Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

The only other conclusion is that the people who said they'd quit the show actually did and I don't believe that for a god drat second

Reading the TVIV thread makes me want to create a spreadsheet of posters who said they'd stop watching but continued and people who create hysterical posts about how much they 'hate' characters that were their favourite 'badass' violent psychopath characters a week ago.

Conclusion: stop reading TVIV (But I can't stop anyway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

would, would, would

terrez
Mar 20, 2012

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Quick shoutout to whatever spergtard read Victor Vermis' post about proper blocking two weeks ago and finished off EP 9 with the most composed shot imaginable.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
So did Dany just say "holy poo poo I'm so done with all this" and just left everyone to die? I mean dragons are neat but that's kinda lovely.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Spoiler for those who haven't read the books: Bran, Arya, and Danni's stories are all boring and terrible. Borderline skippable.

At least the show cut out the bit about Danni leaking period blood all over the place when she flies off.

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
Are you telling me that Arya doesn't become a rad assassin who goes around killing off the rest of the main characters?

:(

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

terrez posted:

Are you telling me that Arya doesn't become a rad assassin who goes around killing off the rest of the main characters?

"A girl must kill herself to self her kill must girl"
-Faceless Bro

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

terrez posted:

No, but the good news is that she spends half a book blind though!

terrez
Mar 20, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

No, but the good news is that she spends half a book blind though!

Is that after book 4? I've heard less than favorable things about anything beyond that @_@

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

terrez posted:

Is that after book 4? I've heard less than favorable things about anything beyond that @_@

Yeah, it's book 5 which features all of the characters not in Westeros.

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
So what I'm understanding atm:

1) GRRM writes books 1-4 in the 80s and makes a decent story
2) GRRM ate too many bacon pies and gets tired. Loses mental focus and goes off on a tangent book about bullshit
3) GRRM spends the rest of the 90s and 2000s and 2010s ramming full-size honey baked hams into his face instead of finishing the series

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

terrez posted:

So what I'm understanding atm:

1) GRRM writes books 1-4 in the 80s and makes a decent story
2) GRRM ate too many bacon pies and gets tired. Loses mental focus and goes off on a tangent book about bullshit
3) GRRM spends the rest of the 90s and 2000s and 2010s ramming full-size honey baked hams into his face instead of finishing the series

No, GRRM is just the typical fantasy writer that went off the rails with his :siren: FANTASY EPIC :siren: the moment he got on contract.

Book 4 and 5 were originally just "Book 4" until someone slapped the poo poo out of him and told him to split it into two books so that people would actually read it/they would have an extra book to sell.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

First book was apparently published in 96. 96, 98, 00, 05, 11, ??, ??

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

First book was apparently published in 96. 96, 98, 00, 05, 11, ??, ??

My first book was published at the dawn of creation and my final shall be published when the stars fall from the sky...I, CaligulaGRRM.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
GRRM is the next Robert Jordan, and thank god for the TV show because it will eventually end and also has reigned in a lot of the dumber poo poo from the books. There's still some stuff missing that they either haven't covered or maybe (hopefully) are going to leave out.

Compared to the show, the books loving suck. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just trying to be :smuggo: about the fact that they can tolerate reading thousands of pages of bullshit. If you read the books underway, that's [my] an excuse.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

The books have their problems, sure, but there is a lot more going on in them and most of the storylines have been vastly simplified for the show which is a shame I think because there is a lot of cool stuff being left out.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Like the Myrish swamp?

The only thing I wish they'd include from the books is Bronn lancing his opponent's horse in a jousting duel.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

The pretender Dragon landing in Storm's End, Victarion's Fleet arriving in Mareen, Davos wandering the North looking for Rickon, the Slaver Cities warring with Danni, Sam heading to the Citadel to become a Maester (though in fairness that could still happen in the show), and the overarching sub-plot about magic returning to the world are the big ones that stick out in my mind.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I don't think the show watchers would have the attention span to keep up with that many added subplots to what's going on now.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My mom can barely remember anyone who isn't Jon Snow or Danny and it makes me so angry when she asks me what's going on even though we watch every episode together.

Also I wish Sam would speak up and just tell Jon he wants to be a Maester so he and Lily can get out of there.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Anita Dickinme posted:

My mom can barely remember anyone who isn't Jon Snow or Danny and it makes me so angry when she asks me what's going on even though we watch every episode together.

Also I wish Sam would speak up and just tell Jon he wants to be a Maester so he and Lily can get out of there.

You still live with your mom and watch every game of thrones with her.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

ManMythLegend posted:

The books have their problems, sure, but there is a lot more going on in them and most of the storylines have been vastly simplified for the show which is a shame I think because there is a lot of cool stuff being left out.

That's what I like about the show. I don't really give a gently caress about Ser Whoever from a long and prestigious family and oh, now he's dead. Waaaaaaaaaay too many characters in the books. The show owns.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

anne frank fanfic posted:

You still live with your mom and watch every game of thrones with her.

No, I live in her basement. :nallears:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Separate locking doors means you don't live together.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
I said what I said as someone who read and generally enjoyed the books, I just think the show is that much better. The only subplot that I'm currently wondering about is the other Targaryen kid, and zombie Catelyn. Also whether or not Jon Snow is a worg that gets trapped in a direwolf's body when that little idiot kid eventually shoots him with an arrow like he did the wildling chick.

spoiler alert

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
i actually hope they kill off jon snow cuz im sick of his poo poo

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There apparently have been a lot of leaks with screenshots.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

There apparently have been a lot of leaks with screenshots.

uh we arent talking about your testicular fistula

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i actually hope they kill off jon snow cuz im sick of his poo poo

Jon Snow is the one story that doesn't suck.

powerful

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

More so when you realize that emoticon is just him checking for the leak in his ceiling that happens everytime his stepdad flushes

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
hey man leave the kid alone he probably just graduated high school

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My lease ended and instead of signing another year contract for a place I would only be staying in for three months before I go off to boot I moved back in with my mom because she loves me and I'm a hero. TYVM

Booblord Zagats posted:

More so when you realize that emoticon is just him checking for the leak in his ceiling that happens everytime his stepdad flushes

If we actually had a basement our pipes would be top notch. :colbert:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Littlefinger is the one story that doesn't suck.

:colbert:

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

uh we arent talking about your testicular fistula

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

suck my dick and my balls

Dany's rear end was primo in season 1 never should have pivoted to her titties IMO

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Jon Snow is the one story that doesn't suck.

\

until he gets news that stannis failed and was killed and he trys to take the nights watch to recover winterfell...and gets murdered for it

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Littlefinger is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

loving :lol:

• Locked thread