Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Anyone have pics (from anywhere) of a size comparison between the Charge HR and Up2? I have an Up2, it's kind of getting on my nerves (software mostly, it eats up 30% of my iPhone's battery in the background every day). I really wanted an Up3 for all-day heart rate tracking, but that doesn't exist so I'm thinking Charge HR.

By all accounts the Up3 is a completely useless disaster. Get the Charge HR, I've had once since it (secretly) hit store shelves and couldn't be happier with it. I too was looking forward to the Up3 but it is apparently a piece of poo poo without continuous HR tracking and given it's current state I wouldn't count on them delivering on the promised update to include it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

oh I had assumed we could discuss the Apple Watch here because it's a Wearables thread.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Three Olives posted:

By all accounts the Up3 is a completely useless disaster. Get the Charge HR, I've had once since it (secretly) hit store shelves and couldn't be happier with it. I too was looking forward to the Up3 but it is apparently a piece of poo poo without continuous HR tracking and given it's current state I wouldn't count on them delivering on the promised update to include it.
Seconding this, I returned my UP because it randomly stopped working and generally was a piece of poo poo. I got a Charge HR instead and it was a very wise decision.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Citizen Tayne posted:

oh I had assumed we could discuss the Apple Watch here because it's a Wearables thread.

You could, but I doubt anyone would answer you. This thread is basically for wearables besides Apple Watch and Android Wear since those each have their own threads now.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Citizen Tayne posted:

The Apple Watch isn't a wearable, it's an experience.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

The Apple Watch isn't a wearable, it's an experience.

No, that was the keynote I think. The Watch is a... lifestyle? Paradigm? Zeitgeist?

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
So I got a Microsoft Band as a belated gift and it's awesome. It tells me who's calling, shows new messages and emails, weather info, pretty much everything I wanted it to do, plus it seems to track my sleep fairly accurately and it wakes me up just fine with the vibrations.

Just throwing that out there in case anyone was on the fence about it, I love it but then again I must hate myself because I have a Windows Phone.... so take from that what you will.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ev posted:

So I got a Microsoft Band as a belated gift and it's awesome. It tells me who's calling, shows new messages and emails, weather info, pretty much everything I wanted it to do, plus it seems to track my sleep fairly accurately and it wakes me up just fine with the vibrations.

Just throwing that out there in case anyone was on the fence about it, I love it but then again I must hate myself because I have a Windows Phone.... so take from that what you will.

I think there is general agreement that as a product the Microsoft Band works, it is just otherwise a very flawed product not worth the money.

The test is if you actually use it, the band is another product straddling the Smartwatch/Fitness wearable market and all of them are horribly flawed so far. Which is why I have worn a Fitbit for over a year along with a smart watch.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Three Olives posted:

I think there is general agreement that as a product the Microsoft Band works, it is just otherwise a very flawed product not worth the money.

I feel very much that the the Band is equivalent to the Surface Line. The third version will be brilliant.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I don't know. I have had a Band for three months and I love it. I used to have a Fitbit force but I wanted something with more functionality. I think of it as a health band with notification functions.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Haven't they been doing a lot of upgrades to the MS Health backend too? I thought I saw they added bicycling workouts too.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

MC Hawking posted:

Haven't they been doing a lot of upgrades to the MS Health backend too? I thought I saw they added bicycling workouts too.

Yeah, the back end has gotten a lot better, hopefully a V2 of the hardware comes out at some point (better clasp, more comfortable, etc). For the amount of tech you got for the price, it was hard to beat!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Crayvex posted:

I don't know. I have had a Band for three months and I love it. I used to have a Fitbit force but I wanted something with more functionality. I think of it as a health band with notification functions.

Do you use it for everyday wear or just for working out? It's a really intriguing device I think for working out but I still think the Charge HR hits the sweet spot between comfortable every day wear/sleep tracking and workout tracking but I also wear a smart watch so I look like a dork wearing both at the same time.

Apr 7, 2003

Does anyone have their Apple Watch yet?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

Yeah, in that Apple Watch thread I linked last time you asked about it. (Well I don't have mine yet, it's still a month away apparently)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Its sad how partisanship just drives us apart :smith:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

SneakyFrog posted:

Its sad how partisanship just drives us apart :smith:
Positive spin: it just means the segment is growing so much we can't all keep using the same thread!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Citizen Tayne posted:

Millions of people. Have you been living under a rock?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I had a Mi Band up until it died way prematurely earlier today, and came to the conclusion the only thing I'm really going to miss about it is the alarm function. Being able to get out of bed on time and not disturb my partner is really nice, and vibration is much less jarring than loud noises.

Are there any decent bands out there, with a good battery life that are sub $100 to fill that function? I don't care if it doesn't do phone notifications, I'm only really keen for the alarm.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Megabound posted:

I had a Mi Band up until it died way prematurely earlier today, and came to the conclusion the only thing I'm really going to miss about it is the alarm function. Being able to get out of bed on time and not disturb my partner is really nice, and vibration is much less jarring than loud noises.

Are there any decent bands out there, with a good battery life that are sub $100 to fill that function? I don't care if it doesn't do phone notifications, I'm only really keen for the alarm.

My wife and kids all have up24s and they have proven to be great. You can score them on the cheap if you look around, and the battery tends to last 7-8 days.

Apr 7, 2003

japtor posted:

Yeah, in that Apple Watch thread I linked last time you asked about it. (Well I don't have mine yet, it's still a month away apparently)

Should I buy an Apple Watch?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Since you don't know how to read, I'm not sure how useful it would be to you.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SpelledBackwards posted:

Since you don't know how to read, I'm not sure how useful it would be to you.

Why are you giving him a hard time for asking about a wearable in the wearable thread?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Dropping in to say that my Space Grey Apple Watch Sport is truly suiting my needs

Being honest, I wasn't going to buy one until I found out I would get a 50% discount on it, and I only really wanted one for the fitness and cardio aspect of it. I'm not sure that I would have paid $399 + tax but ask me again in a few months.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Why are you giving him a hard time for asking about a wearable in the wearable thread?

Tusen Takk posted:

Dropping in to say that my Space Grey Apple Watch Sport is truly suiting my needs

Being honest, I wasn't going to buy one until I found out I would get a 50% discount on it, and I only really wanted one for the fitness and cardio aspect of it. I'm not sure that I would have paid $399 + tax but ask me again in a few months.

This isn't the Apple Watch thread.

Stop being children.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 401 days!

Thermopyle posted:

This isn't the Apple Watch thread.

Stop being children.

Please don't be so cocksure about your judgements. Review is good.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

TRON JEREMY posted:

Please don't be so cocksure about your judgements. Review is good.

Agreed. As I am still experimental with my wear-y tech.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Three Olives posted:

Do you use it for everyday wear or just for working out? It's a really intriguing device I think for working out but I still think the Charge HR hits the sweet spot between comfortable every day wear/sleep tracking and workout tracking but I also wear a smart watch so I look like a dork wearing both at the same time.

I wear it every single day. It lives on my wrist. I take it off to charge it every other day for 30 minutes.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
If I buy a Galaxy Watch, would I be able to control my Samsung Smart TV?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So I just got a Samsung Gear 2 Neo for $35 (traded for a tablet I hadn't used in a year and a half)
I use a Galaxy Note 4 as well, so I assume they will play well together.
Is it possible to send and receive Google Voice calls and sms from the stock Samsung apps? I use Google Voice, but it appears the watch only wants to integrate with the Samsung apps.
Alternatively, what can I do with this thing? It was kind of an impulse buy. A friend needed a tablet and wanted to offload the watch, and I'd been contemplating getting a smart watch anyway. Figured this would be a cheap way to test the water.
What fun things can I do?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dr Tran posted:

If I buy a Galaxy Watch, would I be able to control my Samsung Smart TV?

I would hope so. Even my Pebble Time does that.

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009
So I bought a Fitbit Charge HR. I just wanted to get an idea of my heart rate during training, I only cared about seeing a value on the watch's screen.

After my first day, it looks like my money would have been more useful lighting cigars. The readings are completely wrong. Half the time it gave me lower HR readings in the middle of exercising than at rest. A quarter of the time it just shows "--". The remaining quarter it shows sensible values, which I cannot trust due to the other 75% of the time. I tried putting on tight, loose, in-between. I tried the other arm, I tried upside down.

I've never been so let-down by first impressions of a well-reviewed product. It was called the best fitness wearable by Wirecutters, who are usually on point.

I'm gonna give it one more shot before I return it. The FAQ says to wear it higher on the forearm if it gets bad readings (ie wear it an inch higher than one normally wears a watch), so I'll do that, but even if that works it will feel a little uncomfortable.

EDIT: it seems like I didn't read the reviews close enough. Having read a few more, and some forum discussions, it appears the Charge HR simply cannot provide accurate measurement (or anywhere close) during training. Which begs the question, what the hell is the point of paying extra for the HR feature over the Charge? Why isn't this the #1 thing the reviews bring up? Why would people care about HR monitoring if they're not exercising?

MachinTrucChose fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 1, 2015

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

MachinTrucChose posted:

EDIT: it seems like I didn't read the reviews close enough. Having read a few more, and some forum discussions, it appears the Charge HR simply cannot provide accurate measurement (or anywhere close) during training. Which begs the question, what the hell is the point of paying extra for the HR feature over the Charge? Why isn't this the #1 thing the reviews bring up? Why would people care about HR monitoring if they're not exercising?

Mine is spot on most of the time, I double-checked with a Polar belt and another product. It seems to vary wildly for users for some reason.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, when I had one I found that it was essentially a $150 wrist-worn random number generator. I returned it after a week.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

MachinTrucChose posted:

I dunno, it feels like it's widely reported that the HR sensor is pretty flaky.

The Wirecutter mentions it multiple times, but they still recommend it over the Charge because of its better clasp.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

gschmidl posted:

Mine is spot on most of the time, I double-checked with a Polar belt and another product. It seems to vary wildly for users for some reason.

Same here. I have a feeling that body fat and skin tone are way, way underplayed by Fitbit on it's effectiveness at reading heart rate.

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I dunno, it feels like it's widely reported that the HR sensor is pretty flaky.

The Wirecutter mentions it multiple times, but they still recommend it over the Charge because of its better clasp.

Haha, I know that now, I just got lazy and only skimmed the reviews.

I've been trying to stop spending hours reading reviews of relatively inexpensive products, as has been my habit all my life (really more of an obsession, like I could spend 30 mins reading reviews of a 1$ app). I now have a job where I work from home, get paid by the hour, and can work as much as I want, so there's a hidden cost to the research because I could've been working.

This was the first time I applied this resolution, and of course I got bit. Lesson learned. I need to find a better balance between not enough research and too much research.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

gschmidl posted:

Just wanted to chime in and say that my Charge HR is very accurate when I compare it to manually checking my heart rate. I've checked it while resting, after climbing stairs, during and after running, sex!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

My Charge HR has been quite accurate on heart rate. I don't have any tattoos on my wrist and have pretty fair skin so maybe that factors in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Syrinxx posted:

My Charge HR has been quite accurate on heart rate. I don't have any tattoos on my wrist and have pretty fair skin so maybe that factors in.

My veins are pretty visible under regular light and one is right underneath the HR sensor so that may contribute to as why works well for me.