Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Stathol posted:

Is it worth doing meth even once? Is there a good way to exercise electronics from 6? Is there any reason I shouldn't immediately install every power storage CBM I find?

YES, yes but it might take some work to find, nope!

e: to expand on doing meth or really as many drugs as you can do at once to boost your mind before installing bionics, if you have a stockpile of clean water and food plus a filter/gas mask you will neuter nearly all the risk from doing all the drugs at once.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Well, you might find a use for the plutonium cells that they can disassemble into. But always immediately install Mk IIs.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Keep in mind excessive biomodification can cause mutation.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Stathol posted:

I've been raiding my first lab, and I've found fucktons of bionics. I successfully installed a Power Storage CBM (4% failure), but everything else has a failure rate of 17%+, which seems like a bad gamble. I have 11 int and 6 skill in electronics, first aid, and mechanics.

I've raided 2 libraries (and there are no mansions so far), but I haven't found anything to advance any of those skills further. I'm not sure I can do much about my Int, either. I have the Addictive Personality trait. Is it worth doing meth even once? Is there a good way to exercise electronics from 6?

I'm also not sure what I should do about power supply. I have ethanol burner, battery system, internal furnace, solar panels, and joint torsion racket. The wiki implies that there's no limit to the number of bionics you can install, apart from having issues with letter assignments. Does that only apply to active mods? Is there any reason I shouldn't immediately install every power storage CBM I find?

Taking cars apart lets you raise your mechanics skill up to at least 14, which is the highest I've gotten it so far. If it caps higher than that I don't know about it.

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

Hey, how do you get charcoal out of a constructed kiln (using rocks)? Does it have to have a certain number or what?

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008
The charcoal isn't actually produced until you 'e'xamine the kiln. If it's done, a pile of charcoal will appear on the kiln tile. If not, it will tell you how much longer until it's ready.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

President Ark posted:

Taking cars apart lets you raise your mechanics skill up to at least 14, which is the highest I've gotten it so far. If it caps higher than that I don't know about it.

If there is a cap, it's well past that. I've got something like 21 from dis/assembling cars. It's probably the easiest skill to exercise after a certain point because wrecks are everywhere.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
How do I actually plant seeds and, similarly, make sure the wood I put in braziers or smokers is actually in there and not just going to set the floor/walls on fire?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Seeds are planted by examining a pile of dirt with seeds in your inventory.

Drop flammables on a tile with a SET UP brazier or fireplace (activate the brazier, don't just drop it) and they will burn in the tile only.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

CheeseThief posted:

Keep in mind excessive biomodification can cause mutation.

Does this happen even if you don't screw up any of the installs?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Artificer posted:

You caught squirrels with a sledgehammer?

Compared to Unreal World squirrels, these ones aren't that tough to chase down. All you have to do is corner them.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

Does this happen even if you don't screw up any of the installs?

I don't believe so, you only can get mutations if you fail and if the failure chance is greater than 28%.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Phew, I was afraid I'd have to worry about whether I really wanted to install each thing without going over some unstated limit.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Still getting soaked by rain even with a raincoat on. Am I wearing it under my clothes or something?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Check the rain coat's description, what areas does it cover? The areas it doesn't cover are still getting wet. I think it doesn't cover your head, for example (need a rain hood).

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Check the rain coat's description, what areas does it cover? The areas it doesn't cover are still getting wet. I think it doesn't cover your head, for example (need a rain hood).

Huh. Ok. What about an umbrella? That should protect everything from the rain, shouldn't it? I wielded it but it didn't seem to work.

Edit: The raincoat also has a rain hood attached to it, but I can't seem to figure out how to put on the hood...

Artificer fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 10, 2015

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I think some of those things only apply based on if you're doing other things with your head/hands, ie. you can't use the raincoat hood if you're wearing a helmet, and you can't stuff your hands into your warm coat pockets if you're holding a sword.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

nftyw posted:

I think some of those things only apply based on if you're doing other things with your head/hands, ie. you can't use the raincoat hood if you're wearing a helmet, and you can't stuff your hands into your warm coat pockets if you're holding a sword.

Do you automatically do them if you can then? It didn't seem to work since my head was unencumbered and I think the rain hood still didn't work. And I when I was just holding an umbrella and that didn't work either.

Also, wow dodge takes forever to train. I had a zombie little girl try to murder me for 2 hours before I gained a level in dodge. Doesn't help that combat instantly tanks your focus, it seems like, so experience gain is excruciatingly slow.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Sage Grimm posted:

I don't believe so, you only can get mutations if you fail and if the failure chance is greater than 28%.

Mzbundifund posted:

Phew, I was afraid I'd have to worry about whether I really wanted to install each thing without going over some unstated limit.

I don't know if this is in the most recent build but I believe there is a threshold of biomodding that if you go beyond has a chance to mutate you even if the install is successful. One time I stuffed myself to the gills with mods and got a message that I was "becoming less human", got +1 dex out of it! I think the number of installed mods is a factor, they are powered by plutonium cells after all!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I'm looking at the Ant code and I had a thought

boss-level type monsters, with cool adds and stuff, dropping static loot.

You can craft their corpses into trophies :black101:

would that be cool?

e: I just did my first PR for the project :ohdear: I added a wooden box (wood storage basically,) A foldable wooden frame, and a foldable wooden box.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jun 10, 2015

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
So, a game that was going pretty well last week ended when I finally got pissed off at the dimwit in my home base taking potshots at passing deer and winging me, so I took a swing at him with my ~hanzo steel katana~ and he immediately emptied his uzi into me. RIP.

Next game is doing similarly well, and I'm scouting out the outskirts of a town when I start encountering corpses. The layout rings a bell and I realize I'm close to my old base, which has a huge pile of skill books from when my previous dude cleaned out a school. So I head over there and open the door and BRRT, dimwit empties the uzi into me and down goes guy number two. Turns out the hostility he had towards my previous character carried over.

gently caress it. I'm deleting that world. It belongs to dimwit now.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Artificer posted:

Huh. Ok. What about an umbrella? That should protect everything from the rain, shouldn't it? I wielded it but it didn't seem to work.

Edit: The raincoat also has a rain hood attached to it, but I can't seem to figure out how to put on the hood...

IIRC hoods go up automatically if you are not encumbered in the head slot.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
How hard is it to repair a vehicle? I found a troop-transport truck near a military barricade, but as i drove it back to my base it left a trial of diesel behind it, so I figure there's a leak in the gas tank. I'd like to save it to use as the base for my future mobile base/killdozer, but I need to get in in good enough shape to make it to a garage so I can work on it at my leisure.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I think repairing gas tanks are something like requiring level 3 in mechanics (and the tools to fix 'em ie wrench, duct tape or welder+goggles). Most repair jobs are about that level.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Repairing or replacing a gas tank is ridiculously easy as long as you have 2 or 3 Mechanics skill and the tools you need (a wrench, a hacksaw, and a welder or an acetylene torch or a shitton of duct tape). Examine the vehicle to find the leaky gas tank (if you have multiple tanks, it'll be the one in yellow or worse condition) and use the (r)epair option to fix it. Alternatively, just remove it altogether, hack an undamaged gas tank off of another vehicle, and bodge it into your deathmobile as a replacement. You can do this for multiple gas tanks to give your doomtruck a huge fuel capacity, too.

Working with engines and relatively sophisticated electronics (like vehicle controls, security systems, swappable storage batteries, and some solar panels, for example) is when poo poo starts to get difficult.

e: Which is all academic because if you have the stuff you need to remove and install vehicle parts, you effectively have infinite Mechanics skill, limited only by the time you invest into disassembling wrecks.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 10, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

You can do something similar with slapping in multiple engines to make your car-beast safely faster, but there's a multiplier required for each one placed. So if you have already one, then you'll need at least twice the skill as putting in the first one, three times for the third, and so on. Something something making them work together is probably the explanation for the difficulty increase.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
When are we getting afterburners, nitrous injectors, and rocket boosters? That's what I want to know :colbert:

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

gently caress it, just make the Mad Max total conversion mod.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Forget the mod part, add an actual PR that adds a "crashed jet" part, and allow the jet engine to be recoverable and installable.

Also, allow the diassembly of silo nukes the ability to install the rocket part on your vehicle.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Xand_Man posted:

gently caress it, just make the Mad Max total conversion mod.

I said it earlier, but I really do wish some kind of "Mad Max" style roguelike-sh game existed that had vehicle customization similar to Cataclysm.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

GlyphGryph posted:

Forget the mod part, add an actual PR that adds a "crashed jet" part, and allow the jet engine to be recoverable and installable.

Also, allow the diassembly of silo nukes the ability to install the rocket part on your vehicle.

And the nuke part.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Some fucker busted one of the windows in my shelter and stole a bunch of rags and similar garbage until I intimidated him away (dozens of guns just sitting there), and just now some chick was in the basement/my bedroom/CBM storage area and I couldn't intimidate (only a quest). Fortunately I don't think she stole anything yet, but she's still there (I've moved the CBMs to the storage locker). I'd rather not kill her because of the horrible morale hit and I can't make her attack me.

What's the best way to keep my stash safe in the Evac shelter? Will boarded up windows and doors keep them out?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Surround your poo poo with furniture or seal it in crates. Or you can just put traps in front of the windows and make the greedy assholes kill themselves.

e: I guess boarded up windows and doors would work too for preventing them from seeing anything inside.

e2: Traps are great in general for killing NPCs, you will not take a morale hit from leading one through a field of bear traps or to a zombie mash after convincing them to trade away their ammo/melee weapons.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 11, 2015

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Artificer posted:

Also, wow dodge takes forever to train. I had a zombie little girl try to murder me for 2 hours before I gained a level in dodge. Doesn't help that combat instantly tanks your focus, it seems like, so experience gain is excruciatingly slow.

It might not be the combat. If you have killed a zombie child, you feel very guilty, giving you a 50(?) point drop in your morale

Try using an mp3 player while you train.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

ducttape posted:

It might not be the combat. If you have killed a zombie child, you feel very guilty, giving you a 50(?) point drop in your morale

Try using an mp3 player while you train.

Killing one zombie child shouldn't drop you that hard any more - now, a regional school will do that pretty quick but one will only drop you probably around or less than 5 points. mp3 player or good eats are still a good idea though.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
This is one of those games that's fun to fail at, I must have spent 3 hours today just running around with the flu, sleeping a lot and spending way too much time crafting random junk.

On the plus side I finally figured out that you're supposed to load needles up with thread and you don't actually need to make dozens and dozens of needles in order to sew stuff together :v:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i jumped from a bus at 133mph and was impressed how i crashed though two walls and a bunch of shelves.

706 pain and instant death.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i jumped from a bus at 133mph and was impressed how i crashed though two walls and a bunch of shelves.

706 pain and instant death.

Is it wrong that I would like to build the fastest car possible just to see how far I would go if I jumped out? My goal is through 2 houses if possible.

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

Speaking of fast cars, can we get a tutorial on how best to make a death machine?

Also, how do you go about making smithing equipment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

For the second raid a jewelry shop and there should be some in the back. It's a pain in the rear end to make all the tools by hand.

E: Checked esilofusion: Once you have a forge or a acetylene torch it's crucible->anvil->tongs->chisel->swage & die set. You'll need a poo poo ton of scrap so you want to destroy a car or disassemble a bunch of store shelves.

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 11, 2015