Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've never seen a switch like he's talking about, maybe he can post an example? The only thing I can think of is like a source selector where position 3 is position 1 plus position 2, then that layout makes sense from both a use standpoint and probably a wiring one.

Most of my DJ mixers inputs are like that, left is phono 1, middle is line 1, right is phono 3, but that's more of a design choice for doing tricks rather than a necessity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Qwijib0 posted:

You should just be able to use whatever input you didn't use on that little amp and connect that to the primary input of the system that the sub was a part of, be it on the sub or a box attached to it. Because you have no speakers attached to that system anymore, all you should get is the noises that would have come out of the sub. I did this for years with a Logitech z something 5.1 sub.

The two inputs are in parallel on the lepai so they are both effectively in/out, it would be the same as using a Y splitter off the DAC, but you don't need the Y splitter. Because both connected things, the lepai, and your sub, are powered, you don't really have to worry about impedance matching-- the loads are so tiny because they're inputs to amplifiers.

Thanks!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Was just flicking through youtube watching a video on redlining mixers and how it fucks your signal path (obviously). Then in the related videos found a video on about digital cables where the dude was like "if you pay X amount on digital thinking it'll make a difference, you're mad" and in the comments:

quote:

Several others have picked up on this also, what you've missed when it comes to digital cables is that you're not trying to maintain the actual data being passed. You're aim is to lower resistance so that data gets to its destination as fast as possible. Poor cables can give noticeable lag which is a bastard for sound cards. That's where the value comes in.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

So let's see exactly how little sense that guy is making.

The speed of light is approximately 300,000,000 meters per second. According to wikipedia, the speed of electricity in consumer devices can be anywhere from 50% to 99% of the speed of light, so let's say the worst-case scenario is 150,000,000 meters per second.

That's roughly 15-30 centimeters per nanosecond.

In other words, the signal traveling down a 2 meter long cable will be delayed between 6.6 and 13.2 nanoseconds.

So either cheap cable manufacturers have somehow invented an electricity delay line in the shape of inexpensive copper wiring, and are selling this wonder of technology for next to nothing, or that guy is making literally no sense at all.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 18, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They're probably hooked on to the fact that latency is an actual issue for people doing recording, and decided that it must affect their playback too. Which it obviously doesn't.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Either that or they're somehow extrapolating the idea that you have to adjust relative delay for multi-speaker setups with varying distances to the listener and assume the speed of sound "in cables" is the same as in air? You know, the kind of interpretation that "feels" right and smart if you're totally ignorant.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Either that or they're somehow extrapolating the idea that you have to adjust relative delay for multi-speaker setups with varying distances to the listener and assume the speed of sound "in cables" is the same as in air? You know, the kind of interpretation that "feels" right and smart if you're totally ignorant.

Well, the audiophile world has spent decades comparing signals in cables to water in pipes, so it's no wonder the gullible audiophiles are confused.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Finally! A sure fire way of finding out whether you are an audiophile...

http://www.clickhole.com/quiz/are-you-audiophile-2491?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=feeds

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

quote:

I named my car “Beats By Dre” then drove it off a cliff.

Holy poo poo.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
The Onion is pretty good and Clickventures are the best game genre of 2015

"I can distinguish between earbuds and over-the-ear headphones." has never been that hilarious in context

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

RoadCrewWorker posted:

The Onion is pretty good and Clickventures are the best game genre of 2015

Clickhole is insanely good. I think I've listened to the "Original theme music from Jaws" a dozen times.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Here's a bunch of bullshit for the PC audiophiles:

Elfidelity PC SNR enhancment for PCI bus

ElFidelity PC SNR Enahancment for USB Power

ElFidelity PC SNR Enhancement RAM Power Purifier

Here's the company web site (in Chinese):

Elfidelity Home Page

And a similar product from HIS:

HisDigital PC Video Noise Enhancment

E: And there's more!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251893473120

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elfidelity-...=item3cf61b27e4

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 22, 2015

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Well I received the second set of ElFidelity SATA filters yesterday. Installed in my other music server - this time without changing the PS (this unit already had a nice fanless PS unit). These things are blowing me away! The added air, transparency, bass depth is excellent - immediately noticeable. I mean a major step forward - sound stage wider and deeper. I'm truly shocked - how $40 worth of these could have such an effect. I have three HDs in this machine, one had a SotM filter the other none. I only added two of the ElFidelities, as that's what I had ordered. I'll order another to replace the SotM SATA and a couple of the fan filters to replace the SotM's already installed.

I have two empty RAM slots so will order a couple of those filters and a PCI-E board as well.

I'm sold on these

http://www.head-fi.org/t/754654/new-pc-music-server-build-project-all-ssd-no-fans/105

Edit: that drat computer will run for 5 minutes after pulling the plug on it.

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 22, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Why isn't he using a first gen PS1 for his cd audio playback

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Don Lapre posted:

Why isn't he using a first gen PS1 for his cd audio playback

Pfft, that's for his stereo setup, not his receiver.

Also, he probably has it covered in three feet of caulking.

Why is it so difficult to tell the difference between shills, people making jokes and True BelieversTM? I read one and a half pages of that thread and I'm already thinking "Nuclear sterilization, yes, that could work."

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

grack posted:

Also, he probably has it covered in three feet of caulking.

Never do that. You have to pack around it with jute and lambswool, then smear pitch all over that. Same effect, but no nasty caulking chemicals eating away at your capacitors.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's "test your hearing" time!

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality

The comments are a cornucopia of the Dunning-Kruger effect and cognitive dissonance.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KozmoNaut posted:

It's "test your hearing" time!

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality

The comments are a cornucopia of the Dunning-Kruger effect and cognitive dissonance.

quote:

I got them all except the Jay Z one, but that's not "music" anyway. I used the mediocre-to-poor built-in speakers on my Dell laptop. The uncompressed files had a fullness to them that was obvious to me, even with my subpar gear.

Amazing first sentence. Also unbelievable third sentence.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

2/6 (iMac -> Minidisc -> Sansui amp -> Mordaunt Short midsize speakers). I think the test mainly showed me that properly compressed 128kbit audio can sound pretty good compared to how the old Fraunhofer IIS encoder used to do things back in the day, where every cymbal hit sounded like absolute garbage. And if that 128kbit audio is in a code like AAC encoded from source? I'm happy with that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I am so in tune with sound quality that I was able to ace the test without even listening :smug:

WAV is slowest to load

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BigFactory posted:

He's half right. Audiophiles are bad but goons are bad too.

In PC hardware analogy, a Behringer UCA202 DAC would be akin to Nvidia selling a GTX Titan X SLI for the price of a 8GB USB flashdrive which will be shunned by our game-o-philes who would rather be discussing to death about whether their $10,000 VGA cables makes any difference to the FPS on their lovely 1024x768 TN LCD screens when playing Doom 1.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Palladium posted:

In PC hardware analogy, a Behringer UCA202 DAC would be akin to Nvidia selling a GTX Titan X SLI for the price of a 8GB USB flashdrive which will be shunned by our game-o-philes who would rather be discussing to death about whether their $10,000 VGA cables makes any difference to the FPS on their lovely 1024x768 TN LCD screens when playing Doom 1.

They improve the emotional depth of the game, duh.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

grack posted:

They improve the objective emotional depth of the game, duh.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The SA Vinyl thread is generally pretty good with most posters just listing their recent finds at thrift stores, cool limited editions and most have an understanding that the vinyl format isn't inherently better than anything else out there. But sometimes...

Brinner posted:

I can listen to vinyl for hours at a time with no listening fatigue, whereas cd/digital kills my ears after an hour or two.

Brinner posted:

No I'm equating critically listening to music for 12-13 hours a day and getting paid for it. Try mixing a decent post rock track after 8 hours of listening to Mr Top End on CD. Suppose it does sound pretty :spergin:

At least he realises it's crazy, but...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

The SA Vinyl thread is generally pretty good with most posters just listing their recent finds at thrift stores, cool limited editions and most have an understanding that the vinyl format isn't inherently better than anything else out there. But sometimes...

First of all there is no such thing as vinyl format and second of all LPs are inherently better than CDs, just not sound quality-wise. :smugmrgw:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hate CDs, so you've got no argument there. I've been MP3/vinyl only for many years now.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
On Friday I'm going down to the Men's Shed to convert a bunch of dude's records onto CD, DVD and MP3. Will report back any audiophile nonsense.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

EL BROMANCE posted:

I hate CDs, so you've got no argument there. I've been MP3/vinyl only for many years now.

What's wrong with CDs?

Other than the fact that FLAC etc. downlads have made it obsolete as a storage format for digital audio, of course.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

KozmoNaut posted:

What's wrong with CDs?
They take up space.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

EL BROMANCE posted:

At least he realises it's crazy, but...

I don't think he's crazy. The loudness war means a lot of poo poo released on CD is overdriven and has the dynamic range compressed all to poo poo. If you tried doing that with vinyl (to that extent, vinyl's where the trend started in the first place), you'd snap off styluses.

Listening to stuff that's all peaks is fatiguing, and I think that's what he's referring to ("Mr Top End").

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Phanatic posted:

I don't think he's crazy. The loudness war means a lot of poo poo released on CD is overdriven and has the dynamic range compressed all to poo poo. If you tried doing that with vinyl (to that extent, vinyl's where the trend started in the first place), you'd snap off styluses.

Listening to stuff that's all peaks is fatiguing, and I think that's what he's referring to ("Mr Top End").

a good post; this is why I cannot listen to the latest albums of some of my favorite bands.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the lack of dynamic range (compression) and overall loudness similar but different? Compression generally means to me that the softest guitar plucking would be the same volume as the drums in the mix, resulting in a really boring and flat sound. This doesn't necessarily mean the waveform is clipped or that the needle would jump out of the groove if it was pressed to vinyl. Loudness is where you see clipping and it's like they just cranked the master volume slider to 11, and this is the real cause of listener fatigue. So with that in mind, modern vinyl albums might have the same level of compression as their CD versions (because they were likely made using the same digital master), but the overall volume is lower to prevent clipping.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

KozmoNaut posted:

What's wrong with CDs?

Other than the fact that FLAC etc. downlads have made it obsolete as a storage format for digital audio, of course.

taqueso posted:

They take up space.

Yep, all these points. I jumped into MP3 back in 1997 and over time with portable devices that supported it (like MP3 CD players, iPods) it just became my absolute go to format while CDs took up space and didn't look as pretty as vinyl (which I started collecting around the same time). In the end I put most of my CD collection into binders with just the front art and the disc, half of which are probably in the wrong slot or on various spindles somewhere.

Quality wise, I have zero complaints about CD at all. It sounds great, and tbh as good as music probably needs to sound for the mass market. Digital gives comparable quality and an absolute ton of convenience positives.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BANME.sh posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the lack of dynamic range (compression) and overall loudness similar but different? Compression generally means to me that the softest guitar plucking would be the same volume as the drums in the mix, resulting in a really boring and flat sound. This doesn't necessarily mean the waveform is clipped or that the needle would jump out of the groove if it was pressed to vinyl. Loudness is where you see clipping and it's like they just cranked the master volume slider to 11, and this is the real cause of listener fatigue. So with that in mind, modern vinyl albums might have the same level of compression as their CD versions (because they were likely made using the same digital master), but the overall volume is lower to prevent clipping.

You're right, and also wrong. Loudness and dynamic compression are indeed two different things, but they've both been used for a while to make hotter records. Photek and some other DNB producers owned their own presses, and would reportedly push the amplitude limit to the point where the cutting needle would break, and back off a little from there, just to ensure that when their vinyl got played at a club it'd be *that* much louder. Partly that's because in club scenarios you have problems with gain before feedback, because with poor isolation of the turntable and really loud speakers the bass from the speakers starts getting picked up by the phonograph cartridge, so maybe you legitimately want a record that's got a higher amplitude to begin with. But CDs can be abused to much greater levels

Perceptually/psychoacoustically, dynamic compression will make things sound louder, even though the peak amplitude might be no higher. That's why (until the CALM act changed things), commercials on TV would sound so much louder than the programming they were accompanying: the commercials were dynamically compressed to a higher average range, so even though they wouldn't show up any louder on an SPL meter, they *sounded* louder because they were all peak. And you definitely get this in CDs; even for reissues of stuff from the 50s or 60s, they just get slammed all the way to the wall and anything that relied on dynamics for effect is just ruined.

RS had a good article on this years ago, and I don't think things have gotten much better since then:

http://www.electriccity.be/Images/The%20Death%20of%20High%20Fidelity%20_%20Rolling%20Stone.pdf

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 10, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You don't have to dance around it by saying dynamic compression makes things 'sound louder, psychoacoustically'. It makes things louder period (post make up gain). Just not the peaks. Everything else literally gets made louder. More/longer parts of the track will be loud. It won't register a higher maximum on a peak meter, but a peak meter isn't a measure of anything but whether you are going beyond the technical limits of your gear. Pretty much any other measurement of loudness will give you a higher readout.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

High Resolution Audio: Everything you need to know

quote:

These sites use compressed file formats with relatively and low bitrates, such as 256kbps AAC files on iTunes and 320kbps MP3 streams on Spotify.

quote:

The more bits there are meanwhile, the more accurately the signal can be measured in the first place, so 16-bit to 24-bit can see a noticeable leap in quality.

quote:

With more information to play with, high-resolution audio tends to boast greater detail and texture, bringing listeners closer to the original performance.
here's the part where they troll their own readers

quote:

As with all the products we review, if you can't see or hear a difference, then save your money...
This is particularly genius because audiophiles are completely convinced of their superior hearing so of course they'll be able to tell the difference.

Some gold in the comments too:

quote:

Nyquist was not a Musician.

quote:

What a lot of tecnical bla, bla,bla from arrogant prigs who are telling me what I can hear and what not........My only reference are my ears, and believe it or not, I hear the difference!

If you don't here it, sorry for you but please find another hobby.........and let me enjoy HIFI!!

Also their top recommended streamer [$3000] looks like an '80s car stereo had a baby with a Creative Nomad

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
After owning a Cyrus amp for a short while, I've convinced 50% of the manufacturing budget went into the 3" thick enclosure because that poo poo isn't cheap from my experience. It definitely didn't go into the internal components.

Form factor is really nice but it sounds like every other "high end audiophile" piece of hardware: crazy bright because audiophiles have hearing damage and equate brightness with "detail".

Chafe fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 11, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

qirex posted:

High Resolution Audio: Everything you need to know

here's the part where they troll their own readers

This is particularly genius because audiophiles are completely convinced of their superior hearing so of course they'll be able to tell the difference.

Some gold in the comments too:

Also their top recommended streamer [$3000] looks like an '80s car stereo had a baby with a Creative Nomad

What really makes it is that the LCD looks like it came from those old blue on grayish green LCDs used for bad Game Boy clone consoles.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

What really makes it is that the LCD looks like it came from those old blue on grayish green LCDs used for bad Game Boy clone consoles.

You wouldn't want color in the screen interfering with the color of the sound obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Endless Mike posted:

You wouldn't want color in the screen interfering with the color of the sound obviously.

It could at least be a slightly higher end black-on-white LCD. :colbert: