Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I picked up Big Pharma. It's a neat little game but the performance is just bad right now. My PC is no slouch and once you get into the later part of games it chugs along and the UI gets unresponsive as a result.

That said, my initial thoughts after seeing videos was fairly accurate. There isn't a lot of optimization of your factories. You have to decide how to place your buildings but that's about as far as it goes. There aren't really any ways to increase the output of your pills beyond using two pill makers to match the output of the ingredients. The game definitely has promise though and I'm curious to see what they do with it in future patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Is there a way to change the color of pollution on the map? I prefer making my bases in grassland / forest biomes and since I'm slightly red/green colorblind, I can't tell where the light red overlay ends on a dark green background. Makes it impossible to tell if it's overlaying a biter spawner. :(

Edit:

Fans posted:

In Factorio/data/core/graphics/ there's an image named pollution-visualization.png, change that to a color you prefer and it'll change your pollution overlay.

You'll need to do it every time the game updates though.

Thanks. I opened it in paint.net and inverted the color. Now I have a light blue overlay.. which is super visible. Better than the old color.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 7, 2015

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
In Factorio/data/core/graphics/ there's an image named pollution-visualization.png, change that to a color you prefer and it'll change your pollution overlay.

You'll need to do it every time the game updates though.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Ambaire posted:

Is there a way to change the color of pollution on the map? I prefer making my bases in grassland / forest biomes and since I'm slightly red/green colorblind, I can't tell where the light red overlay ends on a dark green background. Makes it impossible to tell if it's overlaying a biter spawner. :(

Raise this with the devs on the official forums because they seem to be super open with regards to the development of the game and there's iirc a forum for sbmitting suggestions.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

This video almost made me want to buy the game a second time. Glorious.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ugh, that feel when you've placed 40 furnaces and supporting infrastructure, only to realize you need to move them 2 tiles over, and you're nowhere near robots yet.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

FISHMANPET posted:

Ugh, that feel when you've placed 40 furnaces and supporting infrastructure, only to realize you need to move them 2 tiles over, and you're nowhere near robots yet.

Autosaves

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Haven't played since multiplayer was released, so I'm very outdated on mods and such.

Any recommendations? Maybe someone can make a list of essential mods, as well as quality of life ones. Please?

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Dunno-Lars posted:

Haven't played since multiplayer was released, so I'm very outdated on mods and such.

Any recommendations? Maybe someone can make a list of essential mods, as well as quality of life ones. Please?

Shintaro posted:

In general, I'm not a fan of a lot of the mods out there. They change the feel of the game in ways they shouldn't, IMO. That said, I like modding, and I try to make my own mods as clean as possible: limited gameplay impact, and as compatible as possible with other mods. I just finished a few, if you guys want to take a look.

Link to forums search yielding my mods

I'm looking to update Scrap Mod and Terminal Chests soon. -ish. going on vacation for a while so don't expect updates of any kind for a while.

Pocketbots is very convenient/quality of life. In fact, I hear they're incorporating it as a vanilla element in 0.12.
FARL is pretty great for railroads, and many people use RSO to make rail use more meaningful.

Other than that I dunno... I don't actually keep up much with other people's mods.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Dunno-Lars posted:

0.12 is coming out soon I think, might want to wait for that.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Hagop posted:

0.12 is coming out soon I think, might want to wait for that.

0.12 is at least 3 weeks out. 5 is probably more realistic since the Friday updates specifically say 3 is probably too aggressive and they slipped a week in the first two weeks of the aggressive estimate.

OTOH, I am waiting for 0.12 before starting a new game too.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
I havent played since before 0.11 because I gave no gently caress about multiplayer.

Give me content or give me... one of the other games I can play to pass the time.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

What is new in 0.12 that makes it worth waiting for?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Chain signals for rails is a big thing, and they've done several optimization passes. There doesn't seem to be a hard list anywhere, so you have to keep up with the devblogs I guess.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Dunno-Lars posted:

What is new in 0.12 that makes it worth waiting for?

Stolen from the forums, here's some (But not all) of what is coming.

- Multiplayer enhancements (lag hiding, better pvp/forces support)
- First part of the endgame content. (Build rocket and send it to space).
- Chain signals (trains).
- Combinator and more circuit logic.
- Personal roboport
- Optimization of the game simulation speed (mainly transport belt simulation)
- New graphics of combat robots
- Attempt of steam integration
- Storage tank has a small window showing the liquid inside.
- New turret graphics.
- New tree graphics and behavior (Trees emit leafs and regenerate health slowly).
- Building roads/paths (Concrete and stone bricks)
- Logistic trash fields to the character gui.
- Factorio can run as a dedicated server without graphics
- Reduced number of rendered Roboport connections.
- Eventually new shoot graphics for the new turrets?
- Lab research is now continuous. Science packs have progress bars of usage.
- Inserters can now extract from Roboports and Beacons.
- Path finder will terminate when search is too long.

I know it's a small dumb thing, but Roads for me are pretty neat. I like playing Transport Tycoon in this game. Hoping we get automated trucks, ships and cargo planes at some point.

If you haven't played TTD then you may not see why Chain Signals are a big deal. Here's why

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-81

Fixing those train traffic jams!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I know a lot of the other changes are bigger, but a personal roboport sounds amazing.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Toast Museum posted:

I know a lot of the other changes are bigger, but a personal roboport sounds amazing.

It makes some sexy gifs.

http://giant.gfycat.com/GraveRewardingEchidna.gif

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The robocask of Amontillado.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Too bad that they disappear into your bag of holding. I want a swam of worker bees following me where ever I go.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Fans posted:

- Lab research is now continuous. Science packs have progress bars of usage.

Finally. It looks like this will fix the bug of science packs vanishing into the aether if you have x number of labs that don't divide evenly into the research requirements. As it is right now, if you're researching a 100 pack tech and you have say 11 labs that all start at the same time and are supplied fully, you will have 10 packs be wasted at the last stage. It will also mean you won't have to micro the starting packs in a lab.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Train-circuit network connections, platform building, and some other stuff will be pushed back to .13. .12 still looks very good.

http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-91

I look forward to loading up our .11 stable multiplayer game just to see if anything breaks. We managed to cause several unique desync bugs with our factory throughout the .11 releases.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
I remember one of the main things in .12 being the optimization/rewrite of the belt system, removing collision checking for individual items on the belt in favor of something better. They were saying you could get your factory as much as 50% larger with essentially identical performance. I'm pretty stoked about that, personally, I love using massive amounts of transport belts.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

The transport belt changes also mean that corners no longer have lower throughput than straight sections. :woop:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Factorio: Throughput is my fetish.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Oh man, that's a huge game changer.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Moddington posted:

The transport belt changes also mean that corners no longer have lower throughput than straight sections. :woop:

CASUALS RUINING EVERYTHING

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxOrhH23mBY

:flashfap:

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Moddington posted:

Wait what, where did they say that? I seem to have missed it entirely.

EDIT: For the clueless like me, it was here: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-82

Kenlon fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 24, 2015

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Why are the two sides separating in position? Isn't the way the belt works is a series of metal leaves that continue on a track, including corners? Even if it was one piece of fabric that continuously turned, the outer edge would rotate as fast as the inner.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So watching that video, I'm not sure what that means exactly for throughput. It looks like if you had to sidestep (one right and then one left) there wouldn't be a slowdown. I guess there wouldn't be a slowdown in any direction because gaps will never develop in the chain. So yes, good.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Volmarias posted:

Why are the two sides separating in position? Isn't the way the belt works is a series of metal leaves that continue on a track, including corners? Even if it was one piece of fabric that continuously turned, the outer edge would rotate as fast as the inner.
Total distance around the track. "Inner" has significantly less distance to travel, and now it shows.

It's the same reason why any racetrack has the inner path start ahead of the outer.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Based on the graphics the inside/outside curve shouldn't matter. If it's a single "leaf" of metal turning the corner, the outside will move faster than the inside, but they'll both take the same amount of time to go through the curve. In that video they pieces move at a constant speed, which would only work if it was two independent belts moving at the same speed.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
That's true in reality but it's not the way objects are simulated anymore. Most likely there is an associated speed vector given to them based on the belt they are sitting on. There was a blog post about it a few months ago if you want to dig up the specifics.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Hopefully they will fix (or already have) outside corners, but with this the items on the belt will never decompress, so throughput is constant and identical for both sides. Just means there might be a bit of lag time on one lane when a belt's throughput changes.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Bhodi posted:

Total distance around the track. "Inner" has significantly less distance to travel, and now it shows.

It's the same reason why any racetrack has the inner path start ahead of the outer.

You got that backwards dog.

The outer starts ahead of the inner to make up for "increased travel distance"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrBq0xUqZlg

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Durr yeah brain fart.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Are there any good Factorio videos on YouTube? I was reading through the Factorio blog and they mentioned some "direwolf20" videos and I'm watching them and they're awful because he's insufferable and also really bad at this game (He's been playing for 2-3 hours and he's not even automating the production of basic circuits).

This is also not doing much to change my perception that people that make YouTube videos of them playing games and the people that then watch those videos are basically insufferable.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

FISHMANPET posted:

Are there any good Factorio videos on YouTube? I was reading through the Factorio blog and they mentioned some "direwolf20" videos and I'm watching them and they're awful because he's insufferable and also really bad at this game (He's been playing for 2-3 hours and he's not even automating the production of basic circuits).

This is also not doing much to change my perception that people that make YouTube videos of them playing games and the people that then watch those videos are basically insufferable.

Arumba's newer videos are good

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

concise posted:

Arumba's newer videos are good

As well as Shenrryr and quill18; they all tend to play games with each other, and while Quill is probably the most insufferable, he's at least knowledgeable about the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

SuicideSnowman posted:

I picked up Big Pharma. It's a neat little game but the performance is just bad right now. My PC is no slouch and once you get into the later part of games it chugs along and the UI gets unresponsive as a result.

That said, my initial thoughts after seeing videos was fairly accurate. There isn't a lot of optimization of your factories. You have to decide how to place your buildings but that's about as far as it goes. There aren't really any ways to increase the output of your pills beyond using two pill makers to match the output of the ingredients. The game definitely has promise though and I'm curious to see what they do with it in future patches.

Big Pharma is much more focused on improving your economic efficiency. Actual factory layout is more of a simple puzzle layer on top of the bigger challenge of tweaking your pipeline to increase the value of the outputs versus the cost of processing them.

It's a cool game, but not nearly as engineering-centric as Factorio is.