Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

- Dinos can no longer damage metal structures. Rockets are now using "demolition" damage type which makes them as effective as C4. All explosions effectiveness vs structures increased 50%.

Game changer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Google Butt posted:

Game changer.

For real, right? This goes a long way in making establishing a base more viable. Dinos get used for labor and PvP, base-wrecking requires explosives, and probably a lot of them.

And I know that the paradigm is that having a lot of stuff means being afraid of losing all that stuff. I'm sympathetic to that, but the end-game stuff really does seem to require us to set up certain facilities and getting production lines going.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

orangelex44 posted:

If we start totally fresh we'd get some breathing room since the other major players won't be positive who we are, but on the other hand that seems a bit too much like surrendering for my taste. Twathammer should rise again from the ashes, like a dick joke phoenix!

This is a pretty terrible idea. Booting everyone from the tribe won't do anything but make a logistics nightmare and make some goons assume the guild dissolved. Which will chase people off.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Do your character's proportions have any effect on gameplay? Other than making you a visually larger or smaller target ?

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Archonex posted:

This is a pretty terrible idea. Booting everyone from the tribe won't do anything but make a logistics nightmare and make some goons assume the guild dissolved. Which will chase people off.

Not that I'm playing with you guys but now you can rename your clan so you can be more "incognito" :ninja:

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

So what are we doing? Moving to the goon server or rebuilding?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Rebuilding, with the new patch we've enacted some....shenanigans to reduce our profile for now.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Does anyone know the host for these official servers? I'm curious if they are using something like amazon's cloud service to handle it. I'm basing this on seeing things like "officialserver365" and "pve-officialserver377".

Game seems popular though which is a good thing.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I'm on server 40. Character name is Slim Jim will try and link up later

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

Does anyone know the host for these official servers? I'm curious if they are using something like amazon's cloud service to handle it. I'm basing this on seeing things like "officialserver365" and "pve-officialserver377".

Game seems popular though which is a good thing.

All the server seem to be on Internap, but I think they're seriously under-powered for 70 players with the current state of the dedicated server, hence the rubberbanding/unresponsiveness .

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Nuts, they patched out the gamma command. These guys move quick.

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010

zorch posted:

Nuts, they patched out the gamma command. These guys move quick.

Really glad they did this, as the darkness is pretty rad but I felt like I had to gamma hack because I assumed everybody was. It's really going to be crazy now.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Yeah, I never used it, so glad it's been fixed. It was pretty bullshit.

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 10, 2015

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Goodchild posted:

Really glad they did this, as the darkness is pretty rad but I felt like I had to gamma hack because I assumed everybody was. It's really going to be crazy now.

Night raids will be interesting now. Either use a torch to find your way, but be seen coming. Or turn them off and bumble around in the dark to be stealthy.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

JuffoWup posted:

Night raids will be interesting now. Either use a torch to find your way, but be seen coming. Or turn them off and bumble around in the dark to be stealthy.

Never forget that flare guns are a thing, and they are amazing. Pop one of those fuckers then snipe them off at a distance.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
The caves are loving massive, labyrinthine and sprawling. A bunch of us did some exploration and they just go on and on an on. A lot of sections are flooded and filled with Piranha which makes deep exploration extremely tricky.

The devs made reference to a "Hidden Valley" and I'm certain it's at the bottom of one of these deep caves.

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.

fromoutofnowhere posted:

It's already dead.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Apparently you can still up the gamma with GPU setting or whatever the gently caress that means? I heard people mentioning it on my server. :(

What was in this recent hotfix? Something off with melee?

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.

Upcoming patch note of interest:
- "Pistol whip" melee damages are nerfed appropriately and they now lose durability accordingly.
Also, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
This cave. Holy gently caress.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

lilspooky posted:

Apparently you can still up the gamma with GPU setting or whatever the gently caress that means? I heard people mentioning it on my server. :(

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Gamesguy posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I tried it through the ATI control panel and couldn't get it to apply the changes to the game.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

This cave. Holy gently caress.

Which cave is this? I can't get on tonight.... :/

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Goddamn it, I have poor impulse control and bought this. WITCHER 3 IS RIGHT THERE AND I'M BUYING JURASSIC PARK HUNGER GAMES.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Today, we helped our neighbors clean out their cabinets :3:

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

They are still so very, very salty.
I think we killed:
3/4 Trikes
6 Raptors
1 level 46 TRex
1 Carno
1 Scorpion

All in all, we had a poo poo load of fun while murdering these nerds. Not to mention the huge amount of loot we made from them.

TwatHammer fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 10, 2015

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

These the guys that hit us last night?

Zerric
Jan 11, 2003
Big Dick Zerric
No that's Khaos. Those guys are way ahead of everyone with tech

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
What about a base built on a cliffside overhanging the sea, with one long ladder/hatch, level with the ground at the top of the cliff, being the entrance/exit? Trex cant bite much except dino pens on the land, cos it would fall in the sea, and we wouldnt build out from the cliffside so people cant easily drop onto it without dying from fall damage. Hopefully it would only be observable from the sea or a flyer going across the shore?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I'm really happy with those patch notes. They're adding like 3 or 4 of the Top Ten things I wished them to implement.
Primitive Fridge is the first one i'll research :)

I am wondering though, is bow melee damage supposed to be as good as it is now? Downing a Stego with 3 people in a matter of seconds just feels wrong.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

The raid on those guys was crazy fun today and we learned a few things don't try to tranq a tamed rex it doesn't work I do feel really bad for the good that tried to make their way to the new base while we were at war no one really had time to help them

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I went on a deep cave exploration trip in a flooded sinkhole I found at the bottom of a huge cave system. I managed to find a small tunnel at the bottom of the sinkhole that lead into a snaking network of underwater tunnels punctuated by a few small pockets of air. I spent about 15 minutes exploring before I died to schools of piranha fish, but it looks like there might be some really good poo poo down there. Goddamn it is freaky swimming through the dark tunnels though.

edit: I learned two things today: One, that you have to place IEDs on structures, they can't just be placed wherever you want on the ground. So I built a fence foundation and wired up two IEDs to make a tripwire just inside our gate. The second thing I learned is that IED's don't care if you're friendly or enemy, they blow the gently caress up either way if you accidentally trip it.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jun 10, 2015

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

nightwisher posted:

I went on a deep cave exploration trip in a flooded sinkhole I found at the bottom of a huge cave system. I managed to find a small tunnel at the bottom of the sinkhole that lead into a snaking network of underwater tunnels punctuated by a few small pockets of air. I spent about 15 minutes exploring before I died to schools of piranha fish, but it looks like there might be some really good poo poo down there. Goddamn it is freaky swimming through the dark tunnels though.

edit: I learned two things today: One, that you have to place IEDs on structures, they can't just be placed wherever you want on the ground. So I built a fence foundation and wired up two IEDs to make a tripwire just inside our gate. The second thing I learned is that IED's don't care if you're friendly or enemy, they blow the gently caress up either way if you accidentally trip it.

Now we can add death by friendly IED's to your list of things killed by

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

How much food does one need on their character to survive a full 24-hour day? I just started playing this, but I can only log in a few hours a night and want to make sure I don't wake up dead each time (or my new Dilo). I will be going on a full week vacation with no powerhouse PC that can run this later in the month, I hope I can stock up enough by then to fill myself with berries to make it. The goon server was full so I went with a PvE server to learn the game before getting raped, robbed, and tossed into the ocean every night.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
You don't need to eat or drink if you are logged out. Any food in your inventory Will keep on rotting though.

For what it's worth, your pets don't need to eat either if you / your whole tribe isn't logged in either.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Awesome, thanks. I am not in a tribe yet, but everyone on the server I joined seems to be mostly lost and not much into banding together so I'll just play it solo for a while.

DrSeRRoD fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 10, 2015

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
So gently caress pipes in their current state.

Earlier Mono was getting the pipes set up, broke one and the whole system but a few pipes collapsed. I was adding more to the new rebuilt system today and at like the 500 stone mark 80% of the system collapsed on itself. There are now miscelanious pieces of pipe all over the place in the cave. Overall, gently caress pipes till they fix them.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
On a private 40 man server a friend and I managed to metal wall off the southern cave and establish a base inside with loads of storage and all the crafting benches one would need. We walled off both sides of the canyon, so the only way in is to either fall or fly down the very high rock face or through the metal dino gates. I have about a dozen trikes and scorpions inside the enclosure for combat and harvesting. Having an uncontested, unlimited supply of metal has been pretty awesome.

Now that mounts share 50% exp with their rider, I've found that going down into the caves and taming a pair of scorpions to use as combat mounts has been a nearly game-breaking way to level up. Since the scorpions are so strong and the snakes and spiders in the cave are so weak, I went from 40 to 46 in about 30 minutes, all the time farming metal and chitin. The only problem is the scorpions wont fit through the upper cave halls so they can never leave, and the wild scorpions do a pretty good job of poisoning and knocking your mounts out if you aren't careful.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

YOTC posted:

So gently caress pipes in their current state.
Earlier Mono was getting the pipes set up, broke one and the whole system but a few pipes collapsed. I was adding more to the new rebuilt system today and at like the 500 stone mark 80% of the system collapsed on itself. There are now miscelanious pieces of pipe all over the place in the cave. Overall, gently caress pipes till they fix them.
Plumbing is obnoxious and finicky, removing sections will break random areas hanging in midair fifty feet away. How viable are water tanks?

Worried that electric cables will be just as bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

You don't threaten twathammer...