the cave. Instead, we set of the main activity hub in the cliff area where we are now. We can concentrate all our disposable resources and congregate there, go off down in the coasts or inland to do whatever. Thus, from the outside, it looks like our main base is right there. What we can actually do, though, is organize flights or crossings to the island to move our important resources and keep building up the cave.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Devs are planning to nuke cave builds

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Game needs defensive stakes that damage dino's that attack them.

I'd suggest building a billion outposts that are basically a bunch of beds and a smithy/forge. Build them everywhere near the mountains and stock them with pickaxes so that recovery is always easy. Organize a few teams whose only job is to tame a T-Rex and when you have 2-3 go on a rampage and repeat. Never build a big fort, gorilla warfare.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jackard posted:

Isn't everything temporary given this is early access?

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Why not just build into the cave on goon island? Yes, it stops the spawns there, but it's the most secure location. Multiple checkpoints through the cave means that, since they can't bring big dinos in to do the heavy lifting, they have to have the resources to destroy a bunch of sets of walls. All of our stockpiles and valuable resources can be kept secure towards the end.

At least one person argued that doing the above might be an issue, since the lack of spawns means that there wouldn't be much to do in the area. Bored goons wander off, no one is defending the area. This is all true, but I think it might be a good thing. If we confine building to the cave, no one else has any way of seeing us from the air or how we've got our stuff set up. Lack of things to do means less foot traffic, which makes it less obvious that we're based in the cave. Instead, we set of the main activity hub in the cliff area where we are now. We can concentrate all our disposable resources and congregate there, go off down in the coasts or inland to do whatever. Thus, from the outside, it looks like our main base is right there. What we can actually do, though, is organize flights or crossings to the island to move our important resources and keep building up the cave.

And yet, somehow (presumably) those Khaos guys just happened to find our little cave base, despite it being completely unnoticeable from the air. Which is a little suspicious.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Goon island is excellent for a couple of people, but doesn't have nearly enough spawns for all goons. It also doesn't have a variety of spawns, just aggressive high level monsters. Looking at the map, there are a couple of outlets on cliffs in the NW where we could build a base with a single entrance that may work. There is also a cave we could secure that could be fortified similarly to goon cave. There is also a mountain for when the metal on mountain patch hits... Its literally perfect. Yes, it'll be higher traffic than goon island, but there will be more to do for more goons.. Everyone needs to get it through their head right now that building bases takes a whole lot more effort than destroying them. It is pointless trying to be indestructible, so lets just try to get a good place to poop sock up levels and not worry about building a giant town right now.

Ghetto SuperCzar fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 9, 2015

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Jackard posted:

Only PvE I think. From reading between the lines the devs seem pretty set on letting PvP servers figure their own problems out, preferably through as much violence as possible.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Goon island is excellent for a couple of people, but doesn't have nearly enough spawns for all goons. It also doesn't have a variety of spawns, just aggressive high level monsters. Looking at the map, there are a couple of outlets on cliffs in the NW where we could build a base with a single entrance that may work. There is also a cave we could secure that could be fortified similarly to goon cave. There is also a mountain for when the metal on mountain patch hits... Its literally perfect. Yes, it'll be higher traffic than goon island, but there will be more to do for more goons.. Everyone needs to get it through their head right now that building bases takes a whole lot more effort than destroying them. It is pointless trying to be indestructible, so lets just try to get a good place to poop sock up levels and not worry about building a giant town right now.

I want to do this. I will follow you Dino Lord.

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.
Well, i managed to tame a pterodactyl before i had to go to bed, so now we atleast have a way of getting poo poo to the Island. Just... don't get it killed please.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.

Picer posted:

Well, i managed to tame a pterodactyl before i had to go to bed, so now we atleast have a way of getting poo poo to the Island. Just... don't get it killed please.

It's already dead.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Givin posted:

I want to do this. I will follow you Dino Lord.
I'll have a hard time herding everyone there because I work a lot, so if some other goons can take initiative it would be great. We need the proletariat to turn in their picks for pikes.

When we finally get auto turrets and rocket launchers? Then we build. Then we erase any t Rex that looks at us funny.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

ARK: Survival Evolved - Your Tames Are Already Dead

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Jackard posted:

ARK: Survival Evolved - Your Tames Are Already Dead

Basically the way to do a session is login -> tame a trike -> farm berries -> tame your preferred mount -> play.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The more I read about this game the more sold on it I am. Gonna pick it up after work and check it out.

You can ride sabertooths and megalodon sharks? :aaaaa:

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Reddit nerd does some investigation into taming effectiveness.

https://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/396twu/dino_science_does_starving_a_dino_make_it_tame/

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

This is really interesting. With a trike or other good berry farming dino you should stockpile tons of narko and stim berries. Stim berries reduce both food and torpor so the dino eats faster and tames faster because of that. About 100 narkoberries per 50 stimberries should do it, you guys could tame a T-rex crazy fast with some coordination.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Demiurge4 posted:

This is really interesting. With a trike or other good berry farming dino you should stockpile tons of narko and stim berries. Stim berries reduce both food and torpor so the dino eats faster and tames faster because of that. About 100 narkoberries per 50 stimberries should do it, you guys could tame a T-rex crazy fast with some coordination.

We'll need more than one. I was also able to harvest 2k berries with the bronto in 15 minutes.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Seeing as they keep on finding our base so quickly, how about you nerds make a PGS thread to talk about where the base is, how to get into it, and how its being defended.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
We ought to find a place with a bunch of stone, set up a temporary base with a bunch of fires and a couple mortar and pestles and just labor camp everyone until levels go up enough.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Yeah seriously posting all this poo poo in the thread is about the dumbest poo poo you guys could do. Take it to PGS, and put a password on mumble.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

nightwisher posted:

Yeah seriously posting all this poo poo in the thread is about the dumbest poo poo you guys could do. Take it to PGS, and put a password on mumble.

Yeah. Probably not a bad idea to start a new tribe just to be safe

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Anyone got a link to a good crafting guide? Like what all you need to make item x?

The wiki seems pretty behind. :(

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

I could also just boot everyone from the tribe and reinvite from there.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
If we start totally fresh we'd get some breathing room since the other major players won't be positive who we are, but on the other hand that seems a bit too much like surrendering for my taste. Twathammer should rise again from the ashes, like a dick joke phoenix!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Upcoming patch note of interest:

- You now also earn the XP on your human character that your mount earns.

E:

- Torpor now increases per level on creatures as a percentage of their max torpor, not via an absolute value. Makes big high-level creatures tougher to knock out.
- Punching structures you can't damage (such as metal) still hurts you now, so you can kill yourself in metal cages etc.
- "Pistol whip" melee damages are nerfed appropriately and they now lose durability accordingly.
- Base Food/Water Resource consumption rates reduced by 25% each
- Dinos can no longer damage metal structures. Rockets are now using "demolition" damage type which makes them as effective as C4. All explosions effectiveness vs structures increased 50%.

Coming This Week:
Jurassic ARK Content Update
Hardcore GPU optimization pass 1
Tribe Government Types
Spike Blockade (primitive tech): very effective vs dinos
Food Storage Salt Bin (primitive tech): lets you keep your foods from spoiling longer prior to getting a fridge.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 10, 2015