Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

How freeform is Blightfall? I realize it's the same map with each world but is the quest lineup and resource availability freeform enough to, eventually, reach post-scarcity and do Stupid Things typical of modded Minecraft?

It's more freeform than all other HQM packs and less freeform than anything that's not an HQM pack.

Turtlicious posted:

Is blightfall fun to play as is right now? What's a good structured "tutorial" pack like that?

I wouldn't recommend blightfall as a tutorial pack, because a lot of stuff has been changed in service of the blightfall metagame so like white botania flowers wont' cleanse taint in other packs and floral fertilizer doesn't only produce the flowers that were used in its crafting in other packs.

Ciaphas posted:

Is there a way to give myself creative powers (/tc, /gamemode, /gamerule, etc) in Blightfall? Creating a new world as creative didn't seem to do it.

If I can't /tc aspect ciaphas01 all 999 right at the start I just can't be bothered with Blightfall at all :(

(edit) Nevermind, found the magical incantation in the form of NBTExplorer. Whatever that is. :shrug:

Open to LAN with cheats is apparently the way to do it. This is a weakness in Lockdown and there's not much we can do about it without me kicking off another massive project :( :( :(

Thyrork posted:

E: Please, please, for the love of god technic crew, get the maker of blightfall onto Thaumic Horizons. You can breed pigs that eat taint. You can literally save the world with thaumically engineered swine. :iia:

You guys came too late :( It's way too close to release to stop and figure another mod to work into the quest tree & make sure it's not gonna crash everything etc. Another great reason why we need to improve how the launcher behaves toward pack modifications.

Wolfsbane posted:

I didn't find tech metals a huge problem once you find the caches, which is probably midgame. Before that, scarcity is supposed to be a big part of the whole thing.

Yeah I mean the point is that you go on a Magical Mining Adventure in the right biome, get one ore vein, and then you're set for that metal because until you complete the tech metal quests, you're supposed to buy tech metals with mission rep, not mine them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Dunno-Lars posted:

Managing a small server for some friends, as well as the modpack they use.

How is Ars Magicka now? They really want it, but as far as I know, it's super buggy... Is this still the case, or is it safe? 1-5 people online, not that spread out, if that matters.

It's still the case, some things like mana batteries if linked in a loop will break the server until ars magica is removed. If you do plan to have ars magica, back up your server once a day.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anyone have any newbie advice for Blightfall? I've got flint tools, no metals or clay, a swamp teleport and a deathly fear of the taint.

How far in do I have to get before I can start effing around with Thaumcraft and Blood Magic in the book, anyway?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone have any newbie advice for Blightfall? I've got flint tools, no metals or clay, a swamp teleport and a deathly fear of the taint.

How far in do I have to get before I can start effing around with Thaumcraft and Blood Magic in the book, anyway?

blood magic will remain locked until you explore a majority of the locations, thaumcraft will remain locked until you have an iron ingot. I made an old post about everything a while ago, let me find it. I can't find it.

You should try for saplings until you get something like blood wood. It's very good for making iron level tools.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 9, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Clay should be in the swamp. Do some branch mining under your dome to find metals. Don't be afraid to spend reputation on food and other supplies like ingots, seeds, and saplings. I wound up with way more reputation than I would ever need, in the end.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Yeah, reputation is absurdly easy to get. Once you can run around outside without fear you can do all the scout quests, which will get you more rep than you will need for everything else in the game combined. Spend it on seeds until your food supply is sorted.

Dig under the swamp for alien-copper (whatever its called, its been a while), and you can climb up the ladder from there. Speaking of ladders, digging straight down and using ladders is a good way to make sure your branch mine won't get irredeemably infected.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wouldn't have thought of digging straight down, thanks. I've been terminally afraid of doing so since my very first Minecraft adventure ended, well, terminally. In a pool of lava. :v:

Do the anti-taint effects of pure nodes like in silverwood trees, and Ethereal Blooms, extend through the entire Y-axis, or only in a radius around them?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

New question, my flint pick can't mine the not CopperOureclase under the swamp. How do I actually progress? Level up my pick and hope I get lucky?

(edit) Nope, still stuck on hard non-metal. :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 10, 2015

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003
Oureclase isn't the notCopper under the swamp; keep digging down. I think it's called Prometheum?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ciaphas posted:

Wouldn't have thought of digging straight down, thanks. I've been terminally afraid of doing so since my very first Minecraft adventure ended, well, terminally. In a pool of lava. :v:

Do the anti-taint effects of pure nodes like in silverwood trees, and Ethereal Blooms, extend through the entire Y-axis, or only in a radius around them?

They purify the entire y-axis, an infinitely tall cylinder from bedrock to space.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

SugarAddict posted:

It's still the case, some things like mana batteries if linked in a loop will break the server until ars magica is removed. If you do plan to have ars magica, back up your server once a day.

Remove ars magica, or the offending blocks in mcedit?

Server is making a backup every 12 hours now, but I have to download manually through filezilla now if I want to keep more then the single backup. It's overwritten when the next one is made. This has been working fine until now, since they have my number and have been told to call me if it's urgent like a lost inventory due to grave not appearing. But I think I have to get some automatic regular download going, so I have a couple of versions on my own computer... Gives me a chance to play with scripts.

Thank you for the replies!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
My bolts leveled up and got Silk Touch randomly put on them.

Can we just stop using Iguana Tweaks forever? Can that happen? Please?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

McFrugal posted:

My bolts leveled up and got Silk Touch randomly put on them.

Can we just stop using Iguana Tweaks forever? Can that happen? Please?

Does it...do something?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's a smooth silky caress straight through the ribcage. That zombie is going to feel so silk touched as its heart is carried out of the exit wound in one piece.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I think it could be a problem, since you can't put silk touch and fortune on the same thing?

Other than that, I really like iguana things. By the time you max your level, you get the same-ish amount of modifier slots, but also all the free level up modifiers.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Truga posted:

I think it could be a problem, since you can't put silk touch and fortune on the same thing?

Other than that, I really like iguana things. By the time you max your level, you get the same-ish amount of modifier slots, but also all the free level up modifiers.
Yeah except getting to that point takes digging out like 5 million sand blocks and you hope along the way you don't gently caress up your pick with autosmelt or your sword with Bane of Anthropods.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
So, am I'm the weird one, then, for actively hoping to get auto-smelt on my pick? Since it stacks with fortune and saves me the hassle of smelting stuff. Silky on the hammer, of course. It's what I use most of the time anyway. Pick is for single stuff sticking out in my 3x3 tunnels.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yep, autosmelt on the pick, so you can easily fix stone buildings, and (more importantly) easily mine out ores that get better yield with smelting and/or fortune than in the pulverizer.

Silk on hammer for everything else.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Okay, but you're dodging the point. You understand what I mean, right? Iguana Tweaks can wreck your planned upgrades for a tool by giving it something you don't want that shuts out the possibility of manually adding other stuff, like missing out on sharpness because you have bane of anthropods. Or putting something that actually makes combat harder for you, like fire aspect.
And it still doesn't address the fact you have to dig an obscene amount just to get up to basic modifiers you would have been able to start with.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yes. I agree.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Honestly, I think what Iguana needs is the ability to remove an upgrade from a tool, if it's a freebie you get for leveling, then you just lose it but if it's a thing you used a slot on you get the slot back.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Okay, but you're dodging the point. You understand what I mean, right? Iguana Tweaks can wreck your planned upgrades for a tool by giving it something you don't want that shuts out the possibility of manually adding other stuff, like missing out on sharpness because you have bane of anthropods. Or putting something that actually makes combat harder for you, like fire aspect.
And it still doesn't address the fact you have to dig an obscene amount just to get up to basic modifiers you would have been able to start with.

In my experience, all the damage bonus upgrades work together. It's not exclusive like enchants. Fortune and Silk Touch are definitely exclusive, though.

The problem with silk touch on my bolts is that it REDUCES THEIR DAMAGE. By a lot. I also dislike getting fiery or whatever on my weapons because the fire damage tics make mobs invincible. Both of these upgrades will randomly show up on your stuff by default.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 10, 2015

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Is there any simple way of achieving teleportation? I like to have parts of my base in different locations for variety and even then, I'd like a faster way of moving from place to place. Every form of teleportation I've seen is either too complex/fiddly/unreliable to be worth it or too resource intensive. For example IC2 has an EU cost based on distance and the items you're carrying.

I'd be fine spending a few hundred diamonds per teleporter as a one-off cost but I just don't like the idea of constantly having to pay for something that isn't necessarily "OP".

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Mr Scumbag posted:

Is there any simple way of achieving teleportation? I like to have parts of my base in different locations for variety and even then, I'd like a faster way of moving from place to place. Every form of teleportation I've seen is either too complex/fiddly/unreliable to be worth it or too resource intensive. For example IC2 has an EU cost based on distance and the items you're carrying.

I'd be fine spending a few hundred diamonds per teleporter as a one-off cost but I just don't like the idea of constantly having to pay for something that isn't necessarily "OP".

rftools is what you're looking for

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Ciaphas posted:

Wolfsbane's 30 second guide to safely digging straight down. You will need: a number of ladders equal to the distance you want to go down (figure roughly your y coord minus 10), a bucket of water, some torches.

Dig a 2 block wide ditch where you want to go down. Stand in it, then dig down the block you're not standing on as far as you can reach. Hold shift, then move towards the hole as far as you can go. You're now standing across the two blocks. Dig down alternating sides until you reach your desired depth. You will see lava pits before you reach them and there's no danger of falling. The only issue is lava coming in from the sides, but that's pretty rare and you can usually block it (unless you're in the nether). Put some water at the bottom on one side for a quick descent, and ladders up the other side. Job done.

If you want to do this from the surface of an ocean, I recommend an angel block and a few stacks of gravel.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

senae posted:

rftools is what you're looking for

Thanks. But it still has the problem of requiring energy bursts per teleport.

I guess my problem is more to do with the fact mod makers seem to think there has to be a huge cost/penalty for fast and easy transport whereas I feel like the lack of an easy way to go to or from locations really discourages exploration.

I wish someone just made something like openblocks elevators with the three dyable nodes like ender tanks so you could place them anywhere, tune them to each other with dye, teleport at will and just forget about it.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Dimension Doors does that really well, unless it's changed since l last played. That was a while ago so it's entirely possible, and I'm not even sure it's updated to the version of MC you're using.

It's not completely perfect for you, though, since the rest of the mod could get a little heavy on server loads. It was also possible to get completely lost, as in thousands of blocks away, due to Limbo. (You didn't have to worry about Limbo if you were just setting up fast travel doors, though.)

It was a pretty cool mod at the time.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I think blood magic also does portals, and they look cool, but I have no idea how they work yet.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Travel Anchors also work for zipping from place to place in a base.

edit: And bane of arthropods doesn't mean you can't put sharpness on a sword, what the hell?

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 10, 2015

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Mr Scumbag posted:

You might want to try Warp Books, it's pretty cheap (just Ender Pearls and books/paper) and lets you warp to anyplace you've been to, even across dimensions. It does take a bit of hunger when you warp, but if you have any kind of farm set up it's rather negligible.

There are also Travel Anchors from EnderIO, they're kind of like OpenBlock Elevators, but lets you warp horizontally instead of just vertically. They do have kind of a short range, though, even in my smallish base I have to use multiple Anchors to get from one end to the other.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Witchcraft also has various ways of transporting about (I like ruby slippers for returning from exploration trips), and botania has world seeds which will teleport you back to the world origin. Portal mod will let you set up a number of static portals, and you can obviously carry the gun with you and use them to transport home.

There's also the transport system Blightfall uses, no idea what mod that is but it basically has a list of named locations and transports you between them.

Or you could use command blocks.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mr Scumbag posted:

I guess my problem is more to do with the fact mod makers seem to think there has to be a huge cost/penalty for fast and easy transport whereas I feel like the lack of an easy way to go to or from locations really discourages exploration.

I wish someone just made something like openblocks elevators with the three dyable nodes like ender tanks so you could place them anywhere, tune them to each other with dye, teleport at will and just forget about it.

It is a very low cost. Even a small battery will give you several teleports.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

The damage stuff definitely stacks, at least in OMP-i. By the time my swords are done they tend to have bane and smite on them for "free", and then I use the remaining slots to max out quartz, lapis, etc.

I think you can also config what stuff can be a level up modifier?

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Mr Scumbag posted:

Ars Magica 2 Gateways and Keystones work this way and can use the "free" Light Essentia (generated passively with the correct Obelisk).

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Mr Scumbag posted:

We currently have Teleport Plates going into TE, but they do take a bit of RF. The purpose isn't to make teleportation punitive, but encourage you to build at least a shack or something. Sort of a mini-base. It gives the network a bit more structure and cohesion and it's kinda fun.

Still, I can look into making it a config option.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mr Scumbag posted:

I really miss Runecraft for this reason. Teleporters were made with a four-block signature, which could be anything but dirt or smoothstone. Free transportation, total minimum cost eleven cobble and one plank.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Warp Book in the omps seem to be the least punitive of these options

It does take a lot of hunger and each location needs an ender eye but that's less trouble than running an entire power station.

Plus the book can fit in the enchiridion binder of all your mod manuals.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mr Scumbag posted:

Use a server plugin for bukkit/spigot/cauldron that lets you use /sethome or /myhome. Teleporting is actually kind of "cheap" in minecraft and allows you to do tons of abusable things. So having a cost is reasonable. Mechaet's first few servers let you set infinite homes and I'd just /sethome at some lava, /sethome at the edge of my endless mine, /sethome in my base with no entrance, /sethome at anything mildly useful, /sethome at the nether portal, /sethome at a fortress, /sethome where ever.

It resulted in hitting mining lasers and infinite power, before big reactors even existed, in a ridiculously short amount of time. And then I'd get bored and play something else but that probably says more about me than anything else.

Never ending teleport is convenient at first, but it really does diminish the game in short order. I guess limiting sethome to 1-3 per user or something would be legitimate. And you can do that in its config. I suppose there's some kind of balance between those commands and requiring a bit of power and some resource investment is probably that balance. One of the UE mods had teleporters for a while, but they had really lovely requirements: limited range and same world was awful, required both chunks to be loaded at some point after server restart - by far the worst, and they took power. The power thing was actually no big deal because it wasn't a continuous drain just a drain per warp, and you could refill them with batteries/energy cubes/that kind of thing.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 10, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Colorful Portals is my favorite teleport mod. Requires diverse but not-too-expensive materials to set up, can be made with all sorts of frames, can be created in almost any size or shape, can be vertically or horizontally aligned, and can be set up to strings or individual hubs. There's no cost to jump but creating the portal costs XP, which I never really see used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm up to the point where I can mine gold in Blightfall, finally. Took like an hour to find the green alien ore, then the not-copper, and even then I only found like four ore each of the damned things. Ended up cheating one of each in so I could get a full block out of the smeltery drain.

Is Blightfall always going to be a fight for resources like this or is there--eventually--the usual Minecraft post-scarcity to reach toward?

(Also, now that I can make casts, what's my next goal after getting my tools as upgraded as I can?)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 10, 2015