Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Bad post, compadre. You're completely riding on the back of things other people said and did the classic faux +1 to content thing that scum tend to do. You're also framing this argument from an emotional perspective, basically saying without saying it that you find my mannerisms irritating rather than finding me scummy. ##vote RoyDrowsy

You come out the gate acting crazy and erratic, pushing things way harder than they need to be, and then jumping at the throat of anybody who points it out. Granted what I brought to the table wasn't exactly breaking new ground, it was still worthy of note. I was curious to see what would happen if additional pressure was applied to you. Now we know. You continue throwing out revenge votes and attacking everybody who looks at you. You continue to play erratically.

So lets talk about why we can consider your actions scummy.

First, you are throwing votes around like crazy, trying to find something that will stick and take off of yourself. You are not playing as though you have any interest in finding scum, you're playing out of your own interest. I've voted once. I've not moved my vote. This isn't to say I can't, or I wouldn't, but I understand that doing so has weight and value. My job is to eliminate threats to town, and it won't happen if I flail about like fish on a line. You spread chaos and confusion at the expensive of the town's mission.

Second, this recent moment where you are trying to take credit for getting the game going. It is another odd thing to do. This is the first game I've played in which somebody cared who got the ball rolling. The only reason to mention it, is that you're trying to build goodwill and favor towards yourself. If you got the game started by making yourself vote-able, what debt do you think we owe you?

Third, your focus in the scum hunt, the trigger that sets off your radar, is that somebody looks at you. As town, I want to stay in the game, but its more important that my contributions help identify and uncover scum agents, even at the cost of myself. You are not playing that way at all. You are playing like your life matters more than those around you, and that's only true if you're playing for the other team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Roydrowsy posted:

Second, this recent moment where you are trying to take credit for getting the game going. It is another odd thing to do. This is the first game I've played in which somebody cared who got the ball rolling. The only reason to mention it, is that you're trying to build goodwill and favor towards yourself. If you got the game started by making yourself vote-able, what debt do you think we owe you?
This is weird, I goaded him into it.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Roydrowsy posted:

You come out the gate acting crazy and erratic, pushing things way harder than they need to be, and then jumping at the throat of anybody who points it out. Granted what I brought to the table wasn't exactly breaking new ground, it was still worthy of note. I was curious to see what would happen if additional pressure was applied to you. Now we know. You continue throwing out revenge votes and attacking everybody who looks at you. You continue to play erratically.

So lets talk about why we can consider your actions scummy.

First, you are throwing votes around like crazy, trying to find something that will stick and take off of yourself. You are not playing as though you have any interest in finding scum, you're playing out of your own interest. I've voted once. I've not moved my vote. This isn't to say I can't, or I wouldn't, but I understand that doing so has weight and value. My job is to eliminate threats to town, and it won't happen if I flail about like fish on a line. You spread chaos and confusion at the expensive of the town's mission.

Third, your focus in the scum hunt, the trigger that sets off your radar, is that somebody looks at you. As town, I want to stay in the game, but its more important that my contributions help identify and uncover scum agents, even at the cost of myself. You are not playing that way at all. You are playing like your life matters more than those around you, and that's only true if you're playing for the other team.

Okay, at least you're trying to explain yourself and for that I can move back to ##vote Ghastly Gangsta, but you're misunderstanding a few things and I will do my best to address those now.

Firstly, you say I am throwing my votes around a lot. This is true. What you fail to realize is that pressing somebody without a vote in a game of mafia is akin to doing nothing in a game about doing something. By adding a vote to a suspicion, the incentive to respond is increased and thus the chances of an insightful reaction are also increased. Looking for scum is the number 1 priority and getting as many people meaningfully involved as possible is the biggest hurdle in the pursuit of that goal.

I'm not looking to take credit for getting the game going per se, more denying Pint's role in the generation of content given the fact that he should never ever loving claim vt out of the gate again. I'm probably going to make it policy to vote for him every time he does it going forward.

As for my trigger, consider the following: We are on page 4 of day 1 (the first page is almost entirely signup posts) and content is limited. The votes to analyze right now are generally votes for me. You can then conclude that it is not me OMGUSing everyone (though I do have a slight tendency to do this, as do we all, trying my best to stay grounded in such situations of course) but instead looking for scum with the content I have to work with. Consider also that I know for a fact that I am town and that there is at least one scum voting for me beyond a shadow of doubt.

The reason I found your post scummy was your attempt to use the negative feeling about me in the game to push a vote on me. Mixed with the parrot and slight additional content and it reads as a scum post. This post is a better :)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I'm not looking to take credit for getting the game going per se, more denying Pint's role in the generation of content given the fact that he should never ever loving claim vt out of the gate again. I'm probably going to make it policy to vote for him every time he does it going forward.

:swoon:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Consider also that I know for a fact that I am town and that there is at least one scum voting for me beyond a shadow of doubt.

It's incredible how many people say this and how often wrong they are. Your certainty is scummy.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

BottleKnight posted:

It's incredible how many people say this and how often wrong they are. Your certainty is scummy.

Certainty about what? That I am town? I can post my PM if you want, haha.

Certainty that scum is voting for me? No, theres no true certainty there I suppose, it just seems more likely than not, especially given the speed at which my votes piled up and the generally weak reasons behind them.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Still, how is it scummy to think that one of the 5 votes for me might be scum? What the gently caress?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Still, how is it scummy to think that one of the 5 votes for me might be scum? What the gently caress?

It is not scummy to think that, it is scummy to say that it is 'beyond a shadow of a doubt,' it is the certainty that is scummy and I said specifically that in my post.

But I'm glad you backpedaled immediately, at least you're probably telling the truth now.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE (4): Propaganda Machine, Ghastly Gangsta, Roydrowsy, Propaganda Machine, Propaganda Machine, BottleKnight
Ghastly Gangsta (2): GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE, Hal Incandenza, GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE, GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE
BottleKnight (1): Captain Foo
Pinterest Mom (1): apostateCourier
Roydrowsy (0): GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE, GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE
Dr. Hurt (0): GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE, GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE

Not Voting (5): Chic Trombone, Dr. Hurt, Epsilon Plus, HiipFire, Pinterest Mom

There are 13 living players. Elimination occurs at 7 votes!

The current deadline is June 10th, 2015 at 10 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 day, 5 hours.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

BottleKnight posted:

It is not scummy to think that, it is scummy to say that it is 'beyond a shadow of a doubt,' it is the certainty that is scummy and I said specifically that in my post.

But I'm glad you backpedaled immediately, at least you're probably telling the truth now.

That's dumb and if I'm telling the truth now then why are you voting for me?

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Okay, at least you're trying to explain yourself and for that I can move back to ##vote Ghastly Gangsta, but you're misunderstanding a few things and I will do my best to address those now.

Firstly, you say I am throwing my votes around a lot. This is true. What you fail to realize is that pressing somebody without a vote in a game of mafia is akin to doing nothing in a game about doing something. By adding a vote to a suspicion, the incentive to respond is increased and thus the chances of an insightful reaction are also increased. Looking for scum is the number 1 priority and getting as many people meaningfully involved as possible is the biggest hurdle in the pursuit of that.

I understand that votes can be used to generate action, but not when you're spreading it all around town.

I don't want to sound like some Christian lady talking to her daughter about her virginity, but if you toss your vote everywhere with every whim your vote loses meaning.

The first few people might feel inclined to respond to your antics, but after awhile nobody is going to care because you have turned yourself into the local crackpot, who nobody takes seriously.

You keep failing to recognize that your actions are, and continue to be a liability to town. Either you are scum, and you are just really not good at it, or you are a member of town who is actively working against the interests of town.

The whole conversation in this game is now about you. If your are scum you deserve it, if you are town you are giving scum a free ride for all of day one.

You need to rethink your strategy.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Roydrowsy posted:

I understand that votes can be used to generate action, but not when you're spreading it all around town.

I don't want to sound like some Christian lady talking to her daughter about her virginity, but if you toss your vote everywhere with every whim your vote loses meaning.

The first few people might feel inclined to respond to your antics, but after awhile nobody is going to care because you have turned yourself into the local crackpot, who nobody takes seriously.

You keep failing to recognize that your actions are, and continue to be a liability to town. Either you are scum, and you are just really not good at it, or you are a member of town who is actively working against the interests of town.

The whole conversation in this game is now about you. If your are scum you deserve it, if you are town you are giving scum a free ride for all of day one.

this isn't at all true here - it is good d1 strategy to throw votes and see who reacts weirdly to the little bit of pressure a vote provides. not that i'm using this tactic this game but it has worked well for me in the past

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Roydrowsy posted:

gonna snip this the same way pinmom did. not that taking credit per se is a strong move, but it's the fact that it is in town's interest to start realchat asap. it's not a sure tell by any means, but it is more in town's interest to end jokephase early. more real content = better than; scum gain advantage when there's no real discussion happening

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BottleKnight posted:

this is true, certainty is fairly scummy - otoh i concede za is a vet and his explanation rings true

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

you know, i just read propmachine's posts again and they come off very bad, i might vote propmachine depending on further developments in D1. roy sounds more like town with a different reading of D1 voting than za

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Propaganda Machine posted:

jfc

claiming vt means you got the loving role pm

like i totally agree and ##vote GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE but this is an asinine non argument.

let's make fun of pm for being canadian.

this is a piss bad vote and also contains what seems to be an attempt to distract from real discussion, along w/ the surrounding posts

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Roydrowsy posted:

I have a very high success rate as both town and scum and I employ this tactic in most of my games. I realize what you think you're saying, but what you're actually saying is you prefer it when people aren't under pressure and you need to find content from pressureless people. I think you'll find your success rate following that strategy is lower. Oh, and I have a track record of leading the vote.

I'm not a liability. I don't think I'll be hanged today because I have the banner of Correct on my side, friend.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

That's dumb and if I'm telling the truth now then why are you voting for me?

Yeah. ##unvote

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

So back to scum hunting, then. Read the 15 or so posts following here. You will find that Gangsta's vote was weak, that his responses to my questions were vague and that when asked to elaborate, he vanished off of the face of the game. I think he didn't know what to do when I asked him for details and rather than engage with me in good faith he retreated to a non-posting stance and wanted to see where the wind would blow. Remember that scum tend to have a tough time early on; this is that to a T.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

So back to scum hunting, then. Read the 15 or so posts following here. You will find that Gangsta's vote was weak, that his responses to my questions were vague and that when asked to elaborate, he vanished off of the face of the game. I think he didn't know what to do when I asked him for details and rather than engage with me in good faith he retreated to a non-posting stance and wanted to see where the wind would blow. Remember that scum tend to have a tough time early on; this is that to a T.

:rolleyes:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Other things that have pinged me so far:

Epsilon Plus has been around and commenting on the game as it progresses but has yet to do anything game related. It's pretty transparent fence sitting, really.

Pmom is Epsilon Plus if Epsilon was also trolling me and posted twice as much. More sus than EP because Pint is a seasoned vet who tends to be a bulldog. The play from Pint here is anything but that.

Machine has been goading me too and that vote she put on me was pretty freaking bad. Like, the vote was basically disavowing it as it left her fingertips. Here's what she's said so far: I post a lot, she disagrees about VT claims, she has questions that she isn't asking. Here's what she hasn't done so far: looked at anything in the game not posted by me in the lens of looking for scum or produced anything to make me think her vote on me is in earnest or has a sane rationale. She's my second scum pick of the game.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Captain Foo posted:

you know, i just read propmachine's posts again and they come off very bad, i might vote propmachine depending on further developments in D1. roy sounds more like town with a different reading of D1 voting than za

What can I say, I'm rusty, and it's really hard to build a good case on D1. Given that diq has been throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks, the question is how much real info we can pump from his posting if he gets lynched. I'm on the fence.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Boy howdy, what an insightful and meaningful response to someone calling you out, this sure does make me think you're town!!

Oh, wait, it's not opposite day

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

What can I say, I'm rusty, and it's really hard to build a good case on D1. Given that diq has been throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks, the question is how much real info we can pump from his posting if he gets lynched. I'm on the fence.

Lmao now she wants people to vote for me to gather information

I WANT TWO VOTES

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Lmao now she wants people to vote for me to gather information

I WANT TWO VOTES

Learn to read, please.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

there's a difference between trying to build a case and what you were doing, though

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

total gg move jesus christ play the game instead of blowing up every single time someone dares to look at you slightly askance

fake edit: :ironicat:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Chic Trombone posted:

Boy howdy, what an insightful and meaningful response to someone calling you out, this sure does make me think you're town!!

Oh, wait, it's not opposite day

do you have anything else to add other than a driveby on someone who already has a p deece amount of badposts?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I don't even know what to think of this, it's like you're waving a red flag in front of a bunch of bulls.

Captain Foo posted:

total gg move jesus christ play the game instead of blowing up every single time someone dares to look at you slightly askance

Captain Foo posted:

do you have anything else to add other than a driveby on someone who already has a p deece amount of badposts?

:ironicat:

What do you think of GG? What is your read on him?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

e: wrong thread

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

BottleKnight posted:

I don't even know what to think of this, it's like you're waving a red flag in front of a bunch of bulls.

Phone posting. I'll actually do some talking in due time when I'm at a comp, but Captain Foo fires shots unprovoked and I seriously think GPP has a bad reaction to the harmless VT claim in a game that has been described as mostly vanilla.

Also, get off my jock you skeezy haters, god drat. I'm tired of you labeling my posts as bad just because I don't play the game to your standards. In case you're too self absorbed to realize it, all approaches to this game are subjective no matter how clever and informed you think you might be.

A rap attack strategy comes to mind, liquid swords target these haters like lasers, soon to be erased from this world like vapors, adore me or bore me, step aside, GG doing the drat thang til he die.

I'm out... for a while.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

That sure was a post.

Kinda makes me wanna ##vote Ghastly

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Chic Trombone posted:

That sure was a post.

Who are you and why are you coming at me the way you are? Tell me what it is that you look for in scum? What's telling to you?

Perhaps, articulate what it was about that post that you didn't like. Hope this helps.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Epsilon Plus has been around and commenting on the game as it progresses but has yet to do anything game related. It's pretty transparent fence sitting, really.

I like to read. When I eventually post, my thoughts will be dissected, lauded and emulated for years to come.

Ghastly Gangsta posted:

Phone posting. I'll actually do some talking in due time when I'm at a comp, but Captain Foo fires shots unprovoked and I seriously think GPP has a bad reaction to the harmless VT claim in a game that has been described as mostly vanilla.

Also, get off my jock you skeezy haters, god drat. I'm tired of you labeling my posts as bad just because I don't play the game to your standards. In case you're too self absorbed to realize it, all approaches to this game are subjective no matter how clever and informed you think you might be.

A rap attack strategy comes to mind, liquid swords target these haters like lasers, soon to be erased from this world like vapors, adore me or bore me, step aside, GG doing the drat thang til he die.

I'm out... for a while.

despite your avatar you'd make a bad rap man

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BottleKnight posted:

gg reads to me exactly the same as he did in the immediately previous game which is to say he's catastrophically angry at people -> ending up being town anyway. admittedly still a meta read but nothing has pinged me as overtly scummy in his play as of yet

Chic Trombone posted:

That sure was a post.

you're still doing it holy lmao

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BottleKnight posted:

also there's no irony here inasmuch as i've actually contributed to the game so far :)

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

gg reads to me exactly the same as he did in the immediately previous game which is to say he's catastrophically angry at people -> ending up being town anyway. admittedly still a meta read but nothing has pinged me as overtly scummy in his play as of yet

It was reading to me as if you were defending him, but I'm glad you explained it because I'm inclined to agree with you.

Chic Trombone posted:

That sure was a post.

Who are your thoughts on the game so far? Scumpicks?

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

I have a very high success rate as both town and scum and I employ this tactic in most of my games. I realize what you think you're saying, but what you're actually saying is you prefer it when people aren't under pressure and you need to find content from pressureless people. I think you'll find your success rate following that strategy is lower. Oh, and I have a track record of leading the vote.

I'm not a liability. I don't think I'll be hanged today because I have the banner of Correct on my side, friend.

It's not that I have a problem with people under pressure, but it takes time for pressure to build. But we can call it a difference of game play, and we can chat about it another time, as there is work to be done.

##UNVOTE I can't say I trust you... but there are other things I would like to look at.

I'd like to hear a bit more from Chic Trombone. They'be been around and contributing in small ways to the conversation, but there really hasn't been much of substance. The justification for your vote is rather non-existent, but when the tide seems to be turning a bit, you made sure to get in right in the middle. Seems a little cherry picked.

Also.

Captain Foo posted:

you're still doing it holy lmao

I feel like I missed something here...

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

what is it reference to this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Everyone vote Ghastly Gangsta, confirmed scum

• Locked thread