Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

GSD posted:

You need to be logged in.

Cool, thanks.

Haven't bothered to transfer my account over when they made their new forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Is there a good way to remove vassals who are no longer useful without making everyone hate you? I would like to land some more claimants to my court without depleting my demense. I know I can go 2-for-1 by fabricating a claim and giving an invited claimant that land but even at 20% chance/year, that's unreliable.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

beedeebee posted:

Did this. It's going pretty good at the moment. My ruler died pretty early, dividing his duchies between me and my brother. Both under 16, so I had to wait some years in regency. As soon as I turned 16, I stabbed my 14 year old brother and inherited his duchy. Unfortunately, I got caught and got the kinslayer trait.
Fortunately, I was under attack by Muslims, so that +75 'Defending against infidels' really helped.
Took some counties, formed the kingdom of Sicily. Then I decided to swear fealty to the HRE, because there's no way I'm gonna take them on on my own. Now I'm marshal and the HRE dude loves me.
At the moment I'm taking large chunks of Northern Africa, while the HRE is taking over France. I started a faction to become the leader of the HRE, so far 62% back me. I'll probably fire the event once the HRE conquered France :)
After that, my ruler will probably die and everything will go to poo poo, but that's life CK2.

Also, on an unrelated note, this playthrough made me realise that sometimes it's best to just lose a war. Under attack by 6-8k infidels and some idiot decides he wants some stupid little county? Rather than deplete my treasory and hire mercenaries, I went: gently caress it, let him have it. For now. We can always :ese: later.

Well then. I took some huge chunks of Northern Africa, but the emperor of the HRE couldn't defend against a Jihad so I lost it all.
Couple of years later the emperor is waging like 8 wars at once, and losing. So I figure, now is my chance to become emperor of the HRE! Of course, he won't go down with a fight. I manage to gain a bit of warscore at first, but he calls in a ton of allies and I start losing. Badly.
Luckily my king gets maimed and he dies a couple of months later. My son inherits, war ends :)
Now I'm back at the start I guess. Gonna try to marry my way in some new territory.

The unpredictability of this game is so awesome.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Walton Simons posted:

Is there a good way to remove vassals who are no longer useful without making everyone hate you? I would like to land some more claimants to my court without depleting my demense. I know I can go 2-for-1 by fabricating a claim and giving an invited claimant that land but even at 20% chance/year, that's unreliable.

Once you inevitably catch them plotting against you, you can try to imprison them. If they escape and raise their flag in rebellion, you can strip them of one title for free after you have beaten them.

If you play Muslim, just manage your decadence and then take the special decision to declare a fatna against relatively decadent vassals, which gives you a free revocation as well.

You can also plot to take away somebody's lands if they hold territory outside their de jure duchy (if they are dukes) or kingdom (if they are kings).

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Pimpmust posted:

There's a big rear end Warhammer overhaul mod too, although so far I've only managed to get my rear end handed to me.

This was finished? Interesting. Way more exciting than GoT, which I thought would be cool.

Too bad 7 giant kingdoms in one empire wasn't actually to my particular liking. I much prefer a real variety of feudal states and working my way up from count, which used to be impossible in GoT because of crown laws--I think they fixed it.

In any case, glad to see there is new DLC coming out. I was beginning to feel like CK2 was being put on Paradox's back burner.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Looking forward to Crusader Kings of Dragon Pass.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

So just scheme away with the spymaster in their county long enough and something will come up? Nice.

e: Don't gently caress with this guy :stare:

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 9, 2015

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

ZombieLenin posted:

This was finished? Interesting. Way more exciting than GoT, which I thought would be cool.

Too bad 7 giant kingdoms in one empire wasn't actually to my particular liking. I much prefer a real variety of feudal states and working my way up from count, which used to be impossible in GoT because of crown laws--I think they fixed it.

In any case, glad to see there is new DLC coming out. I was beginning to feel like CK2 was being put on Paradox's back burner.

You think there should be some more fragmentation in the Empire to start with, then?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My Genius, Strong, Attractive half-brother decided to lead a band of adventurers against me.
Being basically an ubermensch, it was impossible to get any decent plot percentage against him, which made me sad.
When he inevitably declared war, not only did 15k troops magically appear in my capital province, but I got the generic pop-up that happens when a member of your court goes off adventuring, with the flavour text for closing the dialogue box being 'good luck'.

:fuckoff:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

There's a bunch of typos in that diary, groogy, it keeps saying Khan instead of Khal :colbert:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Yeeesss, thanks to all those who answered my questions, in the end I managed to 100% warscore the rebels into giving me the Faroe Islands, it was pretty metal sending 11K guys over and having them fight everyone in the Norwegian winter until the remaining 2,300 troops cornered his army to give me the win. He was 76 by the end I was really worried he'd die a natural death rather than an unnatural one. Props for leading my troops into the arctic and back at that age, though.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

kingturnip posted:

My Genius, Strong, Attractive half-brother decided to lead a band of adventurers against me.
Being basically an ubermensch, it was impossible to get any decent plot percentage against him, which made me sad.
When he inevitably declared war, not only did 15k troops magically appear in my capital province, but I got the generic pop-up that happens when a member of your court goes off adventuring, with the flavour text for closing the dialogue box being 'good luck'.

:fuckoff:

I had a superman adventurer that was somehow allied to the Abbasid blob declare for the kingdom of Egypt on me once, He landed right on Alexandria and had 0 morale. I captured him and ended the war without even losing a guy. Good Luck!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
are merchant families locked into agnatic-cognatic? i changed secession law in the republic to cognatic, now it looks like my first child (daughter) will inherit the patricianship while my second child (son) will inherit all the castles and cities i've collected

if i have to i'll just cheat the change back but my eldest is pretty cool, she's a brave fortune builder with five virtues and my eldest son is strong but ill and cowardly

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Popular Thug Drink posted:

are merchant families locked into agnatic-cognatic? i changed secession law in the republic to cognatic, now it looks like my first child (daughter) will inherit the patricianship while my second child (son) will inherit all the castles and cities i've collected

if i have to i'll just cheat the change back but my eldest is pretty cool, she's a brave fortune builder with five virtues and my eldest son is strong but ill and cowardly

If I recall correctly, then merchant republics are hardcoded to agnatic, meaning no woman can ever inherit the republic. I don't know how you managed to chance the secession law to cognatic. If you did it through the console, you will probably experience some weirdness when your character dies and the game sorts out the inheritance. Save, kill your character through the console, and see what happens.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Torrannor posted:

If I recall correctly, then merchant republics are hardcoded to agnatic, meaning no woman can ever inherit the republic. I don't know how you managed to chance the secession law to cognatic. If you did it through the console, you will probably experience some weirdness when your character dies and the game sorts out the inheritance. Save, kill your character through the console, and see what happens.

playing with the after the fall mod, i've since changed it back to avoid splitting the republic but my first daughter (who i've since married off to the prince of a powerful kingdom) is pretty cheesed off and is trying to kill me, even though she's still displayed as heir of the other duchy that i added to the republic. whoops! good thing we're lovely at intrigue as a family

e: welp, she died of pneumonia. guess that takes care of that

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 10, 2015

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I had a superman adventurer that was somehow allied to the Abbasid blob declare for the kingdom of Egypt on me once, He landed right on Alexandria and had 0 morale. I captured him and ended the war without even losing a guy. Good Luck!

Yeah, I have about 7k in levies in my capital, so they were able to hang on long enough for everyone else to dogpile my shitlord brother.
He's currently in prison while I debate what to do next. 500 gold would be nice, but he'd be a great Council member again. Plus, I'd quite like to seduce his wife

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Freudian posted:

There's a bunch of typos in that diary, groogy, it keeps saying Khan instead of Khal :colbert:

Doomdark wrote it this time, not me :P
I made all of the features that he talks about in that diary though.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

beedeebee posted:

Well then. I took some huge chunks of Northern Africa, but the emperor of the HRE couldn't defend against a Jihad so I lost it all.
Couple of years later the emperor is waging like 8 wars at once, and losing. So I figure, now is my chance to become emperor of the HRE! Of course, he won't go down with a fight. I manage to gain a bit of warscore at first, but he calls in a ton of allies and I start losing. Badly.
Luckily my king gets maimed and he dies a couple of months later. My son inherits, war ends :)
Now I'm back at the start I guess. Gonna try to marry my way in some new territory.

The unpredictability of this game is so awesome.

Good stuff playing along when things don't go your way.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Is there a good start for learning tribal mechanics?

I've played decently long games as a Catholic feudal, Muslim feudal, Orthodox feudal, Norse (also feudal, because this was before Charlemagne), and a republic, and now I want to try a game as a different religion and try to learn how to play as a tribal faction essentially in preparation for the new DLC. Is there a good non-Germanic or Catholic start for tribes in the 867 and 1066+ starts for newbies?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Good stuff playing along when things don't go your way.

Well yeah, that's like the core of the game for me. You can plan all you want and then suddenly everything crumbles around you. Then you panick and try to limit your losses or take advantage of a new opportunity.
Although I sometimes reload a save when super super bullshit things happen.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Didn't someone mention a mod to make the Byzantines easier to break up? Because god dang they are annoying.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

The clans look great. Nomads look like the perfect mix of republican internal politics and tribal warmongering. :hist101:

As for Mani as a Zoroastrian heresy, welp. It's not really accurate but it doesn't really bother me too much as I have a hard time seeing both religions becoming relevant at the same time anyway. The Uyghur expansion gives me hope that the faith will be filled out some, but worst case scenario I'll just convert to Buddhism and pretend.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Darth Windu posted:

Didn't someone mention a mod to make the Byzantines easier to break up? Because god dang they are annoying.

Breaking up the Byzantines just means they'll get gobbled up by the Abassids/Seljuks.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
I've never had a 769 start date where Constantinople didn't fall to either Pannonia or Abbasid by 900.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Will it be possible to get the speed up effects in a different patch form the map expansion so it doesn't break saves?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Baron Porkface posted:

Will it be possible to get the speed up effects in a different patch form the map expansion so it doesn't break saves?

You could probably copy the map data from before the patch and use it as a mod.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Breaking up the Byzantines just means they'll get gobbled up by the Abassids/Seljuks.

Well, something that breaks up non-catholic blobs then because for some reason Europe won't blob like what yet the Byzantines and Musselmen have zero problem being and staying huge.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Darth Windu posted:

Well, something that breaks up non-catholic blobs then because for some reason Europe won't blob like what yet the Byzantines and Musselmen have zero problem being and staying huge.

Europe won't blob in most cases anyway, and the Byzantines are often the one thing standing between the usually even stronger Abbasids or their replacements (through decadence invasion) and non-blobbing Europe. You will wish for the times when the Byzantines were still strong when the Sunni Caliph controls everything from Spain, over North Africa and the Middle East to Greece.

And yes, it would be nice for something that breaks up these blobs. There is one such mechanic, and that the arrival of the Mongols. Of course, they can quickly turn out to be even worse.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Is there a way to filter for characters with strong claims? It would really ease things for me.

e: Also if my wife dies and my new wife has an inheritable claim, will it get passed to my kids when she dies?

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 10, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Walton Simons posted:

Is there a way to filter for characters with strong claims? It would really ease things for me.

e: Also if my wife dies and my new wife has an inheritable claim, will it get passed to my kids when she dies?

Only to her kids.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

OK, that's fine. She has no kids at the moment so if my King has a kid with her, they'll have the claim and as my dynasty member will become my vassal should I get the chance to press a weak claim.

My guy is pretty old. If he dies before we have kids, would her claims just vanish?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Walton Simons posted:

OK, that's fine. She has no kids at the moment so if my King has a kid with her, they'll have the claim and as my dynasty member will become my vassal should I get the chance to press a weak claim.

My guy is pretty old. If he dies before we have kids, would her claims just vanish?

Not if you can marry her to a younger member of your dynasty to have kids with her.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Now there's an idea.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

For the first time in all my hours plaything this game, I finally inherited a kingdom from the outside using Elective.

I didn't even know I was on the ballot.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Funky Valentine posted:

For the first time in all my hours plaything this game, I finally inherited a kingdom from the outside using Elective.

I didn't even know I was on the ballot.

I didn't ultimately win it, but I did have one game where as some random duke I was first in line for the Byzantine empire for a little bit. I have no idea why they were voting for me of all people.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
If they don't vote for a lizard, the wrong lizard might get elected.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If they don't like the current liege the various dukes usually just vote for the guy they like best, which basically means highest Diplomacy (which has a good chance of being the player character since the player focuses on training their heirs for high Diplomacy much more than the AI does).

I think the entire AI thought process behind how they decide who to support in Elective successions could use work. There should be a lot more politics and deal striking involved.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think the entire AI thought process behind how they decide who to support in Elective successions could use work. There should be a lot more politics and deal striking involved.

No there wasn't, you just threw some money their way and anyone who wasn't Ambitious went blindly with your choice.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

No there wasn't, you just threw some money their way and anyone who wasn't Ambitious went blindly with your choice.

how is this different from what we currently have with Patricians, or, for that matter, the college of Cardinals (to a lesser extent)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

geheimnisnacht is really good

• Locked thread