Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Anything important before I jump into Shadowrun Returns? beforeiplay.com has some tips but it says they're all for Dragonfall (which I did pick up, too, but I'd like to start with the earlier one).
Unless you really, really like shadowrun or really need to fill some time, just don't. Just like it's not really worth playing witcher 1 unless you're really a completionist.

As far as actual tips, don't try and make a melee guy with powers, it just doesn't work. Extreme specialization is mandatory, don't spread your points around. Drones are pretty OP, so are mages. Guns are good, just avoid smgs. Stuff that damages AP is king; actions are life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

It is easy as poo poo to use the game editor to make your character badass and good at everything. Do not do this, it will suck the fun RIGHT out. I learned that the hard way.

Go ahead and turn your character into a god when you reach the final mission and suddenly shotguns are a requirement. I still think Returns is worth playing, it's a nice self contained story.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Anything important before I jump into Shadowrun Returns? beforeiplay.com has some tips but it says they're all for Dragonfall (which I did pick up, too, but I'd like to start with the earlier one).
As the author of those, the first 3 1/2 tips are relevant to the base game. I'd expand and say a combat mage includes using the weapon-spell and mostly area-effect damage spells and flamethrower. Haste is important too as you can't count on Dietrich being around like in Dragonfall.

But really a quickness/dodge assault rifle elf will handily crush the main story. Sprinkle in some body and willpower for a little resilience, and etiquettes to taste.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

al-azad posted:

Go ahead and turn your character into a god when you reach the final mission and suddenly shotguns are a requirement. I still think Returns is worth playing, it's a nice self contained story.

People tend to overstate this. Said shotgun is pretty accurate if you're specced decently into the generic guns skill, even if you're not specced itno shotguns themselves. If you're not specced into guns then just take the extra hireling with the gun (which the game will point out by the time this comes up). Two people in the party with the gun (the other forces their way in) is more than enough.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

al-azad posted:

I still think Returns is worth playing, it's a nice self contained story.

Same. The ending is disappointing but most of the story leading up to it is really good, and I don't think the ending ruins the whole experience.

And it's fun to play or whatever too

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

It's pretty easy. the final boss is the only really hard fight.

Any decent build is viable; street samurai, nuker mage, buffer mage, summoner, droner.

You can ignore the Matrix. There's one mandatory spot but it's easy and the game holds your hand. Everything else is optional.

The first time you encounter insect spirits, they're invincible.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Same. The ending is disappointing but most of the story leading up to it is really good, and I don't think the ending ruins the whole experience.

And it's fun to play or whatever too

To elaborate I think the ending is great. The final dungeon is a slog but the actual final scene is a hilarious denoument and it's disappointingly rare that video games let you play your ending but also let you interact with all the major characters at the same time. Normally games are like "Okay, you defeated the bad guy, some bullshit happens aaaaand CREDITS!"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vlad the Retailer posted:

Anything I should know for Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments? How easy is it to mess up and get the culprit wrong?
You'll be able to combine the clues in each case into several possible stories, and each is perfectly plausible. If you don't read the clues and examine the evidence closely, it can seem like guesswork, but you can work everything out fine if you do. You'll also get the option to check your solution against the intended one after each case (and even go back and pick a different one), but generally you'll know you got it right when you get a lengthy, elaborate, sometimes interactive cutscene.

Always examine the hell out of suspects before you interrogate them.

There's an early chemistry puzzle where the instructions threw me off a bit. When it says "color A must be followed by color B", that means you have to put B after A every time A shows up in the sequence. Just once, like I thought, isn't enough.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

It's been out for a little while now, so any tips for The Witcher 3? I'm particularly interested in character development and combat. I just finished the Noonwraith quest at the very start of the game and despite using specter oil on my sword I was only doing ~10 points of damage per strike. I used the Yrden sign and was suddenly doing ~100 damage/strike and I have no idea why.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Contingency Plan posted:

It's been out for a little while now, so any tips for The Witcher 3? I'm particularly interested in character development and combat. I just finished the Noonwraith quest at the very start of the game and despite using specter oil on my sword I was only doing ~10 points of damage per strike. I used the Yrden sign and was suddenly doing ~100 damage/strike and I have no idea why.
If you read the bestiary entry it tells you they can go insubstantial, yrden forces them into the real world so you can do damage to them. the bestiary is really good, many monsters are built around a gimmick; attack from the back, use this one spell that is really effective, that sort of thing. Spectres and ghost-like beings get a teleport and huge damage reduction when they aren't attacking you.

As for skills, there's a respec potion for 1000 so don't worry too much about gimping your character. You have to drag stuff to the right to 'use' it, so don't spread your points around. I leveled the weak attack and put points into the mind spell for extra dialog and the stun. You have a chance to autokill creatures (even skulls) when they are stunned so I really like it. The 2nd tier conversion is a trap since it takes too long to cast. I've heard the ingni flamethrower is pretty good but haven't tried it myself. I got the armor melt but i haven't noticed much difference. By far the most useful I've found is the active shield, they hit you, you regain life. It's mandatory on the harder difficulties.

I can also see buffing potions/oils, and 'general' skills are very strong since they are 1 point each. About midgame you'll get the decoctions which give 100 toxicity and if you want to use any other potions with them you're going to need to put points there. Oils are just free damage if you can be bothered to open the inventoy screen so the skill that makes them poison too is just ace.

Don't worry about running out of alcohol to refill potions/bombs every time you rest, even casually looting random boxes will give you more you can use.

As far as general tips, every merchant you can play cards with will give you a free card when you win, most innkeepers have cards in their inventory. If you go through the first area and part of the second you'll build up enough of a decent deck to slam pretty much anyone. You won't be able to beat the guy in the palace when you first meet him, but go back and take that bastard's card when you think you're ready.

Don't get too burned out going to every ? because there are too many in the map and by the 2nd map it'll suck all the enjoyment of the game out of you. You can "clear" the first map and I recommend doing it because there are a lot of places of power in the first map, but in the second map if you wander off the trail you'll get murdered by skulls and I've only found two places of power on the second map.

OH one more important thing, side-mission experience scales based on your level versus the level of the main quest, so the game strives to keep you at a reasonable level as you progress through the main quest no matter how many side missions you do. If you do all of them, they won't give much XP. It's mathematically impossible to significantly outlevel the main quests, so just do stuff at your own pace and do anything that interests you along the way.

I'm not saying it's the wrong way to play, but if you go into the second map with the 'must uncover and do every single ? and quest' completionist-style than you're going to get very burned out and annoyed because almost everything off the paths are 10 levels higher than you are and you run through high-level areas to complete lower-level quests a lot.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 1, 2015

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010

Bhodi posted:

As for skills, there's a respec potion for 1000 so don't worry too much about gimping your character. You have to drag stuff to the right to 'use' it, so don't spread your points around.

I'm pretty sure this that only counts for the purpose of mutagen bonuses. I ended up taking Axii boost, melt armor, active shield and the garbage flamethrower and I have only the first 3 equipped but I can still use the dumb flamethrower.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
that goes counter to what I was told in another thread, interesting. I didn't try it myself. Flamethrower was garbage? bummer.

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010

Bhodi posted:

that goes counter to what I was told in another thread, interesting. I didn't try it myself. Flamethrower was garbage? bummer.

It might just be because I didn't put many points in it but it holds you in place, doesn't really stun enemies unless it gets an ignite off and doesn't really do that much damage. It might just be a late bloomer and really shine with the points maxed out in it, but I imagine turning yourself into some kind of albino fire turret is less fun than using your sword.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Play on harder difficulties. That forces you to use most of your tools (bombs, potions and signs) and learn the combat system, rather than brute forcing your way through.

In general, you want to focus your points in a single tree, because that way you can unlock better upgrades that require a minimum investment before unlocking, plus you get greater benefits from the mutagens that way. Also money stops being an issue early in the game, so you can buy a bunch of potions to reset your points and experiment. The alchemy tree, for example, seems a good candidate for late game investment.

Bhodi posted:

I'm pretty sure I've failed an Axii prompt because I didn't have the skill equipped, may be wrong. I'll have to unslot something and try again.

Regarding the flamethrower, I've used it successfully to punch way over my weight. Skull level monsters heal faster than I can damage them with a sword, so setting them on firethem (alternate Ignii ALWAYS procs, the normal one doesn't, in my experience), waiting a bit for your stamina to regenerate and burning them again was a good way of cheesing them. Burning damage works as a percentage of the monster's health, and also stops them on its tracks.

Sundance Shot posted:

It might just be because I didn't put many points in it but it holds you in place, doesn't really stun enemies unless it gets an ignite off and doesn't really do that much damage. It might just be a late bloomer and really shine with the points maxed out in it, but I imagine turning yourself into some kind of albino fire turret is less fun than using your sword.

Try firing it a little earlier and then approaching the enemy, rather than firing when they are close to you. It gets yo a little more time for the ignite to start.

And burning people to death is hilarious

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 1, 2015

Karneios
Nov 5, 2009

Bhodi posted:

The 2nd tier conversion is a trap since it takes too long to cast.
It doesn't take that long to cast, you only have to actually hold it until the slow motion starts not as long as you can and at least against human enemies they'll kill each other in one hit so it can come in handy

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

Also money stops being an issue early in the game, so you can buy a bunch of potions to reset your points and experiment

I had read somewhere (I think it was a gamefaqs forums post, so it may not be true) that using the potions only resets the skill points that you earn from leveling up, and that if you want to reassign the points you get from places of power, you need to actually revisit all of them to get the points back. I haven't used a potion yet to see if that's true, though, does anyone know?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Bhodi posted:

I specced pretty hard into igni and the flamethrower was my favorite tool. Adding dragons dream and one of my swords to that, I could do a lot of damage very quickly.

Fat Samurai posted:

Try firing it a little earlier and then approaching the enemy, rather than firing when they are close to you. It gets yo a little more time for the ignite to start.

And burning people to death is hilarious
Also don't use it when they are charging at you.

really, it's incredibly difficult to go wrong with skills in Witcher 3. Just pick what looks fun.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 1, 2015

Mr. Dragoon
May 7, 2008
I just finished up a run through of Dead State so here is a mess of tips

-High survival seems to slightly break the game If you spec for finding and gathering harvest nodes. Once you get to 6+ you seem to start tripping over random nodes and spending a day just gathering can result in hundreds of pounds of fresh food.

-Most encountered survivors can be recruited without leadership/negotiation through proper dialogue options. There are a few however, that require a high negotiation to recruit later in the game.

-Make a choice early on if you want to do a "as many survivors as possible" run or more minimalist. Having 40 guys is helpful when you need stuff done around the shelter or making sure you have the right person for the right task when out in the field. However this cost a massive amount of food daily and later in the game, the slightest drop in morale tends to cause a cascade of 8-10 of them lining outside your door to bitch and moan about how your Hitler and the shelter sucks because you didn't bring back enough loving candy bars last outing.

-Claw Hammers are the best single handed weapon against zombies at the start. Bats as a two handed option. Their lowish AP cost and undead damage mod. Later on the expendable baton makes a good replacement for the hammers. Sledge hammers are a "all or nothing" weapon. Their high AP cost means you only get one swing and I found it better to have multiple attacks.

-Even with no/low range and or perception, a sawed off shotgun will still deal incredible damage point blank and rarely miss. Its a good backup weapon on your main character or medic in case things go south early game.

-Skip the snub nose. Its pretty much a pop gun and your 38 ammo is better used for the hunting rifle. Likewise, don't bother with the hunting shotgun, save the shells for the sawed off, police or combat shotgun.

-I didn't find bows that useful. You have to constantly make ammo for them to have a decent supply and the AP cost/damage ratio is underwhelming. Even if you get the dedicated "archer" survivor.

-The game seems to vomit 9mm rounds at you so don't be shy on using the 9 mm.

-Frag and tear gas grenades are the bane of you and your human opponents. Use them when their bunched up and keep your guys spread out.

-Save the military grade stuff for tougher encounters later in the game and never waste them on zombies.

-As a final gun tip, make sure everyone's weapons are loaded when you load into a map.

-Listen to the radio every morning in the office Davis hangs out in. you'll sometimes get the location of a place to raid or possible survivors.

- Lloyd is the best survivor in the game and gets insane stat and skills as time passes. He's worth his "asking price" when you find him. Talk to him in the shelter and use 5 rations or a coffee bean luxury item to bribe him into coming out to the field with you in the morning for the day if your expecting heavy combat. You won't regret it.

-The 6 sub-leaders are Vic, Todd, Paul, Regina, Sandy and Lloyd Your forced to take the first two but the other 4 you have to recruit. Having all 6 will be a massive pain in the rear end as its impossible to keep all 6 happy enough with you to constantly support you without micromanaging luxury item bribes. However, two of them Paul and Todd can not be "bought" by giving luxury items only through how you handle the shelter events with them.

-Keep a eye out on the text box when wandering a map. Sometimes you'll see a NPC talk/warn you of their presence. You can avoid/prepare for some set "ambushes" if you do so.

-If a NPC baddie has a name and not a generic title be sure to search them as theirs a good chance they will have a unique weapon on them.

Mr. Dragoon fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 1, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Anyone have advice for Expeditions: Conquistador?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lord Lambeth posted:

Anyone have advice for Expeditions: Conquistador?

I just finished it, so here goes.

Character Creation
-Herbalism is a trash skill, since you get a ton of medicine throughout the game. Unless you really, really suck at the combat, then you can probably safely skip it. Hunting is likewise kinda trash, but less so than Herbalism.
-You get +11 Leadership by endgame through promotions, so it's up to you whether you want to start at 9 or start at 10. Leadership affects morale which affects crit rates, and it's not that hard to actually get decent crit builds going, especially with Hunters.
-I don't imagine you're going to do much with Diplomacy if you're going to be a historical conquistador that is focused more on racism and murder, but it's obviously a good pick to avoid combat or provide alternate solutions that don't involve burning things to the ground. Tactics and Scouting also get a fair number of dialogue options.

Expedition Members
-Try very hard not to get members with conflicting personalities. That is, don't have a mixed group of Racists and Open-minded people, otherwise you're stuck doing a dumb balancing act.
-Proud is the easiest trait to trigger morale bonuses, since you get it for pretty much not failing. Try not to fail that often.
-Pious does not trigger negative morale that often, and you can build a chapel in Mexico that gives Pious people morale every week.
-Don't have more than 1-2 Narcissistic types and level them up first.
-NPCs that join you tend to not have "negative" traits. In other words, they're not greedy, racist, narcissistic, etc. Some of them are Aggressive though, which conflicts with Peaceful, so keep that in mind, but I think the ones that are are usually Proud as well, so you can work around it.
-I took 2 doctors, 2 scouts, 2 hunters, 1 scholar, and 3 soldiers. Scouting is a super useful skill (since it gives you more movement) and Scouts give you that, but they also Patrol during camp, which is far less useful than Guarding. Scouts are kinda poo poo in battle too since they are fragile as hell, although they do a ton of damage and are fast. If I had to do it again, I would probably switch a scout with a soldier, but it's your call.
-You get another soldier almost immediately in Hispaniola unless you suck. Try not to give her too much experience at the start though since she leaves for a bit.

Game
-If you are a damage dealing class (Soldier, Hunter, Scout, and their native equivalents), Keen Eye is a phenomenal skill to get. Fortune Favored is likewise good if you're at max morale (10% crit).
-Sexist is a great skill if you're a damage dealing class and you're female. The Amazon starts with this (for free, essentially) and thus she is the best damage dealer in the game.
-Soldiers are overall great classes that have high melee attack, high defense, and Stun at level 2. Stun is the best skill in the game since it not only protects people (by virtue of a stunned enemy not doing damage to you), but also provides tactical options since stunned characters don't take attacks of opportunity, so you can swarm them with your dudes when before someone would have likely eaten an attack to move around to attack. This is especially useful against the heavier classes like Soldiers, Warriors, Champions, and Amazons.
-Invent the carts first, since they give you extra movement. You will be drowning in wood and metal by end game, so that's not that important. Your Scholar can do the first two tiers easily, the last tier will require him/her to be level 3.
-Hispaniola doesn't have any secrets (that I remember?), but absolutely explore Mexico. You can find such wonders like the fountain of youth, El Dorado, and a death god. Fun, all around.
-The Hispaniola quest The Gloaming is available near the end game. You have a relatively small window (plot wise) to complete this quest. Do NOT give any experience points to the guy you get during this quest, since he will stay on Hispaniola and not go with you to Mexico.
-In the beginning, try not to camp on roads. You take a huge penalty to guard, and when you lose resources from theft, it's percentage based. Losing thousands of valuables in a night, let alone multiple nights, loving sucks and makes you a lovely conquistador since you're all about the ducats. Have a ton of good Guards by Mexico, though, since a large chunk of it is Plains, which are functionally as lovely as roads without the movement bonus.
-When you're asked to destroy a village in Mexico, that is a point of no return for that particular faction. Until then, you are free to work with/against both. Note that one faction will ask you to raze a farm, which is one quest before you have to raze a village for that faction.
-The northwest corner of the Mexico map has your fort (follow the road). You will have to build it up, so feel free to beeline it to here first before exploring.
-If you want to get the Conquistador achievement, you will have to have 500 soldiers in your garrison by the final fight. The number of troops in your garrison is a number that increases daily based on the facilities you have at your fort, so feel free to camp out a while.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Contingency Plan posted:

It's been out for a little while now, so any tips for The Witcher 3?

As someone said, read the bestiary when you get around to it and read the tutorials. By that I mean not just the popups, but literally go into the actual menu for it, because there are about 500 things explained in there that the game doesn't give you popups for.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Is there a point of no return in X-Com: Enemy Unknown? I'm really enjoying just playing the random encounters, and I don't really to stop playing yet... It feels like the game is winding itself up.

I have just got the hyper wave relay, if that gives any idea of how far in I am...

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The game will explicitly mention when you're at that point, so don't worry. There are no penalties to prolonging the war if you can keep panic under control.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I reallky wanna get into warcraft 3 and possibly later on starcraft 2, but I have never played rts games nor pc games in general not counting civ 5 and it seems very complicated. How can I learn these games besides experimentation?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ManOfTheYear posted:

I reallky wanna get into warcraft 3 and possibly later on starcraft 2, but I have never played rts games nor pc games in general not counting civ 5 and it seems very complicated. How can I learn these games besides experimentation?

Just play the campaigns. Blizzard games are extremely mainstream and so they kinda hold your hand at first.

Both games have campaigns that begin with several levels that teach you the basic mechanics. You'll have a level where you have to build some base buildings and train up some troops, then a level where you can't build anything and just lead people around practicing the moves.

Starcraft is more focused on the overall macro game and resource and army management, like warcraft 2, while warcraft 3 mixes the RTS with a micro focus using RPG elements.

If you play the campaigns and you're lost, come back here and ask questions, but they should honestly make things extremely clear to you.

The basics to get you started:

Resources are huge in RTS games. Usually you start with a base builder unit, and only that unit can build buildings. (there are exceptions) that unit can also usually gather resources. (In both starcraft and warcraft3, there are several factions and each gathers resources slightly different; the terrans and the orcs & humans are the most straightforward in each, while protoss and zerg and undead and elves are a little tricker)

You usually start with some buildings, at least a town hall which can produce more builders. You want to produce several at first to get your economy going, there's usually strategy "openings" to RTS games like a chess opening; you'll do like a 6-pool where the 6th thing you build is a spawning pool to rush, or 7-pool where you make more villagers first and then start building a building. But don't worry about that so much right now, that's not too important.

Anyways you want to build a whole ton of gatherers/builders and split them between the resources you need (gold & lumber or minerals & gas) and gather lots of that stuff. Then build buildings which produce military units, and then make lots of military units. Then send those out to scout, and build new bases when you find new resources. Build more and more units and then attack your enemy.

Warcraft 3 has a fly in the ointment in that your hero units gain XP and level up to become far more powerful, so a big focus becomes "creeping" or killing neutral creeps to level up before you attack your enemy with a strong hero. Starcraft skips this completely and has no real neutral creeps.

After that its all tactics and strategy. Look up the tech trees for the factions and learn them. Learn the strengths and weaknesses of your units, most units are designed in a rock beats scissors beats paper beats rock type fashion, learn which units your opponents can use and which of your units will counter them.

War3: http://classic.battle.net/war3/human/buildings.shtml

SC2: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/game/race/terran/techtree/hots

It would probably be easier to learn starcraft2 first, and then learn warcraft 3 later, but it won't be the end of the world if you start with war3.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 2, 2015

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
I got Wargame: European escalation. What should I know about? I am struggling with the 2nd tutorial.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Supeerme posted:

I got Wargame: European escalation. What should I know about? I am struggling with the 2nd tutorial.

Good loving luck. That's the only game in my life where I just gave up and moved on. There are definitely people who play it and have fun with it, but its just beyond me.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Anything new for sunless sea? The wiki seems a little out of date.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Someone give me an overview of Monarch Points in Europa Universalis IV, please. I've spent way too many hours in CKII and EUIII but change confuses and frightens me.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Fat Samurai posted:

Someone give me an overview of Monarch Points in Europa Universalis IV, please. I've spent way too many hours in CKII and EUIII but change confuses and frightens me.

Basically you want to get as many of them as you can get and avoid wasting them to things like events or taking tech levels early. Always favor spending money, manpower or getting unrest over losing stability or monarch points in events. Don't take tech early unless it's military and you absolutely need that advantage for war you're in or about to start.
Some other actions are also of questionable worth and should be avoided generally but still need to be done sometimes, like buying down inflation or war exaustion, raising war taxes, boosting stability over +1, converting cultures, changing tariffs for colonies, staying above relation limit or leader number. Diplomatic points are less valuable than the other two kinds, mostly because diplomatic tech isn't that important for most nations.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jun 8, 2015

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Also while a lot of advice holds regardless, it's worth noting that Common Sense + Patch 1.12 is coming out tomorrow which makes pretty big overhauls to a bunch of systems in EU IV.

For example province base tax, manpower and production can be increased by monarch points in CS which I'd imagine affects how monarch points get used.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jun 8, 2015

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

The biggest thing to consider with Monarch points, and this still holds for 1.12, is that you normally have a choose between spending them on Tech or spending them on ideas.

Each idea group (unlocked at certain levels of Admin tech) also requires monarch points to unlock the ideas in them. They are grouped by the type of points needed, so military ideas require military points f.inst. Since tech becomes more expensive to unlock if you are ahead of the curve (sometimes to the point where your cap is lower than the cost, forcing you to wait even if you wanted to buy it), this trade-off normally means that your choice of idea category has to consider where you are furthest ahead. If your military tech is +100% cost, you probably want to consider grabbing a military idea group to avoid wasting military points, while you wait for time to catch up and let you tech up again.

It's worth noting that the first few levels of Military tech (up to tech level 5) are very powerful, because it increases the "military tactics" stat, that is very powerful in the early game. For that reason it is usually a bad idea to pick a military idea group early until you have those levels.

Admin points are normally considered the most valuable type, since it is also used to core provinces, buy stability and unlock idea groups. Admin points can get drained quickly if you get unlucky with stability reducing events, so be extra careful about wasting it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Speaking of stability, random events seem to push it towards the middle. Is it worth it to try and maintain stability at +2 or +3, like in EUIII?

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Speaking of stability, random events seem to push it towards the middle. Is it worth it to try and maintain stability at +2 or +3, like in EUIII?

In the general case, no. Buying stability to +2 or +3 is very expensive, and with all the other things you want admin points for, usually wasteful. Most people I have seen play the game will tend to keep it at 0 or buy it up to +1, and then hope you get good events (or missions) that push it up further. Some negative events also fire more frequently at high stability, so you risk losing it soon after buying it up. You probably want to avoid negative stability since it usually prevent some of the nastier events and disasters.

That said, it can be worthwhile in some cases. If you are getting close the admin point cap and don't have an idea group to dump them into, buying up stability can be a good investment, or if you are struggling to contain unrest or trying to covert tough provinces (like getting something to switch away from Sunni) it can help you in the short term. Just be prepared for the RNG to take it away 3 days after you buy it, because eventually it will.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 8, 2015

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Also if you're at 0 Stability and get a +1 Stability -event, you can get to +2 with a "discount" by boosting it to +1 before accepting the event which will then bring it to +2 without the increased cost.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I bought Vangers because it got praise on here and the aesthetic looks neat from the screenshots, any beginner tips?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Lakbay posted:

I bought Vangers because it got praise on here and the aesthetic looks neat from the screenshots, any beginner tips?

Don't expect to ever know what the hell you're doing. I owned it way back during it's original release and had no idea what I was doing even with an instruction booklet. My advice is to just drive around shooting stuff and have fun.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

A developer mentioned this in The Witcher 3 thread, and I thought it's worth adding to the wiki:

You craft a potion once, you get a potion item with a certain # of charges (I think the charges are affected by your skills). When you meditate, any potions refill their charges if you have alcohol in your inventory, one per potion that needs to be refilled. You still need ingredients later because most potions have multiple upgrades that require the base potion as an ingredient, but you don't need to hoard flowers obsessively. This system is a little weird feeling at first, but it's effectively cured me of my open-world OCD.

EDIT: Herbs also respawn *really* fast so there's no reason to pick every flower.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The charges are effected by the recipes you have but I didn't dip too far into the alchemy tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xander77 posted:

You craft a potion once, you get a potion item with a certain # of charges (I think the charges are affected by your skills). When you meditate, any potions refill their charges if you have alcohol in your inventory, one per potion that needs to be refilled.

from playing the game, it seems like its actually just one alcohol for all your potions and bombs to refill at once.

You meditate, one booze disappears, all your stuff is full.