Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broguts
Oct 16, 2014

Prop Wash posted:

No, the real key error they made was allowing the Teuts to survive to Cannon Times.

Also, learn from my dumb mistake: that shiny new Force Religion button works like a charm, but it does not guarantee by any means that your newly Catholic vassal will be able to convert their entirely Orthodox land.

Don't worry, all them slavs are gonna praise Jesus the right way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Prop Wash posted:

No, the real key error they made was allowing the Teuts to survive to Cannon Times.

Also, learn from my dumb mistake: that shiny new Force Religion button works like a charm, but it does not guarantee by any means that your newly Catholic vassal will be able to convert their entirely Orthodox land.

I wish you could convert vassal land if they have the same state religion. Or loan a missionary with your missionary strength or something. I've spent more time than I'd like to admit scouring through country files to find the one that takes religious in this or that region.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I am finding the increased coring costs, harsh, but not overall game braking

This is the current tech map mode of my game about 85 years in, and despite all those core cost, annex costs, and even development costs I am still very well tech wise and leaps ahead of most of my border nations.

It has come down nothing much has changed since the AI also has these costs to deal with, that even if you are -5 behind time, the AI is probably even worse off :v:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I've never made a custom nation before. I'm playing as an elective monarchy in south america, Cuzco. The problem is, I'm constantly running out of legitimacy trying to win elections as it seems every bloody country on the map, royal marriage or not, some how has a say over my monarch election. Is this working as intended? Reading up on it only told me it was a unique government for Poland/Commonwealth. It seems weird that non-vassal or non-married countries have the ability to influence my elections. How can I stop this? How is it determined? Did I break my game with this government?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baronjutter posted:

So I've never made a custom nation before. I'm playing as an elective monarchy in south america, Cuzco. The problem is, I'm constantly running out of legitimacy trying to win elections as it seems every bloody country on the map, royal marriage or not, some how has a say over my monarch election. Is this working as intended? Reading up on it only told me it was a unique government for Poland/Commonwealth. It seems weird that non-vassal or non-married countries have the ability to influence my elections. How can I stop this? How is it determined? Did I break my game with this government?
That is the "feature" of the Polish Elective Monarchy; you are stuck with it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bort Bortles posted:

That is the "feature" of the Polish Elective Monarchy; you are stuck with it.

How does it work though exactly, like anyone of my culture group? Any neighbour? Anyone at all? Who gets to vote? And are they spending their own legitimacy to do so?

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Baronjutter posted:

How does it work though exactly, like anyone of my culture group? Any neighbour? Anyone at all? Who gets to vote? And are they spending their own legitimacy to do so?

They send a diplomat to boost their chances and anyone can do it. It costs them nothing but the diplomat's time and they get a % chance to boost their election points each month based on their diplomatic rep and relations with you. They get a bonus of monarch points and prestige if their candidate wins. I think the best strategy for the elective monarchy is to just let it happen and take whichever candidate wins.

EDIT: Nothing bad happens to you when another country's candidate wins btw, you just gain their dynasty for the duration of their rule and they otherwise act like a normal monarch. They tend to have worse stats, but beyond that there's no dire need to boost your own candidate.

Futuresight fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 10, 2015

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
If I attack from a province with a river into one without a river, will there be a penalty for crossing the river?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Higsian posted:

They send a diplomat to boost their chances and anyone can do it. It costs them nothing but the diplomat's time and they get a % chance to boost their election points each month based on their diplomatic rep and relations with you. They get a bonus of monarch points and prestige if their candidate wins. I think the best strategy for the elective monarchy is to just let it happen and take whichever candidate wins.

EDIT: Nothing bad happens to you when another country's candidate wins btw, you just gain their dynasty for the duration of their rule and they otherwise act like a normal monarch. They tend to have worse stats, but beyond that there's no dire need to boost your own candidate.

The warning made it sound like I'd be a lesser partner in a PU or something. Ok well then I won't worry so much, let the best candidate win.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
Decided to try a Brandenburg->Prussia game to get the 'Fine Goosestep' achievement. Started off well, allied Austria and Poland, declared on Teutonic Order for Neumark.
Rushed to Danzig to start the siege before Poland. Day after war dec, TO got Mecklenberg and Livonian Order as allies, they joined and steamrolled my army while Poland and Austria slowly ambled their way to help.

Time for a restart already.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Spaseman posted:

If I attack from a province with a river into one without a river, will there be a penalty for crossing the river?

It depends. Click on the province you want to attack and hover over the icon in the top-right that looks like a river and it will tell you which provinces have a river between them and the selected one. Like this:

If there is no icon then there are no crossings of rivers to adjacent provinces.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
Fallen Rib

Higsian posted:

It depends. Click on the province you want to attack and hover over the icon in the top-right that looks like a river and it will tell you which provinces have a river between them and the selected one. Like this:

If there is no icon then there are no crossings of rivers to adjacent provinces.

So even though the battle will take place in a province without a river, if the icon says that a river flows between the provinces, I will always get a penalty for attacking?

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Did they remove the England's ability to get a personal union over France in the peace deal? :arghfist::(

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Spaseman posted:

So even though the battle will take place in a province without a river, if the icon says that a river flows between the provinces, I will always get a penalty for attacking?

Yep.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Ghetto Prince posted:

Did they remove the England's ability to get a personal union over France in the peace deal? :arghfist::(

England can get a mission to force a union on France.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Spaseman posted:

No, if the attacking general has a higher maneuver score than the defender there will be no penalty for crossing rivers or straits.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!

Mountaineer posted:

England can get a mission to force a union on France.

Yup, and it's glorious:

No nation is bothering me now in Europe.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
Fallen Rib
What determines my armies ability to move through enemy provinces?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Spaseman posted:

What determines my armies ability to move through enemy provinces?

Forts. Although sometimes it can get a little weird if there's 2 forts next to each other. I think the tooltip tells you which fort's zone of control applies to each province.

I ended up restarting my Poland game because Austria was terrifying and had me completely boxed in. This time I managed to do the PU with Lithuania but drat there is not much breathing room. If you have a single negative stab event and didn't get a +2 admin advisor you'll never make it. If you have an event that forces you to spend diplo points it's the same too. Maybe they should give you a bit more time to set it up rather than just until 1458?

edit: I've also noticed the AI doing some really weird things with their stacks. I saw Lithuania leave an 8 stack in my territory despite the enemy being completely beaten and the two of us only needing to siege down the million forts the Teutonic Order has. You really cannot afford to let them survive beyond the first few years as Poland because their forts make them nearly unbeatable if they have enough allies to keep you away from a dedicated siege. The attrition alone will completely sap your manpower.

axeil fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 10, 2015

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there some secret requirement for the mission to seize the French throne, or am I just exceedingly unlucky?

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!

GSD posted:

Is there some secret requirement for the mission to seize the French throne, or am I just exceedingly unlucky?

There's quite some requirements for the mission to trigger:
http://www.eu4wiki.com/English_missions#Force_union_on_France

Basically, you need to have a core in the French region, have more provinces and a bigger army than France and it needs to be before 1475.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012
The AI occasionally seems to run into trouble with the "Mothball fort" mechanic. Some minors switch their fort maintenance on and off every day. Whatever budget threshold they're set to use to decide whether or not to support their forts keeps getting tripped.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

MG42 posted:

There's quite some requirements for the mission to trigger:
http://www.eu4wiki.com/English_missions#Force_union_on_France

Basically, you need to have a core in the French region, have more provinces and a bigger army than France and it needs to be before 1475.

Having a bigger army is not a requirement I would have expected. Huh. The more you know.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Really enjoying the new patch and Common Sense so far, so much so that I bought a bunch of unit packs, music, and even the Muslim advisors pack for some reason. There's some glitches but the HRE is fun, with the forts making territory much more relevant. Siege attrition seems to be very brutal on the attacker, though I did invade Switzerland after all. With the fights I'm getting into I'll be lucky if my Austria can keep Emperor for the whole game.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

I think the Monarch Point Development costs aren't too bad considering you're no longer spending them on buildings.

I do agree that it feels like we are getting stretched thinner with how we utilise them however.

So long as you don't keep teching up massively ahead of time you usually have enough to spare I find.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Pellisworth posted:

So, uh, my game won't launch at all. I played as the Teutonic Order to try out the new Theocracy and fort/zone of control mechanics, got about 30 years in and quit for dinner. Now I cannot launch the game at all, despite having restarted my computer, Steam, and verifying the game cache twice.

:siren: Delete all out of date mods and unsubscribe on the Workshop :siren:

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Monarch point costs are way too demanding. It's 1550 in my current game and I have 2 ideas unlocked. Not groups, ideas. I'm a bit behind in tech and struggling to keep up. That's not even mentioning the province improvements, which there is absolutely no room for and I haven't touched.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Yeah, I like the idea of province development but it seems to be an alternative to normal expansion. Like, it'll probably make it a lot easier to play some merchant republic or colonizer and become huge without expanding your European borders much. Other than that I don't expect to use it much.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Looked up the new fort system, now I see why rebels managed to swallow up all these provinces.

Also gave me some bugs with an old save, my vassals became indpendeent no government and a bunch of european provinces has become terra incognita, some of which border my territory.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

axeil posted:

edit: I've also noticed the AI doing some really weird things with their stacks. I saw Lithuania leave an 8 stack in my territory despite the enemy being completely beaten and the two of us only needing to siege down the million forts the Teutonic Order has.

Did you have lith set to supportive? I was confused for a bit till I has realised I set that.

I'm super starved for manpower a Poland after sieging TO/LO forts, that attrition is huge compared to my recovery speed.

Also, I've been getting huge lag when changing ducat values in peace deals.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
Why does the peace offer screen no longer indicate which provinces I have claims on? Seems like a strange thing to remove and it's annoying to have to go between the diplomatic map mode and peace screen to find out.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

LordArgh posted:

Why does the peace offer screen no longer indicate which provinces I have claims on? Seems like a strange thing to remove and it's annoying to have to go between the diplomatic map mode and peace screen to find out.

Oh yeah that is really annoying

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'm really enjoying Common Sense so far. Forts and ZOC are amazing, province development and the change to actually viably build tall is great too (though I'm playing England at the moment, so I won't be developing much). The parliament mechanic is really neat too.

I'm only about 30 or 40 years into the game though and haven't run into any noticeable bugs either.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Yeah, bugs seem to be very limited compared to other releases, but the main one (rebels inheriting your country) is really, really big.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I'm not a fan of being able to demand provinces you haven't occupied. Sure it's handy to take away random islands or whatever but maybe it should only work on provinces that aren't in a fort's area of influence?

I'm trying to play Granada and Castille is able to sit in my one remaining Spanish province, get a ticking warscore and demand lands in North Africa... Even though they can't send any troops there cause they'd get murdered.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
I think this is the first time I actually ended up accepting to lose a war in EU4. Started up as Milan, did a quickie war for Lucca, then saw that Venice got into a shitstorm and attacked while I had the chance. I'd have likely won the war if Tuscany didn't take Lucca, and then after that would have lost if not for Switzerland declaring war afterward. Once I saw that things looked pretty bad I just took war reps from Savoy and peace'd out.

North Italy looks fun, but you definitely need to play smart now. Loving this patch so far.

Gonbon
Feb 15, 2004
sdf
The move locking is broken (for humans.) Just queue a move that would take you through the province you're currently moving to and the move lock cancels.

e: http://i.imgur.com/CvVzzFx.gifv I don't think I explained it right.

Gonbon fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 10, 2015

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
You know what I almost fine with the more expensive coring, +40% on average isn't that bad and its easier to stay above 50 power projection anyway. Plus it makes -coring cost idea much more valuable.

What bothers me is diplo-anaxing being almost 300% more expensive, which pretty much means its always going to more expensive point wise then just Taking the land yourself in the first place considering you don't get the reductions from claims on your vassals land. It almost feels like they completely forgot to rebalanced it for then development system. I'm not a game designer but I really feel it should be something like 5-7 diplo points per development.

The other thing that I feel really wasn't balanced for the new expansion features was rebels who negatively effect a province when they take it. Rebels taking land without a fort in one month is one thing but I really feel you shouldn't get +10 years of separatism or have the religion of the province flipped while that land is still in the zone of control of a fort. I mean isn't the whole point of the new fort system that forts are suppose to protect the land around them, and make it so you never feel like you fully control the land as long as the nearby fort is uncaptured?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Honestly I think diploannexing being stupid expensive now is fine. It was basically easymode just diploannexing everyone before.

I am also really digging the province development mechanic, finally something to do with those extra monarch points that just pile up. I don't think I've got a solid enough grip on it to feel whether the current costs are too high (or ... low?) but overall I enjoy the way the new system lets us do more with our provinces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Vorpal Cat posted:

You know what I almost fine with the more expensive coring, +40% on average isn't that bad and its easier to stay above 50 power projection anyway. Plus it makes -coring cost idea much more valuable.

What bothers me is diplo-anaxing being almost 300% more expensive, which pretty much means its always going to more expensive point wise then just Taking the land yourself in the first place considering you don't get the reductions from claims on your vassals land. It almost feels like they completely forgot to rebalanced it for then development system. I'm not a game designer but I really feel it should be something like 5-7 diplo points per development.

The other thing that I feel really wasn't balanced for the new expansion features was rebels who negatively effect a province when they take it. Rebels taking land without a fort in one month is one thing but I really feel you shouldn't get +10 years of separatism or have the religion of the province flipped while that land is still in the zone of control of a fort. I mean isn't the whole point of the new fort system that forts are suppose to protect the land around them, and make it so you never feel like you fully control the land as long as the nearby fort is uncaptured?

Rebels are sort of dumb now but I think that they've been trying to go this way since the beginning. In real history, even the most powerful nations barely made gains. Unless it's MP, you're not going to ever get the sort of diplomacy you'd see going against that, so they have been trying their best to make things be similar to history in SP. Vassal feeding was probably thought of as an exploit. I don't think it ever was intended behavior.

That said, someone mentioned before that world conquest looks impossible now so I'm curious if anyone can go about and do it with how difficult things are.

And the monarch point system is now even more broken. Whoever said luck dictates whatever you can do in game is pretty much right. That could be really fun or awesome just not in this case. Everything is set on one source based on pure luck. If even that was just set as 10 year intervals, it wouldn't be so bad, but this is a game where some nations get a 100 year 6/6/6 ruler and some get multiple 1/1/1 rulers for over 100 years.

• Locked thread