Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006
After playing around a bit last night, I am starting to feel that Monarch Points are spread a bit thin right now. Between tech, ideas, province development and coring/vassal feeding there's a lot to spend points on. Maybe if the base gain was changed from 3 a month to 4 a month it'd alleviate a lot of these problems?

Also agree on the rebels situation, you have to predict where a rebellion is going to start and pray they don't spawn on top of any lands without forts. 10 years of nationalism after 2,000 rebels hold a province for 2 months seems way out of line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I've been diploannexing at the same rate as I did last patch and it has put me 2-3 techs behind the world leaders instead of being 10+ years ahead of time, it feels about right. The policy from Admin/Influence is a big help, giving you a total of -50% cost.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Am I the only one who has a text bug in fort map mode? It says something like "ff_influenced by " instead of showing which provinces that are linked to which fort.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

axeil posted:

After playing around a bit last night, I am starting to feel that Monarch Points are spread a bit thin right now. Between tech, ideas, province development and coring/vassal feeding there's a lot to spend points on. Maybe if the base gain was changed from 3 a month to 4 a month it'd alleviate a lot of these problems?

Also agree on the rebels situation, you have to predict where a rebellion is going to start and pray they don't spawn on top of any lands without forts. 10 years of nationalism after 2,000 rebels hold a province for 2 months seems way out of line.

Definitely agreeing on the rebels thing, but I interpret investing development points as totally optional depending on how you are playing your given country. If you're going to be colonizing or relying on building a broad trading post empire, it's not necessary (since you're playing wide) and is probably a waste of monarch points (or at least shouldn't take a priority). Otherwise if you're building tall and you rely on your provinces being as efficient as possible, you'll want to place a higher priority on investing in development points.

It still seems they're spread a bit thin, though.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Any tips on how to integrate the Teutonic Order diplomatically as Poland? I took the mission to vassalize them because the rewards were good, and now have the mission to integrate them but they apparently still hate me even with +200 relations because of a 50% liberty desire for being historical rivals. I Have a diplo rep adviser, have relations improved to the max and tried to placate the local ruler in the new subject interface but that seems to run out pretty quickly. I haven't integrated Moldavia yet, could their forcelimits be pushing the liberty desire over the edge that much?

fake edit: Never mind, apparently my ironman save disappeared into the cloud somewhere so that run is down the drain. All of my other saves show up though. Guess I just won't take the mission next time and not bother vassalizing them.

real edit: Just tried starting another game, exiting to the menu and then loading it again and the save is also missing. Great.

Gravity Cant Apple fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 10, 2015

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Any tips on how to integrate the Teutonic Order diplomatically as Poland? I took the mission to vassalize them because the rewards were good, and now have the mission to integrate them but they apparently still hate me even with +200 relations because of a 50% liberty desire for being historical rivals. I Have a diplo rep adviser, have relations improved to the max and tried to placate the local ruler in the new subject interface but that seems to run out pretty quickly. I haven't integrated Moldavia yet, could their forcelimits be pushing the liberty desire over the edge that much?

fake edit: Never mind, apparently my ironman save disappeared into the cloud somewhere so that run is down the drain. All of my other saves show up though. Guess I just won't take the mission next time and not bother vassalizing them.

real edit: Just tried starting another game, exiting to the menu and then loading it again and the save is also missing. Great.

EU4 tends to have a history of missions lagging a bit behind mechanics. They are mostly there to either help you replicate history or provide a "this might be a good idea to do" bit of help to people unsure.

Right now the Remind the Knights mission might not be easily possible. I seem to remember someone saying historical friends\rivals can go away after a time so maybe if you keep them at +200 it will. Still doesn't seem like a good idea over just eating them though.

The other option is obviously to grow bigger so they are much smaller relatively. Doesn't matter how much someone hates you, if you are way way more powerful they tend to shut their faceholes quickly.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Is there a writeup of the new buildings with tech unlocks and costs somewhere yet? I keep thinking about planning my province development instead of working :allears:

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.

I'm doing a Poland game now too and did the same route. I got pulled into two wars by Austria when the TO attacked the empire. Danzig got released in the first war, and I vassalized it diplomatically. Then I took the claims in West Prussia in the second war. So TO ended up being I think four provinces when I got the mission and declared on it to vassalize it. Its liberty desire is way up because my vassals are very strong, but I figure once I annex Moldavia and form the Commonwealth, that problem will go away. Annexation costs on Danzig were ridiculous, though. Also, my diplomatic tech is low, which is affecting liberty desire by like 25%, but I'll fix that once I westernize off of Danzig.

I have two questions though. First, I've fed Lithuania a bit because I was lucky and got dragged into a war against LO when I vassalized TO. Considering how expensive Danzig was though, maybe I can game the coring and annexation costs by having Lithuania core that and some of Muscovy or Crimea before I form the Commonwealth. Since it's by an event, it shouldn't matter, right?

Second question. I've helped Novgorod beat up on Moscovy because my goal is to expand into Russia and the Balkans while keeping Austria a strong ally and playing nice to my west. If Novgorod forms Russia though, does it become lucky and start wanting to eat me? It's allied with Sweden (my rival/enemy) and me right now, so I need to look for an opening when Sweden is occupied. I'm about to hit admin tech 9, and would like to have Lithuania blob that way before I form the Commonwealth.

I actually like the slowed growth and how had to sacrifice a bit to core some conquests. What I hate though is the change to aggressive expansion to make it less transparent. Since I can see the effect in my relations with others after making the deal, the mechanic isn't completely hidden. It mostly just makes it harder if you're unable to guess who you're going to be pulling AE from based on culture, religion, and proximity.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stevefin posted:

I am finding the increased coring costs, harsh, but not overall game braking

This is the current tech map mode of my game about 85 years in, and despite all those core cost, annex costs, and even development costs I am still very well tech wise and leaps ahead of most of my border nations.

It has come down nothing much has changed since the AI also has these costs to deal with, that even if you are -5 behind time, the AI is probably even worse off :v:
So they decided that the best way to prevent the player from doing world conquests (kinda weird how the EU devs are so autistic about fighting every mechanic people use to do them since 99.9% of the playerbase doesn't give a poo poo about it) was by making basic game mechanics expensive as gently caress monarch-points wise, meaning the AI who already struggled super hard at keeping up tech wise will now an even bigger push-over (since not only will it expand at a slower pace but it will also level up at a slower rate).

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Vorpal Cat posted:

You know what I almost fine with the more expensive coring, +40% on average isn't that bad and its easier to stay above 50 power projection anyway. Plus it makes -coring cost idea much more valuable.

According to some fancy math on the forums, it's closer to an 80% increase. And diplo-annexing is absolutely ridiculous. Currently integrating Brittany, still just its original four provinces, for 560 diplo points. Christ.

Star posted:

Am I the only one who has a text bug in fort map mode? It says something like "ff_influenced by " instead of showing which provinces that are linked to which fort.

I had that last night, but not today. Maybe BetterUI fixes it? You'll need to manually install it, though, the workshop version is borked (something's eating lines of code in workshop mods since the patch).

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mans posted:

So they decided that the best way to prevent the player from doing world conquests (kinda weird how the EU devs are so autistic about fighting every mechanic people use to do them since 99.9% of the playerbase doesn't give a poo poo about it) was by making basic game mechanics expensive as gently caress monarch-points wise, meaning the AI who already struggled super hard at keeping up tech wise will now an even bigger push-over (since not only will it expand at a slower pace but it will also level up at a slower rate).

Well I can see balancing to make the Ryukyu WC impossible since it's supposed to be impossible but even though I think Wiz usually has the right ideas I think he may have gone a bit overboard on this. Should be an easy tweak though, and again, the fort changes are amazing and make conquest actually fun/challenging.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
So i had a game I wanted to quickly finish up before doing this DLC so I rolled back to the previous version, but every time I attempt to load a game or heck even start a new one the game crashes. Is there any known way of fixing this or should I just write that session off? I dont have any mods enabled that should be interfering.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Now, I haven't played too much of the expansion yet, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt. But I feel like the increased coring and integration costs, especially compared to the fact that tech is still hella expensive, makes me want to avoid province development for the most part. Sure, buildings are fine and all, but the relative importance of technology, ideas, and keeping an area cored makes me feel like spending points on province development is too much of a waste, especially when compared to how much more I gain by straight up Empire building. Maybe I'm just stuck on the old EU4 mindset where everything you do either directly expands your realm, or helps to expand your realm indirectly, but I just don't feel like building up my provinces is that great compared to just conquering an entire nation.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

VerdantSquire posted:

Now, I haven't played too much of the expansion yet, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt. But I feel like the increased coring and integration costs, especially compared to the fact that tech is still hella expensive, makes me want to avoid province development for the most part. Sure, buildings are fine and all, but the relative importance of technology, ideas, and keeping an area cored makes me feel like spending points on province development is too much of a waste, especially when compared to how much more I gain by straight up Empire building. Maybe I'm just stuck on the old EU4 mindset where everything you do either directly expands your realm, or helps to expand your realm indirectly, but I just don't feel like building up my provinces is that great compared to just conquering an entire nation.

Eh, if you have a trade node it's helpful to throw 50ish diplo points at it every few years. Diplo is still not really heavily used so building up trade is nice I suppose.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I kinda like the changes in annex/ coring costs so far, I always thought blobbing was way too easy. But then I always go colonial, so I always have another avenue of expansion/ stuff to do.

and the fort changes are amazing. In an England game I just plopped a fort down on the border with Scotland, went to war them and dragged in France; I just left them to siege the thing as I settled what was going on in the continent. It makes it so much easier to manage multiple fronts.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Yeah, toying with the new development mechanic and the overall increased monarch point costs, there is something off going on IMHO.

Since almost anything relevant require monarch points and their demand has overall increased due to development and increased costs of everything, MP feels more thinly spread than ever and coring/increasing development/diploannexing can easily push you backwards for a very long while.

I should play more to better comment about that, but monarch points might need a revision for post-Common Sense. With technology, idea groups, policies, diplomatic actions, peace deals, coring provinces and now development, their utility as creating "restriction for gameplay purposes" is not as sure as earlier on.

(full disclosure: hell in some non-ironman saves I just gave no shits and added dip points to get peace deals because gently caress waiting for arbitrary limiters, so I might be biased)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
One thing I would seriously consider at this point is increasing the base MP generation to 4/4/4, especially since one of the main complaints about MP costs being high is that you can get hosed on one type of income with bad ruler stats. 7 points per month with a 0 stat ruler, +1 adviser and focus seems pretty acceptable - that means maybe 3 years income to take a high value province. On the other hand your 5 stat +2 adviser guy with focus is only going from 12 to 13 points of income. There's a ton more MP sinks in general than there used to be and everything is more expensive on top of that so a general increase in income seems fair.

Also maaaybe diplo annex could get made a tiny bit cheaper since it feels like a worse deal now than just straight up annexing provinces, doubly so if you grab Admin ideas early. I guess they really want people to use marches.

Furthermore, increased coring costs must be destroyed.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

RabidWeasel posted:

One thing I would seriously consider at this point is increasing the base MP generation to 4/4/4, especially since one of the main complaints about MP costs being high is that you can get hosed on one type of income with bad ruler stats. 7 points per month with a 0 stat ruler, +1 adviser and focus seems pretty acceptable - that means maybe 3 years income to take a high value province. On the other hand your 5 stat +2 adviser guy with focus is only going from 12 to 13 points of income. There's a ton more MP sinks in general than there used to be and everything is more expensive on top of that so a general increase in income seems fair.

Also maaaybe diplo annex could get made a tiny bit cheaper since it feels like a worse deal now than just straight up annexing provinces, doubly so if you grab Admin ideas early. I guess they really want people to use marches.

Furthermore, increased coring costs must be destroyed.

Wouldn't admin ideas reduce diploannexation cost? I thought diploannexing used your modified coring cost

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

firestruck posted:

I've played like 80 years out of a campaign already and haven't experienced any comically disastrous bugs, and have done similar things with every expansion except for conquest of paradise.

Maybe I'm just lucky or something though.

Nah it's literally found one bug of modest seriousness = unplayable mess of bugs. Some posters are highly invested in being hysterical about our releases.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Wiz posted:

Nah it's literally found one bug of modest seriousness = unplayable mess of bugs. Some posters are highly invested in being hysterical about our releases.

That bug being the "If nationalist rebels of your tag win their revolt in another country they take over your country" bug?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mans posted:

Nope, you're just really dumb.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
To be fair I think the not launching game thing and mod breaking is a pretty serious bug

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Koramei posted:

To be fair I think the not launching game thing and mod breaking is a pretty serious bug

Yeah, not being able to play the game at all is generally considered a critical bug. I know the workaround now, but there are a lot of people out there who aren't savvy enough to find the answer and simply won't be able to play until it's fixed.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

axeil posted:

That bug being the "If nationalist rebels of your tag win their revolt in another country they take over your country" bug?

No, that one is obviously serious. It's just that there are a few posters (you know who you are) who sit and wait after every release until someonbe posts a bug (any bug) and then proclaim the game an unplayable mess. It's more cute than anything.

20000 people playing for an hour on 20000 hardware setups will ALWAYS find some serious issues we've missed. We could do QA for a year and this would still happen, and while we will obviously patch these issues they are only affecting a very small number of players.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 10, 2015

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

axeil posted:

Eh, if you have a trade node it's helpful to throw 50ish diplo points at it every few years. Diplo is still not really heavily used so building up trade is nice I suppose.

Development is pretty underwhelming. Take London which has two trade power modifiers and like a starting development level of 4 with a starting production of 1 at 1444; Each development level increase is iirc a base of 50 + current development level + 5*improvements made. That little '5*improvements made' wasn't in the dev diarys iirc and boy it shits things up real quick. Assuming I'm recalling all the numbers from last night right, let's say I've boosted London's production 8 times already so now it has a dev level of 12. If I want to improve it to a production level of 10, it would take 50+12+40=112 diplo points to do so. Assuming you built the +50% trade power building, along with London's two trade power modifiers you just spent 112 diplo points for not even an 2.5 trade power increase.

Development seems mostly pointed towards late game once you got 50% admin efficiency and can stack -dev costs from ideas and religions and whatever. The best use of development I've found early on is only the production development, because admin points is even more of a luxury now and mil points are spent keeping up in tech and ideas; And I don't mean increasing production on centres of trade but on your provinces with really good trade goods since even 2-3 points on a high priced trade good can increase your monthly income by like ~0.30 with just the production efficiency building.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Paradox releases are always kinda buggy and if I was smart I'd wait but with a few exceptions they get fixed relatively quickly.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Wiz posted:

No, that one is obviously serious. It's just that there are a few posters (you know who you are) who sit and wait after every release until someonbe posts a bug (any bug) and then proclaim the game an unplayable mess. It's more cute than anything.

So then what bug are they referring to? I can't really think of any others that are noticeable this round, unless you're referring to the guy who somehow got all of Austria released during a coalition war when they were allies?

Also, I know you said you're not gonna change the coring costs, but any thoughts on re-balancing MP gain to be 4/4/4 rather than 3/3/3? Seems like it'd make your MP pool a bit deeper and allow you to do more with them while still making it harder to expand like crazy and eat vassals the size of France for minimal cost.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

If you start a new game and try to use the same name, it'll ask you if you want to overwrite, so the save is still there somewhere. I'm having the same bug, I can never resume an ironman game, because my available save list is always blank.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Since we're on the topic of bugs, a small one that mildly annoys me: When building army/navy/fort buildings, the pop-up for number of building slots in the province doesn't come up. It makes it a pain to check what provinces I can build them on.

Also, support looking at increasing base power generation to 4/4/4 (maybe messing around with republic stats or max ruler stats at the same time) MP has more uses than before, and an increase in base power gen makes playing in not-europe less aggravating.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

What makes me sad about this patch is AI France. The big blue blob doesn't appear to stand much of a chance against the other AI powers around it any more :smith:

The AI in general seems a heck of a lot more opportunist than it did in 1.11 - if I'm small and get even a little weak in a war a rival dives on me pretty much immediately and the same seems to be true for the AI versus itself - the amount of back and forth warring in Europe is insane,

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Wiz posted:

Annexation costs have gone up way more than they should've, though. I finally got the hang of forts and they're awesome, but really, fix expansion/development costs.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Does increasing production via development increase your trade power in the node that province is in?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Also England is hilariously easy like everyone said. It wasn't even 1500 and I already annexed the isles, vassaled Scotland and put France back into the union. Parliament is garbage though (true to real life? :britain:), none of the edicts are worth giving up a bunch of monarch points, army tradition or even prestige and legitimacy every two decades and it gets worse and worse as you expand and have to open up more seats. Hopefully the royalists event is still there

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 10, 2015

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Wilekat posted:

What makes me sad about this patch is AI France. The big blue blob doesn't appear to stand much of a chance against the other AI powers around it any more :smith:

The AI in general seems a heck of a lot more opportunist than it did in 1.11 - if I'm small and get even a little weak in a war a rival dives on me pretty much immediately and the same seems to be true for the AI versus itself - the amount of back and forth warring in Europe is insane,

Austria's no longer super-strong either. With the forts making it hard for Austria to stack-wipe smaller powers it's a lot easier to beat it in a mostly-even war.

Seriously, the fort changes are fantastic, I can't emphasize that enough.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

Does increasing production via development increase your trade power in the node that province is in?

It definitely does. Maybe admin and military development does too but who has spare admin and mil points to just randomly throw away a hundred of them early on.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there any sort of interface to sort provinces by development cost? I always want to upgrade the lowest hanging fruit but it can be a pain hunting around.

Also I think as a bit of a turtle player I'm wasting way too much on development.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Bold Robot posted:

Yes, provincial trade power scales with production development now, at a rate of 1/production development. For some reason that doesn't show in the tooltip when you're upgrading development, but it does if you mouse over the trade power in the bottom left.

e: Actually I lie, it's 1/original production development, and 0.4 for every production development you add

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Jolan posted:

Annexation costs have gone up way more than they should've, though. I finally got the hang of forts and they're awesome, but really, fix expansion/development costs.

I'm kind of a new player but I feel the same. It's supposed to stop minmaxers from blobbing super hard, but in doing so it really hurts more casual players. I just want to play the game and dream of maybe pulling a WC someday :arghfist::saddowns:

Elman fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 10, 2015

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Wiz posted:

Looks like the Johan symbiote found a new host body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Sheep posted:

Honestly I think diploannexing being stupid expensive now is fine. It was basically easymode just diploannexing everyone before.

I am also really digging the province development mechanic, finally something to do with those extra monarch points that just pile up. I don't think I've got a solid enough grip on it to feel whether the current costs are too high (or ... low?) but overall I enjoy the way the new system lets us do more with our provinces.

The thing is, points only pile up if you're in Europe and you're not doing a lot of expanding. If you play anywhere else in the world, you don't have a surplus of monarch points. Over ten tech levels, not counting any modifiers to cost, you're going to spend 6,000 monarch points. An eastern nation will pay 1,200 more points over that time, Muslim 2,400, Indian 3,000, Chinese 3,600, and a North/South American will pay 15,000 more tech points. An Eastern nation might reach the cap in dip or military points a couple times each game if they have good leaders, but for the most part they're struggling to maintain tech parity.

Look at it another way. Prior to Common Sense, buildings, culture conversion, and most policies were more or less wastes of monarch points. Now we have development instead of buildings, but monarch points are even more scarce, so the issue is even worse. What I really dislike about the new buildings mechanic was that you wouldn't build buildings because they cost MPs, and was excited to see that removed, except it was attached to another mechanic that requires MPs since there's no flat increase, just a percentage.

A big issue with dip annexation is the time it takes to complete. By increasing the cost and reducing the benefit of the statesman advisor, it now takes more time to annex and it's harder to overcome the penalty you get on annexation. I get that integrating France should be expensive, but if I can afford it and I accomplished what it took to make that happen to begin with, I want it to be done before the end of the game.

OneTwentySix fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 10, 2015

• Locked thread