Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Looking back over that post, I'm kicking myself for not including Owlman, Prometheus, Clayface, or Joker.

All of them are Clayface who is also the Joker because when he pretended to be the Joker he absorbed Titan-infused Joker DNA. Obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
The Arkham games already play like Jeph Loeb was the architect--all your favorite characters strung together, haphazardly doing things because stuff, and referencing better stories.

But it actually works pretty drat well since it's a very different medium with very different goals. So hell yeah, design awesome bosses and setpieces then work backwards. The experience is the primary goal. And if they can reverse engineer an awesome story (hell, even a semi-coherent story) then that's the cherry on top. But if they can't, people will still have a great time and shrug off Freeze attacking Batman when it makes no sense cause he crazy and something something did you see those takedowns drat that was sweet.

Can't say for sure who the Arkham Knight actually ends up being, but I can be pretty drat sure it'll be a huge letdown, won't make a lick of sense, and will result in some kickass setpieces.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, I guess the reason people can say Origins has the best plot is because it establishes a relatively simple problem for Batman: "Stop the assassins and prevent these explosives from going off."

Compare that to Joker's whole "I'm shipping my super AIDS out to every hospital and somehow no one tests this anonymously donated blood before injecting it into thousands of people." thing from Arkham City.

It's not just that. It's the origin story of how Batman took a hosed up Gotham and turned it into a Super hosed up Gotham, by dressing up like a bat and attracting crazy people with poo poo to prove into it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Compare that to Joker's whole "I'm shipping my super AIDS out to every hospital and somehow no one tests this anonymously donated blood before injecting it into thousands of people." thing from Arkham City.

I assumed that whatever Joker's plans were with that ensured that the tainted blood got mixed into the the general supply without being detected. Christ, suspend some disbelief already.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kin posted:

Christ, suspend some disbelief already.

I demand the utmost realism from my stories involving a clown injecting himself with Hulk serum. :colbert:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Arkham Knight is a robot.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

The Arkham Knight is none other than Jason Todd.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Fargin Icehole posted:

The closeups of his mask make me think it's Iron Man from the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Strategy guide leaked a new villain: It is the fearsome Man-Bat.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

'tis but a joke. I'll unspoil it so it's clear- I have no desire to cause confusion.

Oh! Welp, I'm dumb then. :v: Apologies!

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

net cafe scandal posted:

Strategy guide leaked a new villain: It is the fearsome Man-Bat.

if you are lying I will hunt you down and take pictures of your house

edit - no I wont, thats too far. I will be disapointed though. Sorry for lashing out with such fury.

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 10, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

It's Ted Kord.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

if you are lying I will hunt you down and take pictures of your house

edit - no I wont, thats too far. I will be disapointed though. Sorry for lashing out with such fury.

http://imgur.com/a/EFx86

Last image in the album. I guess theres also some other interesting stuff there.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I just had a thought that's now bothering me. Someone pointed out that Batman showing up to fight organized crime in a Bat suit kinda eliminated the mob, but simultaneously triggered the arrival of a million crazies. The thing is, even in the Arkhkamverse, we know all 8 assassins from Origins, Penguin, Riddler, and probably a few others are bound to show up regardless. If I could blame anyone for the emergence of all the masks, it's Superman. But then I thought, I don't think we actually have any proof Superman even exists in this universe. I assume that he does, Joker kinda implies that he does in Asylum, but I don't think there's anything concrete. Could Batman and his gang be the only superheroes around?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Captain Boomerang exists and we have Lantern costumes. Chances are that this is pre-Justice League or the other heroes just haven't had reason to stop by.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

net cafe scandal posted:

Last image in the album. I guess theres also some other interesting stuff there.

so it looks like the new A+X/X+Square move is the weapon steal. I hope they still keep in the Bat Swarm then, that was my favorite move to use during challenge maps since it was essentially free points.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

net cafe scandal posted:

Hmm, Knightfall Protocol. I wonder what that could possibly mean...

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

I just had a thought that's now bothering me. Someone pointed out that Batman showing up to fight organized crime in a Bat suit kinda eliminated the mob, but simultaneously triggered the arrival of a million crazies. The thing is, even in the Arkhkamverse, we know all 8 assassins from Origins, Penguin, Riddler, and probably a few others are bound to show up regardless. If I could blame anyone for the emergence of all the masks, it's Superman. But then I thought, I don't think we actually have any proof Superman even exists in this universe. I assume that he does, Joker kinda implies that he does in Asylum, but I don't think there's anything concrete. Could Batman and his gang be the only superheroes around?

The Penguin is more or less an arms dealer with a nickname and The Riddler and Anarky are vigilantes whose alter egos are reactions to Batman. The assassins showing up is a reaction to Batman. Joker showing up is a reaction to Batman. Without meaning to do it, Bruce Wayne creates around him the kind of chaotic world he can understand and find purpose in through struggle. He externalizes his inner conflict.

I'm not saying there weren't costumed weirdos before Batman; I'm saying Batman started an arms race of crazy. The city was arguably safer before him because mobsters are predictable in that they won't randomly blow up buildings while wearing grease paint in order to prove a point to a man in a cowl. Corrupt and lovely, yeah, but safer. Origins is the most interesting to me because it's a document of the moment of transition between the two eras in the Arkhamverse.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

If I could blame anyone for the emergence of all the masks, it's Superman. But then I thought, I don't think we actually have any proof Superman even exists in this universe. I assume that he does, Joker kinda implies that he does in Asylum, but I don't think there's anything concrete. Could Batman and his gang be the only superheroes around?

Wasn't there a Riddler puzzle or something in City that had to do with Superman? Or maybe it was just Metropolis.

I think it would be neat for him to show up and argue with Batman. :allears:

E: I think it was a Riddler terminal password actually. So yeah, implied but not confirmed.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 10, 2015

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Talia also mentioned her and Bruce loving in Metropolis once, so that at least exists.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Arkham City's story is batshit insanity, and relies way too heavily on a general knowledge of the Batman universe. I played it with friends and had several people wonder who the hell Talia is and what her deal was. Arkham Asylum doesn't require that you understand the basics of Batman, since its a much simpler story.

Origins is probably the best TOLD story - its a much tighter yarn. Unfortunately, its also a retelling of a story we've been told a thousand times over, with a lot of story beats that feel repetitive if you're at all familiar with Batman.

It also plays a rather nasty bait and switch with the Joker reveal, that is well contructed but totally the wrong conceptual move after Arkham City had its entirely endgame hijacked by the joker and finally put him in a grave.

The largest letdown in the series is how rushed Arkham City's climax is - climbing the Wonder Tower is awesome and feels suitably grand. And then a single cutscene eliminates Dr Strange (who literally does nothing in the entire story past the intro) and Rhas Al Ghul (who is revealed to be the mastermind and subsequently "killed" less than a minute later).

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Arkham knight is misunderstood well intended teen that got framed by the other crooks. He takes off his mask reveiling him as Terry McGinnis. Coming soon: Batman - Beyond Arkham. :colbert:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

vvvv Yeah, if you don't care about the writing, weren't going for 100% and avoided the bugs, the fighting refinements in the later games make AO a lot more enjoyable.

The problem is that everything good about Origins was the stuff that Rocksteady introduced themselves in City.

I don't think there's literally anything Origins does better than City, gameplay-wise. I like its art style quite a bit, actually. The more cartoonish character models look a lot better than Knight's strange attempts at realism. And Roger Craig Smith is a very good Batman, though he would have worked better in a new telling/reboot/timeline/whatever. I still think Baker's Joker is a pale imitation of Hamill, though.

e: Also Man-Bat and I think also the "Knightfall protocol" were both mentioned in that 4Chan leak, sooooo...

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 10, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The martial artists were really fun to fight and I felt that the bosses were miles better than anything city had to offer other than mr.freeze.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

I don't think there's literally anything Origins does better than City, gameplay-wise.

It actually has a significantly more interesting variety of enemies to fight. The Venom thugs and Martial Artists are interesting twists on the combat system without being as all-consuming as the actual Titans and actually flow a lot better than those enemies as well. Rocksteady actually came up with the Venom thugs independently (with variations) and they show up in Arkham Knight and I wouldn't be surprised if there is something similar to the Martial Artists there too.

This one is also controversial but making Disarm a later-game ability was a good decision I think because in City people became utterly and painfully dependent on that ability and never learned to handle enemies a different way, which is actually a bad thing. It's fine to have a strong ability that allows you to overcome previous challenges but having that strong ability introduced so early that people never learn to deal with the challenges another way is legitimately bad design.

The Deathstroke boss fight was also the closest the combat system has come to having a good one-on-one fight, aside from the Mr. Freeze one which was of course a predator room segment instead.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The lack of critical strikes in Origins (until late in the game) really hurts the flow of combat.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
As far as DLC goes, martial artists were 100% broken against Bruce Wayne in challenge maps. You could attack them and they'd counter you just fine, they'd do their double attack just fine.

Them doing their chain-attacks against Bruce Wayne never worked. They'd attack one and then just back off and stop. Pretty much a rude move in a combat system that thrives on predictability. I'd also frequently get hit by nothing whenever martial artists were around. No counter icons, no enemies next to me, just WHAM life lost combo dropped enjoy!

Jaragoh
Nov 27, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

This one is also controversial but making Disarm a later-game ability was a good decision I think because in City people became utterly and painfully dependent on that ability and never learned to handle enemies a different way, which is actually a bad thing. It's fine to have a strong ability that allows you to overcome previous challenges but having that strong ability introduced so early that people never learn to deal with the challenges another way is legitimately bad design.

The shock gauntlet in Origins was an even worse offender of this though. Once you charged them up, which didn't take much to do, you could treat all of the special enemies as if they were just regular thugs.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Sure, but the gauntlets were also pretty late in the story. Maybe having them just a bit later than they did arrive would've been an idea though.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Narcissus1916 posted:

The largest letdown in the series is how rushed Arkham City's climax is - climbing the Wonder Tower is awesome and feels suitably grand. And then a single cutscene eliminates Dr Strange (who literally does nothing in the entire story past the intro) and Rhas Al Ghul (who is revealed to be the mastermind and subsequently "killed" less than a minute later).

The biggest letdown is that some of the audio logs mention Strange spends most of his spare time staring at a Batman costume he made himself and crying constantly, so you never actually get to fight Strange while he's wearing his crappy little batsuit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jaragoh posted:

The shock gauntlet in Origins was an even worse offender of this though. Once you charged them up, which didn't take much to do, you could treat all of the special enemies as if they were just regular thugs.

Oh yeah, the Shock Gauntlets suck. I'm just saying that the idea of moving D&D wasn't bad.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I wonder if you're going to have to unlock all the special movies you unlocked in City again. Maybe Bruce took a year long vacation, and is a little rusty.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Mogomra posted:

I wonder if you're going to have to unlock all the special movies you unlocked in City again. Maybe Bruce took a year long vacation, and is a little rusty.

It's all going to be upgrades for the Batmobile, which no one will end up liking very much. Hundreds and hundred of upgrades.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

mysterious frankie posted:

It's all going to be upgrades for the Batmobile, which no one will end up liking very much. Hundreds and hundred of upgrades.

If there isn't an option for Bat-spinners...

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

redbackground posted:

This would be rad. All of the dumb closeups of the Batmobile's tires would be instantly vindicated!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

The biggest letdown is that some of the audio logs mention Strange spends most of his spare time staring at a Batman costume he made himself and crying constantly, so you never actually get to fight Strange while he's wearing his crappy little batsuit.

I'm not sure whether the idea of Hugo Strange pulling out his Batsuit hidden in the back of his closet and crying over it is the most hilarious thing or just sad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm not sure whether the idea of Hugo Strange pulling out his Batsuit hidden in the back of his closet and crying over it is the most hilarious thing or just sad.

It's a canon part of the character.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, I know Bat-Strange is a thing from the comics. I mentioned in the Arkham City thread it'd be great if we'd had a boss fight against him.

I'm just saying the idea of him putting on the Batsuit, sitting down in his chair, and crying about how unworthy he is seems so pitiful. Or unintentionally hilarious.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

redbackground posted:

I want custom horns that sound like all the hot tunes burning up the Billboard charts today, or possibly Joker soliloquies about how he and Batman are alike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Well, this feels familiar! Here's the mess of :words: I wrote on this the last time it came up.
(as an added bonus, the "It's like a Greek tragedy" line is in that post, for added mockery ammo. I also use the phrase "narrative conceit".)

All those words to say "<villain> is crazy."

• Locked thread